Jump to topic:

Site Proposals

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 8:28:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
ConservativePolitico made a post about the option to @tag people. I've posted about this at least twice over the years, and feel like I directly petitioned either Juggle or Innomen (then president) as well as posting in the forums about it... I forget. I will look it up sometime. But I feel like it was addressed when they gave us the notification feature in response. If Juggle ever has the resources to make site changes, I wanted to reiterate my support for this feature. I had a few other suggestions also.

I mentioned this in another thread and someone agreed, so I figured I would ask here separately. I have a feeling I will be overruled; it appears I come off as a "minimalist" of sorts and members here want more more more of everything. But anyway, I find the signatures for forum posts are WAY too long. It's totally fine to have a quote, a link to a debate or a few websites, etc. -- but a lot of them I see are like 10 lines long. When the text is black, it blends in to the forum posts and is distracting. When they're in bold colors, they just make the forums ugly (also distracting). Currently there is a 500 character max signature limit -- how would ya'll feel about making it a 200 or 300 character max?

Third, I have to admit I spend little to no time in the Opinions/Polls section, but I'm not really sure what they're worth. I would suggest eliminating the Polls section or combining them. Have people comment/justify their vote in the poll instead with a brief RFD. Doesn't that combine both? :)

Finally, the number one site feature I'd love to see on DDO (another one I've been asking about for years) is the Blog feature. It would be linked to the member's profile and basically be the equivalent of a Facebook Note. To me it doesn't seem like it would be difficult to implement since we have things like the Opinion sections. But for some reason nobody ever responded to the suggestion. If we combine the Opinion/Polls section, I think Blogs could be a neat feature. Not only does it increase the *social media* aspect of DDO, but it fosers dialog and debate if someone writes about an intellectual subject or expands on something they'd like to discuss.
President of DDO
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 8:34:43 AM
At 12/18/2014 8:28:55 AM, Danielle wrote:
ConservativePolitico made a post about the option to @tag people. I've posted about this at least twice over the years, and feel like I directly petitioned either Juggle or Innomen (then president) as well as posting in the forums about it... I forget. I will look it up sometime. But I feel like it was addressed when they gave us the notification feature in response. If Juggle ever has the resources to make site changes, I wanted to reiterate my support for this feature. I had a few other suggestions also.

I mentioned this in another thread and someone agreed, so I figured I would ask here separately. I have a feeling I will be overruled; it appears I come off as a "minimalist" of sorts and members here want more more more of everything. But anyway, I find the signatures for forum posts are WAY too long. It's totally fine to have a quote, a link to a debate or a few websites, etc. -- but a lot of them I see are like 10 lines long. When the text is black, it blends in to the forum posts and is distracting. When they're in bold colors, they just make the forums ugly (also distracting). Currently there is a 500 character max signature limit -- how would ya'll feel about making it a 200 or 300 character max?

Third, I have to admit I spend little to no time in the Opinions/Polls section, but I'm not really sure what they're worth. I would suggest eliminating the Polls section or combining them. Have people comment/justify their vote in the poll instead with a brief RFD. Doesn't that combine both? :)

Finally, the number one site feature I'd love to see on DDO (another one I've been asking about for years) is the Blog feature. It would be linked to the member's profile and basically be the equivalent of a Facebook Note. To me it doesn't seem like it would be difficult to implement since we have things like the Opinion sections. But for some reason nobody ever responded to the suggestion. If we combine the Opinion/Polls section, I think Blogs could be a neat feature. Not only does it increase the *social media* aspect of DDO, but it fosers dialog and debate if someone writes about an intellectual subject or expands on something they'd like to discuss.

I think that these ideas would greatly improve this website.
"You're more of a fluentic fail doer who sometimes does a doo dah with a diggity ding, managing to push open doors that weren't meant to be opened, only to find that there's no floor, so you instead become spiderman and crawl on the walls." -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 9:45:15 AM

Blogs is actually a really exciting, realistic idea. It's a shame people seem to be saying that Juggle is a 'wall' because I like that suggestion a lot.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 7:00:39 AM
I think we should have "Executive Debates." They would be just like the normal debates, but only the top 100 people on DDO (determined by ELO and Win/Loss Ratio) can participate in these debates. These debates would be serious and professional; trolling would not be allowed. Those that are not allowed to debate in these "Executive Debates" can still view, comment and vote on them.
"You're more of a fluentic fail doer who sometimes does a doo dah with a diggity ding, managing to push open doors that weren't meant to be opened, only to find that there's no floor, so you instead become spiderman and crawl on the walls." -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 7:02:10 AM
I think we should have Team Debates.

I have already had this idea for a while, and I would have posted it a while ago, but I just found the Forums a little bit ago, and have not had the time to suggest anything.

For my Idea, there are 2 teams, which will represent Pro and Con, Instigator and Contender. Each team has 3 to 5 people and has its own private chat room in which the members can discuss their arguments, rebuttals, and counter-rebuttals.

The Team Debate area will have a message section, where you can send a message to your friends. Regardless of whether or not they agree on the debating topic, you can ask them if they want to participate in the team debate with you. If they answer "Yes" to your message, then you can continue in asking them whether or not the want to be on your team. You can also ask complete strangers to participate in the debate, and you can ask them whether or not they want to be on your team or the opposing team.

When all team members are in the chat room, a team leader is nominated (you can't vote for yourself), and then the Team Leader assigns each member roles in the debate (arguments/rebuttals/counter-rebuttals). Each previously given segment will have its own sub-chat room.

There will be a main debate are, which will look like the standard debate page, with comments, votes, and the arguments themselves. The arguments can range from a minimum of 5 rounds to 17 rounds, as shown in the following outline:

MINIMUM TEAM DEBATE ORGANIZATION:

Round 1: Strictly acceptance

Round 2: Both sides present arguments

Round 3: Rebuttals to opponents' arguments

Round 4: Counter-Rebuttals to opponents' rebuttals

Round 5: Conclusion

ADVANCED TEAM DEBATE ROUND ORGANIZATION:

Repeat the concept/outline of rounds 2-4 either 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 times. This means that the Team Debates will have either 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, or 20 rounds, including the conclusion. The conclusion would be round 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, or 20, depending on the debate length.

When setting up the debate, you will have many options to choose from. Once you give the debate a topic, you can set the debate to have 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, or 20 rounds using the specific guidelines above. You can also set how many people you want on each team (3 -5 people). You can then set the word limit in each argument ranging from 500; 1,000; 2,500; 5,000; 7,500; 10,000; 15,000; and 20,000 words. You can set the time to post to accept from 2 weeks, 18 days, and 3 weeks. You can set the time it takes for a team to post arguments ranging from 2 weeks, 18 days, and 3 weeks. You can also set the Minimum/Maximum Elo Ranking needed to participate in the debate using the already existing ELO "Choice" system.

One last thing regarding debate set-up. You can set the debate to the availability level, or the requirements that govern who can accept the debate. There would be three categories: "Open" (any established team can accept), "Limited" (any established team within the set ELO requirements can accept), or "Restricted" (no established team can accept the debate without first sending you a message and having your full authorization).

The debate will count towards each member's Victory Record, Loss Record, Tie Record, and ELO Ranking. On the main debate page, each team member's name will be on the page, with the Team Leader's name first.

Since there would be more people participating than in the regular debates, there would be an extended time period to accept the debate and post arguments, as stated before. For acceptance, the minimum time period would be at least 2 weeks. For the argument posting time period, each side would have 2 weeks minimum to post argument.

The already-existing voting styles can be chosen by the creator of the debate.

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 8:19:36 AM
Another site change that would be ideal is to fix the "four hour glitch".
Yes, this is in part for mafia; however, it applies elsewhere, too.

For example, if I reply to someone in the forum, who responded 30 minutes ago to me, it would be nice to be able to see that they left already, instead of eagerly awaiting a reply.

It's not a huge deal, but I'd imagine, it is also a simple fix.
My work here is, finally, done.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 5:43:37 AM

As much as I'd like to see the opinion and polls sections eliminated, I think Juggle feels like they are a core part of their business model. They create site traffic.

This is a good idea. DDO does have a blog run by some random person, again to generate more site traffic. [http://blog.debate.org...] It would make more sense to let members create their own blogs.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
SebUK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 3:57:36 PM
At 12/19/2014 7:02:10 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
I think we should have Team Debates.

I have already had this idea for a while, and I would have posted it a while ago, but I just found the Forums a little bit ago, and have not had the time to suggest anything.

For my Idea, there are 2 teams, which will represent Pro and Con, Instigator and Contender. Each team has 3 to 5 people and has its own private chat room in which the members can discuss their arguments, rebuttals, and counter-rebuttals.

The Team Debate area will have a message section, where you can send a message to your friends. Regardless of whether or not they agree on the debating topic, you can ask them if they want to participate in the team debate with you. If they answer "Yes" to your message, then you can continue in asking them whether or not the want to be on your team. You can also ask complete strangers to participate in the debate, and you can ask them whether or not they want to be on your team or the opposing team.

When all team members are in the chat room, a team leader is nominated (you can't vote for yourself), and then the Team Leader assigns each member roles in the debate (arguments/rebuttals/counter-rebuttals). Each previously given segment will have its own sub-chat room.

There will be a main debate are, which will look like the standard debate page, with comments, votes, and the arguments themselves. The arguments can range from a minimum of 5 rounds to 17 rounds, as shown in the following outline:

MINIMUM TEAM DEBATE ORGANIZATION:

Round 5: Conclusion

ADVANCED TEAM DEBATE ROUND ORGANIZATION:

Repeat the concept/outline of rounds 2-4 either 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 times. This means that the Team Debates will have either 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, or 20 rounds, including the conclusion. The conclusion would be round 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, or 20, depending on the debate length.

When setting up the debate, you will have many options to choose from. Once you give the debate a topic, you can set the debate to have 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, or 20 rounds using the specific guidelines above. You can also set how many people you want on each team (3 -5 people). You can then set the word limit in each argument ranging from 500; 1,000; 2,500; 5,000; 7,500; 10,000; 15,000; and 20,000 words. You can set the time to post to accept from 2 weeks, 18 days, and 3 weeks. You can set the time it takes for a team to post arguments ranging from 2 weeks, 18 days, and 3 weeks. You can also set the Minimum/Maximum Elo Ranking needed to participate in the debate using the already existing ELO "Choice" system.

One last thing regarding debate set-up. You can set the debate to the availability level, or the requirements that govern who can accept the debate. There would be three categories: "Open" (any established team can accept), "Limited" (any established team within the set ELO requirements can accept), or "Restricted" (no established team can accept the debate without first sending you a message and having your full authorization).

The debate will count towards each member's Victory Record, Loss Record, Tie Record, and ELO Ranking. On the main debate page, each team member's name will be on the page, with the Team Leader's name first.

Since there would be more people participating than in the regular debates, there would be an extended time period to accept the debate and post arguments, as stated before. For acceptance, the minimum time period would be at least 2 weeks. For the argument posting time period, each side would have 2 weeks minimum to post argument.

The already-existing voting styles can be chosen by the creator of the debate.

The concept has been out for a long time this is not something unique it's just that Juggle seems to have left us alone for the last few months and there is no sign of them coming back.
I WILL DECIDE WHAT THIS DEBATE IS ABOUT. I AM SPIRITUAL, NOT RELIGIOYUS. YOU DONT HAVE TO BE RELIGIOUS TO BELIEVE IN GOD, AND YOU DO WORSHIP MONEY IF YOU CARE MORE ABOUT YOUR WALLET THAAN YOU DO THE POOR. YOU ARE A TROLL THAT IS OUT FOR ATTENTUION."- SitaraMusica