Jump to topic:

*Official* Beginner Tournament Sign-ups

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 10:49:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
There are four mentors for this tournament: debatability, 16kadams, whiteflame, and zaradi. Every participants will be assigned to a mentor (each mentor is assigned to two beginners).

If you're relatively new to DDO, this is the tournament for you! There are 8 spots for beginners, and every beginner will be assigned to a mentor who can help point them in the right direction in terms of research, proofread their arguments before posting, or coach them on general debate strategy and rebuttals.

== Eligibility ==

You qualify as a "beginner" if: (1) you have less than 6 months on the site AND ten or fewer debates, or (2) you have less than 2 years on the site AND have below a 50% win ratio.

== Timing requirements ==

The tournament will start on December 23. By that time, you and your opponent will need to agree on a topic and a side. If you have not decided on a topic and already started a debate by 2 PM DDO time (3 PM Eastern, 12 PM Pacific), I will randomly assign you a topic and a side from past Public Forum or Lincoln Douglas debate topics. You then have 24 hours to start the debate. If you have not started within 24 hours, the person responsible for the delay forfeits (i.e. if the person who was supposed to instigate doesn't create the debate, the instigator forfeits; if the person who was supposed to accept the debate does not accept, that person forfeits). I will specify later who is supposed to instigate.

Each debate should be 4 rounds, 8,000 characters per round, 2 days between rounds. First round is acceptance only. The contender needs to type "I accept" and hit submit so that Round 2 can begin by 2 PM on December 24. The voting period should be set to 1 week. You should set voting to "open voting" (although only assigned judges votes will count for the tournament).

== Mechanics ==

I will pair the debaters high-low based on Elo. The tournament is single elimination, so there will be three rounds of debate (round 1: 8 debaters, round 2: 4 debaters, round 3: 2 debaters ["finals"]).

== Advice ==

These are four really excellent mentors and you are all very lucky. However, try to be proactive in seeking help. These four mentors will be there for you, but they aren't going to force themselves on you. Those of you who ask for more help will receive more help. And leave enough time before you need to post your argument in order to ask for advice. If you ask a mentor to proofread your argument 3 hours before it needs to be posted, you are not likely to get much help (if any) on it.

== Signups ==

Put your name below if you want to join the tournament.

== Judges ==

Please place your name below if you are willing to judge. You only need to commit to judging two debates in the first round of the tournament, and one debate in the second. You are welcome to judge finals if you want.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 10:54:36 PM
== Judges ==

Please place your name below if you are willing to judge. You only need to commit to judging two debates in the first round of the tournament, and one debate in the second. You are welcome to judge finals if you want.

1. Ajab (if the debate is about Science, Pure Philosophy, Religion)
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 10:55:44 PM
At 12/20/2014 10:49:13 PM, bluesteel wrote:
There are four mentors for this tournament: debatability, 16kadams, whiteflame, and zaradi. Every participants will be assigned to a mentor (each mentor is assigned to two beginners).

If you're relatively new to DDO, this is the tournament for you! There are 8 spots for beginners, and every beginner will be assigned to a mentor who can help point them in the right direction in terms of research, proofread their arguments before posting, or coach them on general debate strategy and rebuttals.

== Eligibility ==

You qualify as a "beginner" if: (1) you have less than 6 months on the site AND ten or fewer debates, or (2) you have less than 2 years on the site AND have below a 50% win ratio.

== Timing requirements ==

The tournament will start on December 23. By that time, you and your opponent will need to agree on a topic and a side. If you have not decided on a topic and already started a debate by 2 PM DDO time (3 PM Eastern, 12 PM Pacific), I will randomly assign you a topic and a side from past Public Forum or Lincoln Douglas debate topics. You then have 24 hours to start the debate. If you have not started within 24 hours, the person responsible for the delay forfeits (i.e. if the person who was supposed to instigate doesn't create the debate, the instigator forfeits; if the person who was supposed to accept the debate does not accept, that person forfeits). I will specify later who is supposed to instigate.

Each debate should be 4 rounds, 8,000 characters per round, 2 days between rounds. First round is acceptance only. The contender needs to type "I accept" and hit submit so that Round 2 can begin by 2 PM on December 24. The voting period should be set to 1 week. You should set voting to "open voting" (although only assigned judges votes will count for the tournament).

== Mechanics ==

I will pair the debaters high-low based on Elo. The tournament is single elimination, so there will be three rounds of debate (round 1: 8 debaters, round 2: 4 debaters, round 3: 2 debaters ["finals"]).

== Advice ==

These are four really excellent mentors and you are all very lucky. However, try to be proactive in seeking help. These four mentors will be there for you, but they aren't going to force themselves on you. Those of you who ask for more help will receive more help. And leave enough time before you need to post your argument in order to ask for advice. If you ask a mentor to proofread your argument 3 hours before it needs to be posted, you are not likely to get much help (if any) on it.

== Signups ==

== Judges ==

1. Lannan13 (can do all)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 11:27:52 PM
At 12/20/2014 10:54:36 PM, Ajabi wrote:
== Judges ==

Yeah if you're not willing to do any topic you should not be a judge...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 11:36:24 PM
At 12/20/2014 11:27:52 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 12/20/2014 10:54:36 PM, Ajabi wrote:
== Judges ==

Yeah if you're not willing to do any topic you should not be a judge...

eh okay then
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 11:49:36 PM

== Signups ==

== Judges ==

1. Lannan13 (can do all)
2. Ajabi
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
TheSpoonyRealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 11:58:07 PM
I'm definitely interested in this. I just joined the site, and I've gone through a few debates now. This should be good practice.

== Signups ==

1. TheSpoonyRealist
BDPershing
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 12:35:16 AM
At 12/20/2014 11:58:07 PM, TheSpoonyRealist wrote:
I'm definitely interested in this. I just joined the site, and I've gone through a few debates now. This should be good practice.

== Signups ==

1. TheSpoonyRealist
2. BDPershing

Sure why not, give me a topic and i'll debate anything hue hue.
Nivek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 1:48:09 AM

== Signups ==

1.TheSpoonyRealist
2.BDPershing
3.Nivek

YESS!! I need something like this. I have been arguing in impromptu debates all my life and I have never debate in a written format before,not as extensive as this. definitely interested.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 2:40:53 AM
== Signups ==

1.TheSpoonyRealist
2.BDPershing
3.Nivek

== Judges ==

1. Lannan13
2. Ajabi (?)
3. BOT
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
BoggyDag
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 5:40:40 AM
What a pity I don't qualify, although most of my debates were won against newbies and forfeiters.
And almost every debate instigated by a more experienced member is "apply in comments" format. How are we new users ever going to build up a reputation like this?
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 5:51:39 AM
At 12/21/2014 5:40:40 AM, BoggyDag wrote:
What a pity I don't qualify, although most of my debates were won against newbies and forfeiters.
And almost every debate instigated by a more experienced member is "apply in comments" format. How are we new users ever going to build up a reputation like this?

Fully forfeited debates don't count against you for the 10 debates. I think you still qualify, looking through your debate history.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 5:52:47 AM
At 12/21/2014 1:13:57 AM, Wylted wrote:
I'd like to be in the PM with Whiteflame and his mentee if at all possible.

Your wish has been granted.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 5:57:31 AM
== Signups ==

1.TheSpoonyRealist
2.BDPershing
3.Nivek
4. BoggyDag [please confirm]

== Judges ==

1. Lannan13
2. BOT

Ajab has been removed as a judge due to an unwillingness to judge certain topics. If this has been in error ajab, please inform me. But that is what I took for your responses in this thread.
BoggyDag
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 5:57:36 AM
== Signups ==

1.TheSpoonyRealist
2.BDPershing
3.Nivek
4. BoggyDag

Not sure if I should feel flattered for being accepted or humbled by just having been labeled as a beginner. Either way, I'm in for this. Thanks!
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 7:04:32 AM
At 12/21/2014 1:13:57 AM, Wylted wrote:
I'd like to be in the PM with Whiteflame and his mentee if at all possible.

As long as whomever is involved is OK with it, I'm good to include you.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 10:18:12 AM
Note : The winners of this will get their name in the misc section tournament thread.

Thanks to all the people volunteering to be mentors, judges, and competitors. Bluesteel is running this one for me so I can focus tasks elsewhere. (more tournies soon as well)

I'm sure if you want to contribute or help in some way or another, he would be happy to have the help. Just shoot him a message in a pm
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 12:35:03 PM
At 12/21/2014 5:57:31 AM, bluesteel wrote:
== Signups ==

1.TheSpoonyRealist
2.BDPershing
3.Nivek
5.zmikecuber

== Judges ==

1. Lannan13
2. BOT

Ajab has been removed as a judge due to an unwillingness to judge certain topics. If this has been in error ajab, please inform me. But that is what I took for your responses in this thread.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 12:36:47 PM
At 12/21/2014 12:35:03 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
== Signups ==

1.TheSpoonyRealist
2.BDPershing
3.Nivek

== Judges ==

1. Lannan13
2. BOT
3. zmikecuber

Nice try, zmike.
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 12:59:53 PM
At 12/21/2014 12:36:47 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 12/21/2014 12:35:03 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
== Signups ==

1.TheSpoonyRealist
2.BDPershing
3.Nivek
5.That1User

== Judges ==

1. Lannan13
2. BOT
3. zmikecuber

I would like to be part of the tornament.
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 1:06:20 PM
At 12/21/2014 1:03:58 PM, RevNge wrote:
Can I get in since three or four of them are rap battles?

If so, /in

^This b***h gonnna die
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 1:08:58 PM
At 12/21/2014 1:06:20 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

If so, /in

^This b***h gonnna die

This b1tch can't spell right. ;D
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 1:11:40 PM

If so, /in

I think RevNge should qualify.
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 1:12:30 PM
At 12/21/2014 1:11:40 PM, That1User wrote:

If so, /in

Thanks for the support. :3
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 1:13:44 PM
At 12/21/2014 1:12:30 PM, RevNge wrote:

If so, /in

I now unsupport you, because you called Yama a b1ch :3 Appologize now to Yama to regain my support.
R13; Marcus Aurelius
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 1:20:06 PM
At 12/21/2014 1:13:44 PM, That1User wrote:

If so, /in

I now unsupport you, because you called Yama a b1ch :3 Appologize now to Yama to regain my support.

But he called me a b1tch! D:>
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 1:20:51 PM
At 12/21/2014 1:20:06 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 12/21/2014 1:13:44 PM, That1User wrote:

If so, /in

But he called me a b1tch! D:>

Then Yama must appologize to you too.
R13; Marcus Aurelius