Jump to topic:

Apparently I'm Racist

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 11:55:39 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Because I recently posted a debate that challenged the criteria by which intellect is measured using shock value as a key point to draw in discussion. That in turn necessitates that I hate black people apparently

I mean ignore the fact that I'm addicted to rap, have nearly 50 debates about battle rap, am dating a half black girl, my favorite artist of all time is the weeknd ( https://www.youtube.com...), did a debate about why A** is greater than boobs, wrote a 50 page paper about why the equality we extended to blacks should be extended to homosexuals, and am addicted to koolaid (jk)

http://tinypic.com...

If anything I should have been born black.

Advice from your leader, the peoples champ, the guy that gives no sh*ts

Stop getting so freaking butt hurt over a topic that promotes open discussion about things that need to be discussed. Challenging the status quo is how society has evolved in the past, and playing devils advocate is a great way to promote that type of discussion while teaching people to ground and defend their beliefs. This is a debate site, if you don't like controversial topics then you have a long road ahead of you.

*Just Dance*
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:09:35 PM
At 12/23/2014 12:03:30 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
id also like to clear up that im not racist either because i have black friends so..,.

That statement is literally invalid, it may not validate that you are not racist but if you eat like a duck, dance like a duck, F**k like a duck, chances are you probably are going to get along with ducks.

Unless your suggesting I subconsciously hate black people, which I can assure you is false. I hate every race equally, I extend my ill will in a fair wary.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:10:34 PM
At 12/23/2014 11:55:39 AM, Mikal wrote:
Because I recently posted a debate that challenged the criteria by which intellect is measured using shock value as a key point to draw in discussion. That in turn necessitates that I hate black people apparently

I mean ignore the fact that I'm addicted to rap, have nearly 50 debates about battle rap, am dating a half black girl, my favorite artist of all time is the weeknd ( https://www.youtube.com...), did a debate about why A** is greater than boobs, wrote a 50 page paper about why the equality we extended to blacks should be extended to homosexuals, and am addicted to koolaid (jk)

Stop getting so freaking butt hurt over a topic that promotes open discussion about things that need to be discussed. Challenging the status quo is how society has evolved in the past, and playing devils advocate is a great way to promote that type of discussion while teaching people to ground and defend their beliefs. This is a debate site, if you don't like controversial topics then you have a long road ahead of you.

*Just Dance*

I have no idea what you're talking about re: the accusation you're whining about, but separate of all that, you sound obnoxious, and a little racist, in this post.

But, as a sidebar, is that avatar the girl you're dating? Because, gaddaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

Anyway, aren't you student body president or whatever? Shouldn't you be above shittalk complaining in the bathroom while smoking cigarettes with your bros?
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:12:16 PM
At 12/23/2014 12:10:34 PM, Such wrote:

*Just Dance*

I have no idea what you're talking about re: the accusation you're whining about, but separate of all that, you sound obnoxious, and a little racist, in this post.

But, as a sidebar, is that avatar the girl you're dating? Because, gaddaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

Anyway, aren't you student body president or whatever? Shouldn't you be above shittalk complaining in the bathroom while smoking cigarettes with your bros?

not at all, I take stuff at face value
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:13:43 PM
I listened to like, 4 lines of that song...trash.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:13:48 PM
At 12/23/2014 12:12:16 PM, Mikal wrote:

*Just Dance*

Well, it's neither here nor there. I've seen some pretty intolerant, ridiculously racist garbage spouted in these forums, and none of them were from you.

<shrug>
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:19:45 PM
I'm brown. I like dark chocolate, not white chocolate.
f*ck uwhite chocolate- im racist
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:23:39 PM
At 12/23/2014 12:19:45 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
We should impeach you and deport you to edeb8 for not appreciating the severity of the accusations made against our nation's all powerful president! T^T
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:24:16 PM
At 12/23/2014 12:23:39 PM, Daltonian wrote:
At 12/23/2014 12:19:45 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
We should impeach you and deport you to edeb8 for not appreciating the severity of the accusations made against our nation's all powerful president! T^T

I am on edeb8 bish
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:31:26 PM
At 12/23/2014 12:13:48 PM, Such wrote:
At 12/23/2014 12:12:16 PM, Mikal wrote:

*Just Dance*

Well, it's neither here nor there. I've seen some pretty intolerant, ridiculously racist garbage spouted in these forums, and none of them were from you.

<shrug>

thank you sir
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:33:30 PM
At 12/23/2014 12:13:43 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Dude abel is amazing
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:36:12 PM
At 12/23/2014 12:33:30 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/23/2014 12:13:43 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Dude abel is amazing

I don't care who that is...but I don't like him, lol
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:37:40 PM
At 12/23/2014 12:27:40 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Why you lyin' to kick it, Mikal? You and I are acutely aware of the flood of PMs to one another, which has stuffed our respective inboxes to bursting, in which you painstakingly detail your "general apprehension concerning Negroes".

I have got no inbox messages, just verbal criticism. Which is like literally sad, because Im like the most anti racist person in the entire world. My fiance read this stuff and responded with this to me lol

Marina - WTF you are racist lmao? You sit on the computer all day listening to rap, and everything about you is black other than your skin tone. You are literally more black than my uncle in Africa and that's pretty damn black

(I shed a tear lol)

granted people will think what they will, I just find it humorous that a debate challenging the structure by which intellect is measured necessitates that I am racist. It actually erks me a little lol. One can't spark controversy without getting piles of S** dumped on him in the process. As is life
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:37:44 PM

*Just Dance*

It seems kind of racist that you're using stereotypes to prove you're not racist. And your "model debate" can be taken by some as objectifying women. I think a better thing would have been for you to refrain from doing things that people might find offensive when you're president. Your goal is be to please people and improve the quality of the site, not to spark controversy.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:40:59 PM
At 12/23/2014 12:33:20 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
It is kinda racist that your main defense against being racist is "I like rap." Just saying.

Racism - the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Truism - a statement that is obviously true and says nothing new or interesting.

Explain to me how that debate can be both racist and a truism. Racism attributes characteristics because of preconceived ideas and notions, someone may have about a race. IF something is an uncontested fact and is applied normatively and cannot be contested, it's not racism.

Thats like saying white people are white is a racist remark.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:42:25 PM
At 12/23/2014 12:37:44 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

*Just Dance*

It seems kind of racist that you're using stereotypes to prove you're not racist. And your "model debate" can be taken by some as objectifying women. I think a better thing would have been for you to refrain from doing things that people might find offensive when you're president. Your goal is be to please people and improve the quality of the site, not to spark controversy.

I am not in a position to please people, I am in a position to make the site produce better quality debates, discussion, tournaments, etc.

What people think about me is irrelevant. I just find it humorous.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:44:58 PM
At 12/23/2014 12:40:59 PM, Mikal wrote:
It is kinda racist that your main defense against being racist is "I like rap." Just saying.

Racism - the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Especially, but not solely. The idea that all blacks are magically endowed with some magic genes to be excellent rappers is racist, just as the idea that all Asians are good at maths is racist. Racism is not just negative.

Truism - a statement that is obviously true and says nothing new or interesting.

All black people are good at rap is not a truism. It's a gross generalization. And guess what? Making gross generalizations based on skin color is racist.

Explain to me how that debate can be both racist and a truism. Racism attributes characteristics because of preconceived ideas and notions, someone may have about a race. IF something is an uncontested fact and is applied normatively and cannot be contested, it's not racism.

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:47:08 PM
At 12/23/2014 12:44:58 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Especially, but not solely. The idea that all blacks are magically endowed with some magic genes to be excellent rappers is racist, just as the idea that all Asians are good at maths is racist. Racism is not just negative.

All black people are good at rap is not a truism. It's a gross generalization. And guess what? Making gross generalizations based on skin color is racist.

The op of this was a joke lol (hence the lol at the end of it). I was poking fun at people thinking i'm racist.

This entire thing sparked from the debate, which is literally not racist by the definitions I just set forth. There is no generalizing anything in that debate, as it is literally factual.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:48:34 PM
At 12/23/2014 12:47:08 PM, Mikal wrote:

The op of this was a joke lol (hence the lol at the end of it). I was poking fun at people thinking i'm racist.

This entire thing sparked from the debate, which is literally not racist by the definitions I just set forth. There is no generalizing anything in that debate, as it is literally factual.

I'm not talking about this debate. I'm talking about your defense in this forum post.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:52:03 PM
At 12/23/2014 12:42:25 PM, Mikal wrote:

*Just Dance*

I am not in a position to please people, I am in a position to make the site produce better quality debates, discussion, tournaments, etc.

And that's a problem, how would you like it if the real president said that? You're supposed to care about popular opinion since the people are the ones that elected you.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:53:36 PM
At 12/23/2014 12:48:34 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 12/23/2014 12:47:08 PM, Mikal wrote:

I'm not talking about this debate. I'm talking about your defense in this forum post.

I'm aware that is why I said it was a joke lol.

(lol implies joke I would hope)

Granted the defense is still somewhat true in a way as well. I guess I can't see myself as a racist because of who I hang out with and what I am like in real life lol. I did not imply that all black people were good at rap, but rap itself is literally immersed in and stemmed from black culture.

If you think that's not a truism , i'll be happy to debate that as well.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:55:12 PM
I was born Puerto Rican :D

So if you accuse me of being racist, then you become the racist :D

I have a perfect racism protection shield! :P
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:56:02 PM
At 12/23/2014 12:52:03 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

*Just Dance*

And that's a problem, how would you like it if the real president said that? You're supposed to care about popular opinion since the people are the ones that elected you.

If officials listened to popluar opinion in office, the United States would fail in the span of a year. That is an ad populum be definition (fallacy). Just because a majority of people believe something should work a specific way, or that something is true does not mean its true. If that were the case we would still believe the world is flat, and there would be no need for the evolution of thought and ideas.

I am going to be myself regardless of what i'm doing. That will never change, in life or on here
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:57:59 PM
At 12/23/2014 12:56:02 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/23/2014 12:52:03 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

*Just Dance*

If officials listened to popluar opinion in office, the United States would fail in the span of a year. That is an ad populum be definition (fallacy). Just because a majority of people believe something should work a specific way, or that something is true does not mean its true. If that were the case we would still believe the world is flat, and there would be no need for the evolution of thought and ideas.

I am going to be myself regardless of what i'm doing. That will never change, in life or on here

Fine, do what you will.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln