Total Posts:57|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Analysis on 10 best rated debaters in DDO

Fummy
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 8:18:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hi, I made an analysis on the 10 best rated debaters in DDO. These are as follows:
Mikal
RoyLatham
Danielle
Kleptin
bluesteel
JustCallMeTarzan
bsh1
thett3
Ore_Ele
TheSkeptic

I have made some statistical notes about what it says on their profiles.
(Note: Anything with --- before and after it is the dominant trait in its category.)
Party:
---Republican III---

Relationship:
Engaged I
---Married II---
---In A Relationship II---
It's Complicated I
Single I

Education:
---College IIIII---
Graduate Degree II
Post Doctoral I
Associates Deg

Ethnicity:
-White IIIII-
Asian II

Income:
---35-50k pa II---
---75-100k pa II---
25k-35k pa I

Occupation:
---Financial Services II---
Self-Employed I
Medical I
Hospitality I
Legal I

Religion:
---Agnostic III---
---Atheist III---
Catholic I
Protestant I
Other Christian I

Ideology:
---Conservative III---
Progressive I
Liberal I

So therefore, statistically a potential champion debater would have the traits
as follows:

-Conservative ideology
-Supporter of Republican Party
-Married/In a relationship
-Received a college education
-White ethnicity
-Income of either 35-50k or 75-100k per annum
-Working in the Financial Service industry

Please note that I am not being racist in this forum. This is just a statistical analysis.
What do you think?
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 8:22:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/24/2014 8:18:53 AM, Fummy wrote:
Hi, I made an analysis on the 10 best rated debaters in DDO. These are as follows:
Mikal
RoyLatham
Danielle
Kleptin
bluesteel
JustCallMeTarzan
bsh1
thett3
Ore_Ele
TheSkeptic

I have made some statistical notes about what it says on their profiles.

You forgot "gender." There are four females (danielle, me, thett, and Ore_ele).
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
lannan13
Posts: 23,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 8:24:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
These are only the top 10 debaters in term of ELO, not wins, not percentile, I would suggest that you also do the Percentile and Top 10 users in terms of wins as well, because that would give you a better perception of analysis on the official top 10 debaters on the site.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 8:28:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/24/2014 8:18:53 AM, Fummy wrote:
Hi, I made an analysis on the 10 best rated debaters in DDO. These are as follows:
Mikal
RoyLatham
Danielle
Kleptin
bluesteel
JustCallMeTarzan
bsh1
thett3
Ore_Ele
TheSkeptic

I have made some statistical notes about what it says on their profiles.
(Note: Anything with --- before and after it is the dominant trait in its category.)
Party:
---Republican III---

Relationship:
Engaged I
---Married II---
---In A Relationship II---
It's Complicated I
Single I

Education:
---College IIIII---
Graduate Degree II
Post Doctoral I
Associates Deg

Ethnicity:
-White IIIII-
Asian II

Income:
---35-50k pa II---
---75-100k pa II---
25k-35k pa I

Occupation:
---Financial Services II---
Self-Employed I
Medical I
Hospitality I
Legal I

Religion:
---Agnostic III---
---Atheist III---
Catholic I
Protestant I
Other Christian I

Ideology:
---Conservative III---
Progressive I
Liberal I

So therefore, statistically a potential champion debater would have the traits
as follows:

-Conservative ideology
-Supporter of Republican Party
-Married/In a relationship
-Received a college education
-White ethnicity
-Income of either 35-50k or 75-100k per annum
-Working in the Financial Service industry

Please note that I am not being racist in this forum. This is just a statistical analysis.
What do you think?

None of these things correlate with being a good debater except for education level and possibly income. Your sample size is far too small to prove causation and for many categories, nearly 50% of the debaters did not specify, so you assumed the remaining debaters were representative of the sample. For liberal/conservative for example, there are definitely more liberals on that list of 10 than conservatives, but that's not reflected on the profiles.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Fummy
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 8:30:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Adding in the next ten best debater, it changes slightly.

Party:
---Republican IIIII---
Independent III
Libertarian II
Tea Party Patriots I

Relationship:
Engaged II
Married III
---In A Relationship IIII---
It's Complicated I
---Single IIII---

Education:
---College IIIIIIII---
Graduate Degree IIII
Post Doctoral I
Associates Deg I
High School II

Ethnicity:
-White IIIIIIIIIII-
Asian II
Latino I
Black I

Income:
35-50k pa II
---75-100k pa III---
25k-35k pa II
---Less than 25k III---

Occupation:
---Financial Services II---
Self-Employed I
Medical I
Hospitality I
Legal I
Technical I
---Student II---
Labor I
Retail I
Sales I

Religion:
Agnostic IIII
---Atheist IIIIII---
Catholic II
Protestant I
Other Christian IIII
Baptist I

Ideology:
---Conservative IIIIIII---
Progressive I
Liberal I
Anarchists II
Libertarian II
Moderate I

Now the statistical best debater is:
-Supporter of Republican Party
-Conservative Ideology
-In a relationship/Single
-College Education
-White ethnicity
-75-100k/Less than 15k income p/a
-Student/Financial Worker
-Atheist
DarthVitiosus
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 8:31:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
It needs to be taken into serious consideration how many of these debaters have been PRO in debates rather than CON. I don't believe any person who has mostly done CON debates should be called a top debater.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
DarthVitiosus
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 8:36:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/24/2014 8:32:20 AM, Fummy wrote:
This is just an analysis based thing. I am not generalizing.

I will plug in the data in a spreadsheet and score the top 25 later this week using a different set of measures. I like playing with numbers like these.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 8:38:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/24/2014 8:18:53 AM, Fummy wrote:
Hi, I made an analysis on the 10 best rated debaters in DDO. These are as follows:
Mikal
RoyLatham
Danielle
Kleptin
bluesteel
JustCallMeTarzan
bsh1
thett3
Ore_Ele
TheSkeptic

I have made some statistical notes about what it says on their profiles.
(Note: Anything with --- before and after it is the dominant trait in its category.)
Party:
---Republican III---

Relationship:
Engaged I
---Married II---
---In A Relationship II---
It's Complicated I
Single I

Education:
---College IIIII---
Graduate Degree II
Post Doctoral I
Associates Deg

Ethnicity:
-White IIIII-
Asian II

Income:
---35-50k pa II---
---75-100k pa II---
25k-35k pa I

Occupation:
---Financial Services II---
Self-Employed I
Medical I
Hospitality I
Legal I

Religion:
---Agnostic III---
---Atheist III---
Catholic I
Protestant I
Other Christian I

Ideology:
---Conservative III---
Progressive I
Liberal I

So therefore, statistically a potential champion debater would have the traits
as follows:

-Conservative ideology

Done

-Supporter of Republican Party

Done

-Married/In a relationship

Done

-Received a college education

High school drop out

-White ethnicity

Obviously

-Income of either 35-50k or 75-100k per annum

I make 25k a year so no can do

-Working in the Financial Service industry

What type of retard chooses to be in the financial services industry?

Please note that I am not being racist in this forum. This is just a statistical analysis.
What do you think?
Fummy
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 8:39:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/24/2014 8:36:20 AM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
At 12/24/2014 8:32:20 AM, Fummy wrote:
This is just an analysis based thing. I am not generalizing.

I will plug in the data in a spreadsheet and score the top 25 later this week using a different set of measures. I like playing with numbers like these.
Sounds fair enough
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 8:39:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/24/2014 8:31:01 AM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
It needs to be taken into serious consideration how many of these debaters have been PRO in debates rather than CON. I don't believe any person who has mostly done CON debates should be called a top debater.

Agreed
Fummy
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 8:45:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/24/2014 8:38:54 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/24/2014 8:18:53 AM, Fummy wrote:
Hi, I made an analysis on the 10 best rated debaters in DDO. These are as follows:
Mikal
RoyLatham
Danielle
Kleptin
bluesteel
JustCallMeTarzan
bsh1
thett3
Ore_Ele
TheSkeptic

I have made some statistical notes about what it says on their profiles.
(Note: Anything with --- before and after it is the dominant trait in its category.)
Party:
---Republican III---

Relationship:
Engaged I
---Married II---
---In A Relationship II---
It's Complicated I
Single I

Education:
---College IIIII---
Graduate Degree II
Post Doctoral I
Associates Deg

Ethnicity:
-White IIIII-
Asian II

Income:
---35-50k pa II---
---75-100k pa II---
25k-35k pa I

Occupation:
---Financial Services II---
Self-Employed I
Medical I
Hospitality I
Legal I

Religion:
---Agnostic III---
---Atheist III---
Catholic I
Protestant I
Other Christian I

Ideology:
---Conservative III---
Progressive I
Liberal I

So therefore, statistically a potential champion debater would have the traits
as follows:

-Conservative ideology

Done

-Supporter of Republican Party

Done

-Married/In a relationship

Done

-Received a college education

High school drop out

-White ethnicity

Obviously

-Income of either 35-50k or 75-100k per annum

I make 25k a year so no can do

-Working in the Financial Service industry

What type of retard chooses to be in the financial services industry?

Please note that I am not being racist in this forum. This is just a statistical analysis.
What do you think?

Interesting. Wonder if anyone on this forum would fit all these categories?
9spaceking
Posts: 4,213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 9:44:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
If we just look at the top 2 debaters they look like this

Bluesteel
Updated:1 Month AgoGender:Female
Joined:4 Years Ago
President:Michele Bachmann (Republican Party)
Ideology:ProgressiveEducation:Some College
Party:Republican PartyEthnicity:White
Relationship:It's ComplicatedIncome:$25,000 to $35,000
Interested:in MenOccupation:Hospitality
Looking:FriendshipReligion:Christian - Catholic

Raisor
Updated:5 Months AgoGender:Male
Joined:6 Years AgoBirthday:November 22, 1989
Ideology:ModerateEducation:Graduate Degree
Income:Less than $25,000
Interested:in WomenOccupation:Student

So we can only conclude that you have to have like 3 years of experience on DDO and be at least in college to be one of the best debaters, and be able to make some money (over 20,000?). It makes sense really.
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy
http://www.debate.org...

Reign of Terror is unjustified
http://www.debate.org...

Raise min. wage to $10.10
http://www.debate.org...
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 10:02:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Yeah. I'm never making this list. But if I did, I'd be the first Bigender to do so, I believe.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Raisor
Posts: 4,459
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 10:42:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/24/2014 8:22:01 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 12/24/2014 8:18:53 AM, Fummy wrote:
Hi, I made an analysis on the 10 best rated debaters in DDO. These are as follows:
Mikal
RoyLatham
Danielle
Kleptin
bluesteel
JustCallMeTarzan
bsh1
thett3
Ore_Ele
TheSkeptic

I have made some statistical notes about what it says on their profiles.

You forgot "gender." There are four females (danielle, me, thett, and Ore_ele).

Lol
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,355
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 10:43:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Now that you mention it- I could have used DDO for my statistics project. Darn it.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
sdavio
Posts: 1,798
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 10:52:33 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/24/2014 8:22:01 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 12/24/2014 8:18:53 AM, Fummy wrote:
Hi, I made an analysis on the 10 best rated debaters in DDO. These are as follows:
Mikal
RoyLatham
Danielle
Kleptin
bluesteel
JustCallMeTarzan
bsh1
thett3
Ore_Ele
TheSkeptic

I have made some statistical notes about what it says on their profiles.

You forgot "gender." There are four females (danielle, me, thett, and Ore_ele).

Aren't some of those actually male irl though. lol. So I think it would confuse it because so many people lie about their gender.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
TryingToBeOpenMinded
Posts: 201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 11:01:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/24/2014 10:43:25 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Now that you mention it- I could have used DDO for my statistics project. Darn it.

Uh...not really.

- small sample size
- dirty sample pool (sample pool is not randomly selected)

The fact that the original poster suggested that this was statistics-based and not racial is ludicrous. One aspect of racism is to assign untrue characteristics to a group. In this case, he's trying to take a small, non-random sample pool and conclude generalities which are untrue. (perhaps to make himself feel better.)
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,355
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 11:15:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/24/2014 11:01:55 AM, TryingToBeOpenMinded wrote:
At 12/24/2014 10:43:25 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Now that you mention it- I could have used DDO for my statistics project. Darn it.

Uh...not really.

- small sample size
- dirty sample pool (sample pool is not randomly selected)

The fact that the original poster suggested that this was statistics-based and not racial is ludicrous. One aspect of racism is to assign untrue characteristics to a group. In this case, he's trying to take a small, non-random sample pool and conclude generalities which are untrue. (perhaps to make himself feel better.)

No- no- not for debating. I mean- I could have used some of the members to do my survey on. Lol.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Complicated_Mind
Posts: 367
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 6:09:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/24/2014 9:44:01 AM, 9spaceking wrote:
If we just look at the top 2 debaters they look like this

Bluesteel
Updated:1 Month AgoGender:Female
Joined:4 Years Ago
President:Michele Bachmann (Republican Party)
Ideology:ProgressiveEducation:Some College
Party:Republican PartyEthnicity:White
Relationship:It's ComplicatedIncome:$25,000 to $35,000
Interested:in MenOccupation:Hospitality
Looking:FriendshipReligion:Christian - Catholic

Raisor
Updated:5 Months AgoGender:Male
Joined:6 Years AgoBirthday:November 22, 1989
Ideology:ModerateEducation:Graduate Degree
Income:Less than $25,000
Interested:in WomenOccupation:Student

So we can only conclude that you have to have like 3 years of experience on DDO and be at least in college to be one of the best debaters, and be able to make some money (over 20,000?). It makes sense really.

I've seen you state many times Raisor and Bluesteel are the two best debaters on the site (I'm more of an observer than a poster) and though I'm not challenging the statement itself, as they're both exceptional, but I am wondering how you decided they were the two best.

I'm just asking out of pure curiosity: I've noticed you always state they are the best as I've said above. Are you saying this because Mikal said they were equal to or better than him in a screenshot of some debate (forgot which one, but it was somewhat popular and was on whether Mikal was the best debater) or through your own observations?

Because I've seen you come to asinine conclusions on the rankings of debaters based on who won against who multiple times before. Raisor has a 91% win and has lost against imabench and larz, for example. Based on how you usually rate people, how would he be in your best two, considering it contradicts how you usually rate people?

Because I've seen you basically, in summation, say "x, is better than y indefinitely because x defeated y in one debate,' or 'x beat a, and a beat y, therefore x is better than y' even if the debates are completely unrelated and are on very different topics. (I believe this method of rating is very inaccurate, simplistic, and that of which a naive and young child would come up with, but I digress). Why is this an exception? I am simply wondering if this is you basically saying, 'I'll believe someone's rankings without question even if it goes against how I rank people myself.'
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 7:36:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/24/2014 6:09:34 PM, Complicated_Mind wrote:
At 12/24/2014 9:44:01 AM, 9spaceking wrote:
If we just look at the top 2 debaters they look like this

Bluesteel
Updated:1 Month AgoGender:Female
Joined:4 Years Ago
President:Michele Bachmann (Republican Party)
Ideology:ProgressiveEducation:Some College
Party:Republican PartyEthnicity:White
Relationship:It's ComplicatedIncome:$25,000 to $35,000
Interested:in MenOccupation:Hospitality
Looking:FriendshipReligion:Christian - Catholic

Raisor
Updated:5 Months AgoGender:Male
Joined:6 Years AgoBirthday:November 22, 1989
Ideology:ModerateEducation:Graduate Degree
Income:Less than $25,000
Interested:in WomenOccupation:Student

So we can only conclude that you have to have like 3 years of experience on DDO and be at least in college to be one of the best debaters, and be able to make some money (over 20,000?). It makes sense really.

I've seen you state many times Raisor and Bluesteel are the two best debaters on the site (I'm more of an observer than a poster) and though I'm not challenging the statement itself, as they're both exceptional, but I am wondering how you decided they were the two best.

I'm just asking out of pure curiosity: I've noticed you always state they are the best as I've said above. Are you saying this because Mikal said they were equal to or better than him in a screenshot of some debate (forgot which one, but it was somewhat popular and was on whether Mikal was the best debater) or through your own observations?

Because I've seen you come to asinine conclusions on the rankings of debaters based on who won against who multiple times before. Raisor has a 91% win and has lost against imabench and larz, for example. Based on how you usually rate people, how would he be in your best two, considering it contradicts how you usually rate people?

Because I've seen you basically, in summation, say "x, is better than y indefinitely because x defeated y in one debate,' or 'x beat a, and a beat y, therefore x is better than y' even if the debates are completely unrelated and are on very different topics. (I believe this method of rating is very inaccurate, simplistic, and that of which a naive and young child would come up with, but I digress). Why is this an exception? I am simply wondering if this is you basically saying, 'I'll believe someone's rankings without question even if it goes against how I rank people myself.'

I can't answer for 9space, but I would also put raisor at the top of the site, and I personally rank by reading their debate arguments to see how good of a debater they are. Do they understand debate strategy? Do they use weighing mechanisms well and have good rebuttals? Do they have good research and use evidence effectively? Do they have a good use of word economy? Do they explain complex concepts in simple, easily to understand, terms?

I don't rank in my own mind off straight wins and losses because people do fun debates on DDO. I don't think the outcome of a debate on Frozen vs. the Lion King says anything about raisor's actual debate ability.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 7:39:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/24/2014 10:52:33 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 12/24/2014 8:22:01 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 12/24/2014 8:18:53 AM, Fummy wrote:
Hi, I made an analysis on the 10 best rated debaters in DDO. These are as follows:
Mikal
RoyLatham
Danielle
Kleptin
bluesteel
JustCallMeTarzan
bsh1
thett3
Ore_Ele
TheSkeptic

I have made some statistical notes about what it says on their profiles.

You forgot "gender." There are four females (danielle, me, thett, and Ore_ele).

Aren't some of those actually male irl though. lol. So I think it would confuse it because so many people lie about their gender.

My comment was both a joke and a statement that revealed that *all* the information on multiple profiles is a lie. My own profile lists me as having "some college," as being a Republican, as earning between 25K and 30K, as working in the hospitality industry. None of that is true, but all of it was included in OP's analysis.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Complicated_Mind
Posts: 367
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 8:40:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/24/2014 7:36:56 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 12/24/2014 6:09:34 PM, Complicated_Mind wrote:
At 12/24/2014 9:44:01 AM, 9spaceking wrote:
If we just look at the top 2 debaters they look like this

Bluesteel
Updated:1 Month AgoGender:Female
Joined:4 Years Ago
President:Michele Bachmann (Republican Party)
Ideology:ProgressiveEducation:Some College
Party:Republican PartyEthnicity:White
Relationship:It's ComplicatedIncome:$25,000 to $35,000
Interested:in MenOccupation:Hospitality
Looking:FriendshipReligion:Christian - Catholic

Raisor
Updated:5 Months AgoGender:Male
Joined:6 Years AgoBirthday:November 22, 1989
Ideology:ModerateEducation:Graduate Degree
Income:Less than $25,000
Interested:in WomenOccupation:Student

So we can only conclude that you have to have like 3 years of experience on DDO and be at least in college to be one of the best debaters, and be able to make some money (over 20,000?). It makes sense really.

I've seen you state many times Raisor and Bluesteel are the two best debaters on the site (I'm more of an observer than a poster) and though I'm not challenging the statement itself, as they're both exceptional, but I am wondering how you decided they were the two best.

I'm just asking out of pure curiosity: I've noticed you always state they are the best as I've said above. Are you saying this because Mikal said they were equal to or better than him in a screenshot of some debate (forgot which one, but it was somewhat popular and was on whether Mikal was the best debater) or through your own observations?

Because I've seen you come to asinine conclusions on the rankings of debaters based on who won against who multiple times before. Raisor has a 91% win and has lost against imabench and larz, for example. Based on how you usually rate people, how would he be in your best two, considering it contradicts how you usually rate people?

Because I've seen you basically, in summation, say "x, is better than y indefinitely because x defeated y in one debate,' or 'x beat a, and a beat y, therefore x is better than y' even if the debates are completely unrelated and are on very different topics. (I believe this method of rating is very inaccurate, simplistic, and that of which a naive and young child would come up with, but I digress). Why is this an exception? I am simply wondering if this is you basically saying, 'I'll believe someone's rankings without question even if it goes against how I rank people myself.'

I can't answer for 9space, but I would also put raisor at the top of the site, and I personally rank by reading their debate arguments to see how good of a debater they are. Do they understand debate strategy? Do they use weighing mechanisms well and have good rebuttals? Do they have good research and use evidence effectively? Do they have a good use of word economy? Do they explain complex concepts in simple, easily to understand, terms?

I don't rank in my own mind off straight wins and losses because people do fun debates on DDO. I don't think the outcome of a debate on Frozen vs. the Lion King says anything about raisor's actual debate ability.

Oh, yes, I know. As I said in my response to 9space I wasn't challenging that you and Raisor were the best debaters on the site. You two probably are, and even if you aren't, you're pretty damn close to it. But I've seen 9space state who's the better at debating than who on the site based off of who beat who, even including non-serious and unrelated debates.

So I was just wondering why he made the exception with Raisor despite him having been beaten a few times. Normally I've seen 9space say 'x is better than y because x beat a, and a beat y' or something like that with little to no regard on other factors of the debates (whether they were serious topics or not, whether one debater had a limited time window, whether one was out of their comfort zone, and so on). So I was wondering why this inaccurate measure on who's a good debater didn't apply with Raisor?

But yes, I know what you mean. Satirical debates show nothing of real debate skill, it should be looked at very considerately based on all the variables to determine who's better at debating than who etc.

9space is the one I've seen use the who-beat-who method, NOT me. I was giving the examples not as my own personal opinion, but of what I've seen 9space do. I disagree with the method, and agree with yours. But that's not the point in my post. It's on if he's changed his ways in finding out who's better at debating, or if he's simply copying a well renowned debater and blindly taking Mikal's word rather than his (9space) own thoughts and opinion(s).

I just came to the conclusion he made the exception with Raisor because Mikal himself said he was in the top two. But I am asking him to make sure.

So, in short: I am just trying to figure out if 9space came to the conclusion you and Raisor are the best debaters by himself with rational thought and his own observations, or if he is just mimicking Mikal. Why the sudden change in his methods of determining who's the best debater? I'd prefer and hope for the rational thought method, but it just seems to go against how he's ranked others in the past.
dtaylor971
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 9:44:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/24/2014 8:22:01 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 12/24/2014 8:18:53 AM, Fummy wrote:
Hi, I made an analysis on the 10 best rated debaters in DDO. These are as follows:
Mikal
RoyLatham
Danielle
Kleptin
bluesteel
JustCallMeTarzan
bsh1
thett3
Ore_Ele
TheSkeptic

I have made some statistical notes about what it says on their profiles.

You forgot "gender." There are four females (danielle, me, thett, and Ore_ele).

You're a woman with a beard? And a deep voice? And a stick-like body part that makes the front of your underwear tighter?
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2014 10:44:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/24/2014 8:22:43 AM, Fummy wrote:
The gender thing is confusing as there is bigenders and unidentifieds.

There are only two genders male and female. You can pretend your something else other than those two but it's self delusion.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Raisor
Posts: 4,459
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2014 11:18:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/25/2014 10:44:40 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 12/24/2014 8:22:43 AM, Fummy wrote:
The gender thing is confusing as there is bigenders and unidentifieds.

There are only two genders male and female. You can pretend your something else other than those two but it's self delusion.

That's not true. At the least There are tri-chromosomal people (xxy xyy chromosome), hermaphrodites, people born with sever hormonal imbalances. There are strictly biological cases that do not fit into a two gender classification system.
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2014 11:40:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/24/2014 10:48:34 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Are you aware that these traits have little to no correlation with debate skill?

Neither do the high elo scores.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2014 12:06:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/25/2014 11:18:14 AM, Raisor wrote:
At 12/25/2014 10:44:40 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 12/24/2014 8:22:43 AM, Fummy wrote:
The gender thing is confusing as there is bigenders and unidentifieds.

There are only two genders male and female. You can pretend your something else other than those two but it's self delusion.

That's not true. At the least There are tri-chromosomal people (xxy xyy chromosome), hermaphrodites, people born with sever hormonal imbalances. There are strictly biological cases that do not fit into a two gender classification system.

What ever, Those are called birth defects. There are only two genders.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%