Jump to topic:

inactive debate forfeit

Atheistassociate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 2:02:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This is the third time, in the few debates I have done I have had all of them forfeit the rounds. Only later did I realize that their accounts are no longer active. First Rocker2396 than dasamster now after only after one round of arguments headphonegut have deactivated their accounts. Even though I win those debates it really annoys me because I want to win based on the value of my arguments not because the opponent didn't post.

How often does this happen? Is the people who run the site or do they shut down their own account?

thanks for whoever replies. Post your own experiences with this if you have any.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 2:17:20 PM
Hello!

When an account gets banned, it will say, "[User's] account has been closed."

When someone closes an account manually, it will say, "The account is no longer active"
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 2:33:04 PM
Whoa. Three in a row? That usually doesn't happen here. Bad luck I guess. Anyway, what Mirza said.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 4:17:30 PM
It's pretty common in my experience. I had three in a row recently as well, although that's unusual. Overall, it's been maybe one in three that's forfeitied, There are lots of high school students on the site, and they are prone to crisis and interruption from family/school/friends. One guy created an account, accepted my debate challenge, then forfeited without posting just to kill the topic. Sometimes opponents seem to give up when strongly challenged.

What bugs me is that I often put some significant time into preparing an argument, like an hour or two, and so the opponent has thoughtlessly wasted my time.

One possible cure (I think freeman invented it) is to set the standards for accepting the debate very high in the challenge criteria, then say in the debate that you will open the debate to other challengers based upon requests in the comments. You can then accept the first person who has a reasonable track record, like having completed five debates without forfeiting. I don't like to do that because I want to give new debaters on the site an opportunity to participate, but it may come to that.