Jump to topic:

Role playing debates?

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 10:07:16 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
So the team debate thing doesn't seem all that feasible, but how about role playing debates? Say we had a representative of Israel versus Palestine? Or add some historic context to it like John Adams, or Tom Jefferson versus George III? Or Lenin versus the Czar? These would be really interesting to watch and participate.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 11:06:57 AM
Haha I'd be up for this. It seems interesting enough.

Palestine: "Why did you take our land? We were here first!"
Israel: "God said it ours. We have had ties to this land for thousands of years."
Palestine: "But you got kicked out."
Israel: "So? It's still ours."
Palestine: *Straps on bomb vest*
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 11:08:15 AM
At 6/7/2010 11:06:57 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Israel: "God said it ours. We have had ties to this land for thousands of years."

That's about right.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 11:09:44 AM
At 6/7/2010 11:08:15 AM, innomen wrote:

That's about right.

Yep, pretty much. :)
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 11:18:53 AM

You forgot the part where the individuals acting in the name of Israel slaughter Palestinian children.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 11:20:55 AM
At 6/7/2010 11:18:53 AM, Reasoning wrote:

You forgot the part where the individuals acting in the name of Hamas slaughter Palestinian children.

Fixed. ;)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 11:21:51 AM

You forgot the part where the individuals acting in the name of Palestine slaughter Israeli children.
wolfgangxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 12:08:09 PM
At 6/7/2010 11:20:55 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Israel: "A homophobic, racist, misogynistic, self contradicting genocidal maniac said its ours. We have had ties to this land for thousands of years."

You forgot the part where the individuals acting in the name of Israel slaughter defenceless Palestinian children.... and women.... and men.... and bomb UN schools..... and kill humanitarian aid workers.... and build on land that isn't theirs..... and posses undeclared nuclear weapons.... and attempt to stop UN inquiries into their atrocities.... and are general bastards to non-jews..... except when they mutilate the genitalia of their own children without permission.....
Morality, like art, means drawing a line someplace.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2010 5:12:35 AM
So not like, an 18th level sorcerer vs. an 18th level wizard?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2010 5:14:50 AM
At 6/8/2010 5:12:35 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
That would be in a game.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2010 5:17:47 AM
At 6/8/2010 5:14:50 AM, Mirza wrote:
That would be in a game.

A roleplaying game.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2010 5:19:59 AM
At 6/8/2010 5:17:47 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
A roleplaying game.
Sorcery in a debate is impossible.

In a video game, it is ideal.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2010 5:28:22 AM
At 6/8/2010 5:19:59 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/8/2010 5:17:47 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
A roleplaying game.
Sorcery in a debate is impossible.

You could have a third party doing the dice rolling.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2010 5:31:07 AM
At 6/8/2010 5:28:22 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
That would not work, unless they recored it.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2010 5:44:06 AM
At 6/8/2010 5:31:07 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/8/2010 5:28:22 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
That would not work, unless they recored it.

Chat room based dice roller?
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2010 5:46:37 AM
At 6/8/2010 5:44:06 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
That too, if we can find one.

However, would that not simply be based on luck? It would mostly be for a forum game, not formal debate.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2010 6:01:19 AM
At 6/8/2010 5:46:37 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/8/2010 5:44:06 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
That too, if we can find one.

However, would that not simply be based on luck? It would mostly be for a forum game, not formal debate.

Okay... it's a silly idea. But it is what sprung to mind when I saw the title.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2010 5:30:12 PM
I've actually kinda pondered the idea of taking the free d20 rules and modding something resembling dungeons and dragons here. :)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2010 5:38:59 PM

This may be a bit off topic but this battle is something that I would pay to see created using very good CGI. It would be amazing.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2010 2:16:55 AM
At 6/8/2010 5:30:12 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I've actually kinda pondered the idea of taking the free d20 rules and modding something resembling dungeons and dragons here. :)

i would play. though to be fair i haven't played D&D in like 6 years... i would probably f*ck it up!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2010 3:39:23 AM

I'd be part of that. :)
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2010 3:44:12 AM

I'd be up for that.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2010 3:44:58 AM
At 6/9/2010 2:16:55 AM, belle wrote:

i would play. though to be fair i haven't played D&D in like 6 years... i would probably f*ck it up!

Same here, I was not entirely clear on all the rules either. But then who is, its a very clunky system!
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2010 3:53:37 AM
At 6/9/2010 3:44:58 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Same here, I was not entirely clear on all the rules either. But then who is, its a very clunky system!

VTM is a lot more fun. DnD lite rules are better for forums though I'd hazard.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2010 8:42:57 AM
I guess I'll get to work on it once the quarter ends.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2010 2:55:59 PM
I would be up for a role play debate between John Weasly, and John Calvin. I arguing for Weasly.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2010 3:07:55 PM
or between Calvin (of calvin and hobbes) and some character my opponent picks. It would be hilarious to see a debate as if Calvin were debating it. http://progressiveboink.com...
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2010 3:16:10 PM
At 6/9/2010 3:53:37 AM, Puck wrote:
At 6/9/2010 3:44:58 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

VTM is a lot more fun. DnD lite rules are better for forums though I'd hazard.

Yea, I was always more of a VTM guy.