Restoring the Religion Forum

xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 12:12:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
http://www.debate.org...

Please come help me make the case for restoring the religion forum back to intellectual prosperity.

It has caught the attention of many inhabitants of the religion forum. If any members are interested in improving the religion forum, please come join in on the discussion on how we can make that happen.
Nolite Timere
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 12:15:46 PM
At 12/27/2014 12:12:45 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Please come help me make the case for restoring the religion forum back to intellectual prosperity.

It has caught the attention of many inhabitants of the religion forum. If any members are interested in improving the religion forum, please come join in on the discussion on how we can make that happen.

It's already in the process of occurring, it will be explained within the next week or so in great detail
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 12:15:49 PM

Okay
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 12:21:01 PM

We should pray the hate away. I am sure that will work.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 12:57:38 PM
I've tried to accomplish this in the past. I can assure you that you will fail.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 12:59:24 PM
At 12/27/2014 12:57:38 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

LOL

Have they went past the point of corruption?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 1:00:53 PM
At 12/27/2014 12:59:24 PM, RevNge wrote:

LOL

Yes they have.

The DDO Blog:

RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 1:01:53 PM
At 12/27/2014 1:00:53 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

LOL

Yes they have.

You know what this means, right?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 1:03:06 PM
At 12/27/2014 1:01:53 PM, RevNge wrote:

LOL

Yes they have.

No. What does it mean?
(P.S. I've posted Episode 5 of DDO Death Note)

The DDO Blog:

RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 1:05:04 PM
At 12/27/2014 1:03:06 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

LOL

Yes they have.

No. What does it mean?

KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!
(P.S. Cool, I'll review it)
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 1:06:17 PM
At 12/27/2014 1:05:04 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 12/27/2014 1:03:06 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

LOL

Yes they have.

No. What does it mean?

KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!
(P.S. Cool, I'll review it)

Be sure to post in the comments thread, not the thread where the episodes are posted.

The DDO Blog:

xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 1:06:48 PM
Wow even the non-trolls on the religion forum are against the idea of intellectual discussion being revived there.

This is worse than I thought.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 1:11:36 PM

I already want to kill myself.
Nolite Timere
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 1:13:25 PM
At 12/27/2014 1:06:48 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Wow even the non-trolls on the religion forum are against the idea of intellectual discussion being revived there.

I'm not saying that I'm against it. What I'm saying is that it won't happen.

The DDO Blog:

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 5:33:40 PM

I am a "non-troll" and am for the idea of improving the religion forum.

I just think that there are certain people that you cannot have intelligent discussion with, so you either ignore them or have fun with them.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 5:39:33 PM
At 12/27/2014 1:11:36 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Fear not, Cyrpto! There is no need to want to kill yourself over the religion forum, for there is hope. Our savior, airmax, has heard your word, and shall bring his wrath down on the religious forum, purging it clean with his servant, the Whiteflame, into a new era of peace and prosperity. Heil Airmax! http://www.debate.org...
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 5:59:30 PM
The best way to fix the religious forum is to kidnap it, lather it in butter and lard, set it outside Michelle Bachmann's house in Iowa, let nature take its course, and then have the religious section be slowly digested in the depths of hell from which it came.....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 6:12:42 PM
The religion forum is only a mirror image of what people and society in general are taught to believe on both sides. It will change if what is taught is changed.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 8:25:59 PM
At 12/27/2014 6:12:42 PM, sadolite wrote:
The religion forum is only a mirror image of what people and society in general are taught to believe on both sides. It will change if what is taught is changed.

I agree with Sadolite that we should stop teaching religion in schools
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 9:30:05 PM
At 12/27/2014 8:25:59 PM, imabench wrote:
At 12/27/2014 6:12:42 PM, sadolite wrote:

I agree with Sadolite that we should stop teaching religion in schools

And we should also stop teaching secularism or any ideology except of course capitalism which really isn't an ideology or religion , but an economic system. It should be taught for the purposes of educating people on how our economy works and is based. The Constitution, Reading, writing and arithmetic that's it. Forget teaching history and social studies, nothing is ever learned from it.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 2:50:24 AM
At 12/27/2014 1:11:36 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Are you looking for votes? The problem is that some people see anything they disagree with as being intellectually deficient. In fact, the religion forum is already a mix of highly intellectual contributions and substantially less intellectual assertions, illogic and delusion. What makes you believe you should be the one to decide which is which?

No matter what motivation you believe you're following, the result is simply censorship. And censorship is only seen as a positive influence among those who realize their beliefs can't withstand scrutiny.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 2:54:07 AM
At 12/27/2014 5:33:40 PM, SNP1 wrote:

I am a "non-troll" and am for the idea of improving the religion forum.

I just think that there are certain people that you cannot have intelligent discussion with, so you either ignore them or have fun with them.

Ignoring those you can't communicate with is a brilliant plan. The problem seems to be that those who have assessed themselves as being intellectually superior, don't seem to be able to grasp the idea of simply ignoring people with whom they find exchanges to be completely non-productive. Is it possible that the actual problem is simply a lack of maturity and self-control among those claiming they want to improve the forum?

(I'd say, YES!) They don't want to improve it. They want to control it.
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 7:17:44 AM
At 12/28/2014 2:54:07 AM, Beastt wrote:

Ignoring those you can't communicate with is a brilliant plan. The problem seems to be that those who have assessed themselves as being intellectually superior, don't seem to be able to grasp the idea of simply ignoring people with whom they find exchanges to be completely non-productive. Is it possible that the actual problem is simply a lack of maturity and self-control among those claiming they want to improve the forum?

It is time for the moderators to start being honest and explain what it really is, absentee landlordism. As an owner of two sites, I think I can say this. The moderators are not responsible for creating the Terms of Use but they have intentionally enforced some parts of it while ignoring other rules. The owners of the site should not have all these rules if the moderators plan to enforce some rules and ignore other rules.

I don't blame the moderators but I do blame Juggle since they are responsible for the site and the Terms of Use. This is only a selective enforcement of rules, rules that should of been already enforced.
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 10:18:11 AM
At 12/28/2014 7:17:44 AM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
At 12/28/2014 2:54:07 AM, Beastt wrote:

It is time for the moderators to start being honest and explain what it really is, absentee landlordism. As an owner of two sites, I think I can say this. The moderators are not responsible for creating the Terms of Use but they have intentionally enforced some parts of it while ignoring other rules. The owners of the site should not have all these rules if the moderators plan to enforce some rules and ignore other rules.

I don't blame the moderators but I do blame Juggle since they are responsible for the site and the Terms of Use. This is only a selective enforcement of rules, rules that should of been already enforced.

In all honestly, Airmax will likely try to take the blame for this. But I see discretion as the mark of a genuinely concerned and sincere moderator, performing at the highest level. Those who blindly apply every rule to every situation are simply there for self-promotion. Airmax is - in my opinion - the greatest single asset this forum has in its favor. And that's because he doesn't blindly apply the TOS, even when there is nothing to be gained by doing so.
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 10:40:34 AM
At 12/28/2014 10:18:11 AM, Beastt wrote:

In all honestly, Airmax will likely try to take the blame for this. But I see discretion as the mark of a genuinely concerned and sincere moderator, performing at the highest level. Those who blindly apply every rule to every situation are simply there for self-promotion. Airmax is - in my opinion - the greatest single asset this forum has in its favor. And that's because he doesn't blindly apply the TOS, even when there is nothing to be gained by doing so.

I don't think it is Airmax's responsibility. He doesn't own the site nor does he make the ToU. Airmax enforces the ToU as he sees fit, appropriately. However, the absentee landlordism is troublesome. An active member or a more active person should buyout Juggle.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 10:56:45 AM
At 12/27/2014 9:30:05 PM, sadolite wrote:

Forget teaching history and social studies, nothing is ever learned from it.

*Somewhere in a far flung place on the depths of DDO, the lifeless corpse of the Weekly Stupid breathes to life for a brief second, before returning to its eternal sulumber*

Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 11:14:09 AM
At 12/28/2014 10:40:34 AM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
At 12/28/2014 10:18:11 AM, Beastt wrote:

I don't think it is Airmax's responsibility. He doesn't own the site nor does he make the ToU. Airmax enforces the ToU as he sees fit, appropriately. However, the absentee landlordism is troublesome. An active member or a more active person should buyout Juggle.

I agree that this is not Airmax's fault or his responsibility. But I've seen him take the blame for situations which he did nothing to cause, a number of times. That's simply how he is.

But I don't think we need more intervention. What we need is an understanding that people will be held to a certain expectation of intelligence, rationality, and behavior. And the consequences of failing to meet that expectation should be exactly as it is in open society - those who act like children are treated like children. Those who are clearly irrational, are not treated as though they are rational. Those who demonstrate a serious intellectual deficiency, aren't granted the respect of those of greater intellect.

Unfortunately, the TOS end up awarding everyone that which only some of us bother to try to earn.

- You can't call anyone an "idiot", even if they're an idiot.
- You're not supposed to point out that they're "irrational", no matter how irrational they are.
- Even if they behave like a spoiled 6-year old with ADHD, you're not allowed to call them "childish".

We're supposed to pretend that even a steamy turd smells like a rose, because it insists that it is owed such treatment, rather than recognizing the need to earn it. People should be provided with what they earn. This idea that respect is automatic rather than earned distorts every standard of societal interaction, and is responsible for the problems in the religion forum. It's like the "no child left behind" program, where no child is required to actually earn passing grades. They graduate high school, yet they can barely form sentences. Then they join a debate forum and demand the same free pass.

People who adhere to emotionally-held beliefs - which are devoid of objective evidence - and refuse to accept rational points of arguments against those beliefs, should hold no expectation that they will be treated any differently than a congressman who admits he believes that Santa Claus is real.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 2:06:23 PM
At 12/28/2014 10:56:45 AM, imabench wrote:

*Somewhere in a far flung place on the depths of DDO, the lifeless corpse of the Weekly Stupid breathes to life for a brief second, before returning to its eternal sulumber*

If you believe people learn from history or social experimentation then explain why it always repeats to the detriment of society and personal freedom rather than more freedom and better living standards.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 4:05:48 PM
At 12/28/2014 2:06:23 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 12/28/2014 10:56:45 AM, imabench wrote:

If you believe people learn from history or social experimentation then explain why it always repeats to the detriment of society and personal freedom rather than more freedom and better living standards.

Yes, we have less freedom now than we did 200 years ago.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"