Total Posts:87|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

History Tournament?

Atheist-Independent
Posts: 776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 12:59:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The idea for this cone from this forum: http://www.debate.org...

I thought that it would be a great idea to have a debate tournament with solely history related debates. I know that I, along with a select few, enjoy history debates and a tournament would be a great way to increase visibility for that kind of thing. I've never partook, much less ran a tournament so I am up for suggestions. My idea would be that we would have eight debaters, single elimination, but in truth I have no idea. What do you think?
RevNge
Posts: 13,835
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 1:00:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 12:59:47 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
The idea for this cone from this forum: http://www.debate.org...

I thought that it would be a great idea to have a debate tournament with solely history related debates. I know that I, along with a select few, enjoy history debates and a tournament would be a great way to increase visibility for that kind of thing. I've never partook, much less ran a tournament so I am up for suggestions. My idea would be that we would have eight debaters, single elimination, but in truth I have no idea. What do you think?

Shouldn't this be in the History forum? ;3
Atheist-Independent
Posts: 776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 1:05:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 1:00:28 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 12/27/2014 12:59:47 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
The idea for this cone from this forum: http://www.debate.org...

I thought that it would be a great idea to have a debate tournament with solely history related debates. I know that I, along with a select few, enjoy history debates and a tournament would be a great way to increase visibility for that kind of thing. I've never partook, much less ran a tournament so I am up for suggestions. My idea would be that we would have eight debaters, single elimination, but in truth I have no idea. What do you think?

Shouldn't this be in the History forum? ;3

The original forum was, and, as anticipated, nobody looked at it. Unfortunate, yet nobody ever looks at the history forum.
darthebearnc
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 3:12:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm pretty new and inexperienced, but I'm really interested in history debating and wonder what a tournament would be like. I'd like to participate, though I understand if I'm not chosen because of my lack of experience. Thanks for considering!
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 3:31:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm a fan of some revisionist history. I'd love to do this if I have freedom over the topic choice.
Atheist-Independent
Posts: 776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 3:43:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 3:12:42 PM, darthebearnc wrote:
I'm pretty new and inexperienced, but I'm really interested in history debating and wonder what a tournament would be like. I'd like to participate, though I understand if I'm not chosen because of my lack of experience. Thanks for considering!

Experience matters not. All we need are debaters, I'll sign you up.
DarthVitiosus
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 4:43:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 3:45:11 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
SIGN UP LIST
1. Atheist-Independent
2. darthebearnc
3. *** Wylted ***
4. The beautiful, sexiest, and loved by the ladies, Darth Vitiosus
5.
6.
7.
8.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 5:12:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 3:45:11 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
SIGN UP LIST
1. Atheist-Independent
2. darthebearnc
3. *** Wylted ***
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.

Why does my name have stars?
Atheist-Independent
Posts: 776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 5:41:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 5:12:48 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/27/2014 3:45:11 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
SIGN UP LIST
1. Atheist-Independent
2. darthebearnc
3. Wylted
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.

Why does my name have stars?

I thought that you implied that you weren't certain about signing up. I'll remove the stars, unless you like them of course.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 5:43:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 5:41:20 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
At 12/27/2014 5:12:48 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/27/2014 3:45:11 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
SIGN UP LIST
1. Atheist-Independent
2. darthebearnc
3. Wylted
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.

Why does my name have stars?

I thought that you implied that you weren't certain about signing up. I'll remove the stars, unless you like them of course.

No I'm in as long as there is freedom over topic choices and they aren't randomly assigned
Atheist-Independent
Posts: 776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 5:44:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 5:43:44 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/27/2014 5:41:20 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
At 12/27/2014 5:12:48 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/27/2014 3:45:11 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
SIGN UP LIST
1. Atheist-Independent
2. darthebearnc
3. Wylted
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.

Why does my name have stars?

I thought that you implied that you weren't certain about signing up. I'll remove the stars, unless you like them of course.

No I'm in as long as there is freedom over topic choices and they aren't randomly assigned

Oh. Of course, we'll have the debaters negotiate with their counterparts on what subject to debate.
Atheist-Independent
Posts: 776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 5:46:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 12:59:47 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
The idea for this cone from this forum: http://www.debate.org...

I thought that it would be a great idea to have a debate tournament with solely history related debates. I know that I, along with a select few, enjoy history debates and a tournament would be a great way to increase visibility for that kind of thing. I've never partook, much less ran a tournament so I am up for suggestions. My idea would be that we would have eight debaters, single elimination, but in truth I have no idea. What do you think?

*came (sorry I'm writing from my iPad)
lannan13
Posts: 23,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 5:51:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 4:43:43 PM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
At 12/27/2014 3:45:11 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
SIGN UP LIST
1. Atheist-Independent
2. darthebearnc
3. *** Wylted ***
4. The beautiful, sexiest, and loved by the ladies, Darth Vitiosus
5. Lannan13
6.
7.
8.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
imabench
Posts: 21,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 5:53:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
hashtag IN
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Atheist-Independent
Posts: 776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 6:08:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 5:51:21 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 12/27/2014 4:43:43 PM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
At 12/27/2014 3:45:11 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
SIGN UP LIST
1. Atheist-Independent
2. darthebearnc
3. Wylted
4. Darth Vitiosus
5. Lannan13
6. imabench
7.
8.
JayConar
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 8:37:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 3:45:11 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
SIGN UP LIST
1. Atheist-Independent
2. darthebearnc
3. *** Wylted ***
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.

Could you add my name to that list? :3
JayConar
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 8:39:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 6:08:58 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
At 12/27/2014 5:51:21 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 12/27/2014 4:43:43 PM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
At 12/27/2014 3:45:11 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
SIGN UP LIST
1. Atheist-Independent
2. darthebearnc
3. Wylted
4. Darth Vitiosus
5. Lannan13
6. imabench
7. JayConar
8.

Something like that? ;)
Atheist-Independent
Posts: 776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 8:43:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 8:39:38 PM, JayConar wrote:
At 12/27/2014 6:08:58 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
At 12/27/2014 5:51:21 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 12/27/2014 4:43:43 PM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
At 12/27/2014 3:45:11 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
SIGN UP LIST
1. Atheist-Independent
2. darthebearnc
3. Wylted
4. Darth Vitiosus
5. Lannan13
6. imabench
7. JayConar
8.

Something like that? ;)

Yep :D
That1User
Posts: 1,064
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 8:44:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 8:43:25 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
At 12/27/2014 8:39:38 PM, JayConar wrote:
At 12/27/2014 6:08:58 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
At 12/27/2014 5:51:21 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 12/27/2014 4:43:43 PM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
At 12/27/2014 3:45:11 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
SIGN UP LIST
1. Atheist-Independent
2. darthebearnc
3. Wylted
4. Darth Vitiosus
5. Lannan13
6. imabench
7. JayConar
8.That1User

Something like that? ;)

Yep :D
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
Atheist-Independent
Posts: 776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 8:57:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Now that we have eight debaters, let's set up the brackets! I am going to give us seeds based on the order in which we signed up. They aren't actually relevant, they just help me organize the brackets better.

Atheist-Independent vs. That1User (Topic: ???)

darthebearnc vs. JayConar (Topic: ???)

Wylted vs. imabench (Topic: ???)

DarthVitiosus vs. lannan13 (Topic: ???)

I intended for us to collaborate with our opponents on the topic that we will debate. Once you have agreed on a topic, just post it in this forum.
DarthVitiosus
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 9:02:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 8:57:07 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
Now that we have eight debaters, let's set up the brackets! I am going to give us seeds based on the order in which we signed up. They aren't actually relevant, they just help me organize the brackets better.

Atheist-Independent vs. That1User (Topic: ???)

darthebearnc vs. JayConar (Topic: ???)

Wylted vs. imabench (Topic: ???)

DarthVitiosus vs. lannan13 (Topic: ???)

I intended for us to collaborate with our opponents on the topic that we will debate. Once you have agreed on a topic, just post it in this forum.

Judges?
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
Atheist-Independent
Posts: 776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 9:03:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 9:02:19 PM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
At 12/27/2014 8:57:07 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
Now that we have eight debaters, let's set up the brackets! I am going to give us seeds based on the order in which we signed up. They aren't actually relevant, they just help me organize the brackets better.

Atheist-Independent vs. That1User (Topic: ???)

darthebearnc vs. JayConar (Topic: ???)

Wylted vs. imabench (Topic: ???)

DarthVitiosus vs. lannan13 (Topic: ???)

I intended for us to collaborate with our opponents on the topic that we will debate. Once you have agreed on a topic, just post it in this forum.

Judges?

Not sure. We could have it so that we delegate each other as the judges, or just leave it open. As I said, I've never done this before and I am open to ideas.
RevNge
Posts: 13,835
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 9:03:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 8:57:07 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
Wylted vs. imabench (Topic: ???)

*munches popcorn*
DarthVitiosus
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 9:10:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 9:03:05 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

Not sure. We could have it so that we delegate each other as the judges, or just leave it open. As I said, I've never done this before and I am open to ideas.

If the debating bracket looks like what I posted below, then users in Group A should vote on Group B's debates and vice versa. Then anyone of contestants can vote in the final round.

Group A
Atheist-Independent vs. That1User (Topic: ???)
darthebearnc vs. JayConar (Topic: ???)

Group B
Wylted vs. imabench (Topic: ???)
DarthVitiosus vs. lannan13 (Topic: ???)
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
Atheist-Independent
Posts: 776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 9:11:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 9:10:06 PM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
At 12/27/2014 9:03:05 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

Not sure. We could have it so that we delegate each other as the judges, or just leave it open. As I said, I've never done this before and I am open to ideas.

If the debating bracket looks like what I posted below, then users in Group A should vote on Group B's debates and vice versa. Then anyone of contestants can vote in the final round.

Group A
Atheist-Independent vs. That1User (Topic: ???)
darthebearnc vs. JayConar (Topic: ???)

Group B
Wylted vs. imabench (Topic: ???)
DarthVitiosus vs. lannan13 (Topic: ???)

I haven't got any objections.
DarthVitiosus
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 9:15:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 9:11:18 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
At 12/27/2014 9:10:06 PM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
At 12/27/2014 9:03:05 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

Not sure. We could have it so that we delegate each other as the judges, or just leave it open. As I said, I've never done this before and I am open to ideas.

If the debating bracket looks like what I posted below, then users in Group A should vote on Group B's debates and vice versa. Then anyone of contestants can vote in the final round.

Group A
Atheist-Independent vs. That1User (Topic: ???)
darthebearnc vs. JayConar (Topic: ???)

Group B
Wylted vs. imabench (Topic: ???)
DarthVitiosus vs. lannan13 (Topic: ???)

I haven't got any objections.

When does debating start?
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
Atheist-Independent
Posts: 776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 9:16:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 9:15:02 PM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
At 12/27/2014 9:11:18 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
At 12/27/2014 9:10:06 PM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
At 12/27/2014 9:03:05 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

Not sure. We could have it so that we delegate each other as the judges, or just leave it open. As I said, I've never done this before and I am open to ideas.

If the debating bracket looks like what I posted below, then users in Group A should vote on Group B's debates and vice versa. Then anyone of contestants can vote in the final round.

Group A
Atheist-Independent vs. That1User (Topic: ???)
darthebearnc vs. JayConar (Topic: ???)

Group B
Wylted vs. imabench (Topic: ???)
DarthVitiosus vs. lannan13 (Topic: ???)

I haven't got any objections.

When does debating start?

I think that right after every pairing has a topic. Therefore all the debates will start and end at about the same times.
SeventhProfessor
Posts: 5,087
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 9:16:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/27/2014 9:03:31 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 12/27/2014 8:57:07 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
Wylted vs. imabench (Topic: ???)

*munches popcorn*
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
DarthVitiosus
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 9:21:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Group A
Atheist-Independent vs. That1User (Topic: ???)
darthebearnc vs. JayConar (Topic: ???)

Group B
Wylted vs. imabench (Topic: ???)
DarthVitiosus vs. lannan13 (Topic: Worse American President, J.Buchanan vs. A.Johnson)
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.