Jump to topic:

Tournament Fatigue/Upcoming tournaments

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 7:59:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
"Tournament Fatigue" is a real thing on this site. If five tournaments are running at the same time, people get tired of being asked to participate and judge, and none of the tournaments seem special.

Mikal and I had planned to run a series of tournaments that would be *official* ones, meaning that the winners would get their names placed in the tournament winners thread in the Misc forum. However, we have been concerned about tournament fatigue so we are trying to stagger them.

It seems like there is a lot of interest in another tournament right now given that it is winter break for a lot of people. Mikal and I were considering the following tournaments. I am trying to gauge interest to see if we can run one right now or whether tournament fatigue has set in due to the Gauntlet Tournament, Beginner/Mentor Tournament, and the two other recently proposed tournaments. **Please reply here if you are interested in participating in any of the following tournaments and explain the timeframe that you would be willing to participate in.**

(1) Tier tournament

Debaters will be divided into three tiers by Elo. Each tier will have its own winner.

(2) Fast debates

Each debate can be completed in 6 hours, which is the nice thing. There are only 30 minutes between rounds with an 8K character limit. The topic will be chosen just prior to the debate starting, so essentially the debaters have to use knowledge that is already in their head in order to debate. This is basically how Parliamentary debate works in real life.

(3) Instigator's choice

The contender must accept the debate before knowing what the topic will be. The instigator posts the topic in round 2 and starts debating. However, the contender can always argue that the topic is "tight," meaning that it is too one-sided for the contender to win. If the contender proves the topic is "tight," the contender wins. Instigators have an incentive to choose fair topics. The nice thing about this format is that it eliminates the wrangling over topic selection that occurs in pretty much every tournament, plus it is just generally an interesting dynamic. This format is also based on (I believe) British Parliamentary debate.

(4) Live PF debates

Public forum style debates on past PF topics that are recorded via Hangouts on Air.

The PF format is:

4 minute constructive for each side
3 minute cross-examination where either debater may ask questions [called "cross-fire"]
4 minute rebuttal for each side
3 minute crossfire
2 minute summary for each side
3 minute crossfire
2 minute "final focus" for each side

Because these are one-on-one debates (not two-on-two), preparation time will be 5 minutes instead of 2 minutes.

(5) Team debate tournament

You can select your partner. The format has not been finalized. It may be either live or in text format, although I think live would be more interesting.

Please reply if you want to participate in any of the above and when you would hope that the tournament would occur.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 8:04:11 PM
Tournament fatigue is indeed a real thing, and I think DDO might not be able to handle much more than the mentor tourney and the gauntlet tourney. That being said, I'd be very interested in participating in the tier, live pf, and team debate tourneys.
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 8:20:33 PM
Yeah, there seems to be a glut of tourneys at the moment. We'll see how these play out, and I'd recommend waiting until these are either done or on the way out before starting a new one.

Anyway, I'm interested in the tier, instigator's choice and team tourneys.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 8:43:56 PM
I like the fast debates tournament idea. I actually like that a lot... although I might have an unfair advantage on people... lol
Tsar of DDO
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 1:11:41 PM
I have been attempting to participate in tournaments since joining this site and have been unsuccessful. While tournament fatigue may be a real think, I am not tired of them. Just the opposite in fact.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 1:22:57 PM
I'm interested in the tier tournament but could only do it towards the end of January. Most people would probably want to start it during winter break, so I realize it probably won't start that late.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 1:37:50 PM
I like the tier tournament idea the most.
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 2:24:10 PM
I could do 1, 3, 5. I'm available until I leave on June 22nd.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~