Jump to topic:

Why Mafia is a waste of time

Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 7:58:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
There seems to be a religious following of Mafia on DDO. I always get criticised and ignored when I make this point within threads, so I'm going to flesh-out my point here. There are usually at least half-a-dozen Mafia games running at any time. My question to the people who play is: have you really nothing better to do?

I mean, could you not find something better to do than play a game that takes hours or days to complete, of which generates nothing of serious value? What do you produce by playing this game? Could not your mental energy be directed better into something that is:

1) Productive

2) Is actually difficult to achieve, thereby granting you a better feeling once completed

Honestly, Mafia is nothing more than a time-sink for people who have boring lives. I can understand the odd game every several months, but playing this game frequently is indicative of a life wasting.

Just think of all the possibilities life have to offer (e.g. travelling, learning a trade/skill, reading to learn etc.), and then realise the embarrassment of camping behind a computer to try and win a game of no consequence.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:00:02 PM
MAFFIUHH EETs TEH BABEES!!!!!!!!!
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:01:17 PM
At 12/30/2014 7:58:36 PM, Zarroette wrote:
There seems to be a religious following of Mafia on DDO. I always get criticised and ignored when I make this point within threads, so I'm going to flesh-out my point here. There are usually at least half-a-dozen Mafia games running at any time. My question to the people who play is: have you really nothing better to do?

I mean, could you not find something better to do than play a game that takes hours or days to complete, of which generates nothing of serious value? What do you produce by playing this game? Could not your mental energy be directed better into something that is:

1) Productive

2) Is actually difficult to achieve, thereby granting you a better feeling once completed

Honestly, Mafia is nothing more than a time-sink for people who have boring lives. I can understand the odd game every several months, but playing this game frequently is indicative of a life wasting.

Just think of all the possibilities life have to offer (e.g. travelling, learning a trade/skill, reading to learn etc.), and then realise the embarrassment of camping behind a computer to try and win a game of no consequence.

I'm assuming you're one of the many who don't understand Mafia...
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:02:37 PM

1) Productive

RFD - 1/1

Pro fails to make a substantive case, with most her arguments consisting of emotional appeals. Fails to argue why Mafia being a time sink is a "waste" (this in fact just begs the question). Only half dec t argument was from appeal to better use of time, but fails to make a complete case here.

GG Con.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:03:29 PM
"There she goes... There she goes again... Racing through my brain..."
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:03:37 PM
It's a game. We play games to have fun.

Fvck it. No more games in life, then.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:06:48 PM
At 12/30/2014 8:01:17 PM, RevNge wrote:

1) Productive

she just thinks its a waste of time
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:06:48 PM
At 12/30/2014 8:02:37 PM, Envisage wrote:

1) Productive

RFD - 1/1

Pro fails to make a substantive case, with most her arguments consisting of emotional appeals. Fails to argue why Mafia being a time sink is a "waste" (this in fact just begs the question). Only half dec t argument was from appeal to better use of time, but fails to make a complete case here.

GG Con.

It's a waste because you could be doing better things (and I gave examples).
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:07:31 PM
At 12/30/2014 8:06:48 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/30/2014 8:01:17 PM, RevNge wrote:

1) Productive

she just thinks its a waste of time

Which is why she doesn't understand Mafia. :3
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:07:36 PM
At 12/30/2014 8:03:24 PM, RevNge wrote:
Now watch as Maikuru, FT, Khaos, and numerous other Mafia players flock to this thread...

Good. I want them to justify this lack of judgement in use of their time.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:08:44 PM
At 12/30/2014 8:06:48 PM, Zarroette wrote:

1) Productive

RFD - 1/1

GG Con.

Define "better things". Your case is heavily opinionated and objective.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:10:03 PM
At 12/30/2014 8:07:36 PM, Zarroette wrote:
Now watch as Maikuru, FT, Khaos, and numerous other Mafia players flock to this thread...

I want you to justify your lack of judgment in use of our time.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:10:25 PM

they have lives outside of DDO and a lifestyle is only healthy if you have a good amount of work balanced with play. one more thing. If you think mafia is so easy than you play and win 10 and actually do something in each of them.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:10:35 PM
At 12/30/2014 8:08:44 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 12/30/2014 8:06:48 PM, Zarroette wrote:

1) Productive

RFD - 1/1

GG Con.

Define "better things". Your case is heavily opinionated and objective.

More productive and more satisfying.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:13:37 PM
At 12/30/2014 8:10:25 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

they have lives outside of DDO and a lifestyle is only healthy if you have a good amount of work balanced with play.

Nonsense. Explain to me how spending at least 5 hours on a game is healthy.

one more thing. If you think mafia is so easy than you play and win 10 and actually do something in each of them.

This is irrelevant.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:14:47 PM
At 12/30/2014 8:03:37 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Do you think you should be spending hours even days on a game within a short period of time, then?
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:16:22 PM
At 12/30/2014 8:14:47 PM, Zarroette wrote:

Do you think you should be spending hours even days on a game within a short period of time, then?

Sure. Why not? What inherently important thing am I missing by turning on my phone to make a few posts on DDO?

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:17:18 PM

If you think we're "camping" behind a computer screen for days while playing Mafia, you obviously don't understand it at all.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:17:43 PM
At 12/30/2014 8:16:22 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Sure. Why not? What inherently important thing am I missing by turning on my phone to make a few posts on DDO?

Experiencing life, maybe? You know, not vying for instant-gratification, easy achievements that are unsatisfying.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:19:19 PM
At 12/30/2014 8:17:43 PM, Zarroette wrote:

Experiencing life, maybe? You know, not vying for instant-gratification, easy achievements that are unsatisfying.

What she means is, Harder, is that you have no life.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:19:53 PM

1) Productive

TL;DR: Get a life.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:20:19 PM

You have a rather narrow view of things that are satisfying.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:20:49 PM
At 12/30/2014 8:17:18 PM, RevNge wrote:

If you think we're "camping" behind a computer screen for days while playing Mafia, you obviously don't understand it at all.

Don't try to tell me that you don't have to sit down for extended periods of time to analyse the posts. This isn't something that is easy to play, necessarily. It takes involvement (and therefore time).
SebUK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:21:11 PM
You getting criticised ? What a joke , you must be one of the most hateful people on here .You Along with Max.Wallace I have the least respect on this site.
I WILL DECIDE WHAT THIS DEBATE IS ABOUT. I AM SPIRITUAL, NOT RELIGIOYUS. YOU DONT HAVE TO BE RELIGIOUS TO BELIEVE IN GOD, AND YOU DO WORSHIP MONEY IF YOU CARE MORE ABOUT YOUR WALLET THAAN YOU DO THE POOR. YOU ARE A TROLL THAT IS OUT FOR ATTENTUION."- SitaraMusica
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:21:17 PM
Mafia all day erryday
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:21:19 PM
At 12/30/2014 8:19:19 PM, RevNge wrote:

What she means is, Harder, is that you have no life.

I'm deeply offended.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:21:24 PM
At 12/30/2014 8:20:19 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

You don't understand how humans operate.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:22:06 PM
At 12/30/2014 8:20:49 PM, Zarroette wrote:
At 12/30/2014 8:17:18 PM, RevNge wrote:

Don't try to tell me that you don't have to sit down for extended periods of time to analyse the posts.

Don't try to tell me that your presumed exaggerations are true, either.
This isn't something that is easy to play, necessarily. It takes involvement (and therefore time).

Point being?
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:22:22 PM
At 12/30/2014 8:21:24 PM, Zarroette wrote:
At 12/30/2014 8:20:19 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

You don't understand how humans operate.

Try again...that did not connect at all.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King