Jump to topic:

Why breathing is a waste of time.

Geographia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 11:45:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
There seems to be a religious following of Breathing on DDO. I always get criticized and ignored when I make this point within threads, so I'm going to flesh-out my point here. There are usually at dozens of breathing people on DDO at any time. My question to the people who breathe is: have you really nothing better to do?

I mean, could you not find something better to do than to breathe in and out for days on upon of which generates nothing of serious value? What do you produce by breathing? Could not your mental energy be directed better into something that is:

1) Productive

2) Is actually difficult to achieve, thereby granting you a better feeling once completed

Honestly, Breathing is nothing more than a time-sink for people who have boring lives. I can understand the odd gasp of air every several months, but breathing this frequently is indicative of a life wasting.

Just think of all the possibilities life have to offer (e.g. travelling, learning a trade/skill, reading to learn earning a computer language, putting your consciousness in the Singularity, etc.), none of which require breathing. Do you now realise the embarrassment of being out in public breathing?
BLAHthedebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 12:06:03 PM
At 12/31/2014 11:45:04 AM, Geographia wrote:
There seems to be a religious following of Breathing on DDO. I always get criticized and ignored when I make this point within threads, so I'm going to flesh-out my point here. There are usually at dozens of breathing people on DDO at any time. My question to the people who breathe is: have you really nothing better to do?

Actually, we have better things to do. It's just that our bodies tell us it's mandatory to breathe, thus making it an old habit that is hard to break.

I mean, could you not find something better to do than to breathe in and out for days on upon of which generates nothing of serious value? What do you produce by breathing? Could not your mental energy be directed better into something that is:

1) Productive

2) Is actually difficult to achieve, thereby granting you a better feeling once completed

By breathing, we are able to generate energy and fuel that our organs need to function. And it does have serious value. Without breathing, our organs fail and we die.

Honestly, Breathing is nothing more than a time-sink for people who have boring lives. I can understand the odd gasp of air every several months, but breathing this frequently is indicative of a life wasting.

Does that mean we all have boring lives, including you?

Just think of all the possibilities life have to offer (e.g. travelling, learning a trade/skill, reading to learn earning a computer language, putting your consciousness in the Singularity, etc.), none of which require breathing. Do you now realise the embarrassment of being out in public breathing?

We can't really be embarrassed by breathing since everyone does it.
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas...
Is...
Youuuuuu
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:29:16 PM

1) Productive

For you, breathing is a waste of time.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:30:11 PM
At 12/31/2014 3:29:16 PM, Zarroette wrote:

1) Productive

For you, breathing is a waste of time.

That's not very nice. :P
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:44:43 PM

1) Productive

I'm not breathing. Where did you get your stats? Me and everyone else only exist in your head.

You're in a coma.

Wake up!!!!!!!!!
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:48:00 PM
At 12/31/2014 3:44:43 PM, Wylted wrote:

1) Productive

I'm not breathing. Where did you get your stats? Me and everyone else only exist in your head.

You're in a coma.

Wake up!!!!!!!!!

Wylted dude, don't be so spooky dude, wow...
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:52:27 PM
At 12/31/2014 3:52:12 PM, Wylted wrote:
You know what's a waste of time? Threads on things that are a waste of time.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:56:36 PM

Mine isn't a waste of time. :3
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:57:08 PM
At 12/31/2014 3:56:36 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

the one i just made probably tops them all ;D
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:58:56 PM
At 12/31/2014 3:57:08 PM, imabench wrote:
At 12/31/2014 3:56:36 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

the one i just made probably tops them all ;D

In silliness? Yes. But I still kind of like mine. XD
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 4:15:17 PM
At 12/31/2014 11:52:09 AM, RevNge wrote:
Is this a thing now?

Do you know that 100% of people that breath O2 die!
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 4:15:42 PM
At 12/31/2014 4:15:17 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Is this a thing now?

Eventually, yes.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 4:20:15 PM
At 12/31/2014 4:15:42 PM, RevNge wrote:
Is this a thing now?

Eventually, yes.

If people breath nothing but O2 they will die. It will cause your body to Oxidate.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 4:20:57 PM
At 12/31/2014 4:20:15 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 12/31/2014 4:15:42 PM, RevNge wrote:
Is this a thing now?

Eventually, yes.

If people breath nothing but O2 they will die. It will cause your body to Oxidate.

True, we need nitrogen as well.
Geographia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 4:24:47 PM
Is this a thing now?

How much oxygen do you need to burst your lungs?
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 4:32:53 PM

1) Productive

A person breathing is being productive. A person breaths in oxygen and expels carbon dioxide. This in turn feeds flora(trees, plants, algae, and whatnot).

For a person with asthma or other medical complications, it can be difficult to achieve.

"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 4:40:51 PM
At 12/31/2014 4:24:47 PM, Geographia wrote:
Is this a thing now?

How much oxygen do you need to burst your lungs?

Depends on the size and their capacity.