Jump to topic:

Why arguing is a waste of time.

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 12:03:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
There seems to be a religious following of Professional Arguers on DDO. I always get criticized and ignored when I make this point within threads, so I'm going to flesh-out my point here. There are usually at least half-a-dozen arguments running at any time. My question to the people who argue is: have you really nothing better to do?

I mean, could you not find something better to do than get in a fight that takes hours or days to complete, of which generates nothing of serious value? What do you produce by this constant arguing? Could not your mental energy be directed better into something that is:

1) Productive

2) Is actually difficult to achieve, thereby granting you a better feeling once completed

Honestly, arguments are nothing more than a time-sink for people who have boring lives. I can understand the odd fight every several months, but arguing this frequently is indicative of a life wasted

Just think of all the possibilities life have to offer (e.g. traveling, learning a trade/skill, reading to learn etc.), and then realize the embarrassment of camping behind a computer to try and win a petty argument of no consequence.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 2:04:27 PM
At 12/31/2014 12:03:12 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
There seems to be a religious following of Professional Arguers on DDO. I always get criticized and ignored when I make this point within threads, so I'm going to flesh-out my point here. There are usually at least half-a-dozen arguments running at any time. My question to the people who argue is: have you really nothing better to do?

I mean, could you not find something better to do than get in a fight that takes hours or days to complete, of which generates nothing of serious value? What do you produce by this constant arguing? Could not your mental energy be directed better into something that is:

1) Productive

2) Is actually difficult to achieve, thereby granting you a better feeling once completed

Honestly, arguments are nothing more than a time-sink for people who have boring lives. I can understand the odd fight every several months, but arguing this frequently is indicative of a life wasted

Just think of all the possibilities life have to offer (e.g. traveling, learning a trade/skill, reading to learn etc.), and then realize the embarrassment of camping behind a computer to try and win a petty argument of no consequence.

Historic day:
Mishapqueen gives trolling a shot for the first time.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 2:10:46 PM
ROFL

Omg. I <3 u Squirrel Queen <3
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 2:19:35 PM
At 12/31/2014 2:04:27 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

1) Productive

Historic day:
Mishapqueen gives trolling a shot for the first time.

Haha! :P

I don't know if it is the first time, but it doesn't happen very often. I'm a bit fed up with the constant bickering over nothing though.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 2:20:13 PM
At 12/31/2014 2:10:46 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
ROFL

Omg. I <3 u Squirrel Queen <3

I <3 you too, Esocial! :D

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:27:29 PM

1) Productive

You too?! Ffs.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:29:02 PM
At 12/31/2014 3:27:29 PM, Zarroette wrote:

1) Productive

You too?! Ffs.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:33:46 PM
At 12/31/2014 3:30:46 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
This is the most sensible one of these threads. If only we were all more like squirrels.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:43:18 PM
At 12/31/2014 3:30:46 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
This is the most sensible one of these threads. If only we were all more like squirrels.

Lol, thank you. :)

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam