Jump to topic:

How relevant are us debaters?

phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 11:26:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I was in an argument with someone, and something the person said really stuck.

"You"re not only a relic, you"re a relic of an era that never existed. The Polis wasn"t ever a thing, it was always like this, laconic wit was always the more popular form."

So what do you guys think? Are all of these academic debates, philosophical nitpicks, and long tomes of analysis worth anything? Or are they mere intellectual sportsmanship, arguing for no reason other than arguments sake? Are we really changing anything?
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 11:29:32 PM
At 1/2/2015 11:26:35 PM, phiLockeraptor wrote:

"You"re not only a relic, you"re a relic of an era that never existed. The Polis wasn"t ever a thing, it was always like this, laconic wit was always the more popular form."

So what do you guys think? Are all of these academic debates, philosophical nitpicks, and long tomes of analysis worth anything? Or are they mere intellectual sportsmanship, arguing for no reason other than arguments sake? Are we really changing anything?

It's changing our mindset and perception, along with showing us how to embrace new thoughts and ideas. Anytime you learn something it's an objective win. The pursuit of knowledge is a timeless quest.
phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 11:33:05 PM
At 1/2/2015 11:29:32 PM, Mikal wrote:

It's changing our mindset and perception, along with showing us how to embrace new thoughts and ideas. Anytime you learn something it's an objective win. The pursuit of knowledge is a timeless quest.

Hmm. I see what you mean, but as far as impact goes. Do we change anything? Are most people as receptive to "knowledge" as we are?

phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 11:34:40 PM

I suppose something that I'm really getting at is the format we undertake. The "academia", if you will. For all of our newfound discoveries, how effective are we really being at changing things, if people would rather just hear sound-bites and jokes?

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 11:36:43 PM
At 1/2/2015 11:33:05 PM, phiLockeraptor wrote:

Hmm. I see what you mean, but as far as impact goes. Do we change anything? Are most people as receptive to "knowledge" as we are?

Not at all. Most people will never change from debates or any arguments for that matter, at least on a normative scale. It takes extraordinary people in extraordinary positions to shift opinions in most cases. That does not mean that we stop debating or seeking knowledge, as it's a self fulfilling quest as well. The things you learn could have an impact on someone, or many someones. You never know how knowledge can benefit you in the long run, whether it be for self fulfillment or in helping others.
phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 11:40:26 PM
At 1/2/2015 11:36:43 PM, Mikal wrote:

Not at all. Most people will never change from debates or any arguments for that matter, at least on a normative scale. It takes extraordinary people in extraordinary positions to shift opinions in most cases. That does not mean that we stop debating or seeking knowledge, as it's a self fulfilling quest as well. The things you learn could have an impact on someone, or many someones. You never know how knowledge can benefit you in the long run, whether it be for self fulfillment or in helping others.

I get what you mean. It's just somewhat depressing to think that an ordinary person (and I'm not just talking about myself here) with honest curiosity is ignored or even hated while Smartalek McSoundBite can pop out a meme and get everyone going along with him.

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 11:42:50 PM
At 1/2/2015 11:40:26 PM, phiLockeraptor wrote:

I get what you mean. It's just somewhat depressing to think that an ordinary person (and I'm not just talking about myself here) with honest curiosity is ignored or even hated while Smartalek McSoundBite can pop out a meme and get everyone going along with him.

are you referring to the site?
phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 11:45:16 PM
At 1/2/2015 11:42:50 PM, Mikal wrote:

My complaints? Absolutely not. I love all of the members I've talked to on this site. What I'm referring to is that people on DDO doing their thing in places outside of this website seem to fall on deaf ears, while meaningless jokes and (the masses favorite) ad hominem humor get the ordinary blogger/person/citizen much further.

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 11:45:57 PM
At 1/2/2015 11:45:16 PM, phiLockeraptor wrote:

My complaints? Absolutely not. I love all of the members I've talked to on this site. What I'm referring to is that people on DDO doing their thing in places outside of this website seem to fall on deaf ears, while meaningless jokes and (the masses favorite) ad hominem humor get the ordinary blogger/person/citizen much further.

as is life sadly
phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 11:48:42 PM
At 1/2/2015 11:45:57 PM, Mikal wrote:

as is life sadly

This has always been in the back of my mind, and I suppose that's why being the nations first "celebrity philosopher", making intellectualism admired again, has always been a dream of mine. It couldn't be that hard, could it?

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 11:49:37 PM
At 1/2/2015 11:48:42 PM, phiLockeraptor wrote:

as is life sadly

This has always been in the back of my mind, and I suppose that's why being the nations first "celebrity philosopher", making intellectualism admired again, has always been a dream of mine. It couldn't be that hard, could it?

anything is possible, old cliche but sometimes thats a good thing to have
phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 11:51:54 PM
At 1/2/2015 11:49:37 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 1/2/2015 11:48:42 PM, phiLockeraptor wrote:

as is life sadly

anything is possible, old cliche but sometimes thats a good thing to have

The only thing that is certainly impossible is that which nobody attempts.