Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Novice Advice

Range
Posts: 29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 12:47:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
We've all needed it, we never really got, we'll never give it to someone in need.

Help break this vicious cycle by donating, just one minute of your time, to help a novice, a rookie, a n00b who keeps getting sniped.
With one post, you have the ability, no, the power, to change someone's DDO experience for the better.

I will leave it up to the community, in order to have a Range of opinions presented.
Anything can be justified. You just need a solid framework and some duct tape.
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 12:55:33 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/3/2015 12:47:30 AM, Range wrote:
We've all needed it, we never really got, we'll never give it to someone in need.

Help break this vicious cycle by donating, just one minute of your time, to help a novice, a rookie, a n00b who keeps getting sniped.
With one post, you have the ability, no, the power, to change someone's DDO experience for the better.

I will leave it up to the community, in order to have a Range of opinions presented.

I see what you did there...

If anything, just ask someone who isn't a noob for advice. There was a beginner's debate tournament that started a while back where beginners were given a mentor to help them craft arguments and stuff like that and teach them in the setting of a debate tournament (of which I'm a mentor, so I guess I'm just shamelessly plugging, but oh well). You could ask any of them, or any of the people running the tournament.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 7:44:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Link in my signature.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
Range
Posts: 29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 7:52:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Alright. One way to handle this is to post a link and dust your hands off. However...

I'll revamp this: what is the ONE piece of advice you would want to pass onto a novice?
Anything can be justified. You just need a solid framework and some duct tape.
RevNge
Posts: 13,835
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 7:59:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/3/2015 7:52:22 PM, Range wrote:
Alright. One way to handle this is to post a link and dust your hands off. However...

I'll revamp this: what is the ONE piece of advice you would want to pass onto a novice?

Never debate a purple circle. They'll inevitably forfeit.
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 8:04:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Novice advice:

1. Read the debates of very good debaters and do what they do.

2. Do not get discouraged when you lose debates. Take losses as challenges to improve.

3. Be very careful about resolutions and understand the concept of a burden of proof.

4. Ask only very good judges to vote on your debate, and solicit their feedback. If you have questions about who is a very good judge, I would suggest Bladerunner and Whiteflame are the people you should go to.

5. Understand that not all arguments will resonate with all people. Just because a judge gave you a loss does not mean that you necessarily failed to produce a good argument. That may be the case, or not. A loss only means, however, that a particular judge did not find what you said compelling enough to merit a win against your opponent.
Tsar of DDO
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 8:22:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/3/2015 7:52:22 PM, Range wrote:
Alright. One way to handle this is to post a link and dust your hands off. However...

I'll revamp this: what is the ONE piece of advice you would want to pass onto a novice?

Don't suck.

What you're asking is really hard to answer beyond general common-sense tips that anyone with two brain-cells can reason themselves to given enough time. If you want general tips on how to write an argument then by all means, there's plenty of resources scattered around the site to give you all the general fun facts that you want.

If you want actual help, however, that's not just something anyone can hand off to you, at least not without looking at the way you structure arguments and responses to different arguments. If you want actual advice, my best advice I can give you is to ask a good debater to mentor you through a debate or two and critique your argument style and give you tips on how to improve. Better yet, ask a good debater to debate you, and provide round-by-round feedback on what you're doing and what you should be doing. At the end of the debate, go back over with him/her the arguments and what happened, what you could've done better, and what you did well.

There's my advice.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
rikomalpense
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 12:07:34 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/3/2015 7:59:49 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 1/3/2015 7:52:22 PM, Range wrote:
Alright. One way to handle this is to post a link and dust your hands off. However...

I'll revamp this: what is the ONE piece of advice you would want to pass onto a novice?

Never debate a purple circle. They'll inevitably forfeit.

Sorry, but what's a purple circle?
The sky looks violet through rose-coloured glasses.
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 2:11:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 12:07:34 AM, rikomalpense wrote:
At 1/3/2015 7:59:49 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 1/3/2015 7:52:22 PM, Range wrote:
Alright. One way to handle this is to post a link and dust your hands off. However...

I'll revamp this: what is the ONE piece of advice you would want to pass onto a novice?

Never debate a purple circle. They'll inevitably forfeit.

Sorry, but what's a purple circle?

Go to your account.
Hit edit account.
Click on Picture.
In the choose your avatar box, scroll to the bottom.
The last possible choice.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...