Jump to topic:

Asking certain users not to vote.

Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 7:03:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I had an economics debate with Subutai and requested 3 users by name that shouldn't vote. One of them voted anyway (against me of course) and gave conduct to my opponent for requesting the he shouldn't vote. This request was bolded at the very bottom of my last round. What is the policy on this?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 7:04:14 PM
At 1/4/2015 7:03:05 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
I had an economics debate with Subutai and requested 3 users by name that shouldn't vote. One of them voted anyway (against me of course) and gave conduct to my opponent for requesting the he shouldn't vote. This request was bolded at the very bottom of my last round. What is the policy on this?

Do judge debates or manipulate ELO to prevent that, otherwise you have no control .

What debate?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 7:06:11 PM

You mentioned it in the last round also which is a fil move because they'd read through all that for nothing.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 7:06:13 PM
Make future debates "judge only" debates or, as Wylted suggested, set an elo floor to prevent people with low elo's from voting.

And again, I would suggest getting Whiteflame or Bladerunner to vote on your debate. They are the "gold standard" when it comes to voting.

There are many people who think they're good voters... very few who can both consistently get it right, and get it right for the right reasons.
Tsar of DDO
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 7:12:11 PM
Well it sounds like I should've made the voting restrictions tighter. It just stinks when you can literally predict an auto vote against you.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 7:14:32 PM
Coming from the one who did the debate, you should have specified that in round 1 instead of the bottom of your last argument. The same goes for excluding sources during argumentation. If you want to blanket prevent people from voting and using certain sources, say so in the first round.

Overall, I don't see a problem with the RFD (he voted for me, so I have some obvious bias though), and I'm curious why you'd just exclude people regardless of how good their RFD would be.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 7:20:44 PM
At 1/4/2015 7:14:32 PM, Subutai wrote:

Feel free to seek revenge on him by voting on the debate I had with him. There is no choice but to vote for me for obvious reasons.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 7:24:22 PM
I think it is acceptable to ask certain users not to vote.

The select judges feature is a bad solution to the problem if there are just 2 or 3 people you know have an interest in your debate but will almost certainly vote you down.

In competitive debate there are "judge strikes" that let you list a certain number of judges you DONT want. All judges have bias, some judges will just never vote for certain things, you have to control for that if you want a fair competition.

Judges who violate the terms of debate in R1 should have their votes removed. If the R1 round say "no new arguments in the final round" and a judge bases their decision on a new argument in the final round, that vote is unfair and should be removed. Same with a judge strike.

Of course you should put it at the start of the debate so they don't read the whole thing then see your request. If I read a whole debate I'd probably vote on it even if asked not to. I wouldn't read or vote if I saw the request at the beginning.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 7:25:59 PM
At 1/4/2015 7:24:22 PM, Raisor wrote:

The select judges feature is a bad solution to the problem if there are just 2 or 3 people you know have an interest in your debate but will almost certainly vote you down.

In competitive debate there are "judge strikes" that let you list a certain number of judges you DONT want. All judges have bias, some judges will just never vote for certain things, you have to control for that if you want a fair competition.

Judges who violate the terms of debate in R1 should have their votes removed. If the R1 round say "no new arguments in the final round" and a judge bases their decision on a new argument in the final round, that vote is unfair and should be removed. Same with a judge strike.

Of course you should put it at the start of the debate so they don't read the whole thing then see your request. If I read a whole debate I'd probably vote on it even if asked not to. I wouldn't read or vote if I saw the request at the beginning.

Also users shouldnt be offended if someone asks them not to vote. Everyone on this site probably has a reason for which someone could strike them.
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 7:32:34 PM
At 1/4/2015 7:25:59 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 1/4/2015 7:24:22 PM, Raisor wrote:

Also users shouldnt be offended if someone asks them not to vote. Everyone on this site probably has a reason for which someone could strike them.

I know I do! :P
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 7:55:56 PM

Speak for yourself! Over 1000 votes cast and not a single complaint. Quality control like that is how I landed tulle.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 8:08:11 PM
At 1/4/2015 7:55:56 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Speak for yourself! Over 1000 votes cast and not a single complaint. Quality control like that is how I landed tulle.

You must never have voted on one of my debates. Guess I'm just good at keeping the rabble in line.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 8:49:55 PM
At 1/4/2015 7:55:56 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Hmm mm. Over 2300 votes and no date in site. Shall I quote Derpy Hooves , "I just don't know what went wrong. "
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 9:09:25 PM

Subutai's right. If you wanted to forbid certain people from voting, you should have made that clear in the first round. That way, Subutai could accept/decline the debate with that in mind.