Jump to topic:

Final Post / Summary

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 2:18:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am going to go ahead and address the bench thing before I leave and stuff gets stirred up, then clarify in great detail why I'm leaving. This is a debate site, no more no less. A site where friends are suppose to come together, and enjoy discussion of all types of topics. When I set out to be president of the site, I did so with the intent and hope I could improve this place. There has been quite a deal of drama over the past few months, and I sincerely thought I could help it. I still think I did my part in ways. I managed to get two tournaments going, kept up with the weekly updates, and answered any question from new members with reliable accuracy.

Bench said I planned to step down, which is only sort of true. I originally loved the presidency and thought it was great, until the last election. That election by itself managed to split the site in half and divide DDO as a whole. This is the same group of people that recently came together to me help me out, and help others out, fighting and bickering over an online position that is the sum of whatever you make it out to be in your mind. It's a position with no real power, no real credibility, and the capacity to achieve nothing alone without moderation.

After I saw the impacts of the election, I realized how bad the position itself was. It had BSH and YYW annoyed at each other for a while, it had Blade and Blue annoyed at each other, started flame war after flame war all over a position that is virtually a non factor in moderation. This literally had best friends and acquaintances scratching at each others throats. This is not an issue of voting reform, but an issue that occurs when two competitive users actually seek out the same position. No previous election in the past years has had two people run that both had a shot. The fall out, hatred, and drama is the end effect of that occurring.

Even at the end of the election jackasses like dylanclaw kept bringing back the election into question, stirring the drama about it on and trying to keep it going. Again this just further shows how far the site has fallen. This is a place where I use to be able to log on and have fun, smile, laugh and it was worth the time I spent on here. I enjoyed logging on to hangouts to have conversations with people and play mafia, I enjoyed spamming debates with the intent to improve myself and that last election stuck a nail in that.

On to benchs accusation. With that being said, I had in mind all throughout this controversy, that I now hated this position and it had no real purpose. The drama that came from this election could easily resurface, and that was not an issue of voting reform. I was going to run a debate about abolishing the presidency and step down at some point and use this drama as a key argument for why it should be abolished. I was debating about when to do this, and after I told bluesteel he jumped on me about it and told me it was a bad idea. I decided not to run it, and stick it out through the drama and just tolerate it to the end of the term. I mentioned it to airmax who was equally pissed. Basically after consulting with both of them, I just took the malcontent I had with the office and dealt with it.

That is until recently more and more stuff happened. Addison was put on probation for getting drunk and harassing new users along with YYW and BSH, which turned out okay in the end (some what) but I got criticism for it. Then the Ima thing stuck it over the top. All during the election he told me intended to maintain civility and that not doing so would be a reflection on me and I took him at his word.

That was until he told a user that her face look like it got hit with a hot shovel, and he wanted to *** her with a bag on top of her head. This was directed at a close friend of mine and yes it erked me. That just escalated the office to a worse position. Now the VP sexually assaulted someone and got temp banned after he got like 20 warnings prior to this. All of DDO was right when they said I should have kicked him out asap , yet I defended him because I felt a sort of obligation for the help ima gave me when I was in trouble. After strong recollection that could not be escaped. I promised you guys that he would behave and I would handle it if he did not, and yet I still found myself defending his actions when he sexually harassed a user against her will. Then found myself advocating for a ban of a user for calling someone an idiot while defending him. I could not remain a hypocrite, so for all intents and purposes I was going to remove him upon his ban being lifted in order to maintain fairness and have Bluesteel step up as VP

That was where I was at recently. Just dealing with the shitstorm of drama that occurred and debating for fun because I enjoy it. That brings us to a day ago when I finished my recent debate with bluesteel. Some of the votes in that debate were into question and I was winning the debate by 5 votes. This was going to end up causing a rift between bluesteel and the site. Bluesteel is one of the only reasons I still log on daily. He has stood by me from day 1 and is like my best friend on here, and that goes to show why I don't do serious debates, and that extends even further as to why I don't do serious debates with friends. I had no problem losing the debate, if it meant keeping my best friend on the site so I offered a concession which still got flack. Like no matter what choice I picked, I got bashed for it. Either I let the votes go the way they are (good or bad) and risk a friend leaving the site over the quality of votes, or I conceded and got people that devoted hours into a RFD mad at me for offering the concession. I enjoyed the debate and it was fun, but again just more stuff on my plate.

__________________________________________________________________________________

That leaves me where I'm at now. I can't log into the site without seeing drama. I can't debate for fun anymore. Most of my friends have left and or possibly are leaving. Just the value of this site has drastically decreased because of this election

I firmly believe the presidency should be dissolved and airmax should moderate it with the help of a few users under him. The drama that has occurred from this has split the site in two, and it seems like its past the point of recovery.

6 months ago to a year ago when I first joined, was my best times on the site. I loved playing mafia on G+, I loved logging in to spam debates, I loved talking to my friends on here. There was never anyone beating each other up over drama. This election has broken this site.

Now there is virtually no reason for me to stay. I'm scared to do debates because every time I do debates there is fall out. I'm scared to post certain things because every time I do there is a fall out. My entire purpose for being here is lost outside of the people I care about.

I firmly believe if someone takes over they will do well. I hope this site never goes through an election like that again, and personally I wish the presidency would be dissolved. I'm just tired of all the bickering and fighting. This site is not fun any more. It's just a headache. I log on here to have fun and escape life in ways. It's my outlet, my hobby. That hobby and outlet has now become worse of a hassle than the stuff I like to escape from. I hope when I decide to actively participate again it will have changed, and everyone can be friends again.

For now, I literally have no reason to stay. I am going to log on to check messages, but I just lost everything I loved about the site and I can't find it.

I wish you all the best, and I hope the quality of the site improves while the abrasive nature found within it decreases

Cheers and love
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 2:19:47 PM
At 1/5/2015 2:18:52 PM, Mikal wrote:
I am going to go ahead and address the bench thing before I leave and stuff gets stirred up, then clarify in great detail why I'm leaving. This is a debate site, no more no less. A site where friends are suppose to come together, and enjoy discussion of all types of topics. When I set out to be president of the site, I did so with the intent and hope I could improve this place. There has been quite a deal of drama over the past few months, and I sincerely thought I could help it. I still think I did my part in ways. I managed to get two tournaments going, kept up with the weekly updates, and answered any question from new members with reliable accuracy.

Bench said I planned to step down, which is only sort of true. I originally loved the presidency and thought it was great, until the last election. That election by itself managed to split the site in half and divide DDO as a whole. This is the same group of people that recently came together to me help me out, and help others out, fighting and bickering over an online position that is the sum of whatever you make it out to be in your mind. It's a position with no real power, no real credibility, and the capacity to achieve nothing alone without moderation.

After I saw the impacts of the election, I realized how bad the position itself was. It had BSH and YYW annoyed at each other for a while, it had Blade and Blue annoyed at each other, started flame war after flame war all over a position that is virtually a non factor in moderation. This literally had best friends and acquaintances scratching at each others throats. This is not an issue of voting reform, but an issue that occurs when two competitive users actually seek out the same position. No previous election in the past years has had two people run that both had a shot. The fall out, hatred, and drama is the end effect of that occurring.

Even at the end of the election jackasses like dylanclaw kept bringing back the election into question, stirring the drama about it on and trying to keep it going. Again this just further shows how far the site has fallen. This is a place where I use to be able to log on and have fun, smile, laugh and it was worth the time I spent on here. I enjoyed logging on to hangouts to have conversations with people and play mafia, I enjoyed spamming debates with the intent to improve myself and that last election stuck a nail in that.

On to benchs accusation. With that being said, I had in mind all throughout this controversy, that I now hated this position and it had no real purpose. The drama that came from this election could easily resurface, and that was not an issue of voting reform. I was going to run a debate about abolishing the presidency and step down at some point and use this drama as a key argument for why it should be abolished. I was debating about when to do this, and after I told bluesteel he jumped on me about it and told me it was a bad idea. I decided not to run it, and stick it out through the drama and just tolerate it to the end of the term. I mentioned it to airmax who was equally pissed. Basically after consulting with both of them, I just took the malcontent I had with the office and dealt with it.

That is until recently more and more stuff happened. Addison was put on probation for getting drunk and harassing new users along with YYW and BSH, which turned out okay in the end (some what) but I got criticism for it. Then the Ima thing stuck it over the top. All during the election he told me intended to maintain civility and that not doing so would be a reflection on me and I took him at his word.

That was until he told a user that her face look like it got hit with a hot shovel, and he wanted to *** her with a bag on top of her head. This was directed at a close friend of mine and yes it erked me. That just escalated the office to a worse position. Now the VP sexually assaulted someone and got temp banned after he got like 20 warnings prior to this. All of DDO was right when they said I should have kicked him out asap , yet I defended him because I felt a sort of obligation for the help ima gave me when I was in trouble. After strong recollection that could not be escaped. I promised you guys that he would behave and I would handle it if he did not, and yet I still found myself defending his actions when he sexually harassed a user against her will. Then found myself advocating for a ban of a user for calling someone an idiot while defending him. I could not remain a hypocrite, so for all intents and purposes I was going to remove him upon his ban being lifted in order to maintain fairness and have Bluesteel step up as VP

That was where I was at recently. Just dealing with the shitstorm of drama that occurred and debating for fun because I enjoy it. That brings us to a day ago when I finished my recent debate with bluesteel. Some of the votes in that debate were into question and I was winning the debate by 5 votes. This was going to end up causing a rift between bluesteel and the site. Bluesteel is one of the only reasons I still log on daily. He has stood by me from day 1 and is like my best friend on here, and that goes to show why I don't do serious debates, and that extends even further as to why I don't do serious debates with friends. I had no problem losing the debate, if it meant keeping my best friend on the site so I offered a concession which still got flack. Like no matter what choice I picked, I got bashed for it. Either I let the votes go the way they are (good or bad) and risk a friend leaving the site over the quality of votes, or I conceded and got people that devoted hours into a RFD mad at me for offering the concession. I enjoyed the debate and it was fun, but again just more stuff on my plate.

__________________________________________________________________________________

That leaves me where I'm at now. I can't log into the site without seeing drama. I can't debate for fun anymore. Most of my friends have left and or possibly are leaving. Just the value of this site has drastically decreased because of this election

I firmly believe the presidency should be dissolved and airmax should moderate it with the help of a few users under him. The drama that has occurred from this has split the site in two, and it seems like its past the point of recovery.

6 months ago to a year ago when I first joined, was my best times on the site. I loved playing mafia on G+, I loved logging in to spam debates, I loved talking to my friends on here. There was never anyone beating each other up over drama. This election has broken this site.

Now there is virtually no reason for me to stay. I'm scared to do debates because every time I do debates there is fall out. I'm scared to post certain things because every time I do there is a fall out. My entire purpose for being here is lost outside of the people I care about.

I firmly believe if someone takes over they will do well. I hope this site never goes through an election like that again, and personally I wish the presidency would be dissolved. I'm just tired of all the bickering and fighting. This site is not fun any more. It's just a headache. I log on here to have fun and escape life in ways. It's my outlet, my hobby. That hobby and outlet has now become worse of a hassle than the stuff I like to escape from. I hope when I decide to actively participate again it will have changed, and everyone can be friends again.

For now, I literally have no reason to stay. I am going to log on to check messages, but I just lost everything I loved about the site and I can't find it.

I wish you all the best, and I hope the quality of the site improves while the abrasive nature found within it decreases

Cheers and love

Goodbye.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 2:22:06 PM

Cheers and love

Who's your successor, if there is to be one at all?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
LayersofLols
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 2:23:00 PM
Some people were meant to be players, some were meant to run the game.

You're a great debater, not a great site president.
Just before you die will you remember a life of your smile changing the world or of the world changing your smile?
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 2:23:25 PM
I don't understand why you are scared to do debates.
If the debates you do are "unpresidential", then that is something that should have been considered, and I'm almost certain was mentioned, before running for president.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 2:28:32 PM

Cheers and love

I think it's good choice to take some time from social media.

Hope it clears your mind! Always works with me :)
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 2:55:35 PM
At 1/5/2015 2:53:56 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
Please just leave already. You're ridiculous.

Dude, calm down and go jerk off or something.
No need to be mean.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 2:56:49 PM
At 1/5/2015 2:55:35 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

No need to be mean.

I'm just tired of his endless sob stories.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 2:58:48 PM

I'm still checking messages, you illiterate piece of filth. Don't have the courage or faith to believe any of this has to do with you. You are on here as you are in life. A meaningless waste of space, that has no value whatsoever on or off the site. Get rid of the illusion where you actually think your significant, because your not. You have never had value, don't have value now, or never will have value in the future. Accept that and embrace it, because it's your destiny to be nothing.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 2:58:53 PM

The entire site thinks the same of you, at this point.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 2:58:56 PM
At 1/5/2015 2:56:49 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 1/5/2015 2:55:35 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

No need to be mean.

I'm just tired of his endless sob stories.

Isn't it in rather poor taste at this point?
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 3:02:30 PM
At 1/5/2015 2:58:53 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Some do, but certainly not everyone. I really don't see what I've done that's so horrible. I campaigned hard against Mikal because I knew he and Ima would be a disaster. Turns out they were, and now we're hearing that Mikal was conspiring to intentionally throw the presidency and thus waste everyone's time. So please, explain how I've acted "ridiculous".
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 3:04:48 PM
At 1/5/2015 3:02:30 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Some do, but certainly not everyone. I really don't see what I've done that's so horrible. I campaigned hard against Mikal because I knew he and Ima would be a disaster. Turns out they were, and now we're hearing that Mikal was conspiring to intentionally throw the presidency and thus waste everyone's time. So please, explain how I've acted "ridiculous".

Tell me: does DDO need more needless bullsh!t?

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 3:06:39 PM

By being relentless and opportunistic.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 3:09:05 PM
At 1/5/2015 3:06:39 PM, KhaosMage wrote:

If you want to talk about relentlessness, then I'm afraid you'll have to include Mikal as well, who spammed the fk out of the forums with his repetitive campaign threads. As for opportunistic, I don't see how that applies to me nor how that's a bad thing.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 3:10:09 PM
At 1/5/2015 3:09:05 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

If you want to talk about relentlessness, then I'm afraid you'll have to include Mikal as well, who spammed the fk out of the forums with his repetitive campaign threads. As for opportunistic, I don't see how that applies to me nor how that's a bad thing.

http://www.debate.org...

go vote for robert pattinson
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 3:12:54 PM
At 1/5/2015 3:10:09 PM, Cermank wrote:

http://www.debate.org...

go vote for robert pattinson

ew
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 3:15:04 PM
At 1/5/2015 3:04:48 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

No, and if Mikal was actually concerned with minimizing it, he wouldn't have called me out in the OP.
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 3:15:24 PM

If you want to talk about relentlessness, then I'm afraid you'll have to include Mikal as well, who spammed the fk out of the forums with his repetitive campaign threads.
Am I talking about the campaign?

As for opportunistic, I don't see how that applies to me nor how that's a bad thing.
You've posted quite a few threads highlighting his failures.
Being opportunistic in this case, shows confirmation bias and appears petty, even if you are right.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 3:15:57 PM
At 1/5/2015 3:15:04 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

No, and if Mikal was actually concerned with minimizing it, he wouldn't have called me out in the OP.

You made a thread specifically about his presidency failing.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 3:17:26 PM
At 1/5/2015 3:15:57 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Sometimes creating drama is necessary to effect change. I wanted to make sure people realized what a failure he was so that this kind of thing could be avoided in the future.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 3:21:49 PM
At 1/5/2015 3:17:26 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Sometimes creating drama is necessary to effect change. I wanted to make sure people realized what a failure he was so that this kind of thing could be avoided in the future.

http://www.reactiongifs.com...

You make an a$s of yourself, sir.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 3:22:56 PM

Dear god stop
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 3:24:25 PM
At 1/5/2015 3:21:49 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

http://www.reactiongifs.com...

You make an a$s of yourself, sir.

If I was really that concerned with my PR, I wouldn't have taken it this far lol
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 3:28:51 PM
I'm leaving on June 22nd for 5 years. That's assuming the site is still around by then.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 3:41:33 PM
It had BSH and YYW annoyed at each other for a while.

It did, but we managed to survive. Actually, it helped us address a few issues that needed to be dealt with, and that made our relationship stronger. But, in all honesty, it was tense for awhile with us...and that wasn't something I am ever keen to repeat. I largely blame myself for that--I got overinvested in the outcome, and I let my emotions get the better of me. I said and did some things to YYW that I shouldn't have, and I regret doing that.

The drama that came from this election could easily resurface, and that was not an issue of voting reform. I was going to run a debate about abolishing the presidency and step down at some point and use this drama as a key argument for why it should be abolished.

I actually strongly disagree. I do not think the Presidency is something to be abolished, and I certainly don't think one controversial election/administration is sufficient evidence to condemn the institution as a whole.

That was until he told a user that her face look like it got hit with a hot shovel, and he wanted to *** her with a bag on top of her head.

What? I totally did not hear about that...

Either I let the votes go the way they are (good or bad) and risk a friend leaving the site over the quality of votes.

That happens to everyone. There are some votes I really resent even months later...I probably will always resent them. But it's not worth leaving the site; debates are about a lot more than the votes cast on them...Though I can understand that temptation.

-------

Anyway, I know we haven't exactly been on great terms since the election, but I don't think you should step down and I don't think that you should leave the site. But, if you need to, you need to; I know that from firsthand experience. I wish you all the best, and I hope your break gives you the breather you need.

And, with that...I need to get back to my break...but, I'll probably be back early because I miss this site a lot.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...