Jump to topic:

Why the DDO Presidency Should be Abolished

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 4:01:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I made a petition, but I have not stated my case as to why the Presidency needs to be abolished. So, here's some reasons why.

1. Controversial elections have a tendency to bring out the worst in some users.
Exactly what it says on the tin. Pretty self-explanatory. It causes Blade_of_Truth, Lannan13, DylanCatlow, and countless others to do shameful things. As much as I joked about impeaching Mikal and even though the drama makes things more interesting, it is overall detrimental to Debate.org and it needs to go. We will all be better off for it. It has divided friendships and incited bitterness and hatred. Godchooseslife left DDO in part because of the Post-Election drama. Mikal couldn't take it any more and he left.
Is it worth it?

2. It is not needed
The Presidency serves primarily as an instrument of organizing the userbase for Site Improvement.
But we don't actually need the Presidency for that purpose. If you want to help other people on this Site, just do so. You don't need a President to hold your hand.

3. Its origin, according to iconic user "Danielle", was a joke
http://www.debate.org...

Thank you.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 4:15:29 PM
At 1/5/2015 4:01:02 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
How many other sites actually have presidents? It is time DDO start to keep up with the times.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 4:18:02 PM
I made a petition, but I have not stated my case as to why the Presidency needs to be abolished. So, here's some reasons why.

1. Controversial elections have a tendency to bring out the worst in some users.
Exactly what it says on the tin. Pretty self-explanatory. It causes Blade_of_Truth, Lannan13, DylanCatlow, and countless others to do shameful things. As much as I joked about impeaching Mikal and even though the drama makes things more interesting, it is overall detrimental to Debate.org and it needs to go. We will all be better off for it. It has divided friendships and incited bitterness and hatred. Godchooseslife left DDO in part because of the Post-Election drama. Mikal couldn't take it any more and he left.
Is it worth it?

2. It is not needed
The Presidency serves primarily as an instrument of organizing the userbase for Site Improvement.
But we don't actually need the Presidency for that purpose. If you want to help other people on this Site, just do so. You don't need a President to hold your hand.

Thank you.

I'd like to make correction. If it was any part in it it would be small, but Godchooseslife left because her job was giving her more hours and she didn't have anymore time in the day for DDO.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 4:18:27 PM
At 1/5/2015 4:16:31 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
-.-

I'm tired of everyone acting like I did something so horrible.

You kind of did do something horrible.
But the past is in the past, hopefully.

The DDO Blog:

cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 4:18:29 PM
At 1/5/2015 4:18:02 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Is it worth it?

2. It is not needed

Thank you.

I'd like to make correction. If it was any part in it it would be small, but Godchooseslife left because her job was giving her more hours and she didn't have anymore time in the day for DDO.
if the drama played any part i mean
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 4:19:16 PM
At 1/5/2015 4:18:27 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
-.-

You kind of did do something horrible.
But the past is in the past, hopefully.

I mean, I wasn't exactly kind, but I wasn't all that horrible either.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 4:19:23 PM
At 1/5/2015 4:18:02 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Is it worth it?

2. It is not needed

Thank you.

I apologize for that mistake, and thanks for pointing it out.

The DDO Blog:

cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 4:19:25 PM
-.-

You're a reasonable person most of the time, dylan, but this period of time was not your best show of character.
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 4:20:08 PM

Is it worth it?

2. It is not needed

Thank you.

Post this in the religion forums. I am more than sure there are more than a few who don't like the presidency now after the failed crusade by forum warriors.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 4:21:56 PM
At 1/5/2015 4:19:25 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
-.-

You're a reasonable person most of the time, dylan, but this period of time was not your best show of character.

<(* u *)>
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 4:23:12 PM
At 1/5/2015 4:21:56 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
-.-

<(* u *)>

What did you do wrong, and why haven't you punished yourself by punching your scrotum yet?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 4:31:09 PM
At 1/5/2015 4:23:12 PM, Wylted wrote:
-.-

<(* u *)>

What did you do wrong, and why haven't you punished yourself by punching your scrotum yet?

Are you this controversial irl?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 4:38:32 PM
At 1/5/2015 4:31:09 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 1/5/2015 4:23:12 PM, Wylted wrote:
-.-

<(* u *)>

Are you this controversial irl?

People grow numb to it.