Jump to topic:

Can we stop abusing th unvoted debates thread

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 10:55:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If you just finished your debate, of course it doesn't have any votes yet, so why post it in the thread? The thread is for people struggling to get votes on their debate. Debates that ended within 24 hours shouldn't be applicable. I understand that people wish to get their debates noticed, but it makes it even harder for those with a genuine need for votes to get their debates viewed when there are so many other posts asking for votes.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
RainbowDash52
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 11:03:19 PM
At 1/5/2015 10:55:17 PM, phantom wrote:
If you just finished your debate, of course it doesn't have any votes yet, so why post it in the thread? The thread is for people struggling to get votes on their debate. Debates that ended within 24 hours shouldn't be applicable. I understand that people wish to get their debates noticed, but it makes it even harder for those with a genuine need for votes to get their debates viewed when there are so many other posts asking for votes.

Agreed
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 11:08:41 PM

Because there isn't a post limit on a thread, so no one's really that concerned if you post a finished debate there. You aren't really wasting space. You can post it when it's done, or later. It's not important when, so long as it's unvoted on. By it a minute old or a week old, in what way is the difference (what difference?) significant enough for it to matter.

This comes off as whining. It's not important. It contributes nothing meaningful. This was a pointless thread to make. Ultimately, unvoted debates go through PMs anyways. I question who goes to the unvoted thread looking to vote anyways.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 11:11:14 PM

And if you read the thread, it says unvoted debates. Nothing else. Not "Week old unvoted debates." Just unvoted debates. Be it new or a month old. If your debates needs votes, put it there. And when it's just finished, it needs votes.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 11:24:58 PM
At 1/5/2015 11:08:41 PM, donald.keller wrote:

Because there isn't a post limit on a thread, so no one's really that concerned if you post a finished debate there. You aren't really wasting space. You can post it when it's done, or later. It's not important when, so long as it's unvoted on. By it a minute old or a week old, in what way is the difference (what difference?) significant enough for it to matter.

It doesn't fit the purpose of the thread. The thread exists so that people who need votes can ask for help. Those who've just completed their debate do not have a remotely legitimate concern for having a lack of votes on their debate. If their debate remains unvoted, then they should post it. They don't know whether their debate will need votes until it's been in the voting period for a few days.

This comes off as whining. It's not important. It contributes nothing meaningful. This was a pointless thread to make.

Not sure how the meaning behind this thread escaped you. If those who didn't have a legitimate reason for posting in the thread stopped posting, then those who really do have unovted debates would have a greater chance of having their debates noticed. In other words, if the thread was used correctly, those that its meant to help would have better chances.

Ultimately, unvoted debates go through PMs anyways. I question who goes to the unvoted thread looking to vote anyways.

Not everyone likes to PM people for votes, or knows who to ask. I don't know how effective the thread is, but it may be fairly helpful, or it may be more effective if it didn't have so many posters. It's been around for over 3 years. It's safe to say that people value it. I'm not sure how trying to improve it equates to pointless whining.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 11:34:35 PM
At 1/5/2015 11:11:14 PM, donald.keller wrote:

And if you read the thread, it says unvoted debates. Nothing else. Not "Week old unvoted debates." Just unvoted debates. Be it new or a month old. If your debates needs votes, put it there. And when it's just finished, it needs votes.

I agree that there's a lack of official criteria--which may excuse it somewhat--but the thread is directed towards specific debates that are in need of votes, not every debate that enters the voting period. The thread does not have much point if all debates apply. I've always considered its function to be to serve those with a real concern over having a lack of votes on their debates, to which newly ended debates are not applicable. Maybe not everyone takes it that way, which is why we should probably establish some criteria, but it doesn't seem to have much point otherwise.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 11:35:14 PM
At 1/5/2015 11:24:58 PM, phantom wrote:

It doesn't fit the purpose of the thread. The thread exists so that people who need votes can ask for help. Those who've just completed their debate do not have a remotely legitimate concern for having a lack of votes on their debate. If their debate remains unvoted, then they should post it. They don't know whether their debate will need votes until it's been in the voting period for a few days.

The purpose of the thread is to post unvoted debates. Nothing more. No other restrictions. And since you can have as many posts there as possible, no one cares if the post is exactly what you want it to be. So long as it's a debate without votes. And they should post it whenever they feel like it. If they post it now, and than have to post it later again because there still aren't any votes, big deal. It doesn't harm the thread, or the other people in it. the thread can hold enough posts for both. Especially since everyone will just ask their friends anyways. It's not important how old your debate is when you post it.

This comes off as whining. It's not important. It contributes nothing meaningful. This was a pointless thread to make.

Not sure how the meaning behind this thread escaped you. If those who didn't have a legitimate reason for posting in the thread stopped posting, then those who really do have unovted debates would have a greater chance of having their debates noticed. In other words, if the thread was used correctly, those that its meant to help would have better chances.

Funny. I don't recall the meaning being written out as "If your debate has no votes, be sure to post it here so that members can become aware of it and vote on it." implies "If your debate is X number of days old, and has no votes..." You're adding meaning that isn't there. And it's not going to help people get votes because the thread barely helps anyways. How many votes do you think even come out of that thread? People visit to post debates. If they want to vote, they go to the Debates ==> Unvoted page. The threads existence is more because one expects it to exist.

Ultimately, unvoted debates go through PMs anyways. I question who goes to the unvoted thread looking to vote anyways.

Not everyone likes to PM people for votes, or knows who to ask. I don't know how effective the thread is, but it may be fairly helpful, or it may be more effective if it didn't have so many posters. It's been around for over 3 years. It's safe to say that people value it. I'm not sure how trying to improve it equates to pointless whining.

It'd be more effective if people had to use it. But they don't... As I said above, they have the 'unvoted' page in the Debate area. Not everyone likes to PM people, but they do and will. And it's been around so long because people expect a thread like it to exist. I don't go there to find debates, but I can't imagine it not existing.

The meaning of the thread is clear... The only restriction... Unvoted Debates. If the debate is a minute old, it's still unvoted, and can go there.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 11:38:16 PM
At 1/5/2015 11:34:35 PM, phantom wrote:

I agree that there's a lack of official criteria--which may excuse it somewhat--but the thread is directed towards specific debates that are in need of votes, not every debate that enters the voting period. The thread does not have much point if all debates apply. I've always considered its function to be to serve those with a real concern over having a lack of votes on their debates, to which newly ended debates are not applicable. Maybe not everyone takes it that way, which is why we should probably establish some criteria, but it doesn't seem to have much point otherwise.

People will post new debates there because those debates are new and need votes. Is it important if the debate needs votes now or later when it can be posted both now and later? If a debate's a week old, and doesn't have votes, people will start asking around. The lack of criteria exists because Airmax isn't concerned with how old the debate it, so long as there aren't any votes on it.

Also, I would like to apologize for saying your complaint is whining. That was wrong, and immature.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 11:44:17 PM

I guess, while the thread doesn't describe a specific type of debate other than unvoted, the fullest interpretation of how it should be used is one of opinion.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 11:51:24 PM
I suggest anyone that uses it, actually vote on one or two of the debates immediately above their post.

Here is what I'd do... Rip it down, and start a new one...

The first few posts of it should probably be informative reminders on voting. I'd also call it "Vote Requests" since lets face it, people want more votes, and new threads for each is a bad idea (while we could fragment things with multiple voting threads, to what use?).

Might be an idea to include a format, so as to discourage idiots writing "vote for me because of x" which often crosses the line into voter manipulation. Yet key word is might.

I would in the second post in the thread, have a link to the last page in the thread via changing the number to something very high. Example: http://www.debate.org... (I know there is a "last page" link in every thread, but lets face it, there are always new people who overlook shortcuts, an extra one to help them out hurts nothing)

Of course either the first, or third post, should contain a voting how to walk-through, copy/pasting from this is fine: https://docs.google.com...
Yet I suspect there may be refinements to be made, for both the layout, and the fact that it is not trying to fit on exactly one printable page.

Another link which should be included in the opening posts (before anyone writes "#first post" type stuff), is the unvoted list http://www.debate.org... (which I once for a short time drove to being the low vote list; it self updates)

Oh and most importantly... A reminder in the first post, to when posting a debate, to please vote for one or two of the debates above your post. If you're going to profit from a system, you should contribute.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
LayersofLols
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 11:56:05 PM
At 1/5/2015 11:51:24 PM, Ragnar wrote:
If you're going to profit from a system, you should contribute.

That's news to me. :o
Just before you die will you remember a life of your smile changing the world or of the world changing your smile?
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 11:56:17 PM
At 1/5/2015 11:35:14 PM, donald.keller wrote:
At 1/5/2015 11:24:58 PM, phantom wrote:

The purpose of the thread is to post unvoted debates. Nothing more. No other restrictions. And since you can have as many posts there as possible,

We obviously disagree over what constitutes an "unvoted debate". Taking it literally, you are right, but I think we should take it with a degree of common sense, and it does not make much sense to have a thread devoted to all debates that enter the voting period. Regardless of whether my interpretation of the thread is correct or not, I believe that it should be what the thread is for, so the OP should be edited and some sort of criteria laid down.

no one cares if the post is exactly what you want it to be.

How do you know no one cares? So far the only other post is in agreement with me.

So long as it's a debate without votes. And they should post it whenever they feel like it. If they post it now, and than have to post it later again because there still aren't any votes, big deal. It doesn't harm the thread, or the other people in it. the thread can hold enough posts for both.

I've explained how it can harm those who actually need votes. You haven't explained how it doesn't.

Especially since everyone will just ask their friends anyways.

Not true. I usually don't ask people to vote and I'm an old member. Newer members are less likely to message friends.

It's not important how old your debate is when you post it.

Actually, the longer its gone without votes and the closer it is towards ending, the more you're in need of votes. So of course the age of the debate matters.

Funny. I don't recall the meaning being written out as "If your debate has no votes, be sure to post it here so that members can become aware of it and vote on it." implies "If your debate is X number of days old, and has no votes..." You're adding meaning that isn't there.

We both agree the meaning of the thread is not distinctly stated out. I'm simply noting that those with a debate an hour into the voting period have no legitimate issue with votes yet, so there's no point at all in having a thread where they can post their debate to help get debates solely because its being unvoted.

And it's not going to help people get votes because the thread barely helps anyways. How many votes do you think even come out of that thread? People visit to post debates. If they want to vote, they go to the Debates ==> Unvoted page. The threads existence is more because one expects it to exist.

Not sure where you're getting this because it's pretty hard to know how much the thread helps. People post extremely regularly so you're obviously in the minority in believing it's useless, and it's worth an effort to better the thread.

It'd be more effective if people had to use it. But they don't... As I said above, they have the 'unvoted' page in the Debate area. Not everyone likes to PM people, but they do and will. And it's been around so long because people expect a thread like it to exist. I don't go there to find debates, but I can't imagine it not existing.

The meaning of the thread is clear... The only restriction... Unvoted Debates. If the debate is a minute old, it's still unvoted, and can go there.

Let's talk about the actual purpose of the thread rather than a literal translation of its title. You're just sidestepping the substance of my argument by saying "nope, it says unvoted and nothing else". I'm trying to make an argument based upon what the implied purpose of the thread is and how useless it would be based on a prima facie interpretation of the title. You're just ignoring it.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 12:01:28 AM
At 1/5/2015 11:38:16 PM, donald.keller wrote:
At 1/5/2015 11:34:35 PM, phantom wrote:

People will post new debates there because those debates are new and need votes. Is it important if the debate needs votes now or later when it can be posted both now and later? If a debate's a week old, and doesn't have votes, people will start asking around. The lack of criteria exists because Airmax isn't concerned with how old the debate it, so long as there aren't any votes on it.

The problem is that there has to be a legitimate "need". The thread only has a purpose if it functions for legitimate needs, and debates that have just ended have no significant need for votes. There's really no point in making a whole thread catering to debates that have just entered the voting period.

Also, I would like to apologize for saying your complaint is whining. That was wrong, and immature.

Cheers. No worries.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 12:03:34 AM
At 1/5/2015 11:44:17 PM, donald.keller wrote:

I guess, while the thread doesn't describe a specific type of debate other than unvoted, the fullest interpretation of how it should be used is one of opinion.

Yeah, it's unclear, which is why I think Airmax should edit the OP to include some standards.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 12:05:14 AM
At 1/6/2015 12:03:34 AM, phantom wrote:

Yeah, it's unclear, which is why I think Airmax should edit the OP to include some standards.

Let's spam him and get his opinion.. Then spam him some more cause we love him so much <_<

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 12:09:00 AM
At 1/6/2015 12:05:14 AM, donald.keller wrote:

Let's spam him and get his opinion.. Then spam him some more cause we love him so much <_<

Already on it.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 12:09:38 AM
At 1/6/2015 12:09:00 AM, phantom wrote:

Already on it.

Emphasize the "spam" part. :D

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 12:12:42 AM
At 1/6/2015 12:09:38 AM, donald.keller wrote:
At 1/6/2015 12:09:00 AM, phantom wrote:

Already on it.

Emphasize the "spam" part. :D

I'll report a bunch of debates with links to this thread.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 12:16:25 AM
I suggest anyone that uses it, actually vote on one or two of the debates immediately above their post.

We had a thread with this requirement going on for a while, but it died out.

Here is what I'd do... Rip it down, and start a new one...

The first few posts of it should probably be informative reminders on voting. I'd also call it "Vote Requests" since lets face it, people want more votes, and new threads for each is a bad idea (while we could fragment things with multiple voting threads, to what use?).

Might be an idea to include a format, so as to discourage idiots writing "vote for me because of x" which often crosses the line into voter manipulation. Yet key word is might.

I would in the second post in the thread, have a link to the last page in the thread via changing the number to something very high. Example: http://www.debate.org... (I know there is a "last page" link in every thread, but lets face it, there are always new people who overlook shortcuts, an extra one to help them out hurts nothing)

Of course either the first, or third post, should contain a voting how to walk-through, copy/pasting from this is fine: https://docs.google.com...
Yet I suspect there may be refinements to be made, for both the layout, and the fact that it is not trying to fit on exactly one printable page.

Another link which should be included in the opening posts (before anyone writes "#first post" type stuff), is the unvoted list http://www.debate.org... (which I once for a short time drove to being the low vote list; it self updates)

Oh and most importantly... A reminder in the first post, to when posting a debate, to please vote for one or two of the debates above your post. If you're going to profit from a system, you should contribute.

All good ideas.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 12:37:20 AM
I suggest anyone that uses it, actually vote on one or two of the debates immediately above their post. If you're going to profit from a system, you should contribute.

That's a really good idea! I'll personally start doing that, I just never even thought of it before. I also fully agree with the contributing point, I've always viewed voting as an equivalent exchange system (probably due to my obsession with full metal alchemist, lol)
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 1:32:43 AM
Some people do seem to do it quite early. I often PM people who I trust to vote on my debates anyway.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...