Jump to topic:

Here's The Rundown: Read and Be Enlightened

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 11:45:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The past month I have been present on the site but not as active as I used to be. I have been watching, rather impartially for the most part, the events that have been unfolding on the site. I will probably do a Drama Farm episode on all of this when I get the time (so stay tuned for that) but here's the rundown on what's been going on and why everyone has failed in their goals during this time of turbulence.

1. Mikal tried to be the "cool" president.

Yes that's right. His whole act was being the "cool guy" as president. He acted aloof, acted as though the site was just a bunch of friends, and most recently acted as though he doesn't care about anything because well... he's a cool dude bruh. He made imabench his VP because bench was seen as the cool, rogue man of the people. It was the edgy and hip thing to do. He tried to shrug off all of the problems and drama and ensuing chaos with a bad mix of uncaringness and fierce defense of his "friends".

But it has become painfully clear that DDO does not want a cool president, they want a mature, responsible and dare I say boring one. Blade, TUF and airmax were not sitting around trying to be cool or hip, they were grinding out the duties of a boring and dull position and we had no problems with that.

This aloof attitude has come back to bite him in the butt.

2. Drama ensues and anti-Drama fury feeds the fire

From someone who follows drama, has caused it, has enjoyed it and has watched it for years in various forms I can confidently say this: trying to stop drama by clamoring for an end to drama will only prolong it. There are people who feed on drama, who like it, and when people whine and cry out "Stop the drama!" it only emboldens them to contiue stirring the pot. Thus, we have a churning pot that has been rolling at a good boil for about a month now. So for all of you who "hate" the drama (we all know you don't really hate it) the best thing to do is to ignore it lest you prolong it.

So we have a ton of, in my opinion, harmless drama revolving around the presidency. And if you don't think its harmless I would like to remind you all of the destructive drama this site has witnessed in the past. This is time wasting and petty drama at best yet people are freaking out over it because its been continuous for a while now and has no end in site.

Mikal is president (I think? He claims he's leaving, how mature) deal with it. If you want to abolish the presidency or impeach him please, silently, go through the process which is clearly listed on the site and do it. If not, shut up about it. Simple.

3. Mikal is done

Due to all of this drama and such Mikal's cool bruh attitude has caused him to not care so hard that he's now leaving... presumably to continue on not caring elsewhere. This leaves the site in a rather unique position as he will be the first president to walk off the job and off the site. Quite frankly he's being a baby. On one hand he says he doesn't care then turns around and says he cares too much to suffer this position any longer. Which is it? In any case, the cool bruh attitude has sank him, his reputation and his position. If he comes back in "a month or two" like he says he'll be seen as a cowardly baby. If he comes back today or tomorrow or sooner he'll look like a weakling with no convictions. Have fun with that. Either way, I think he's done. How can he not be? He's obviously far too immature for this type of burden because he just can't take it anymore.

So good job for all of you who have been fascilitating this drama, you won. Mikal is ruined.

The presidency has been shown to be an overly important and vastly useless position.

Blade came out the real winner, hes the mod with real power and is not being driven from the site.

If you don't like drama, ignore it. If not, shut up about it. It's not going anywhere. I've been on this site for 3 years and rarely is there a week that goes by without some kind of drama. This drama is pretty harmless in comparison.

Finally, go about your lives. Mikal means very little to the site and greater members than him have left with little impact on the day to day running of the site. The presidency doesn't affect your time here. So get over it. Go back to your mafia and your debates and your forum friendships and move on.

Anyways, thats the rundown as I have seen it.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 12:13:30 PM
At 1/6/2015 11:45:45 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
The past month I have been present on the site but not as active as I used to be. I have been watching, rather impartially for the most part, the events that have been unfolding on the site. I will probably do a Drama Farm episode on all of this when I get the time (so stay tuned for that) but here's the rundown on what's been going on and why everyone has failed in their goals during this time of turbulence.

1. Mikal tried to be the "cool" president.

Yes that's right. His whole act was being the "cool guy" as president. He acted aloof, acted as though the site was just a bunch of friends, and most recently acted as though he doesn't care about anything because well... he's a cool dude bruh. He made imabench his VP because bench was seen as the cool, rogue man of the people. It was the edgy and hip thing to do. He tried to shrug off all of the problems and drama and ensuing chaos with a bad mix of uncaringness and fierce defense of his "friends".

But it has become painfully clear that DDO does not want a cool president, they want a mature, responsible and dare I say boring one. Blade, TUF and airmax were not sitting around trying to be cool or hip, they were grinding out the duties of a boring and dull position and we had no problems with that.

This aloof attitude has come back to bite him in the butt.

2. Drama ensues and anti-Drama fury feeds the fire

From someone who follows drama, has caused it, has enjoyed it and has watched it for years in various forms I can confidently say this: trying to stop drama by clamoring for an end to drama will only prolong it. There are people who feed on drama, who like it, and when people whine and cry out "Stop the drama!" it only emboldens them to contiue stirring the pot. Thus, we have a churning pot that has been rolling at a good boil for about a month now. So for all of you who "hate" the drama (we all know you don't really hate it) the best thing to do is to ignore it lest you prolong it.

So we have a ton of, in my opinion, harmless drama revolving around the presidency. And if you don't think its harmless I would like to remind you all of the destructive drama this site has witnessed in the past. This is time wasting and petty drama at best yet people are freaking out over it because its been continuous for a while now and has no end in site.

Mikal is president (I think? He claims he's leaving, how mature) deal with it. If you want to abolish the presidency or impeach him please, silently, go through the process which is clearly listed on the site and do it. If not, shut up about it. Simple.

3. Mikal is done

Due to all of this drama and such Mikal's cool bruh attitude has caused him to not care so hard that he's now leaving... presumably to continue on not caring elsewhere. This leaves the site in a rather unique position as he will be the first president to walk off the job and off the site. Quite frankly he's being a baby. On one hand he says he doesn't care then turns around and says he cares too much to suffer this position any longer. Which is it? In any case, the cool bruh attitude has sank him, his reputation and his position. If he comes back in "a month or two" like he says he'll be seen as a cowardly baby. If he comes back today or tomorrow or sooner he'll look like a weakling with no convictions. Have fun with that. Either way, I think he's done. How can he not be? He's obviously far too immature for this type of burden because he just can't take it anymore.

So good job for all of you who have been fascilitating this drama, you won. Mikal is ruined.

The presidency has been shown to be an overly important and vastly useless position.

Blade came out the real winner, hes the mod with real power and is not being driven from the site.

If you don't like drama, ignore it. If not, shut up about it. It's not going anywhere. I've been on this site for 3 years and rarely is there a week that goes by without some kind of drama. This drama is pretty harmless in comparison.

Finally, go about your lives. Mikal means very little to the site and greater members than him have left with little impact on the day to day running of the site. The presidency doesn't affect your time here. So get over it. Go back to your mafia and your debates and your forum friendships and move on.

Anyways, thats the rundown as I have seen it.

That makes sense. Thanks for explaining it. :)
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 1:15:42 PM

The fact that the site shrugs off the loss of great members is a serious problem. The site is worse for J.Kenyon and the other AnCaps leaving. But people applauded it at the time because it was a political victory since the AnCaps were pro-vigilante justice in the days prior to moderation, and they butted heads with the innomen faction. The site got a lot worse after they left since they were among the best contributors to the site at the time. The site may always have some top quality members around, like Danielle and Roy, who have been near-constant presences on here, albeit with bouts of more or less activity. But I think generally, you're going to lose activity or membership entirely of top users if you take the attitude that you really don't care who leaves because friendships will continue. This site isn't Facebook. It's a debate site. If you're willing to chase all the top debaters away over petty site politics, then it will no longer be a debate site. It will be nothing more than a poor excuse for a social networking site.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 1:18:53 PM
At 1/6/2015 1:15:42 PM, bluesteel wrote:

The fact that the site shrugs off the loss of great members is a serious problem. The site is worse for J.Kenyon and the other AnCaps leaving. But people applauded it at the time because it was a political victory since the AnCaps were pro-vigilante justice in the days prior to moderation, and they butted heads with the innomen faction. The site got a lot worse after they left since they were among the best contributors to the site at the time. The site may always have some top quality members around, like Danielle and Roy, who have been near-constant presences on here, albeit with bouts of more or less activity. But I think generally, you're going to lose activity or membership entirely of top users if you take the attitude that you really don't care who leaves because friendships will continue. This site isn't Facebook. It's a debate site. If you're willing to chase all the top debaters away over petty site politics, then it will no longer be a debate site. It will be nothing more than a poor excuse for a social networking site.

I didn't chase anyone away. I'm just saying that the site has survived as members come and go. We can't make people stay, we can't make people leave. They do that of their on volition. There are plenty of top quality debaters that have emerged after your beloved AnCaps left and more will come to fill the shoes of people like Mikal. It is a debate site but I'm not going to sit around and gnash my teeth and pine for members who have come and gone. That's stupid. What do you want me to do? Send Mikal a fruit basket? We already sent him hundreds of dollars. Want me to find Puck's address and send him love letters beseeching him to return to the site? They're gone. It's just reality.

And the debate quality of the site tanks when people whine and complain about RFDs and debate topics and threaten to leave if they lose debates.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 1:28:47 PM

I met Sieben years later on EM, lol. It was hilarious.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 1:31:48 PM
At 1/6/2015 1:28:47 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Lol really, hows he been doing? I think he was the only one that actually banned during all that, besides askbob but that was before that and for separate reasons.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 1:33:32 PM
At 1/6/2015 1:31:48 PM, jharry wrote:

Lol really, hows he been doing? I think he was the only one that actually banned during all that, besides askbob but that was before that and for separate reasons.

Whoa, long time since I've seen you too. I'm badger dude - remember me? And, uh, he wasn't too happy to see me, lol.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 1:37:47 PM
At 1/6/2015 1:33:32 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 1/6/2015 1:31:48 PM, jharry wrote:

Whoa, long time since I've seen you too. I'm badger dude - remember me? And, uh, he wasn't too happy to see me, lol.

Hahaha has been a while badger, like the new name though. I guess he wouldn't be, kinda thought he'd be over all that by now. Looks like I came back around at a good time, love a good chit storm lol.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 1:53:09 PM
At 1/6/2015 1:18:53 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

I didn't chase anyone away. I'm just saying that the site has survived as members come and go. We can't make people stay, we can't make people leave. They do that of their on volition. There are plenty of top quality debaters that have emerged after your beloved AnCaps left and more will come to fill the shoes of people like Mikal. It is a debate site but I'm not going to sit around and gnash my teeth and pine for members who have come and gone. That's stupid. What do you want me to do? Send Mikal a fruit basket? We already sent him hundreds of dollars. Want me to find Puck's address and send him love letters beseeching him to return to the site? They're gone. It's just reality.

And the debate quality of the site tanks when people whine and complain about RFDs and debate topics and threaten to leave if they lose debates.

This is more what I was implying (in regards to myself, not Mikal). There is a problem with the site as I see it. The site can choose how they respond to that. If everyone wants to call me a crybaby, then I'll probably peace out of here. Because I do have valid concerns, and the site doesn't seem to care.

And people like thett3, raisor, zaradi, and debatability will look to how the site reacts to me trying to raise these legitimate issues and will also be disheartened that the site doesn't care to learn how to write valid RFD's.

To the site's credit, there are some people on here who do care. I recently got a PM from a member asking for an explanation of impact calculus. But the attitude I feel I'm getting here is: whatever, you debaters can come and go. We don't care. We like the drama and screwing around in the forums. You're not a necessary on the site.

Which feels ironic, given the site's core feature.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:32:30 PM
At 1/6/2015 1:53:09 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 1/6/2015 1:18:53 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

This is more what I was implying (in regards to myself, not Mikal). There is a problem with the site as I see it. The site can choose how they respond to that. If everyone wants to call me a crybaby, then I'll probably peace out of here. Because I do have valid concerns, and the site doesn't seem to care.

And people like thett3, raisor, zaradi, and debatability will look to how the site reacts to me trying to raise these legitimate issues and will also be disheartened that the site doesn't care to learn how to write valid RFD's.

To the site's credit, there are some people on here who do care. I recently got a PM from a member asking for an explanation of impact calculus. But the attitude I feel I'm getting here is: whatever, you debaters can come and go. We don't care. We like the drama and screwing around in the forums. You're not a necessary on the site.

Which feels ironic, given the site's core feature.

I agree with this entirely. Though I don't do all that many debates, they are the central feature of the site. The forums were exciting places to discuss events and ideas because intelligent people were here in droves, and most intelligent people are here to have engaging debates. The forums are so stagnant now that it's sickening to me; the level of discourse, on an intellectual level, has really hit rock bottom. Society is just people bitching about feminism, religion is more filled with trolls and nutcases than ever, politics is rarely engaging, and philosophy is just dead, filled with silly general questions and milquetoast pontifications. There used to be a lot of people here with very interesting things to say; Wnope is a perfect example. Now there are very few people to engage with on such a serious level anymore because it's all so skin-deep, almost like the Q/A section of a beauty pageant.

The site may have kept puttering along, but it certainly has suffered from the loss of quality members, and it's about time that we recognize that and stop cavalierly antagonizing people. This doesn't mean sending lover letters, it means that the next time a significant portion of high-contribution members threaten to leave, listen to them instead of dismissing them, because you are dismissing what makes this site worth visiting.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 8:45:46 PM
This thread is stupid and I'm glad Grant left. He changed, and very much for the worse. I'm sorry to see Mikal go, but Grant will not be missed in the way that he went. Maybe if he changed his attitude to the way he was back when he did Drama Farm, where he was cheerful, a little weird but generally friendly. This tendency to be a complete dick he developed got old fast, and the site is better that he's not making things worse by posting stupid threads like this.
Tsar of DDO