Jump to topic:

The Value of DDO

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 12:48:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
DDO is an Internet site (shocker). But for this reason, people mistreat it. They say it doesn't matter. They say it isn't important. They call the bonds and friendships we form a lie or, at best, trivial.

DDO is a community. DDO is not merely some subpage on 4chan for homophobes and homosexuals to engage in hot and steamy exchanges.

The friendships and connections we form on this site are real. DDO is more genuine a community than many real world ones. This community brought bsh1 and YYW together. This community started a fundraiser to unite them. This community united to prevent Mikal from losing his home. This community has immeasurably helped many members, even preventing a few suicides. To call this a lie, to call the community trivial, is to deny reality, to insult the very efforts of those who strive to help others as well as the lives of those the community helped.

DDO is not unimportant. DDO is not trivial.

This is why the presidency - or any elected official - matters. It's not just a stupid popularity contest. It's the potential to legitimately bring about meaningful change. To make the community a better place for everybody.

Individual members do not have the legitimacy an elected representative does. Moderators do not have the obligation an elected representative does.

Abolishing the presidency is the worst decision DDO can make.

http://www.debate.org...
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 1:44:18 PM
"Individual members do not have the legitimacy an elected representative does. Moderators do not have the obligation an elected representative does."

Explain this.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 2:07:11 PM
I'm in favor of abolishing the presidency precisely because I think DDO matters. Are there any concrete examples you can point to that show the presidency producing any benefit whatsoever?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 2:15:33 PM
What does the presidency have to do with any of this? If anything, the presidency focuses attention on very certain, pretty much purely bullsh*t members, thus killing the site for everyone else. This is so dumb. There is no meaningful change; it's a year-round circle jerk in the Debate.org board. The presidency turns DDO into a retarded and stunted clique.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 2:15:51 PM
At 1/6/2015 1:44:18 PM, Subutai wrote:
"Individual members do not have the legitimacy an elected representative does. Moderators do not have the obligation an elected representative does."

Explain this.

Post on the Petition to Abolish the Presidency thread, please.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 2:23:45 PM
At first, the idea of electing someone to represent DDO's interests sounds wonderful. However, when you actually think about the kind of site DDO is, it becomes apparent that such a position is unnecessary and not worth the cost. We're a tight-nit group of debaters. We don't need someone to advocate for us when most of us are already capable of and willing to do that ourselves. It's not like our voices are being downed out by the masses. I think it's best to let the people speak for themselves, not pretend that a president can do it for them. We already have a thread dedicated to suggestions and many community-related threads. Juggle can look at those, or talk to Airmax (which they do anyway).
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:20:10 PM
At 1/6/2015 12:48:25 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
DDO is an Internet site (shocker). But for this reason, people mistreat it. They say it doesn't matter. They say it isn't important. They call the bonds and friendships we form a lie or, at best, trivial.

DDO is a community. DDO is not merely some subpage on 4chan for homophobes and homosexuals to engage in hot and steamy exchanges.

The friendships and connections we form on this site are real. DDO is more genuine a community than many real world ones. This community brought bsh1 and YYW together. This community started a fundraiser to unite them. This community united to prevent Mikal from losing his home. This community has immeasurably helped many members, even preventing a few suicides. To call this a lie, to call the community trivial, is to deny reality, to insult the very efforts of those who strive to help others as well as the lives of those the community helped.

DDO is not unimportant. DDO is not trivial.

This is why the presidency - or any elected official - matters. It's not just a stupid popularity contest. It's the potential to legitimately bring about meaningful change. To make the community a better place for everybody.

Individual members do not have the legitimacy an elected representative does. Moderators do not have the obligation an elected representative does.

Abolishing the presidency is the worst decision DDO can make.

http://www.debate.org...

+1
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 7:32:55 AM
At 1/6/2015 2:07:11 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
I'm in favor of abolishing the presidency precisely because I think DDO matters. Are there any concrete examples you can point to that show the presidency producing any benefit whatsoever?

I believe the section that begins with "this is why the presidency matters," deals with that. TUF, for instance, was great with his communications with Juggle.