Jump to topic:

Why Can't We Have Fanfics on the DDO Subforum

RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 7:26:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hardly anyone gives a fvck about fanfics nowadays except for Endark's OUAD (season two is out if you've missed it), but ever since we were all cooped up into the Entertainment forum, we hardly get any readers (because, well, who goes to the Entertainment forum if they have a life >.>).

Granted, fanfics are for entertainment, but they're centered around DDO. Furthermore, if fanfics should be in the Entertainment forum, shouldn't everything that's semi-related to DDO be put into other forums? Many people regard fanfics as spam since they don't want to read it, but there have been a sh1tload of threads about the presidency that were totally unnecessary, so that could be regarded as spam as well, or should be moved to the Politics section.

I thought of a compromise (that probably has been already thought of but I don't recall it being mentioned): Fanfic writers can put up a single subscription sign-ups thread so that most of the members don't have to deal with as much excess clutter, and the writers get more attention from the general populace. I was thinking if we could still keep the fanfic threads themselves in the entertainment forum, and we can PM the link to the subscribers.

If most of you are still annoyed at the waste of a few threads' worth of space, come on. We accumulate dozens of spambot threads, troll threads, misplaced threads, flame-war threads, and so much more crap every single day. I've had CP tell me that this is a bad mindset, but I think that in exchange for a "waste" of a thread, us loners in the Entertainment forum will be more than pleased.

Thoughts?

P.S. Of course, if four or five threads bug some of you, we can all pour the subscriptions into a single thread.

P.P.S. I guess this thread is a waste too. ;D
DarthKirones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 8:25:52 PM
Not a bad idea.
"I am not religious. I am a genius. I have the Universe in my hands."
-Aerogant

"Of course a jewish baby cannibalizing a jewish mommy is fine"
-Heil being retarded

"Eradicating the baby scourge from our midsts is most certainly fun. And I am proud to be your hero. Babies tremble then they hear my name.. Airmax, the hero of baby annihilation."
-Airmax
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 9:12:06 PM
At 1/6/2015 8:56:53 PM, RevNge wrote:
No one? Seriously?

Honestly, I don't see why anyone gives a quarter of a fvck about seeing one thread that is a fanfic on occasion...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 9:12:30 PM
At 1/6/2015 9:12:06 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
No one? Seriously?

Honestly, I don't see why anyone gives a quarter of a fvck about seeing one thread that is a fanfic on occasion...

CP does. XD
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 9:13:49 PM
At 1/6/2015 9:12:30 PM, RevNge wrote:
No one? Seriously?

CP does. XD

Don't be bullied into changing by one member. CP's opinion is irrelevant.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 9:14:24 PM
At 1/6/2015 9:13:49 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
No one? Seriously?

CP does. XD

Not just CP. If it were just one member, not all the fanfics would be stuck in the Entertainment forum.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 9:16:07 PM
At 1/6/2015 9:14:24 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 1/6/2015 9:13:49 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
No one? Seriously?

CP does. XD

Not just CP. If it were just one member, not all the fanfics would be stuck in the Entertainment forum.

How many members give a fvck about seeing threads? Five? Ten? Who gives a sh!t? Are you hurting everyone by making a thread in the DDO section for your fanfic? Post them in here.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 9:17:05 PM
There is no rule against it. Post away.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Clovis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 9:17:47 PM
This site has fanfiction? o.O
Words are wind.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 9:27:22 PM
Rev. Do what you want, until the Mods start warning you not to.
If you'd like, I can post them for you. I'd love to see people try to bully me.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:33:53 PM
Fanfics are fictional stories that have no real impact or connection on or with DDO as a whole. In the same way that a thread about Iraq shouldn't be in the ddo forum, neither should fanfics.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:53:19 PM
At 1/6/2015 10:33:53 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Fanfics are fictional stories that have no real impact or connection on or with DDO as a whole. In the same way that a thread about Iraq shouldn't be in the ddo forum, neither should fanfics.

Most stuff in the DDO forum has nothing to do with the site. Fanfics may be a type of entertainment, but they don't really hurt the integrity of the main forum, and most people don't care where they are. If they are on the main forum, and people don't like it, they'll just ignore them like we do with every topic and thread we aren't interested in.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:59:43 PM
At 1/6/2015 10:53:19 PM, donald.keller wrote:

Most stuff in the DDO forum has nothing to do with the site.

And most stuff in the DDO forum ought to be removed.

Fanfics may be a type of entertainment, but they don't really hurt the integrity of the main forum, and most people don't care where they are. If they are on the main forum, and people don't like it, they'll just ignore them like we do with every topic and thread we aren't interested in.

What's the point of having forum categories if anything can be put anywhere? Why not post everything in the DDO forum?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 11:08:40 PM
At 1/6/2015 10:59:43 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 1/6/2015 10:53:19 PM, donald.keller wrote:

Most stuff in the DDO forum has nothing to do with the site.

And most stuff in the DDO forum ought to be removed.

Not really. Being overly strict on rules when it's not helping much doesn't really benefit the site. If you bring out the hammer on every. single. case. that isn't really harming anything, you'll only make the site unbearable.

Fanfics may be a type of entertainment, but they don't really hurt the integrity of the main forum, and most people don't care where they are. If they are on the main forum, and people don't like it, they'll just ignore them like we do with every topic and thread we aren't interested in.

What's the point of having forum categories if anything can be put anywhere? Why not post everything in the DDO forum?

The point is to separate topics that are 100% need to be elsewhere (putting the Iraqi War into games, for example). This doesn't really apply to thread that are void of such a specific topic, like a Fanfic. Unlike a political thread, or an economic thread, fanfics are very general in topic, and don't really need a specific location.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 11:22:15 PM
At 1/6/2015 7:26:00 PM, RevNge wrote:
Hardly anyone gives a fvck about fanfics nowadays except for Endark's OUAD (season two is out if you've missed it), but ever since we were all cooped up into the Entertainment forum, we hardly get any readers (because, well, who goes to the Entertainment forum if they have a life >.>).

Granted, fanfics are for entertainment, but they're centered around DDO. Furthermore, if fanfics should be in the Entertainment forum, shouldn't everything that's semi-related to DDO be put into other forums? Many people regard fanfics as spam since they don't want to read it, but there have been a sh1tload of threads about the presidency that were totally unnecessary, so that could be regarded as spam as well, or should be moved to the Politics section.

I thought of a compromise (that probably has been already thought of but I don't recall it being mentioned): Fanfic writers can put up a single subscription sign-ups thread so that most of the members don't have to deal with as much excess clutter, and the writers get more attention from the general populace. I was thinking if we could still keep the fanfic threads themselves in the entertainment forum, and we can PM the link to the subscribers.

If most of you are still annoyed at the waste of a few threads' worth of space, come on. We accumulate dozens of spambot threads, troll threads, misplaced threads, flame-war threads, and so much more crap every single day. I've had CP tell me that this is a bad mindset, but I think that in exchange for a "waste" of a thread, us loners in the Entertainment forum will be more than pleased.

Thoughts?

P.S. Of course, if four or five threads bug some of you, we can all pour the subscriptions into a single thread.

P.P.S. I guess this thread is a waste too. ;D

Same reason why we can't have an environment and/or history category in the poll's section.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...