Jump to topic:

Sad realization..

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:33:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
A lot of the main DDO members from when I joined are leaving or just giving up on this site. It is almost like it is out with the old, in with the new.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:37:39 PM
At 1/6/2015 10:33:23 PM, SNP1 wrote:
A lot of the main DDO members from when I joined are leaving or just giving up on this site. It is almost like it is out with the old, in with the new.

It is a sad realization that only repeats. There are very few left from when I joined, and of my generation as well, and the first generation that came after us. But it is nice to see new members come up and that helps to keep us (me at least) young.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:38:43 PM
At 1/6/2015 10:37:39 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

It is a sad realization that only repeats. There are very few left from when I joined, and of my generation as well, and the first generation that came after us. But it is nice to see new members come up and that helps to keep us (me at least) young.

Wait... Ore... you were one of those mods... but I guess they decided "it is out with the old, in with the new."

Oldie :P
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:40:25 PM
At 1/6/2015 10:38:43 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Wait... Ore... you were one of those mods... but I guess they decided "it is out with the old, in with the new."

Naw, that was hibernation. I came back to a spring time of new members.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:41:40 PM
At 1/6/2015 10:40:25 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

http://www.pinterest.com...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:42:40 PM

Yes, but it is sad that those leaving are high quality, and there only seem to be a handful of newer members that have that same quality.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:42:48 PM
At 1/6/2015 10:41:40 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 1/6/2015 10:40:25 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

http://www.pinterest.com...

http://www.fluffybooru.org...
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:43:06 PM

It happens. A new wave of debaters comes around every 6 months or so. Back when I joined Roylatham and Massivedump were the most popular users around. Now Mikal, Esocial and probably some others (I haven't been on often as you can probably tell) are the most popular.
Ashton
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:43:55 PM
At 1/6/2015 10:42:40 PM, SNP1 wrote:

Yes, but it is sad that those leaving are high quality, and there only seem to be a handful of newer members that have that same quality.

True, but quality is built and developed. Mikal is a higher quality right now than he was on his first day. Same with Blue and nearly all other members. It will be the same with new members. They will grow.
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:49:21 PM

There is a website that I used to be active on (I go there occasionally) called the My Little Pony Wikia. My account name was UglyTurtle, and after 2 years I became a chat moderator. My account became 3 years old on 2 August 2014. Over those past three years I have seen many old users go and new years come. The new users became old users, and they too, left. What was the reason? Drama. Drama tears up communities, splits them into groups, mainly those who stay and those who go. One of the main reasons I came here was to escape Wikia drama, but I only found more drama here on DDO. Unfortunately, drama seems like a part of every community, something so engrained in communties it does not seem to go away, users go away, but the drama remains.
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:50:43 PM
At 1/6/2015 10:49:21 PM, That1User wrote:

There is a website that I used to be active on (I go there occasionally) called the My Little Pony Wikia. My account name was UglyTurtle, and after 2 years I became a chat moderator. My account became 3 years old on 2 August 2014. Over those past three years I have seen many old users go and new years come. The new users became old users, and they too, left. What was the reason? Drama. Drama tears up communities, splits them into groups, mainly those who stay and those who go. One of the main reasons I came here was to escape Wikia drama, but I only found more drama here on DDO. Unfortunately, drama seems like a part of every community, something so engrained in communties it does not seem to go away, users go away, but the drama remains.

A bigger brony than me? I never should have given up the banhammer.
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:51:59 PM
At 1/6/2015 10:50:43 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Lol, I gave up the ban hammer as well. (My account was deactivated so I lost my mod rights, most likely for the best though.)
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:52:32 PM

Quality increases over time. I am probably the best example. I am now a productive member, but just 2 years ago I was the drama. I was almost banned for multi accounting and breaking many rules. I wan't so sharp, either (http://www.debate.org...). But I turned my DDO life around and now I think I am kinda decent.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Valar_Dohaeris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:55:33 PM
At 1/6/2015 10:52:32 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Quality increases over time. I am probably the best example. I am now a productive member, but just 2 years ago I was the drama. I was almost banned for multi accounting and breaking many rules. I wan't so sharp, either (http://www.debate.org...). But I turned my DDO life around and now I think I am kinda decent.

you suck at life
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:56:21 PM

I've noticed this same trend too, the quality of a community tends to drop and then rise until it reaches its peak, until it drops and rises once again.
R13; Marcus Aurelius
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:58:05 PM
At 1/6/2015 10:55:33 PM, Valar_Dohaeris wrote:

you suck at life

m8 I will rek you m8. I would, but sadly I am on a d8 with my girlfriend. Go h8 somewhere else. Go r8 a movie or something loser. I bet you're always L8. I will lock you behind a g8. Leave before you are used as b8 on my fishing rod m8
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:58:19 PM
At 1/6/2015 10:51:59 PM, That1User wrote:

Lol, I gave up the ban hammer as well. (My account was deactivated so I lost my mod rights, most likely for the best though.)

It is kind of funny though, I was on the MLP Wikia in the other window when I read your post.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:59:21 PM
At 1/6/2015 10:58:05 PM, 16kadams wrote:

you suck at life

m8 I will rek you m8. I would, but sadly I am on a d8 with my girlfriend. Go h8 somewhere else. Go r8 a movie or something loser. I bet you're always L8. I will lock you behind a g8. Leave before you are used as b8 on my fishing rod m8

That post made me constip8ed.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:59:41 PM
At 1/6/2015 10:59:21 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 1/6/2015 10:58:05 PM, 16kadams wrote:

you suck at life

That post made me constip8ed.

rekt m8
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 11:00:26 PM
At 1/6/2015 10:58:19 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 1/6/2015 10:51:59 PM, That1User wrote:

It is kind of funny though, I was on the MLP Wikia in the other window when I read your post.

Haha. I recall being disliked because I was "the strict mod" Upon returning from a long hiatus, however, people embraced me back into the chat. I'm not allowed to go on there though, as it is (was) a huge distraction. DDO is my new distraction, but I can use the excuse of it being intellectual.
R13; Marcus Aurelius
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 11:02:41 PM

I'm obviously the best example. Want to fight?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush