Jump to topic:

I want whiteflame to be president

Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 2:10:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have nothing against Ore, but he has not been on actively for some time now. I know his job keeps him busy. For those wondering I've seen Ore, he is a guy.

Not to say he is not competent, but whiteflame is a really active member. He is also one of the most level headed, and calm people I know. In this colossal mess we need someone who can keep their cool at all times, and can manage the situation. We need mitigation, and whiteflame is best for that.

Also you may have noticed that whiteflame is one of the most avid voters of this site. As debatability pointed out, the President does not have much power, but s/he is a voice of the people. You would be hard pressed to find anyone better than Marc. I know him to be sweet, and cool.

He is also one of the best debaters on this site having beaten bsh1. This aside he also beat me. :P Haha. Twice. Ouch. :/

So I want to ask whiteflame to be president. I think he'd be the best choice right now.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 2:13:15 AM
I prefer presidents to be members with a lot of experience, and large exposure to all user on the site, over numeral years of activity.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 2:14:45 AM
At 1/7/2015 2:13:15 AM, Smithereens wrote:
I prefer presidents to be members with a lot of experience, and large exposure to all user on the site, over numeral years of activity.

So no one left on the site, basically.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 2:39:28 AM
At 1/7/2015 2:14:45 AM, Zaradi wrote:
I prefer presidents to be members with a lot of experience, and have large exposure to many users on the site, over numeral years of activity.

hoho, ok. F'xed.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 3:09:17 AM
At 1/7/2015 2:12:01 AM, Zaradi wrote:
He's also a mod, so he's not going to run.

airmax was mod and pres. So it can be done. Also whiteflame is not a mod mod, he is just a moderater of the religious forum
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 3:11:28 AM
At 1/7/2015 3:09:17 AM, Ajabi wrote:

airmax was mod and pres. So it can be done.

Airmax has made it very clear that the two positions should not be held by the same person. I don't see whiteflame running.

Also whiteflame is not a mod mod, he is just a moderater of the religious forum

So he's a mod...ok...
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 3:14:37 AM
At 1/7/2015 3:11:28 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Airmax has made it very clear that the two positions should not be held by the same person. I don't see whiteflame running.

So he's a mod...ok...

Hai, I'd rather he leave his mod duties for this. I think he'd make a great pres.
numberwang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 3:48:28 AM
At 1/7/2015 3:14:37 AM, Ajabi wrote:
At 1/7/2015 3:11:28 AM, Zaradi wrote:

So he's a mod...ok...

Hai, I'd rather he leave his mod duties for this. I think he'd make a great pres.

I think having a qualified person in a position to affect real change on the crappiest of ddo's forums is better than having that person in a position with no real power to do much of anything for the entire website.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 9:59:18 AM
Suffice it to say that I'm not interested in running for the presidency in this election, and will thus be continuing in my role as moderator. As such, while I appreciate the endorsement Ajabi, I'll have to decline to rise to the challenge in this instance.
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 10:08:02 AM
At 1/7/2015 2:14:45 AM, Zaradi wrote:

1 more post till you reach 12,000!
To all the people fighting a hard battle out there - life's giving you a pretty hard beating. There's no sugarcoating that, but there's no shadow that's free of light. When life sneers at you and asks, "Ready to go again?" - Raise your hand. Reach out to victory. Don't give in.

---Help Bsh and YYW see each other---
http://www.gofundme.com...
TheLastMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 10:24:13 AM
At 1/7/2015 2:10:10 AM, Ajabi wrote:
I have nothing against Ore, but he has not been on actively for some time now. I know his job keeps him busy. For those wondering I've seen Ore, he is a guy.

Not to say he is not competent, but whiteflame is a really active member. He is also one of the most level headed, and calm people I know. In this colossal mess we need someone who can keep their cool at all times, and can manage the situation. We need mitigation, and whiteflame is best for that.

Also you may have noticed that whiteflame is one of the most avid voters of this site. As debatability pointed out, the President does not have much power, but s/he is a voice of the people. You would be hard pressed to find anyone better than Marc. I know him to be sweet, and cool.

He is also one of the best debaters on this site having beaten bsh1. This aside he also beat me. :P Haha. Twice. Ouch. :/

So I want to ask whiteflame to be president. I think he'd be the best choice right now.

I approve.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 10:43:10 AM
I'll vote for whoever is against profanity in all forms. "Hell" is the name of a specific place. When used lightly and loosely in phrases such as "who in the hell says Hell is real", "hell' is being used as a profanity. If I say to you that you are in danger of burning in Hell, that is a warning based on my concern for you. I don't want anybody to burn in Hell and neither does God. God wants you to have eternal life, and made the way for you to be reunited with Him in eternal life by taking your death penalty on Himself as the Son of God, and rising from the dead offering forgiveness to all who believe on His resurrection and recieve Him personally as their Saviour. He lives in all who open their heart's door to Him and invite Him in, and He gives eternal life to all who call on God in His nane to save them from Hell. Will you be saved? Why not admit that you deserve to die and burn in Hell and repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and ask God in His name to save you from Hell? He wants to save you from Hell and will if you will only trust Him.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 12:05:36 PM
At 1/7/2015 10:43:10 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
I'll vote for whoever is against profanity in all forms. "Hell" is the name of a specific place. When used lightly and loosely in phrases such as "who in the hell says Hell is real", "hell' is being used as a profanity. If I say to you that you are in danger of burning in Hell, that is a warning based on my concern for you. I don't want anybody to burn in Hell and neither does God. God wants you to have eternal life, and made the way for you to be reunited with Him in eternal life by taking your death penalty on Himself as the Son of God, and rising from the dead offering forgiveness to all who believe on His resurrection and recieve Him personally as their Saviour. He lives in all who open their heart's door to Him and invite Him in, and He gives eternal life to all who call on God in His nane to save them from Hell. Will you be saved? Why not admit that you deserve to die and burn in Hell and repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and ask God in His name to save you from Hell? He wants to save you from Hell and will if you will only trust Him.

What is the danger in using profanities? I've always wondered why "curse words" are considered "curse words" in the first place. Isn't it up to us to place value on terms anyways? So, ultimately, curse words only hold a subjective power over those who accept them as such. It often reminds me of the southpark episode where the excessive use of a curse word actually brought a curse upon the people. Hilarious episode actually!!
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 12:24:32 PM
At 1/7/2015 12:05:36 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

What is the danger in using profanities? I've always wondered why "curse words" are considered "curse words" in the first place. Isn't it up to us to place value on terms anyways? So, ultimately, curse words only hold a subjective power over those who accept them as such. It often reminds me of the southpark episode where the excessive use of a curse word actually brought a curse upon the people. Hilarious episode actually!!

I dislike profanity because those are not words I personally would like to repeat. They often have mature, sexual meanings that make me kinda uncomfortable and they are often disgusting, and in my mind, they sound incredibly vulgar. However, I do realize this is personal preference and such words are widely accepted, so I try hard not to look down on those people who decide to employ such language. But the less there is, the better, in my opinion anyway. Hope this helps a bit! :)
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 12:27:37 PM
At 1/7/2015 12:24:32 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

I dislike profanity because those are not words I personally would like to repeat. They often have mature, sexual meanings that make me kinda uncomfortable and they are often disgusting, and in my mind, they sound incredibly vulgar. However, I do realize this is personal preference and such words are widely accepted, so I try hard not to look down on those people who decide to employ such language. But the less there is, the better, in my opinion anyway. Hope this helps a bit! :)

I totally understand where you're coming from. I think alot of people would agree with you and your view. For me, I'm just more curious on the historicity of it all. I want to know who first deemed such words as curse words and their reasoning for doing so. It's a curse of my extremely curious mind, lol.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 12:57:27 PM
At 1/7/2015 12:27:37 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I totally understand where you're coming from. I think alot of people would agree with you and your view. For me, I'm just more curious on the historicity of it all. I want to know who first deemed such words as curse words and their reasoning for doing so. It's a curse of my extremely curious mind, lol.

Well, for centuries, such topics were hush-hush, but I think it was mostly derived from the Jewish fear of blaspheming God, which was punishable by death, and was considered to be one of the highest sins.

But then again, I might be mistaken.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 5:06:58 PM

To start with it's against TOS. It's a form of harassment. When you use profanities, you are subjecting the listener to abuse by pretending like your words have power and the subject that has to listen to them is expected to acknowledge how powerful you sound. Swearing is the attempt of a weak mind to express itself forcefully. Did your mother cuss like a sailor? Did she teach you any good manners at all?
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 5:12:01 PM

I'm sorry, once again I read a post too fast and assumed it was another insult/personal attack post. I read it again and saw it was only conversational. Sorry for going off a bit with my reply. I thought you were defending cursing untill I read a second time.

The history of curse words is not worth understanding. I know some of them, the sources of curse words, the historical base....I used to cuss a lot and had the same curiousity and found logical explainations of how the words were developed. It's not worth knowing. It's simply poor manners and disrespectful to use profanities in conversation. It is considered as a form of harassment and can be held agaisnt people in a court of law on that basis.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 5:24:00 PM
At 1/7/2015 5:06:58 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:

To start with it's against TOS. It's a form of harassment. When you use profanities, you are subjecting the listener to abuse by pretending like your words have power and the subject that has to listen to them is expected to acknowledge how powerful you sound. Swearing is the attempt of a weak mind to express itself forcefully. Did your mother cuss like a sailor? Did she teach you any good manners at all?

No, my mom used to make me pay her a dollar everytime I said a curse word. So I broke the habit fast while in her presence, or any ladies' presence really. But we're two male adults here, I see no reason to act like words that some people deem as "curse words" are really anything more than the subjective values we place on them. My whole point was who first deemed them as curse words and why? Like, you call them profanities. Okay, but why? What is so different from those words compared to others? Aren't they subject to the same subjective values and contextual applications as any other word? For instance, the term "Bitch" can be referring to a female dog. I think if anything it reflects the importance of intentions.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 5:25:18 PM
At 1/7/2015 5:12:01 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:

I'm sorry, once again I read a post too fast and assumed it was another insult/personal attack post. I read it again and saw it was only conversational. Sorry for going off a bit with my reply. I thought you were defending cursing untill I read a second time.

The history of curse words is not worth understanding. I know some of them, the sources of curse words, the historical base....I used to cuss a lot and had the same curiousity and found logical explainations of how the words were developed. It's not worth knowing. It's simply poor manners and disrespectful to use profanities in conversation. It is considered as a form of harassment and can be held agaisnt people in a court of law on that basis.

Lol, I was wondering why it turned combative out of nowhere haha. It's all good. You basically answered half of my response as well. Cheers :)
Iphigenia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 8:14:50 AM
At 1/7/2015 5:24:00 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/7/2015 5:06:58 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:

No, my mom used to make me pay her a dollar everytime I said a curse word. So I broke the habit fast while in her presence, or any ladies' presence really. But we're two male adults here, I see no reason to act like words that some people deem as "curse words" are really anything more than the subjective values we place on them. My whole point was who first deemed them as curse words and why? Like, you call them profanities. Okay, but why? What is so different from those words compared to others? Aren't they subject to the same subjective values and contextual applications as any other word? For instance, the term "Bitch" can be referring to a female dog. I think if anything it reflects the importance of intentions.

Wait... are you talking about only words like "bitch"? Or also, using God's name in vain and stuff. I'm pretty sure the history is different.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 11:20:48 AM
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 12:08:00 PM
At 1/9/2015 11:20:48 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

OMG... Thank you! Mystery solved. I can't believe I didn't think of looking at Vsauce, that guy answers everything so well.