Jump to topic:

About that "drama" thing...

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 1:02:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Truth is, drama can be harnessed and used for good on the site. It can be managed and provide a certain unity within different members. There can be a recruitment in working together in finding solutions through the site, and with the site members and it often has an ultimately positive effect on how people feel about DDO.

I speak from experience when I say this, and believe that it can be done again if there is a greater maturity in a core group of reliable members.

The truth about the presidency is, it can be a nothing irrelevant position, or it can be a meaningful one that actually has some power in making the place better. Again, I speak from experience. If a president is unfocused or is in it for their ego, well then you will have a meaningless president, but if you have someone who is active, with a clear sense of what he or she wants for the site, then the president will have meaning. For many it is a popularity contest, which is really sad, and points to the election of a people pleasing sycophant.

It all depends on what you want, and what you think a single person can bring to the site, its people and its culture.

innomen
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 1:14:54 PM
Innomen for President!! Wait, I just got this deja vu sensation...

In all seriousness, I absolutely agree. Additionally, I believe the Presidency here only has as much power as the people give it. If the president is well-respected, popular, driven to succeed, and liked by the many, it's likely going to be a strong and productive term. We saw the other extreme recently, and hopefully this upcoming recall election will allow for someone who meets those positive standards to fill the position. So far, Ore_Ele and Debatability are the most solid choice. I believe they'll do this site some good.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 1:17:41 PM
While I laud general pro-activity, I think it shouldn't encompass more than what the user personally would like to do.
Since the presidency started as something fun, I think it should be fine for it to return to its origins. Whether there is meaning in the DDO presidency is up to subjective interpretation, but an unfocused presidency might be nice for a change.

^Self endorsement. :)
Senpai has noticed you.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 1:20:35 PM
At 1/7/2015 1:17:41 PM, Beginner wrote:
While I laud general pro-activity, I think it shouldn't encompass more than what the user personally would like to do.
Since the presidency started as something fun, I think it should be fine for it to return to its origins. Whether there is meaning in the DDO presidency is up to subjective interpretation, but an unfocused presidency might be nice for a change.

^Self endorsement. :)

Sorry, but no. There are objective measurements one can use on the effectiveness and relevance of any given president. As your name implies, you really aren't able to see the scope of different presidents and what they have done or not done.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 1:33:16 PM
At 1/7/2015 1:20:35 PM, innomen wrote:
Sorry, but no. There are objective measurements one can use on the effectiveness and relevance of any given president. As your name implies, you really aren't able to see the scope of different presidents and what they have done or not done.

I know you were key to establishing the productive norm that is now the DDO presidency, and I respect that. I am simply expanding what the norm can and should encompass.
I don't mean to trivialize the accomplishments of past presidencies. Again, I generally laud pro-activity, but there really is no need to entrench ourselves in such embittering politics. I'm not saying that the presidency should be nothing more than a ceremonial position, but that we shouldn't have a problem with letting it.

What's in a name? <3
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 1:33:52 PM
At 1/7/2015 1:32:44 PM, Bullish wrote:
I agree with innomen.

You are entitled to. :)
Senpai has noticed you.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 3:17:03 PM
I wish you'd stay...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 8:12:02 PM
At 1/7/2015 1:02:09 PM, innomen wrote:
Truth is, drama can be harnessed and used for good on the site. It can be managed and provide a certain unity within different members. There can be a recruitment in working together in finding solutions through the site, and with the site members and it often has an ultimately positive effect on how people feel about DDO.

I speak from experience when I say this, and believe that it can be done again if there is a greater maturity in a core group of reliable members.

The truth about the presidency is, it can be a nothing irrelevant position, or it can be a meaningful one that actually has some power in making the place better. Again, I speak from experience. If a president is unfocused or is in it for their ego, well then you will have a meaningless president, but if you have someone who is active, with a clear sense of what he or she wants for the site, then the president will have meaning. For many it is a popularity contest, which is really sad, and points to the election of a people pleasing sycophant.

It all depends on what you want, and what you think a single person can bring to the site, its people and its culture.

innomen

Glad to see a post from you, even if your return is only temporary.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 2:30:55 AM
At 1/7/2015 8:12:02 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 1/7/2015 1:02:09 PM, innomen wrote:

innomen

Glad to see a post from you, even if your return is only temporary.

Thanks Blue, good to see you here too.