Jump to topic:

Devil's advocate tournament.

LayersofLols
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 10:58:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This tournament is not as simple as you may think. you cannot win by faking which side of a debate you believe and then pretending to DA it. Oh no!

Here is how it works, you sign up and I used a randomizer to pair you with someone on the list (doesn't matter where you put your name on the list, you can't control who your opponent will be). i can put a 5k against a 23k elo if it so happens to be.

Each round every person will debate on both sides of the debate. Judge voting is strictly prohibited as this will be an open voting tournament and I am ethically opposed to what the judge system stands for. It must also be the 7-point system, not the 'winner takes all' mentality one.

How this works is every round is three topics, each topic requires you to take both sides of it. The topic will always be politically well known or philosophically simplistic so as to cater for everyone.

Winning a debate is 3 points, tying is 1 and losing is -1.

At the end of round 1 the bottom 10% of candidates (however many there are to begin with) get kicked off and we move onto round 2. All 6 debates will be against a different opponent.

The debating rounds must be 72 hours and max length must be 8k or 10k depending on what you and your opponent agree.

Please pm me or post here to sign up, feel free to add and enquire. The debate topics shall remain secret and be revealed to opponents on the day. I shall be revealing ALL 3 topics and all size opponents in one go but your job is finish your debates by the end of the month. If you refuse to accept a debate, you receive the -1 for a loss and your former opponent gets a new opponent but you do not.
Just before you die will you remember a life of your smile changing the world or of the world changing your smile?
LayersofLols
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 10:59:18 PM
At 1/8/2015 10:58:03 PM, LayersofLols wrote:
When the total number of players left gets below 7, I lower the topic number. when the total gets to 3 or less, I have a surprise.
Just before you die will you remember a life of your smile changing the world or of the world changing your smile?
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 11:16:00 PM
At 1/8/2015 10:58:03 PM, LayersofLols wrote:
Each round every person will debate on both sides of the debate.
How does that work? Argue a side, swap and let the opponent take over from your previous arguments and vice verse?
How this works is every round is three topics, each topic requires you to take both sides of it.
Can you clarify this a bit more? So every round is three topics and we establish Pro AND Con arguments for each of these positions in a single round, move on to the next round and swap to Con and Pro?
Round as in, an entire set of rounds of debate = 1 round?

Winning a debate is 3 points, tying is 1 and losing is -1.

At the end of round 1 the bottom 10% of candidates (however many there are to begin with) get kicked off and we move onto round 2. All 6 debates will be against a different opponent.

The debating rounds must be 72 hours and max length must be 8k or 10k depending on what you and your opponent agree.

Please pm me or post here to sign up, feel free to add and enquire. The debate topics shall remain secret and be revealed to opponents on the day. I shall be revealing ALL 3 topics and all size opponents in one go but your job is finish your debates by the end of the month. If you refuse to accept a debate, you receive the -1 for a loss and your former opponent gets a new opponent but you do not.
Senpai has noticed you.