Jump to topic:

== Zaradi's Prized Debate Tournament ==

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 3:52:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to Zaradi's Prized Debate Tournament! Enter for a chance to get a piece of a cash prize pool that's over $100! You heard that right, ladies and gents! Over $100 is up for grabs in this tournament for the lucky winners!

Set-Up

Depending on the number of interested debaters, the tournament structure itself will be a little different. Here's how it will work:

3-5 debaters --> In the event only three to five debaters are interested in competing, the tournament will be a round-robin tournament, where each debater will face every other debater in a preliminary series. The top two debaters will square off in a battle for first place, and the third and fourth ranked debaters will square off for third place, provided enough are interested to do so.

6+ debaters --> In the event more than six debaters are interested in competing (which I hope will be the case), the tournament structure will be a simple, single-elimination bracket. Placement in the bracket will be seeded by ELO in a high-low matchup, meaning the person with the highest elo will be matched up against the person with the lowest elo, the second highest against the second lowest, and so on and so forth.

Topics of Discussion:

Some of you may be asking: "But Zaradi! What are we going to debate in this tournament?"

The answer? Whatever the f*ck you want! That's right kids, you'll be choosing your own topics here! Of course, there's a few minor caveats that I want to add to that, so hold your horses.

Rule number one to this is no intentionally trollish topics. Whether you're seriously debating gun control policy, god's existence, or video game theory, so long as the topic is serious, I'm okay with it!

Rule number two is that we're kind of on a time crunch here. Let's not be taking fifty thousand years to debate the minute details to the wording of a resolution here boys. Upon the posting of the matches, debaters have three (3) days rounded up to the next day to decide on a topic. That means if the matchups are released on the 11th at 4pm DDO time, the resolution must be decided by the 14th at 11:59pm DDO time. That should be plenty of time to get in touch with your opponent and decide on something to debate! In the event a resolution is not decided on by the deadline, I will assign you a topic from a pool of topics and assign both of you to a side. Potential topics can be found here (https://docs.google.com...). You're also free to pull from the list if you find something interesting in there.

Another question you might be asking is: "Zaradi, how are we going to actually set up the debates?"

The answer? I don't f*cking care! That's right kiddos, you're free to set your debates up however you want to, and over any medium you want to (this includes live debating as an option)! Of course, there's also a few caveats to this that I must include.

Rule number one is that it must be able to be voted on in a DDO debate. Meaning that if you plan on doing a live debate, that the video must be posted within a DDO debate for voting purposes.

Rule number two is that if you plan on doing a text debate, it must at least be four rounds long, provided that the first is acceptance of some sort. The character limit must also be at least 8k.

Prize Pool:

Now for the fun talk, the prizes for the winners! Yes kiddos, your gracious master, Zaradi, is digging deep this time around and offering out some hefty cash prizes for the winners here! Assuming we have enough debaters competing for a top three ranking, this is the breakdown of possible prizes!

First place - $50 !!!!
Second place - $35
Third place - $20

Prize collection can either be done via snail-mail or paypal. If you live outside of the US, feel free to contact me privately so that something can be arranged: not living in the US shouldn't be a determining factor in you going for the prize!

Voting Pool:

I'm glad to be able to announce that The Supreme Council of Determination has pledged their support to this tournament. Their votes will be much appreciated in making sure that each debate receives the proper attention that it deserves. However, I want more. I'm looking for volunteers who are willing to dedicate their time to voting on debates in the tournament. Voters who volunteer should be willing to:

- Vote on at least two (2) debates in the first round of the tournament.
- Vote on at least one (1) debate in the second round.

Once those requirements are fulfilled, voters are free to vote on as many or as few extra debates as they so desire. However, the more the better! Why the more the better? Because there's prizes for you voters as well! There's two voting awards I'll be handing out in this tournament:

Most Votes - The voter who places the most votes on tournament debates will receive $10 for their time and efforts.
Best Vote - After each debate the debaters will vote on which vote on their debate was the best vote from their opinions (ties will be broken by myself). At the end of the tournament, the votes selected as the best from each debate will be put up for public voting. The voter who's vote is selected as the best will receive $15!

All members of the Supreme Council of Determination are automatically eligible for prizes. Non-members can become eligible for prizes by registering as a voter via PMing me. THIS MEANS IF YOU WANT TO BE A VOTER FOR THE TOURNAMENT, PM ME, DO NOT POST YOUR DESIRE TO DO SO IN THIS THREAD. I will keep an updated list of approved independent voters in this thread. I reserve the right to reject a voter from being an eligible voter for prizes for any reason. All votes submitted to debates from this tournament will be subject to my personal review as well as moderator review.

Debater Sign-Ups:

If you are interested in debating, post your username to the list below. You must be willing to potentially devote a month or two to researching and debating in this tournament. I reserve the right to reject a debater for any reason (though the probability that I will do this is slim). If the list is full when you arrive at it, add another slot and keep adding your name. The more the merrier!

Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 5:43:05 AM
At 1/9/2015 3:52:26 AM, Zaradi wrote:
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to Zaradi's Prized Debate Tournament! Enter for a chance to get a piece of a cash prize pool that's over $100! You heard that right, ladies and gents! Over $100 is up for grabs in this tournament for the lucky winners!

Set-Up

Depending on the number of interested debaters, the tournament structure itself will be a little different. Here's how it will work:

3-5 debaters --> In the event only three to five debaters are interested in competing, the tournament will be a round-robin tournament, where each debater will face every other debater in a preliminary series. The top two debaters will square off in a battle for first place, and the third and fourth ranked debaters will square off for third place, provided enough are interested to do so.

6+ debaters --> In the event more than six debaters are interested in competing (which I hope will be the case), the tournament structure will be a simple, single-elimination bracket. Placement in the bracket will be seeded by ELO in a high-low matchup, meaning the person with the highest elo will be matched up against the person with the lowest elo, the second highest against the second lowest, and so on and so forth.

Topics of Discussion:

Some of you may be asking: "But Zaradi! What are we going to debate in this tournament?"

The answer? Whatever the f*ck you want! That's right kids, you'll be choosing your own topics here! Of course, there's a few minor caveats that I want to add to that, so hold your horses.

Rule number one to this is no intentionally trollish topics. Whether you're seriously debating gun control policy, god's existence, or video game theory, so long as the topic is serious, I'm okay with it!

Rule number two is that we're kind of on a time crunch here. Let's not be taking fifty thousand years to debate the minute details to the wording of a resolution here boys. Upon the posting of the matches, debaters have three (3) days rounded up to the next day to decide on a topic. That means if the matchups are released on the 11th at 4pm DDO time, the resolution must be decided by the 14th at 11:59pm DDO time. That should be plenty of time to get in touch with your opponent and decide on something to debate! In the event a resolution is not decided on by the deadline, I will assign you a topic from a pool of topics and assign both of you to a side. Potential topics can be found here (https://docs.google.com...). You're also free to pull from the list if you find something interesting in there.

Another question you might be asking is: "Zaradi, how are we going to actually set up the debates?"

The answer? I don't f*cking care! That's right kiddos, you're free to set your debates up however you want to, and over any medium you want to (this includes live debating as an option)! Of course, there's also a few caveats to this that I must include.

Rule number one is that it must be able to be voted on in a DDO debate. Meaning that if you plan on doing a live debate, that the video must be posted within a DDO debate for voting purposes.

Rule number two is that if you plan on doing a text debate, it must at least be four rounds long, provided that the first is acceptance of some sort. The character limit must also be at least 8k.

Prize Pool:

Now for the fun talk, the prizes for the winners! Yes kiddos, your gracious master, Zaradi, is digging deep this time around and offering out some hefty cash prizes for the winners here! Assuming we have enough debaters competing for a top three ranking, this is the breakdown of possible prizes!

First place - $50 !!!!
Second place - $35
Third place - $20

Prize collection can either be done via snail-mail or paypal. If you live outside of the US, feel free to contact me privately so that something can be arranged: not living in the US shouldn't be a determining factor in you going for the prize!

Voting Pool:

I'm glad to be able to announce that The Supreme Council of Determination has pledged their support to this tournament. Their votes will be much appreciated in making sure that each debate receives the proper attention that it deserves. However, I want more. I'm looking for volunteers who are willing to dedicate their time to voting on debates in the tournament. Voters who volunteer should be willing to:

Once those requirements are fulfilled, voters are free to vote on as many or as few extra debates as they so desire. However, the more the better! Why the more the better? Because there's prizes for you voters as well! There's two voting awards I'll be handing out in this tournament:

Most Votes - The voter who places the most votes on tournament debates will receive $10 for their time and efforts.
Best Vote - After each debate the debaters will vote on which vote on their debate was the best vote from their opinions (ties will be broken by myself). At the end of the tournament, the votes selected as the best from each debate will be put up for public voting. The voter who's vote is selected as the best will receive $15!

All members of the Supreme Council of Determination are automatically eligible for prizes. Non-members can become eligible for prizes by registering as a voter via PMing me. THIS MEANS IF YOU WANT TO BE A VOTER FOR THE TOURNAMENT, PM ME, DO NOT POST YOUR DESIRE TO DO SO IN THIS THREAD. I will keep an updated list of approved independent voters in this thread. I reserve the right to reject a voter from being an eligible voter for prizes for any reason. All votes submitted to debates from this tournament will be subject to my personal review as well as moderator review.

Debater Sign-Ups:

If you are interested in debating, post your username to the list below. You must be willing to potentially devote a month or two to researching and debating in this tournament. I reserve the right to reject a debater for any reason (though the probability that I will do this is slim). If the list is full when you arrive at it, add another slot and keep adding your name. The more the merrier!

1. Ajab
BLAHthedebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 6:05:51 AM
At 1/9/2015 3:52:26 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Set-Up

Topics of Discussion:

Prize Pool:

First place - $50 !!!!
Second place - $35
Third place - $20

Voting Pool:

Debater Sign-Ups:

I'm interested, but I'm not up for the money... I'm fourteen and I'm probably not permitted to earn random cash prizes
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas...
Is...
Youuuuuu
BLAHthedebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 6:26:41 AM
At 1/9/2015 6:19:31 AM, Ajabi wrote:
At 1/9/2015 6:10:07 AM, TN05 wrote:
Count me in as a debater.

This should be fun. *raises sword*

*Slaps Ajab to make him behave*
Make my wish come true
Is...
Youuuuuu
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 6:29:47 AM
At 1/9/2015 6:26:41 AM, BLAHthedebator wrote:

Attack a member of the elite? Ha! Lets see how you survive boy.
BLAHthedebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 6:32:35 AM
At 1/9/2015 6:29:47 AM, Ajabi wrote:
At 1/9/2015 6:26:41 AM, BLAHthedebator wrote:

Attack a member of the elite? Ha! Lets see how you survive boy.

*Survives*
*Calls 911 when Ajab collapses from heart attack*
Make my wish come true
Is...
Youuuuuu
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 8:37:04 AM
In
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 8:45:20 AM
I'll join if I can send the money to someone of my choosing rather than receiving it myself...assuming, of course, that I finish in the top three.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 9:00:43 AM

*raises lightsaber*
Valkrin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 9:06:14 AM
I'd be interested but I really only prefer video game stuff, so yeah :P
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." - Vaarka
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 11:15:42 AM
At 1/9/2015 8:45:20 AM, bsh1 wrote:
I'll join if I can send the money to someone of my choosing rather than receiving it myself...assuming, of course, that I finish in the top three.

Such confidence, such wow. :o
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 1:39:21 PM
Debater Sign-Ups:

1. Ajab
8. Beginner
Senpai has noticed you.
Geographia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 1:42:20 PM
At 1/9/2015 1:39:21 PM, Beginner wrote:
Debater Sign-Ups:

1. Ajab
5. Geo
8. Beginner
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 5:43:11 PM
Debaters:

1. Ajabi
2. BLAHthedebator
3. TN05
4. imabench
5. bsh1
6. Valkrin
7. Beginner
8. Geographia
9. Wylted

This officially confirms, since there are (far) more than five entries that the tournemt will be a single-elimination bracket. Sign-ups will close at 11:59 pm DDO time on January 11th (this Sunday).
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 5:43:59 PM

I mean...I don't see a problem with it but not really sure why you'd want to. Then again, your money your decision.
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 5:50:47 PM
At 1/9/2015 5:43:11 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Debaters:

1. Ajabi
2. BLAHthedebator
3. TN05
4. imabench
5. bsh1
6. Valkrin
7. Beginner
8. Geographia
9. Wylted

This officially confirms, since there are (far) more than five entries that the tournemt will be a single-elimination bracket. Sign-ups will close at 11:59 pm DDO time on January 11th (this Sunday).

Can I judge?
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 6:03:57 PM
At 1/9/2015 5:43:59 PM, Zaradi wrote:

I mean...I don't see a problem with it but not really sure why you'd want to. Then again, your money your decision.

Sweet. Gracias :)

Then I am definitely in.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 6:05:43 PM
At 1/9/2015 11:15:42 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Confidence is sexy. YYW says I am sexy, so I must be confident.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 6:08:34 PM
*Lights $50 on fire*
Come to me when you have a better prize.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 6:13:33 PM
At 1/9/2015 6:05:43 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Show us then lol
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 6:15:24 PM
At 1/9/2015 6:13:33 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Show us then lol

Annie, you already know we can steam up the forums ;)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 6:17:06 PM
At 1/9/2015 6:15:24 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Show us then lol

I meant to show us your sexiness. rofl ;)
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 6:17:54 PM
At 1/9/2015 6:17:06 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Show us then lol

When I show people what I look like, YYW will have the right to see first.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 6:19:52 PM
At 1/9/2015 6:17:54 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Show us then lol

it could be like the big ddo reveal, with yyw orchestrating the dramatic music
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 6:20:51 PM
At 1/9/2015 6:17:54 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Show us then lol

Fair enough
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY