Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

Something I Have Noticed On This Site...

Clovis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 9:05:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Almost every single time I post something it is immidiately mischaracterized, taken out of context or blatantly strawmanned.

For example I recently made a claim that I feel that man is not equipped to judge God as we are not equals with Him in many areas I feel we need to be in order for rational judgement to follow. Immidiately my statement was changed to "You said we can't know God". Which is absolutley not what I said.

This happens probably 75% of the time. Either people do not read properly or they purposefully misconstrue everything they read to better suit their position. It is already tiresome and makes me doubt that anyone on this site is actually engaging their mental facilities while replying to posts...

Furthermore this is what leads to anger, drama and flamewars because people get bogged down in blatant misrepresentations of what was said which leads to pointless arguments when all it takes is a simple clarification and rereading of what was said.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Words are wind.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 9:07:48 AM
Yeah that all tends to hapen in the religious forum all the time, it's the reason why most people on DDO are content with having that forum simply get nukedout of orbit.... Have you spent time in other forums? It'll probably still happen, but I can safely say it will be on a far lesser scale
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Clovis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 9:18:24 AM
At 1/12/2015 9:07:48 AM, imabench wrote:
Yeah that all tends to hapen in the religious forum all the time, it's the reason why most people on DDO are content with having that forum simply get nukedout of orbit.... Have you spent time in other forums? It'll probably still happen, but I can safely say it will be on a far lesser scale

It happens in the other forums as well though it does more frequently occur in the religious discussion.

Another thing I have noticed is that there is no bend, give or take in discussions. When I am shown to be wrong or ignorant on a definition or statement I do not mind being corrected, in fact I appreciate it highly. But most people aren't here to have their views questioned, corrected or to even offer a give or take, they are here to beat their chest and prove you wrong.

Getting hostile and calling people stupid or just saying things are wrong is no way to have a discussion. Yet that's what most posts degrade to and I'm not sure why.

I hate to leave a Bible verse here but it is so fitting.

"Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but whoever hates correction is stupid." - Proverbs 12:1

Those who truly want to learn and expand their thinking should welcome (polite respectful) rebukes and corrections. Even if you don't agree with the rebuke they can still teach you something.

I do want to say that Envisage is one of the members I have encountered who rebukes in a manner that I appreciate and approve of. The spirit of learning seems to not be present here as much as I thought it would be.
Words are wind.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 9:22:46 AM
At 1/12/2015 9:05:13 AM, Clovis wrote:
Almost every single time I post something it is immidiately mischaracterized, taken out of context or blatantly strawmanned.

For example I recently made a claim that I feel that man is not equipped to judge God as we are not equals with Him in many areas I feel we need to be in order for rational judgement to follow. Immidiately my statement was changed to "You said we can't know God". Which is absolutley not what I said.

This happens probably 75% of the time. Either people do not read properly or they purposefully misconstrue everything they read to better suit their position. It is already tiresome and makes me doubt that anyone on this site is actually engaging their mental facilities while replying to posts...

Furthermore this is what leads to anger, drama and flamewars because people get bogged down in blatant misrepresentations of what was said which leads to pointless arguments when all it takes is a simple clarification and rereading of what was said.

If you observe many people carefully, they just want to be argumentative if you take a contrary position to theirs. They have no interest in what you have to say. They just have an interest in being "right."
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
Clovis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 9:24:45 AM
At 1/12/2015 9:22:46 AM, DarthVitiosus wrote:

If you observe many people carefully, they just want to be argumentative if you take a contrary position to theirs. They have no interest in what you have to say. They just have an interest in being "right."

Yes I just mentioned that in the above post. This is sad as simply wanting to affirm your own beliefs or be a stalwart is contrary to an attitude of learning. I would argue that one of the sole purposes or primary purposes of debate is to learn.
Words are wind.

KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 9:25:36 AM

Yes, I have. People do not respond to what is said or asked, but what is perceived.
I've noticed this occurs most when emotions are involved, which is generally when the issue at hand is personal.
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 9:34:35 AM
At 1/12/2015 9:24:45 AM, Clovis wrote:
At 1/12/2015 9:22:46 AM, DarthVitiosus wrote:

Yes I just mentioned that in the above post. This is sad as simply wanting to affirm your own beliefs or be a stalwart is contrary to an attitude of learning. I would argue that one of the sole purposes or primary purposes of debate is to learn.

Yep, I couldn't disagree. My page is the best example I know.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 12:16:17 PM

Yes, and it is annoying to say the least. I just stay out of such conversations or choose not to respond when someone baits me.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 12:27:09 PM

That's what happens in the religious forum and is why most sensible people avoid it. I go in there from time to time to see if it's better and am sadly let down each time.
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 12:43:48 PM
At 1/12/2015 12:27:09 PM, Wylted wrote:
That's what happens in the religious forum and is why most sensible people avoid it. I go in there from time to time to see if it's better and am sadly let down each time.
It may be a little less horrible right now, and for the next month.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 1:37:54 PM
At 1/12/2015 12:43:48 PM, Ragnar wrote:
At 1/12/2015 12:27:09 PM, Wylted wrote:
It may be a little less horrible right now, and for the next month.

I was thinking that as well.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 1:43:23 PM

Yes.

Welcome.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 2:15:48 PM
It's happened to me too. Not all the time, but when it does happen, a ton of people "gang up" on me. It's really annoying, and being a victim of this sometimes triggers some quite violent desires in me.
Yeah, I've got a bad temper.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid