Jump to topic:

An egoist idea to increase voting.

n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 1:56:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I thought of this a while ago when I couldn't sleep one night.

Perhaps the main reason people don't vote is because we don't really get much out of it. If I vote on a debate that already as 2 good and only 2 votes in favor of the person I am going to vote for, what do I really get out of it?

So, maybe DDO could make a page where you can receive a debate to vote on. When you vote on this debate, you then can post your debate on this page which will get removed once someone votes on it. If you really want more votes, you'll have to earn more credits to post it on the widget again.

Or maybe whenever you vote, Airmax will send you a photo of him with one article of clothing removed. As you keep voting, you get to see more.

I can think of some downsides to this. Someone can just vote "LOL credits guys f*ck you" on the debate. It will eventually get removed, but it might not be removed in time for the person to have his debate voted on. Although this could be fixed with banning the person.

It might not be fair, since some debates which are a full forfeit would cause some users to get credits much more easily than someone voting on a heavy debate. This could be fixed with only allowing completed debates.

This could also perhaps decrease the quality of voting, since people are only voting to get a vote themselves.

Anyway, is this idea any good?
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 2:01:49 PM
At 1/19/2015 1:56:58 PM, n7 wrote:

Or maybe whenever you vote, Airmax will send you a photo of him with one article of clothing removed. As you keep voting, you get to see more.

I like this idea ;)
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 2:02:16 PM

Bossy'll be the top voter on the site.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:46:54 PM
At 1/19/2015 2:02:16 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Bossy'll be the top voter on the site.

Rofl...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:59:29 PM

Or maybe whenever you vote, Airmax will send you a photo of him with one article of clothing removed.

I'll do the same thing but for free
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 9:26:27 PM
At 1/19/2015 3:59:29 PM, imabench wrote:

Or maybe whenever you vote, Airmax will send you a photo of him with one article of clothing removed.

I'll do the same thing but for free

ok :)
Nolite Timere
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 9:45:03 PM
There is a voting leaderboard, but I doubt people ever look at that, or the other leaderboards for that matter. Under the old format of the website, the leaderboard was posted on the homepage. Publicizing top voters in that way would surely act as an incentive to at least increase the quantity of votes.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 11:15:12 PM
A suggestion that I've already passed on up, is that the vote request thread, contain the suggestion of voting for something above your post to pay it forward.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
wowwhatwhy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 5:40:14 AM

Perhaps the main reason people don't vote is because we don't really get much out of it. If I vote on a debate that already as 2 good and only 2 votes in favor of the person I am going to vote for, what do I really get out of it?

So, maybe DDO could make a page where you can receive a debate to vote on. When you vote on this debate, you then can post your debate on this page which will get removed once someone votes on it. If you really want more votes, you'll have to earn more credits to post it on the widget again.

I can think of some downsides to this. Someone can just vote "LOL credits guys f*ck you" on the debate. It will eventually get removed, but it might not be removed in time for the person to have his debate voted on. Although this could be fixed with banning the person.

It might not be fair, since some debates which are a full forfeit would cause some users to get credits much more easily than someone voting on a heavy debate. This could be fixed with only allowing completed debates.

This could also perhaps decrease the quality of voting, since people are only voting to get a vote themselves.

No it's a dumb idea, it will means all noobs cannot get their debates voted on because they can't vote until they have 3 complete debates.
I have a funny sig in an unusual color and now will quote a well-known user of this site to seem as if I care more about DDO drama than my inept ability to relate to people in real life:

"I want to have a nice bowl of cereal in the morning because it is my right as an American Taxpayer to enjoy cereal in the mornings. Okay im not a taxpayer." - Imabench

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:15:42 AM
At 1/19/2015 11:15:12 PM, Ragnar wrote:
A suggestion that I've already passed on up, is that the vote request thread, contain the suggestion of voting for something above your post to pay it forward.

I think this is a great idea if you can solve the following problem:

Person A posts a link to a debate.

Person B and C both vote on it. However, Person C responds to Person A's post before Person B does. Person B then responds.

Person D comes into the thread. Does Person D vote on B's debate because it is the most recent post and the thread says "Vote on the Debate Above Yours." Or does Person D vote on C's debate because C posted first.

Regardless of the answer, how do you deal with this? It's only a fair system if both B and C get their debates voted on. But after person D also posts his debate, you now have two debates that needs votes but only one person (the next commenter) obligated to vote.

You can't solve it by having people post their replies before voting because then there is no enforcement mechanism. The next poster is obligated to vote regardless of whether the previous poster has actually issued a vote, so people can just post in the thread and never vote.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 10:23:08 AM
At 1/20/2015 8:15:42 AM, bluesteel wrote:

Person B and C both vote on it. However, Person C responds to Person A's post before Person B does. Person B then responds.

Person D comes into the thread. Does Person D vote on B's debate because it is the most recent post and the thread says "Vote on the Debate Above Yours." Or does Person D vote on C's debate because C posted first.

Regardless of the answer, how do you deal with this? It's only a fair system if both B and C get their debates voted on. But after person D also posts his debate, you now have two debates that needs votes but only one person (the next commenter) obligated to vote.

You can't solve it by having people post their replies before voting because then there is no enforcement mechanism. The next poster is obligated to vote regardless of whether the previous poster has actually issued a vote, so people can just post in the thread and never vote.
You are correct in there being no enforcement mechanism. Nor is it intended to be perfectly fair. It is intended as an incremental improvement, which does not involve hiring anyone to write code.

Someone whose debate is not voted on in a day or two, can always repeat the request.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 10:39:00 AM
At 1/20/2015 10:23:08 AM, Ragnar wrote:
At 1/20/2015 8:15:42 AM, bluesteel wrote:

You are correct in there being no enforcement mechanism. Nor is it intended to be perfectly fair. It is intended as an incremental improvement, which does not involve hiring anyone to write code.

Someone whose debate is not voted on in a day or two, can always repeat the request.

I liked your idea and was going to make it into a thread, but I can't see it being successful unless you solve the above problem. What you're advocating for now is no different than the "post unvoted debates here" thread.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 12:01:45 PM
At 1/20/2015 5:40:14 AM, wowwhatwhy wrote:

No it's a dumb idea, it will means all noobs cannot get their debates voted on because they can't vote until they have 3 complete debates.

This doesn't eliminate the current voting system, but is an expansion of it. So, noobs can still have their debates voted on.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
wowwhatwhy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 12:18:19 PM
At 1/20/2015 12:01:45 PM, n7 wrote:
At 1/20/2015 5:40:14 AM, wowwhatwhy wrote:

This doesn't eliminate the current voting system, but is an expansion of it. So, noobs can still have their debates voted on.

Sorry but even if you got a million credits and sold your DDO account on eBay to someone slightly more socially excluded and desperate for attention than yourself, and then offered thousands of prostitutes your money in exchange for sex, you'd still not solve the fact that no one loves you and likes you for anything other than your ability to work hard and produce cash.

The nerd disease is not curable by your system and, as an extension of this flaw, the need for people to compensate for their lack of real life affection with this debate site will not suddenly feel fulfilled or have an 'egotist' reason to vote. The credits mean nothing in the end.
I have a funny sig in an unusual color and now will quote a well-known user of this site to seem as if I care more about DDO drama than my inept ability to relate to people in real life:

"I want to have a nice bowl of cereal in the morning because it is my right as an American Taxpayer to enjoy cereal in the mornings. Okay im not a taxpayer." - Imabench