Total Posts:64|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Terrible RFD of the Week

bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:22:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm going to start a weekly thread where I analyze a terrible RFD and explain why it's bad. Since this necessitates that I actually read the debate in question, I'll also provide my own vote on it, assuming I'm able to (e.g. not "judge voting"). It may also be like The Weekly Stupid in that I might showcase multiple RFD's and say which is the worst and why.

It is my opinion that this does not constitute a call-out thread since the purpose is to analyze the voter's reasoning and not to say that the user is a bad voter themselves. Even amazing voters sometimes issue bad RFD's. This should not be taken as a statement about the voter, but as an analysis of the RFD itself.

It is my hope that by seeing what makes a bad RFD, the community begins to understand what constitutes a good RFD.

Please submit to me via PM RFD's you think should be showcased.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:29:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 8:22:26 AM, bluesteel wrote:
I'm going to start a weekly thread where I analyze a terrible RFD and explain why it's bad. Since this necessitates that I actually read the debate in question, I'll also provide my own vote on it, assuming I'm able to (e.g. not "judge voting"). It may also be like The Weekly Stupid in that I might showcase multiple RFD's and say which is the worst and why.

It is my opinion that this does not constitute a call-out thread since the purpose is to analyze the voter's reasoning and not to say that the user is a bad voter themselves. Even amazing voters sometimes issue bad RFD's. This should not be taken as a statement about the voter, but as an analysis of the RFD itself.

It is my hope that by seeing what makes a bad RFD, the community begins to understand what constitutes a good RFD.

Please submit to me via PM RFD's you think should be showcased.

Aight.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:34:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 8:29:12 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/20/2015 8:22:26 AM, bluesteel wrote:
I'm going to start a weekly thread where I analyze a terrible RFD and explain why it's bad. Since this necessitates that I actually read the debate in question, I'll also provide my own vote on it, assuming I'm able to (e.g. not "judge voting"). It may also be like The Weekly Stupid in that I might showcase multiple RFD's and say which is the worst and why.

It is my opinion that this does not constitute a call-out thread since the purpose is to analyze the voter's reasoning and not to say that the user is a bad voter themselves. Even amazing voters sometimes issue bad RFD's. This should not be taken as a statement about the voter, but as an analysis of the RFD itself.

It is my hope that by seeing what makes a bad RFD, the community begins to understand what constitutes a good RFD.

Please submit to me via PM RFD's you think should be showcased.

Aight.

Oh, just in case no one has pointed this out to you, "you are currently not accepting messages at this time." I take you to be a very competent person whom is aware of his surroundings, so I think you already knew this, but I figured that it would be good to at least let you know.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:35:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 8:34:14 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/20/2015 8:29:12 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/20/2015 8:22:26 AM, bluesteel wrote:
I'm going to start a weekly thread where I analyze a terrible RFD and explain why it's bad. Since this necessitates that I actually read the debate in question, I'll also provide my own vote on it, assuming I'm able to (e.g. not "judge voting"). It may also be like The Weekly Stupid in that I might showcase multiple RFD's and say which is the worst and why.

It is my opinion that this does not constitute a call-out thread since the purpose is to analyze the voter's reasoning and not to say that the user is a bad voter themselves. Even amazing voters sometimes issue bad RFD's. This should not be taken as a statement about the voter, but as an analysis of the RFD itself.

It is my hope that by seeing what makes a bad RFD, the community begins to understand what constitutes a good RFD.

Please submit to me via PM RFD's you think should be showcased.

Aight.

Oh, just in case no one has pointed this out to you, "you are currently not accepting messages at this time." I take you to be a very competent person whom is aware of his surroundings, so I think you already knew this, but I figured that it would be good to at least let you know.

Forgive me, I called you a "him" when you are indeed not. My apologies.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
wowwhatwhy
Posts: 25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:51:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 8:22:26 AM, bluesteel wrote:
I'm going to start a weekly thread where I analyze a terrible RFD and explain why it's bad. Since this necessitates that I actually read the debate in question, I'll also provide my own vote on it, assuming I'm able to (e.g. not "judge voting"). It may also be like The Weekly Stupid in that I might showcase multiple RFD's and say which is the worst and why.

It is my opinion that this does not constitute a call-out thread since the purpose is to analyze the voter's reasoning and not to say that the user is a bad voter themselves. Even amazing voters sometimes issue bad RFD's. This should not be taken as a statement about the voter, but as an analysis of the RFD itself.

It is my hope that by seeing what makes a bad RFD, the community begins to understand what constitutes a good RFD.

Please submit to me via PM RFD's you think should be showcased.

Yeah, let's showcase negative things because that's totally the right thing to do.
I have a funny sig in an unusual color and now will quote a well-known user of this site to seem as if I care more about DDO drama than my inept ability to relate to people in real life:

"I want to have a nice bowl of cereal in the morning because it is my right as an American Taxpayer to enjoy cereal in the mornings. Okay im not a taxpayer." - Imabench

http://www.debate.org...
dtaylor971
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:32:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 8:51:32 AM, wowwhatwhy wrote:
At 1/20/2015 8:22:26 AM, bluesteel wrote:
I'm going to start a weekly thread where I analyze a terrible RFD and explain why it's bad. Since this necessitates that I actually read the debate in question, I'll also provide my own vote on it, assuming I'm able to (e.g. not "judge voting"). It may also be like The Weekly Stupid in that I might showcase multiple RFD's and say which is the worst and why.

It is my opinion that this does not constitute a call-out thread since the purpose is to analyze the voter's reasoning and not to say that the user is a bad voter themselves. Even amazing voters sometimes issue bad RFD's. This should not be taken as a statement about the voter, but as an analysis of the RFD itself.

It is my hope that by seeing what makes a bad RFD, the community begins to understand what constitutes a good RFD.

Please submit to me via PM RFD's you think should be showcased.

Yeah, let's showcase negative things because that's totally the right thing to do.

Glad you see it our way!
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
wowwhatwhy
Posts: 25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:36:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 9:32:41 AM, dtaylor971 wrote:
At 1/20/2015 8:51:32 AM, wowwhatwhy wrote:
At 1/20/2015 8:22:26 AM, bluesteel wrote:
I'm going to start a weekly thread where I analyze a terrible RFD and explain why it's bad. Since this necessitates that I actually read the debate in question, I'll also provide my own vote on it, assuming I'm able to (e.g. not "judge voting"). It may also be like The Weekly Stupid in that I might showcase multiple RFD's and say which is the worst and why.

It is my opinion that this does not constitute a call-out thread since the purpose is to analyze the voter's reasoning and not to say that the user is a bad voter themselves. Even amazing voters sometimes issue bad RFD's. This should not be taken as a statement about the voter, but as an analysis of the RFD itself.

It is my hope that by seeing what makes a bad RFD, the community begins to understand what constitutes a good RFD.

Please submit to me via PM RFD's you think should be showcased.

Yeah, let's showcase negative things because that's totally the right thing to do.

Glad you see it our way!

Glad to have made you glad. :)
I have a funny sig in an unusual color and now will quote a well-known user of this site to seem as if I care more about DDO drama than my inept ability to relate to people in real life:

"I want to have a nice bowl of cereal in the morning because it is my right as an American Taxpayer to enjoy cereal in the mornings. Okay im not a taxpayer." - Imabench

http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 10:14:43 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 8:51:32 AM, wowwhatwhy wrote:
At 1/20/2015 8:22:26 AM, bluesteel wrote:
I'm going to start a weekly thread where I analyze a terrible RFD and explain why it's bad. Since this necessitates that I actually read the debate in question, I'll also provide my own vote on it, assuming I'm able to (e.g. not "judge voting"). It may also be like The Weekly Stupid in that I might showcase multiple RFD's and say which is the worst and why.

It is my opinion that this does not constitute a call-out thread since the purpose is to analyze the voter's reasoning and not to say that the user is a bad voter themselves. Even amazing voters sometimes issue bad RFD's. This should not be taken as a statement about the voter, but as an analysis of the RFD itself.

It is my hope that by seeing what makes a bad RFD, the community begins to understand what constitutes a good RFD.

Please submit to me via PM RFD's you think should be showcased.

Yeah, let's showcase negative things because that's totally the right thing to do.

How come you shut down your last account?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
wowwhatwhy
Posts: 25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 10:16:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 10:14:43 AM, imabench wrote:
At 1/20/2015 8:51:32 AM, wowwhatwhy wrote:
At 1/20/2015 8:22:26 AM, bluesteel wrote:
I'm going to start a weekly thread where I analyze a terrible RFD and explain why it's bad. Since this necessitates that I actually read the debate in question, I'll also provide my own vote on it, assuming I'm able to (e.g. not "judge voting"). It may also be like The Weekly Stupid in that I might showcase multiple RFD's and say which is the worst and why.

It is my opinion that this does not constitute a call-out thread since the purpose is to analyze the voter's reasoning and not to say that the user is a bad voter themselves. Even amazing voters sometimes issue bad RFD's. This should not be taken as a statement about the voter, but as an analysis of the RFD itself.

It is my hope that by seeing what makes a bad RFD, the community begins to understand what constitutes a good RFD.

Please submit to me via PM RFD's you think should be showcased.

Yeah, let's showcase negative things because that's totally the right thing to do.

How come you shut down your last account?

Are you a special snowflake? Is that why you like Frozen so much?
I have a funny sig in an unusual color and now will quote a well-known user of this site to seem as if I care more about DDO drama than my inept ability to relate to people in real life:

"I want to have a nice bowl of cereal in the morning because it is my right as an American Taxpayer to enjoy cereal in the mornings. Okay im not a taxpayer." - Imabench

http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 10:18:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 10:16:20 AM, wowwhatwhy wrote:
At 1/20/2015 10:14:43 AM, imabench wrote:
At 1/20/2015 8:51:32 AM, wowwhatwhy wrote:

Yeah, let's showcase negative things because that's totally the right thing to do.

How come you shut down your last account?

Are you a special snowflake? Is that why you like Frozen so much?

That doesnt answer my question Beginner....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 10:19:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 8:35:25 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/20/2015 8:34:14 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/20/2015 8:29:12 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/20/2015 8:22:26 AM, bluesteel wrote:
I'm going to start a weekly thread where I analyze a terrible RFD and explain why it's bad. Since this necessitates that I actually read the debate in question, I'll also provide my own vote on it, assuming I'm able to (e.g. not "judge voting"). It may also be like The Weekly Stupid in that I might showcase multiple RFD's and say which is the worst and why.

It is my opinion that this does not constitute a call-out thread since the purpose is to analyze the voter's reasoning and not to say that the user is a bad voter themselves. Even amazing voters sometimes issue bad RFD's. This should not be taken as a statement about the voter, but as an analysis of the RFD itself.

It is my hope that by seeing what makes a bad RFD, the community begins to understand what constitutes a good RFD.

Please submit to me via PM RFD's you think should be showcased.

Aight.

Oh, just in case no one has pointed this out to you, "you are currently not accepting messages at this time." I take you to be a very competent person whom is aware of his surroundings, so I think you already knew this, but I figured that it would be good to at least let you know.

Forgive me, I called you a "him" when you are indeed not. My apologies.

He's a him.
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 10:23:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think I kinda liked it better when people just voted with shorter RFDs than the novels that are socially acceptable today. Back then I would just be irritated if I thought they got it wrong--and since voting wasn't such a chore others would vote, enough of whom would get it right. Seeing someone's horrible reasoning in an RFD is just incredibly frustrating
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 10:34:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 10:23:59 AM, thett3 wrote:
I think I kinda liked it better when people just voted with shorter RFDs than the novels that are socially acceptable today. Back then I would just be irritated if I thought they got it wrong--and since voting wasn't such a chore others would vote, enough of whom would get it right. Seeing someone's horrible reasoning in an RFD is just incredibly frustrating

I disagree; I like it better when they make it clear to any shrewd observer that their RFD is based on nothing more than a personal opinion. At least with short RFD's, they could claim there was some sort of legit reasoning that they simply had chosen not to express for the sake of saving time. Now, when they type 8,000 characters that says nothing more than their own personal musings about arguments, at least it's clear how bogus their RFD is.

The only mistake on the site is confusing a long RFD with a "legit" RFD.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 10:50:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 10:34:55 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 1/20/2015 10:23:59 AM, thett3 wrote:
I think I kinda liked it better when people just voted with shorter RFDs than the novels that are socially acceptable today. Back then I would just be irritated if I thought they got it wrong--and since voting wasn't such a chore others would vote, enough of whom would get it right. Seeing someone's horrible reasoning in an RFD is just incredibly frustrating

I disagree; I like it better when they make it clear to any shrewd observer that their RFD is based on nothing more than a personal opinion. At least with short RFD's, they could claim there was some sort of legit reasoning that they simply had chosen not to express for the sake of saving time. Now, when they type 8,000 characters that says nothing more than their own personal musings about arguments, at least it's clear how bogus their RFD is.

True but damn there's something uniquely frustrating about reading a horrendous RFD... maybe it's just me.

The only mistake on the site is confusing a long RFD with a "legit" RFD.

Oh I definitely agree here. One of the worst RFDs ever left on one of my debates was like 10 parts long. I was voted down based on an argument the voter made for my opponent that I could've refuted in about 30 seconds
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 5:12:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm mostly with Blue on this, but I can see your point Thett. I do like being able to see exactly why I was voted down, and its hard to do that with short RFDs that don't explain the arguments very specifically. If I lose, I want to know why. And 90% of the time, I'm cool with the reason given. I can understand the majority of my losses.

It also helps to expose RFD's with bad reasoning, which is basically what Bluesteel said.

But you're definently right that it can be frustrating. Bluesteel probably remembers his debate with Innomen. Me and imabench both voted for Blue, with Bench giving a 2-3 sentence RFD that was extremely vague (no offense), and me giving a breakdown of every single point. Who did Innomen get mad at? Me. Because he could see specifically what I voted on that he disagreed with.

Still, I think too much analysis is better than not enough.
Zaradi
Posts: 14,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 5:35:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 5:12:43 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

First f-16 and now blackvoid?! It's almost as if the site's going back to the way it used to be when I first joined...

The good ol' days...
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Posts: 14,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 5:36:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Now all we need is Koopin, Lickdafoot, and Royal to come back and it virtually would be the site when I joined...
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 5:55:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 10:34:55 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 1/20/2015 10:23:59 AM, thett3 wrote:
I think I kinda liked it better when people just voted with shorter RFDs than the novels that are socially acceptable today. Back then I would just be irritated if I thought they got it wrong--and since voting wasn't such a chore others would vote, enough of whom would get it right. Seeing someone's horrible reasoning in an RFD is just incredibly frustrating

I disagree; I like it better when they make it clear to any shrewd observer that their RFD is based on nothing more than a personal opinion. At least with short RFD's, they could claim there was some sort of legit reasoning that they simply had chosen not to express for the sake of saving time. Now, when they type 8,000 characters that says nothing more than their own personal musings about arguments, at least it's clear how bogus their RFD is.

The only mistake on the site is confusing a long RFD with a "legit" RFD.

I understand where thett is coming from, but I like the longer RFD's as well. The reason is because it requires judges to "show their work" which means that I can check it, know how the judge thinks, and that is incredibly valuable information.
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 5:57:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 5:36:56 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Now all we need is Koopin, Lickdafoot, and Royal to come back and it virtually would be the site when I joined...

we could sell tickets to a Royal-Zarroette smack down.

Which if they're ever both active at the same time is inevitable
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 6:04:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 5:55:32 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/20/2015 10:34:55 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 1/20/2015 10:23:59 AM, thett3 wrote:
I think I kinda liked it better when people just voted with shorter RFDs than the novels that are socially acceptable today. Back then I would just be irritated if I thought they got it wrong--and since voting wasn't such a chore others would vote, enough of whom would get it right. Seeing someone's horrible reasoning in an RFD is just incredibly frustrating

I disagree; I like it better when they make it clear to any shrewd observer that their RFD is based on nothing more than a personal opinion. At least with short RFD's, they could claim there was some sort of legit reasoning that they simply had chosen not to express for the sake of saving time. Now, when they type 8,000 characters that says nothing more than their own personal musings about arguments, at least it's clear how bogus their RFD is.

The only mistake on the site is confusing a long RFD with a "legit" RFD.

I understand where thett is coming from, but I like the longer RFD's as well. The reason is because it requires judges to "show their work" which means that I can check it, know how the judge thinks, and that is incredibly valuable information.

Yeah, I don't actually support going back to the way it was, but there are aspects about it I liked. Poor RFDs are just so cringe inducing to read, lol...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 6:05:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 5:36:56 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Now all we need is Koopin, Lickdafoot, and Royal to come back and it virtually would be the site when I joined...

That would be so awesome. LDF in particular hasn't been on in forever.
YYW
Posts: 36,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 6:06:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 6:04:01 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/20/2015 5:55:32 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/20/2015 10:34:55 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 1/20/2015 10:23:59 AM, thett3 wrote:
I think I kinda liked it better when people just voted with shorter RFDs than the novels that are socially acceptable today. Back then I would just be irritated if I thought they got it wrong--and since voting wasn't such a chore others would vote, enough of whom would get it right. Seeing someone's horrible reasoning in an RFD is just incredibly frustrating

I disagree; I like it better when they make it clear to any shrewd observer that their RFD is based on nothing more than a personal opinion. At least with short RFD's, they could claim there was some sort of legit reasoning that they simply had chosen not to express for the sake of saving time. Now, when they type 8,000 characters that says nothing more than their own personal musings about arguments, at least it's clear how bogus their RFD is.

The only mistake on the site is confusing a long RFD with a "legit" RFD.

I understand where thett is coming from, but I like the longer RFD's as well. The reason is because it requires judges to "show their work" which means that I can check it, know how the judge thinks, and that is incredibly valuable information.

Yeah, I don't actually support going back to the way it was, but there are aspects about it I liked. Poor RFDs are just so cringe inducing to read, lol...

The great thing about long RFD's, though, is that it enables me, as a debater, to see exactly who I will permit to judge my debates.

And I'll be frank... I will never accept another open debate again. Ever.
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 6:08:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 6:06:24 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/20/2015 6:04:01 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/20/2015 5:55:32 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/20/2015 10:34:55 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 1/20/2015 10:23:59 AM, thett3 wrote:
I think I kinda liked it better when people just voted with shorter RFDs than the novels that are socially acceptable today. Back then I would just be irritated if I thought they got it wrong--and since voting wasn't such a chore others would vote, enough of whom would get it right. Seeing someone's horrible reasoning in an RFD is just incredibly frustrating

I disagree; I like it better when they make it clear to any shrewd observer that their RFD is based on nothing more than a personal opinion. At least with short RFD's, they could claim there was some sort of legit reasoning that they simply had chosen not to express for the sake of saving time. Now, when they type 8,000 characters that says nothing more than their own personal musings about arguments, at least it's clear how bogus their RFD is.

The only mistake on the site is confusing a long RFD with a "legit" RFD.

I understand where thett is coming from, but I like the longer RFD's as well. The reason is because it requires judges to "show their work" which means that I can check it, know how the judge thinks, and that is incredibly valuable information.

Yeah, I don't actually support going back to the way it was, but there are aspects about it I liked. Poor RFDs are just so cringe inducing to read, lol...

The great thing about long RFD's, though, is that it enables me, as a debater, to see exactly who I will permit to judge my debates.

And I'll be frank... I will never accept another open debate again. Ever.

I can understand that, completely...although, there's never been a debate where I've been completely screwed over. All of my losses are justifiable. Can't say the same for everyone, though...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 6:11:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 6:08:49 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/20/2015 6:06:24 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/20/2015 6:04:01 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/20/2015 5:55:32 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/20/2015 10:34:55 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 1/20/2015 10:23:59 AM, thett3 wrote:
I think I kinda liked it better when people just voted with shorter RFDs than the novels that are socially acceptable today. Back then I would just be irritated if I thought they got it wrong--and since voting wasn't such a chore others would vote, enough of whom would get it right. Seeing someone's horrible reasoning in an RFD is just incredibly frustrating

I disagree; I like it better when they make it clear to any shrewd observer that their RFD is based on nothing more than a personal opinion. At least with short RFD's, they could claim there was some sort of legit reasoning that they simply had chosen not to express for the sake of saving time. Now, when they type 8,000 characters that says nothing more than their own personal musings about arguments, at least it's clear how bogus their RFD is.

The only mistake on the site is confusing a long RFD with a "legit" RFD.

I understand where thett is coming from, but I like the longer RFD's as well. The reason is because it requires judges to "show their work" which means that I can check it, know how the judge thinks, and that is incredibly valuable information.

Yeah, I don't actually support going back to the way it was, but there are aspects about it I liked. Poor RFDs are just so cringe inducing to read, lol...

The great thing about long RFD's, though, is that it enables me, as a debater, to see exactly who I will permit to judge my debates.

And I'll be frank... I will never accept another open debate again. Ever.

I can understand that, completely...although, there's never been a debate where I've been completely screwed over. All of my losses are justifiable. Can't say the same for everyone, though...

Eh. I thought you won the Africa debate to be honest, but maybe its just because your BoP was so big. I do think you did better overall.
YYW
Posts: 36,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 6:11:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 6:08:49 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/20/2015 6:06:24 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/20/2015 6:04:01 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/20/2015 5:55:32 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/20/2015 10:34:55 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 1/20/2015 10:23:59 AM, thett3 wrote:
I think I kinda liked it better when people just voted with shorter RFDs than the novels that are socially acceptable today. Back then I would just be irritated if I thought they got it wrong--and since voting wasn't such a chore others would vote, enough of whom would get it right. Seeing someone's horrible reasoning in an RFD is just incredibly frustrating

I disagree; I like it better when they make it clear to any shrewd observer that their RFD is based on nothing more than a personal opinion. At least with short RFD's, they could claim there was some sort of legit reasoning that they simply had chosen not to express for the sake of saving time. Now, when they type 8,000 characters that says nothing more than their own personal musings about arguments, at least it's clear how bogus their RFD is.

The only mistake on the site is confusing a long RFD with a "legit" RFD.

I understand where thett is coming from, but I like the longer RFD's as well. The reason is because it requires judges to "show their work" which means that I can check it, know how the judge thinks, and that is incredibly valuable information.

Yeah, I don't actually support going back to the way it was, but there are aspects about it I liked. Poor RFDs are just so cringe inducing to read, lol...

The great thing about long RFD's, though, is that it enables me, as a debater, to see exactly who I will permit to judge my debates.

And I'll be frank... I will never accept another open debate again. Ever.

I can understand that, completely...although, there's never been a debate where I've been completely screwed over. All of my losses are justifiable. Can't say the same for everyone, though...

I mean, I have actually lost some debates, like that one I FF'd to Roy because he actually changed my mind on affirmative action based on race. But seeing some dipshit leave a disputed RFD on my debate makes debating not worth the effort. I mean, there was a time (obviously) when I didn't feel that way, but at this point in my life I have so little free time if I'm going to put in the effort to research for a debate and actually type it up, I want only judges whose ability to judge correctly I can trust.

And I am an elitist about judging, too. Again, white flame and Bladerunner. Props to those guys.
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 6:12:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 6:11:15 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 1/20/2015 6:08:49 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/20/2015 6:06:24 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/20/2015 6:04:01 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/20/2015 5:55:32 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/20/2015 10:34:55 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 1/20/2015 10:23:59 AM, thett3 wrote:
I think I kinda liked it better when people just voted with shorter RFDs than the novels that are socially acceptable today. Back then I would just be irritated if I thought they got it wrong--and since voting wasn't such a chore others would vote, enough of whom would get it right. Seeing someone's horrible reasoning in an RFD is just incredibly frustrating

I disagree; I like it better when they make it clear to any shrewd observer that their RFD is based on nothing more than a personal opinion. At least with short RFD's, they could claim there was some sort of legit reasoning that they simply had chosen not to express for the sake of saving time. Now, when they type 8,000 characters that says nothing more than their own personal musings about arguments, at least it's clear how bogus their RFD is.

The only mistake on the site is confusing a long RFD with a "legit" RFD.

I understand where thett is coming from, but I like the longer RFD's as well. The reason is because it requires judges to "show their work" which means that I can check it, know how the judge thinks, and that is incredibly valuable information.

Yeah, I don't actually support going back to the way it was, but there are aspects about it I liked. Poor RFDs are just so cringe inducing to read, lol...

The great thing about long RFD's, though, is that it enables me, as a debater, to see exactly who I will permit to judge my debates.

And I'll be frank... I will never accept another open debate again. Ever.

I can understand that, completely...although, there's never been a debate where I've been completely screwed over. All of my losses are justifiable. Can't say the same for everyone, though...

Eh. I thought you won the Africa debate to be honest, but maybe its just because your BoP was so big. I do think you did better overall.

That was such an epic debate, lol.

but yeah the BOP was enormous. maybe we can debate again and I'll finally beat you on something
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Posts: 36,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 6:15:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 5:57:11 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/20/2015 5:36:56 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Now all we need is Koopin, Lickdafoot, and Royal to come back and it virtually would be the site when I joined...

we could sell tickets to a Royal-Zarroette smack down.

Which if they're ever both active at the same time is inevitable

I really, really hope that never happens.
Tsar of DDO
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 6:15:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 6:12:25 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/20/2015 6:11:15 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 1/20/2015 6:08:49 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/20/2015 6:06:24 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/20/2015 6:04:01 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/20/2015 5:55:32 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/20/2015 10:34:55 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 1/20/2015 10:23:59 AM, thett3 wrote:
I think I kinda liked it better when people just voted with shorter RFDs than the novels that are socially acceptable today. Back then I would just be irritated if I thought they got it wrong--and since voting wasn't such a chore others would vote, enough of whom would get it right. Seeing someone's horrible reasoning in an RFD is just incredibly frustrating

I disagree; I like it better when they make it clear to any shrewd observer that their RFD is based on nothing more than a personal opinion. At least with short RFD's, they could claim there was some sort of legit reasoning that they simply had chosen not to express for the sake of saving time. Now, when they type 8,000 characters that says nothing more than their own personal musings about arguments, at least it's clear how bogus their RFD is.

The only mistake on the site is confusing a long RFD with a "legit" RFD.

I understand where thett is coming from, but I like the longer RFD's as well. The reason is because it requires judges to "show their work" which means that I can check it, know how the judge thinks, and that is incredibly valuable information.

Yeah, I don't actually support going back to the way it was, but there are aspects about it I liked. Poor RFDs are just so cringe inducing to read, lol...

The great thing about long RFD's, though, is that it enables me, as a debater, to see exactly who I will permit to judge my debates.

And I'll be frank... I will never accept another open debate again. Ever.

I can understand that, completely...although, there's never been a debate where I've been completely screwed over. All of my losses are justifiable. Can't say the same for everyone, though...

Eh. I thought you won the Africa debate to be honest, but maybe its just because your BoP was so big. I do think you did better overall.

That was such an epic debate, lol.

but yeah the BOP was enormous. maybe we can debate again and I'll finally beat you on something

Actually, you did, although it was a long time ago and I never said anything. I faced you as a multi one time :p

I wanted to see what it was like to face an elite opponent without having to worry about w/l ratio. It was fun.

http://www.debate.org...