Jump to topic:

Official Team Debates Proposal

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:46:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have had this idea for quite a while now, and I have created polls to see what people think about it. I mainly formulated this new feature with what I have observed other people saying.

Ok, no use in wasting time, here goes:

I have formulated an idea for a new feature on DDO; the Team Debate.

BRIEF DESCRIPTION:

For my Idea, there are 2 teams, which will represent Pro and Con; Instigator and Contender (as in the standard debates).

Each team has 3 to 5 people(depending on how you set it up) and has its own private chat room in which the members can discuss their arguments, rebuttals, and counter-rebuttals.

The Team Debate area will have a message section, where you can send a message to your friends. Regardless of whether or not they agree on the debating topic, you can ask them if they want to participate in the team debate with you. If they answer "Yes" to your message, then you can continue in asking them whether or not the want to be on your team. You can also ask complete strangers to participate in the debate, and you can ask them whether or not they want to be on your team or the opposing team.

After both teams are established and all team members are in the chat room, a team leader is nominated (you can't vote for yourself), and then the Team Leader assigns each member roles in the debate (arguments/rebuttals/counter-rebuttals/all three). Each previously given segment will have its own sub-chat room.

There will be a main debate area, which will look like the standard debate page, with comments, votes, and the arguments themselves. The arguments can range from a minimum of 5 rounds to 17 rounds, as shown in the following outline:

The example below depicts the absolute minimum number of rounds:

MINIMUM TEAM DEBATE ORGANIZATION:

Round 1: Strictly acceptance and establishing sides

Round 2: Both sides present main argument

Round 3: Rebuttals to opponents' main argument

Round 4: Counter-Rebuttals to opponents' rebuttals

Round 5: Conclusion

Below is an example of the absolute maximum number of rounds:

ADVANCED TEAM DEBATE ROUND ORGANIZATION:

Round 1: Strictly acceptance

Round 2: Both sides present arguments

Round 3: Rebuttals to opponents' arguments

Round 4: Counter-Rebuttals to opponents' rebuttals

Repeat the concept/outline of rounds 2-4 either 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 times. This means that the Team Debates will have either 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, or 20 rounds, including the conclusion. The conclusion would be round 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, or 20, depending on the debate length.

BASIC SET-UP:

When setting up the debate, you will have many options to choose from. Once you give the debate a topic, you can set the debate to have 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, or 20 rounds using the specific guidelines above. You can also set how many people you want on each team (3 -5 people). You can then set the word limit in each argument ranging from 500; 1,000; 2,500; 5,000; 7,500; 10,000; 15,000; and 20,000 words. You can set the time to post to accept from 2 weeks, 18 days, and 3 weeks. You can set the time it takes for a team to post arguments ranging from 2 weeks, 18 days, and 3 weeks. You can also set the Minimum/Maximum Elo Ranking needed to participate in the debate using the already existing ELO "Choice" system.

One last thing regarding debate set-up. You can set the debate to the availability level, or the requirements that govern who can accept the debate. There would be three categories: "Open" (any established team can accept), "Limited" (any established team within the set ELO requirements can accept), or "Restricted" (no established team can accept the debate without first sending you a message and having your full authorization).

The debate will count towards each member's Victory Record, Loss Record, Tie Record, and ELO Ranking. On the main debate page, each team member's name will be on the page, with the Team Leader's name first.

Since there would be more people participating than in the regular debates, there would be an extended time period to accept the debate and post arguments, as stated before. For acceptance, the minimum time period would be at least 2 weeks. For the argument posting time period, each side would have 2 weeks minimum to post argument.

The already-existing voting styles can be chosen by the creator of the debate.

I am looking forward to getting a lot of feedback. Any comments, suggestions, enhancements, please let me know! Feel free to post your opinion about this idea.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
wowwhatwhy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:49:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2015 9:46:01 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

You know, I once had an idea to invent a portable piss-bag and make it trendy so no one felt any social pressure/harm using it.

Then I woke up and realized that an idea is worthless until it's actually made to happen.
I have a funny sig in an unusual color and now will quote a well-known user of this site to seem as if I care more about DDO drama than my inept ability to relate to people in real life:

"I want to have a nice bowl of cereal in the morning because it is my right as an American Taxpayer to enjoy cereal in the mornings. Okay im not a taxpayer." - Imabench

http://www.debate.org...