Jump to topic:

Debate Ideas

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 10:58:28 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
So actually I have to write a rap battle with omelet before the deadline (lol tomorrow) but after that I want to do some fun debates. After 260+ debates I've had enough of philosophy, politics and economics for now (and even now I'm in a science debate). I'm supposed to be debating Mirza but even though he's online all day he refuses to debate me until 8/8 (lol yes I'm calling you out :P ). I've also wanted to debate Nags on things like the border fence, terrorist racial profiling and torture but he's busy too.

So in the meantime, I want to debate something less serious - like say LeBron vs. Kobe... but I've already debated that too, from both sides actually LOL once in favor of LeBron and once in favor of Kobe. Anyway does anyone have an idea for a debate about movies, sports, TV or music of some kind? Any suggestions for resolutions? Some ideas I had were doing like TV - I pick 3 good shows and my opponent chooses 3 and then we debate which ones are better, etc. I dunno - something like that. I've done the "my band vs. your band" on here though and that was fun. The only problems with these debates are that sometimes the resolution/voting is too subjective. But does anyone have any ideas? The only thing I'm not really interested are like those fictitional team war things because I don't know enough about game characters or whatever. I've also already done game console debates in favor of PS3 *and* 360.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 11:22:06 AM
At 6/24/2010 11:00:43 AM, PoeJoe wrote:
Debating about DDO or about debate in general is always fun. It's personal, for both debaters.

Have an idea for a resolution? Like such and such a debater is better or something? I can do the 5 best mafia game players lol I dunno... do you mean like that? Example please :)
President of DDO
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 11:32:13 AM
At 6/24/2010 11:22:06 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 6/24/2010 11:00:43 AM, PoeJoe wrote:
Debating about DDO or about debate in general is always fun. It's personal, for both debaters.

Have an idea for a resolution? Like such and such a debater is better or something? I can do the 5 best mafia game players lol I dunno... do you mean like that? Example please :)

- This way of approaching an argument is better than this way.

- WebCorp should take this business strategy instead of its current one.

- The entire concept of debate is flawed for these reasons.

- This is where DDO is ultimately headed, and here's why.

- This is the purpose of debate, and here's why.

- This should be the purpose of debate, and here's why.

- Differences between irl debates and DDO debates and which is superior.

- Should the DDO community have a fun tone or an intellectual tone?

- What is and should be the purpose of DDO?

Et cetera.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 12:17:37 PM
At 6/24/2010 10:58:28 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I'm supposed to be debating Mirza but even though he's online all day he refuses to debate me until 8/8 (lol yes I'm calling you out :P ).
I had a debate with CN until lately, and I have to travel tomorrow. Unless you were up to a 60 min. per round debate, which I would have accepted, I think you would rather have a long debate so that we could bring forth all kinds of arguments.

---

Here are my suggestions to you, and it does not matter if you are PRO or CON:

1. The Human Civilization Should Colonize Mars
2. Computers Will Replace TV's Before 2020 (or other date)
3. Video Games of Violent Content Should be Kept Away From Pre-Teenagers
4. Middle School Should Be Obligatory

These may be fairly serious, but I think they are quite interesting. Those below are less serious:

1. PS3 is Better Than Wii
2. iPhone 4G is the Best Cell Phone
3. Microsoft is More Inventive Than Apple
4. Bruce Lee Was the Best Fighter
5. The TV Show FRIENDS Should Not Have Ended As It Did
6. MySpace is Better Than Facebook
7. The Alleged Pyramids in Bosnia Are Real (see my thread in science forum)
8. Tanks (or artilleries, planes, ships, etc.) Are The Most Important Weapon In War

Have fun! Wish me a good first time plane trip!
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 12:18:28 PM
There are so many philosophical issues, and only a very few common ones have been touched upon on this website. Meta-ethics? Philosophy of mind (I rarely if ever see this debate on DDO, despite the extensive discussion in academic philosophy)?

I'm not a political junkie myself, so I won't bother as it bores me as well :P

If I had to choose a more relaxed debate, a common type of debate I've encountered are topics related to games and in-game issues, namely FPS games (MW2, Halo, crossover comparisons, etc.). Of course, I suspect there aren't many people on this website who are interested enough :(
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 12:31:05 PM
At 6/24/2010 12:17:37 PM, Mirza wrote:

I hate it when people try to trick their opponents into inherently false positions--stuff like "0.999... =/= 1."
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 12:35:48 PM
Here are my suggestions to you, and it does not matter if you are PRO or CON:

I don't find some of these controversial or interesting enough to garner enough discussion, but the others are fine.

1. The Human Civilization Should Colonize Mars

And what compelling reason is there to not? There are no Native Martians inhabiting there that could cause any potential ethical issue.

2. Computers Will Replace TV's Before 2020 (or other date)

2020 is much too early, and depending on when you put the date (I suppose this is the only point of conjecture, albeit it's quite mundane and sketchy) computer will probably be more commonly used and expansive in utility.

3. Video Games of Violent Content Should be Kept Away From Pre-Teenagers

Noteworthy topic, but it's been thrown around quite a lot. However, I wouldn't mind debating someone on this topic, so :)

4. Middle School Should Be Obligatory

This would either collapse into a public education debate, or an even further debate about what kind of obligation you are talking about, and what justifies this. Could be interesting.

1. PS3 is Better Than Wii

Gotta define better, which assumes a lot to begin with.

2. iPhone 4G is the Best Cell Phone

Again, definition of best is crucial.

3. Microsoft is More Inventive Than Apple

Debating that will be quite difficult, since judging how inventive one can be is...vague.

4. Bruce Lee Was the Best Fighter

I'm assuming overall fighter, and even then it's hard to tell due to the lack of documented fights he's been in. I mean, no lie he was a fantastic martial artist and the accounts of his feats of strength and ability are outstanding...but debates about which fighter is better are always nebulous, especially when dealing with historic figures.

5. The TV Show FRIENDS Should Not Have Ended As It Did

lol, well >.>

Again, the annoying inclusion of better.

7. The Alleged Pyramids in Bosnia Are Real (see my thread in science forum)

Hm.

8. Tanks (or artilleries, planes, ships, etc.) Are The Most Important Weapon In War

You mean military equipment in general? Well that's going to be hard to argue against, since you just listed the vast majority of all military weapons. All you have left are personnel weaponry, WMD's (perhaps more relevant in the future), and...maybe people.

Have fun! Wish me a good first time plane trip!

Good luck :P
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 12:51:37 PM
TS, as much as I would love to discuss with you right now, I do not have the time, so I will respond shortly and that will be it.

At 6/24/2010 12:35:48 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:
And what compelling reason is there to not? There are no Native Martians inhabiting there that could cause any potential ethical issue.
How about which country of our planet should have which territories? USA would want their piece, Russia would have their, and so forth. There are lots of CON arguments.

2020 is much too early, and depending on when you put the date (I suppose this is the only point of conjecture, albeit it's quite mundane and sketchy) computer will probably be more commonly used and expansive in utility.
Bill Gates predicted it to an earlier time than 2020, and in 2025, for example, we might not have TV's in general, just computers controlling both a big, flat screen, and a normal computer screen etc. simultaneously.

Noteworthy topic, but it's been thrown around quite a lot. However, I wouldn't mind debating someone on this topic, so :)
It is interesting, though. I am not sure which positions you and theLwerd would take on this.

This would either collapse into a public education debate, or an even further debate about what kind of obligation you are talking about, and what justifies this. Could be interesting.
Yes.

Gotta define better, which assumes a lot to begin with.
If theLwerd chooses PRO, she will obviously make some points about it for CON to tackle.

Again, definition of best is crucial.
That can be explained in the opening argument. Hardware, software, etc.

Debating that will be quite difficult, since judging how inventive one can be is...vague.
Well, what has Microsoft done better than Apple? What has Apple done better than Microsoft? There are many things to debate here. PC's have the highest percentage of market share, while Mac are significantly lower.

I'm assuming overall fighter, and even then it's hard to tell due to the lack of documented fights he's been in. I mean, no lie he was a fantastic martial artist and the accounts of his feats of strength and ability are outstanding...but debates about which fighter is better are always nebulous, especially when dealing with historic figures.
Yes, but there are many points to bring up. Self-confidence is important for fighters, and Bruce Lee had lots of it.

"To tell the truth... I could beat anyone in the world." - Bruce Lee

He was intelligent, knowledgeable, flexible, etc., and can in many ways be considered the best fighter that we know. He can be compared to Mohammed Ali or someone else.

lol, well >.>
Well, that one is not serious at all.

Again, the annoying inclusion of better.
I am not here to make a 10-page list of good explanation for these topics, but just a short version. "Better" can be defined in the opening argument, or another resolution can be made. Facebook has more/less features etc., all of that can be brought in to the discussion.

Hm.
This one is very interesting, and there are few counter-arguments.

You mean military equipment in general? Well that's going to be hard to argue against, since you just listed the vast majority of all military weapons. All you have left are personnel weaponry, WMD's (perhaps more relevant in the future), and...maybe people.
That is not what I meant. Of vehicles of some sort, like tanks, which are most useful? Tanks, artilleries, ships, planes, etc. All are needed, but one can argue that e.g. tanks are mostly useful among all those. WMD's are not any sort of vehicles.

Good luck :P
Thanks!
Valtarov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 12:56:50 PM
I'd debate that the Infantry are the most essential military asset.
"We are half-hearted creatures,
fooling about with drink and sex and
ambition when infinite joy is offered us,
like an ignorant child who wants to go on
making mud pies in a slum because he
cannot imagine what is meant by the offer
of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily
pleased."—C.S. Lewis, "The Weight of Glory"
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 12:58:12 PM
At 6/24/2010 12:56:50 PM, Valtarov wrote:

Hmm...I may consider taking that, but then again this thread is for Lwerd so she has first picks.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 1:01:18 PM
At 6/24/2010 12:56:50 PM, Valtarov wrote:

Pro or Con. Era or all time?
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 1:55:20 PM
And what compelling reason is there to not?
Cost.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 2:03:02 PM
At 6/24/2010 12:18:28 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:
There are so many philosophical issues, and only a very few common ones have been touched upon on this website. Meta-ethics? Philosophy of mind (I rarely if ever see this debate on DDO, despite the extensive discussion in academic philosophy)?

This.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
sherlockmethod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 2:06:20 PM
I see some fun ideas, but I have lost interest lately in "better" being used in a debate. The debate descends into a game over the definition of "better". Those debates are boring for the most part. I like the pseudo science debates a lot, so I will take most of those. Maybe if we defined better before the debate that would be fine, I guess. Something like the 1970's were better than the 1980's (music/fashion/politics/etc) some limiting term would make for a fun debate. The rap debates are fun to watch/read but I suck at them. I like the better debater idea to some extent and defending RFDs seems fun. I don't care for "so and so voted wrong" but RFDs allow for good debate points. We can find something I think.
Library cards: Stopping stupid one book at a time.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 2:06:33 PM
At 6/24/2010 1:55:20 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Cost.

There is no specific time-reference, meaning the relevance of that can greatly diminish.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 2:13:46 PM
At 6/24/2010 2:06:33 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:
At 6/24/2010 1:55:20 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Cost.

There is no specific time-reference, meaning the relevance of that can greatly diminish.

So, it gets into either an argument that technology will not advance or an argument that present tense is the "default tense" of English.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 2:19:19 PM
So, it gets into either an argument that technology will not advance or an argument that present tense is the "default tense" of English.

Uh huh, and given that both arguments are highly suspect I doubt any considerable debate would develop.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 2:58:59 PM
So are you going to accept the sweatshop debate?
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 3:02:25 PM
At 6/24/2010 2:58:59 PM, mongoose wrote:

I kind of want to debate sweatshops. Haha. I'm con btw.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 3:03:31 PM
You could try Ultimate Team War, "I will not break a rule," "I will not contradict myself," "[PRO/CON] deserved to win this debate," etc.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 3:11:42 PM
Or, of course, you could use the resolution "I deserved to win every debate I have debated on DDO," in which your opponent chooses a few debates that they think you deserved to lose, and you debate over those few.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 3:22:50 PM
At 6/24/2010 2:19:19 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:

Uh huh, and given that both arguments are highly suspect I doubt any considerable debate would develop.

What's so suspect about the argument that it won't advance to the point of economically viable colonization of Mars?
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 4:32:55 PM
What's so suspect about the argument that it won't advance to the point of economically viable colonization of Mars?

The further temporally you get, the more vague discussions relating economic viability become. So unless you focus the debate title in the next few decades, I don't see it becoming anymore unique than the speculations futurists are so fond of.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 4:55:27 PM
At 6/24/2010 2:58:59 PM, mongoose wrote:

Probably. I'm debating Freedo atm and doing a rap battle with omelet due in less than 24 hours (so I really need to get on that!) lol BUT I will probs accept it when I'm done with the rap battle. If I have any questions or clarifications I will ask you beforehand. However, as I said I want to debate something less serious.

Skeptic/Geo -- You're totally right in that there are a lot more debate topics in the world of philosophy I can do (especially concerning the mind); however, as I said I don't want to debate those atm lol. I definitely plan on it in the future but for now I'm looking for something light.

Good ideas from PoeJoe and such -- I will read the rest of 'em when I can :)
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 4:56:39 PM
At 6/24/2010 3:03:31 PM, mongeese wrote:
You could try Ultimate Team War,

As I said, I don't know enough about characters from games or whatever (where do you choose the people who fight anyway? Anywhere?)

"I will not break a rule,"

Eh, it's the same as the "I will not contradict myself" kind of debate which I also believe I've already done.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 4:57:41 PM
At 6/24/2010 3:11:42 PM, mongeese wrote:
Or, of course, you could use the resolution "I deserved to win every debate I have debated on DDO," in which your opponent chooses a few debates that they think you deserved to lose, and you debate over those few.

Even though I probably agree with that statement lol that is just begging to be v-bombed as every single person I have ever debates (all 200+ of you) will surely find some bias in that resolution don't you think?
President of DDO