Contemplating deactivating my account

Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 9:26:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
... And starting a new one.

I feel like I've learned a lot since I first made this account and I'm ready to start over. My ELO is comparable to someone who's won just a couple of debates even though I've been in over 100 debates. I know that W/L and ELO isn't an objective measure of a good debater but it's a good indicator. Hopefully on a clean slate I'll be able to show that I've bettered myself since creating this account.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 9:31:31 AM
At 1/30/2015 9:26:25 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

I feel like I've learned a lot since I first made this account and I'm ready to start over. My ELO is comparable to someone who's won just a couple of debates even though I've been in over 100 debates. I know that W/L and ELO isn't an objective measure of a good debater but it's a good indicator. Hopefully on a clean slate I'll be able to show that I've bettered myself since creating this account.

When 16k first joined the site, he had a mixed record for his first 100 or so debates. I think it's more impressive that he stuck with it and became the awesome the debater he is, rather than giving up and trying to start from scratch.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 9:50:56 AM

I killed my earlier account since it had some debates that I wasn't proud of, and had some ones from when I was really new. It only had 20 debates though and just an elo of 2.6k, but if you want to start over I won't tell you it's a bad idea.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 10:41:17 AM
At 1/30/2015 9:31:31 AM, bluesteel wrote:

When 16k first joined the site, he had a mixed record for his first 100 or so debates. I think it's more impressive that he stuck with it and became the awesome the debater he is, rather than giving up and trying to start from scratch.

This. I have no actual debate experience, and I had a 40% win ratio for my first 50 or so debates and maybe 60-70% in my first 100, mostly against noobs, I think closer to 60. You'll get better
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 11:15:26 AM

Meh that's something to consider. I wish didn't have to choose between deactivating this account and starting another one to measure my progress.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 11:16:18 AM
At 1/30/2015 11:15:26 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

Meh that's something to consider. I wish didn't have to choose between deactivating this account and starting another one to measure my progress.

Then just don't start a new account and measure your progress against how many debates you win from now on.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 11:24:16 AM
At 1/30/2015 11:16:18 AM, bluesteel wrote:

Then just don't start a new account and measure your progress against how many debates you win from now on.

I could measure W/L easily but ELO is another story
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 11:25:24 AM
At 1/30/2015 11:24:16 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 1/30/2015 11:16:18 AM, bluesteel wrote:

I could measure W/L easily but ELO is another story

Your ELO actually scales faster on this account because you're below the starting ELO of 2000. Once you hit 2000, it'll scale at the same rate it would on a new account.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 11:39:10 AM

I can understand: a clean win record and new identity is really nice. Starting fresh has it's appeals.
You also get to choose a new awesome name.
Go for it! :D
Senpai has noticed you.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 11:42:21 AM

Who gives a f*ck what your w/l is, or your ELO. I sure as hell don't. It only makes it all the more satisfying beating people with high w/l or ELO that actually care about it.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 12:15:40 PM
At 1/30/2015 11:42:21 AM, Envisage wrote:

Who gives a f*ck what your w/l is, or your ELO. I sure as hell don't. It only makes it all the more satisfying beating people with high w/l or ELO that actually care about it.

Yes it's fun to make people rage
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 4:45:27 PM
At 1/30/2015 4:42:59 PM, Complicated_Mind wrote:
Regarding 16k; SWEET JESUS! Talk about progress, mad props.

Yeah.. now he's up and beating Roylatham and Danielle in serious debates. XO Mad madddd props.
Senpai has noticed you.
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 5:00:41 PM
A new account seems to diminish the pattern of growth you've had as a debater here.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 5:06:28 PM

I don't understand why people put so much emphasis on Elo... it's really only important if you want to vote on restricted debates. If you're a good debater, that should be valued much more than a fairly arbitrary rating.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 7:47:53 PM

Closing your account and opening a new one doesn't erase your past. You are only lying to yourself. What you are doing is called deception. All you are doing is lying about your real record.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 7:55:56 PM
At 1/30/2015 7:47:53 PM, sadolite wrote:

Closing your account and opening a new one doesn't erase your past. You are only lying to yourself. What you are doing is called deception. All you are doing is lying about your real record.

^ you can tell he is a hoot at parties
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 8:00:03 PM

I've thought about deactivating my account, although for other reasons, and restarting anew. Mainly because I'm not sure I like YYW anymore. It described a worldview I held at a particular time, but it doesn't really now. It's just sort of a relic of who I was, at a particular time in my life.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 8:05:52 PM
At 1/30/2015 8:00:03 PM, YYW wrote:

I've thought about deactivating my account, although for other reasons, and restarting anew. Mainly because I'm not sure I like YYW anymore. It described a worldview I held at a particular time, but it doesn't really now. It's just sort of a relic of who I was, at a particular time in my life.

But, just as a person can change their personality, so too can an account change what it represents. YYW represents a lot to me, and a lot of really good things.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 8:06:39 PM
At 1/30/2015 8:05:52 PM, bsh1 wrote:

But, just as a person can change their personality, so too can an account change what it represents. YYW represents a lot to me, and a lot of really good things.

that's how I feel about bsh1

and while we're on the subject of you... omg your new profile pic.... haha
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 8:07:23 PM
At 1/30/2015 8:06:39 PM, YYW wrote:

<3 I love you.

Do you like it?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 8:08:54 PM
At 1/30/2015 8:07:23 PM, bsh1 wrote:

<3 I love you.

I love you too <3

Do you like it?

I do. It's perfectly lascivious.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 8:11:38 PM
At 1/30/2015 8:08:54 PM, YYW wrote:

<3 I love you.

I love you too <3

<3

Do you like it?

IKR! And, it's a great pic as my gay marriage debate draws to a close.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 8:12:51 PM
At 1/30/2015 8:11:38 PM, bsh1 wrote:

<3 I love you.

I love you too <3

<3

Do you like it?

You are so cute.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 8:14:03 PM
At 1/30/2015 8:12:51 PM, YYW wrote:

Do you like it?

You are so cute.

You are way cuter :)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 8:14:22 PM
At 1/30/2015 8:14:03 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Do you like it?

You are so cute.

I would have to disagree...
Tsar of DDO
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 8:15:24 PM
At 1/30/2015 8:14:22 PM, YYW wrote:

Do you like it?

You are so cute.

You have derailed the thread and will now be banned by Airmax.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 8:16:20 PM
At 1/30/2015 4:45:27 PM, Beginner wrote:
At 1/30/2015 4:42:59 PM, Complicated_Mind wrote:
Regarding 16k; SWEET JESUS! Talk about progress, mad props.

Yeah.. now he's up and beating Roylatham and Danielle in serious debates. XO Mad madddd props.

I am thinking of other pros I should debate... ;D
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 8:16:39 PM
At 1/30/2015 8:15:24 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Do you like it?

You are so cute.

Death, thou shalt die.
Tsar of DDO
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 8:17:52 PM
At 1/30/2015 8:16:39 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/30/2015 8:15:24 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Do you like it?

You are so cute.

Death, thou shalt die.

Do not go gentle into that good night.