Jump to topic:

Incomplete debates

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 12:04:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have engaged in a number of incomplete debates. The site has interest to me, but I think this is a problem - its sure turning me off of it.

Is this endemic, or have I just been finding all the wrong debate partners?
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 12:22:04 PM
At 2/1/2015 12:04:39 PM, TBR wrote:
I have engaged in a number of incomplete debates. The site has interest to me, but I think this is a problem - its sure turning me off of it.

It really is all dependent on who you're up against. Some people are more invested in debating on this site than others, and sometimes there's just things that come up in the lives of those who debate here that make it impossible to finish. Forfeits are pretty common, I'll admit, but there are plenty of people on here who will commit to their debates fully and see them through.
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 12:42:25 PM

Avoid noobs and bad resolutions, and if you are the instigator, either set an ELO or make it impossible to accept and seek an opponent in the comments of your debate.

This should tremendously cut down on forfeits.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 1:55:55 PM

Limit those who can accept to 5 debates minimum and it may solve most of that
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 3:23:32 PM
As others have said, seek out more experienced debaters and your rate of completion will be much higher. There does seem to be a bit of an endemic though. Or maybe I'm just recently unlucky, or just debating too many noobs. But of late I keep getting forfeits. I even forfeit myself to encourage them to come back for the next round, but it rarely works.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)