Jump to topic:

Burden of proof

Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 8:13:41 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm kind of incredulous about the idea of Pro having the burden of proof and never Con, or at least that's what I've seen claimed a few times. I can see the instigator having the burden, or someone's been challenged to defend a statement of theirs, or if logic demands that one person has the burden. It seems a little silly that Con can challenge someone to a debate, especially a new person, and win simply by putting all of the burden on Pro.

I'm new here, and to formal debate, so I'm probably missing something. Is Pro-has-the-burden accepted here or are some people just saying anything to win?
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 8:38:32 AM
At 7/4/2010 8:13:41 AM, Yvette wrote:
I'm kind of incredulous about the idea of Pro having the burden of proof and never Con, or at least that's what I've seen claimed a few times. I can see the instigator having the burden, or someone's been challenged to defend a statement of theirs, or if logic demands that one person has the burden. It seems a little silly that Con can challenge someone to a debate, especially a new person, and win simply by putting all of the burden on Pro.

I'm new here, and to formal debate, so I'm probably missing something. Is Pro-has-the-burden accepted here or are some people just saying anything to win?

I don't debate outside of this website, so I have inferred that, in formal debate, the Burden of Proof lies on the affirmative.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 9:19:10 AM
I personally believe that the burden of proof lies with whoever the Instigator says it does; however, if the Instigator does not clarify, then it defaults to the Instigator.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 11:56:14 AM
There are different interpretations, and there will never be consensus. Thus, the best things you can do is to always present a positive case for your side. That way, you can maximize potential points. And in any case, it's good form.

Besides, one can debate the resolution "God exists" just as easily as one can debate the resolution "God does not exist." In these two debates, does the BoP suddenly shift? And why? They're debating the same thing!

So, like I said. It's always best to just present a case for your side, regardless of what your opponent says.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 12:03:59 PM
At 7/4/2010 11:56:14 AM, PoeJoe wrote:
Besides, one can debate the resolution "God exists" just as easily as one can debate the resolution "God does not exist." In these two debates, does the BoP suddenly shift? And why? They're debating the same thing!

There's a middle position.... which is available for Con in both cases.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."