Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

Why so many right wing adds of this site?

NoMagic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 12:06:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
From the NRA's adds, to the adds for Ben Carson for president, Christian universities (if such a thing exists), I see a lot of adds slanting politically right. Is this site run by a right leaning group? Why significantly more adds supporting the political right? Anyone?
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 12:15:31 PM
At 2/3/2015 12:06:44 PM, NoMagic wrote:
From the NRA's adds, to the adds for Ben Carson for president, Christian universities (if such a thing exists), I see a lot of adds slanting politically right. Is this site run by a right leaning group? Why significantly more adds supporting the political right? Anyone?

Because the left is too busy advertising on Upworthy, Huffinton Post, and the like?
NoMagic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 12:28:04 PM
At 2/3/2015 12:15:31 PM, KhaosMage wrote:

Because the left is too busy advertising on Upworthy, Huffinton Post, and the like?
So why do you think the right is attracted to this site? Huffinton Post is certainly a left leaning site. Would expect to see left leaning adds. Just like I would expect to see right leaning adds on Fox News. Yet I would guess this site is generally neutral. So why more adds leaning right? Is this a choice by the site managers? Or does the right want to be here for some reason?
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 12:32:18 PM
At 2/3/2015 12:28:04 PM, NoMagic wrote:

So why do you think the right is attracted to this site? Huffinton Post is certainly a left leaning site. Would expect to see left leaning adds. Just like I would expect to see right leaning adds on Fox News. Yet I would guess this site is generally neutral. So why more adds leaning right? Is this a choice by the site managers? Or does the right want to be here for some reason?

Well, the three ads I see are for Chevy, a different car, and for H&R Block. Nothing "right" about any of them. I'm sure the ads you see are here by either:
1. your web history
2. some algorithm based on the website's content

I don't see many political ads, except for a recurring few.
NoMagic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 1:28:48 PM
At 2/3/2015 12:32:18 PM, KhaosMage wrote:

Well, the three ads I see are for Chevy, a different car, and for H&R Block. Nothing "right" about any of them. I'm sure the ads you see are here by either:
1. your web history

I've thought about that. But if they are gearing them toward me, then they got the wrong person. Unless its an attempt to sway my opinion, which isn't going to happen. I'm fairly political though. So it could be the only political adds on this site are right wing, they know I'm political, so I get right wing adds. I guess that could be it. Seems odd that the left isn't included, for whatever reason. Just before I posted this response, right side add is a pro NRA add. I've seen a Ben Carson add today. And a who should the GOP run for president poll add. For me, I get plenty of right wing adds.
NoMagic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 1:30:56 PM
At 2/3/2015 1:28:48 PM, NoMagic wrote:

1. your web history

I've thought about that. But if they are gearing them toward me, then they got the wrong person. Unless its an attempt to sway my opinion, which isn't going to happen. I'm fairly political though. So it could be the only political adds on this site are right wing, they know I'm political, so I get right wing adds. I guess that could be it. Seems odd that the left isn't included, for whatever reason. Just before I posted this response, right side add is a pro NRA add. I've seen a Ben Carson add today. And a who should the GOP run for president poll add. For me, I get plenty of right wing adds.
Left side, right before this, "Wanna be a Pastor," add, right side, NRA add, top an insurance add. 2 of 3, right wing.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 2:02:32 PM

Right now I'm getting lawn chairs and a Muslim dating service. The Muslim dating service is probably because I continuously counter ignorance regarding Islamic history in the religious forum. Don't know why the lawn chairs are there, however.

It's probably because you post things having to do with the political right, or read threads addressing that.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 2:03:37 PM
HAHA, oh geez, I just got the NRA and Ben Carson ads for the first time, probably from reading and posting in this thread.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 2:17:06 PM

Republican lobbying groups (1) have massive surpluses of cash thanks to people like the Koch brothers, (2) desire to recruit young, impressionable people to their dark side, and (3) the specific kind of people they are trying to recruit are on, at least in some degree, this website.

I get shitty right-wing ads on Youtube all the time when I use Safari, which is why I really don't use Safari for Youtube anymore. But, Safari blocks all the ads on DDO, which I like. Not sure what attachment I'm running (other than basic ad-block) to make that happen.

But the thing to note is that the ads you see are based on your browsing history with respect to certain clients that AdSense has. Basically, if you go on an Google Ad Client's website, like Amazon for instance, it will haunt you. So, I see a lot of ads for Brooks Brothers and 7 for All Mankind jeans. Periodically, for hotels and plane tickets -depending on my browsing.
Tsar of DDO
NoMagic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 2:44:29 PM
At 2/3/2015 2:17:06 PM, YYW wrote:

Republican lobbying groups (1) have massive surpluses of cash thanks to people like the Koch brothers, (2) desire to recruit young, impressionable people to their dark side, and (3) the specific kind of people they are trying to recruit are on, at least in some degree, this website.

I get shitty right-wing ads on Youtube all the time when I use Safari, which is why I really don't use Safari for Youtube anymore. But, Safari blocks all the ads on DDO, which I like. Not sure what attachment I'm running (other than basic ad-block) to make that happen.

But the thing to note is that the ads you see are based on your browsing history with respect to certain clients that AdSense has. Basically, if you go on an Google Ad Client's website, like Amazon for instance, it will haunt you. So, I see a lot of ads for Brooks Brothers and 7 for All Mankind jeans. Periodically, for hotels and plane tickets -depending on my browsing.
I have a general understanding that they track your history. I bought a telescope online about 3 years ago. Once I bought it, I saw frequent adds for telescopes. What is a bit odd in this situation, I'm getting fed ads that are direct contradictions to what I would generally be viewing. This is where I begin to wonder, why am I getting right wing crap. Are they hoping I'm a sucker and fall for it? Does the website take a particular view? Just seems a bit odd to me.
NoMagic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 2:47:38 PM
At 2/3/2015 2:02:32 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Right now I'm getting lawn chairs and a Muslim dating service. The Muslim dating service is probably because I continuously counter ignorance regarding Islamic history in the religious forum. Don't know why the lawn chairs are there, however.

It's probably because you post things having to do with the political right, or read threads addressing that.
That's probably the case. What I find odd though, why no left slanting ads regarding those subjects. I argue against the conservative positions in general. So I get conservative ads? I would think I would get left wing ads. I also get the Asian girls looking for partners ads pretty frequently. Not sure what I'm doing to get those ads.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 6:14:00 PM

I have a bunch of Anarcho capitalist ads on mine. Maybe you're getting those advertisements because DDO, thinks you like freedom
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 6:14:41 PM

1. your web history

Wrong, those are all capitalist enterprises.
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 6:15:51 PM
At 2/3/2015 6:14:41 PM, Wylted wrote:

Wrong, those are all capitalist enterprises.
I wasn't referring to the ones I listed.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 6:17:51 PM
Don't worry the lobbying won't work. The rock the vote campaign that aims to recruit idiots will counter all of those ads and than some.
NoMagic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 7:31:08 PM
At 2/3/2015 6:14:00 PM, Wylted wrote:

I have a bunch of Anarcho capitalist ads on mine. Maybe you're getting those advertisements because DDO, thinks you like freedom
I like intelligence. So why on Earth would I get right wing ads?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 6:27:16 AM
At 2/3/2015 7:31:08 PM, NoMagic wrote:

Are you 44 and still a liberal?
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 12:05:10 PM

1. your web history
^^^^^^^^^
This. You hit the nail on the head, and I know for a fact that the ads are based on what previous searches, sites, etc., you've visited. For instance, if I do a google search for chevy trucks, I'll have a truck ad on this site the next day.

I ended up just downloading and using google adblocker since I use google chrome as my web browser. There are no ads here anymore for me.

Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 5:32:15 PM

You don't, it's the cookies on the site. You must see a lot of right winged stuff on the site and hence your cookies think your a right winger and thus you see those ads.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
NoMagic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 5:53:53 PM
At 2/4/2015 5:32:15 PM, lannan13 wrote:

You don't, it's the cookies on the site. You must see a lot of right winged stuff on the site and hence your cookies think your a right winger and thus you see those ads.
Well they got that wrong. Thanks for your response.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 5:55:31 PM
At 2/4/2015 5:53:53 PM, NoMagic wrote:
At 2/4/2015 5:32:15 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Well they got that wrong. Thanks for your response.

Welcome!
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 6:07:30 PM
At 2/3/2015 7:31:08 PM, NoMagic wrote:

Well put!
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
ashkan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 6:51:58 PM
It seems like when you go into a page about gun control or about gay marriage you seem to see ads about gun control or all gay cruises.