Jump to topic:

Rigging Debates and DDO Debate Ethics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 9:43:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This post refers to a recent debate by DK and Emilrose, found here: http://www.debate.org... Specifically, I want to talk about this comment, made by Mikal:

"I take full responsibility. I noted if anyone else tried to cvb last min i would have the debate swing. 3 votes came in so, blame me.

its amazing how a 5 point debate swings this hard over this elitism things about votes. I hope every stfus about it now and leaves it alone, because having people throw up 1 second votes to try and offset "bad" votes is just sht

Its always nice to level the playing field."

In the last 20 seconds of the debate, DK, who had been winning for days on end, lost a closely contest round, due in large part to Mikal soliciting votebombs on Emilrose's behalf. What is truly so deplorable about Mikal's actions is that DDO has a system for removing biased or bad votes. In a word, that system is Airmax. He removes votes that were poorly cast or failed to justify their decisions. Even so, most of the vote bombs in this debate were not cast against Emilrose, as Mikal claimed, but against DK. There is a vast disparity in vote quality between the two sets of voters. But, perhaps even more pernicious, was that Mikal did not merely seek to equalize the debate, but to give Emilrose a win over DK just because he felt DK got unfair votes. The whole purpose of a CVB is to equalize, not to "swing it the other way." Frankly, Mikal crossed a massive line.

Personally, I find this to be a banworthy offense--it is beyond contemptuous.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 9:45:14 PM
I believe (at least) a temp-ban is in order...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 9:45:33 PM
Wait...what exactly did Mikal do?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 9:46:58 PM
At 2/3/2015 9:45:33 PM, thett3 wrote:

He solicited votebombs against DK.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 9:46:59 PM
You realize he had 3 or 4 votes come in in the past hour saying

" Dont delete this , i promise to vote by midnight or i promise to vote soon" which the only intent was to make him win upon request.

Yeah I am going to offset those. I stated that clearly in the comments as well. I even said if he left it alone I would leave it alone. Yet votes trying to award him a free win came in after I notated that was vigilantism. I leveled the playing field

if you dont like it sorry, but that deserved a fair level especially with votes declaring they would vote later in an attempt to steal a win.

If thats a ban worthy offense , I go for a few days with a smile lol
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 9:49:41 PM
At 2/3/2015 9:46:58 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I just gave Airmax a PM I got from Mikal.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 9:49:59 PM

To what end?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 9:50:30 PM
Also punishment will go both ways

I have pms where he was asking people to vote last min as well

with votes rolling in saying

"RFD later tonight after the debate ends"

Extend the blame both ways. I'll take any punishment that comes my way, but turn about is fair play. If im offsetting bad votes, then it extends both directions.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 9:53:35 PM
At 2/3/2015 9:49:59 PM, thett3 wrote:

To what end?

To making Emilrose win.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 9:55:55 PM
At 2/3/2015 9:46:59 PM, Mikal wrote:

" Dont delete this , i promise to vote by midnight or i promise to vote soon" which the only intent was to make him win upon request.

Firstly, that is not at all true. Remember my FTO debate with whiteflame, where Raisor cast a vote that said the EXACT same thing? You had no issue with that. Saying that you will write and RFD soon is NOT the same thing as being biased or voting unfairly.

Secondly, Airmax contacted everyone who did that and DEMANDED that they write proper RFDs, so you had NO excuse for what you did anyway.

Thirdly, I don't care if someone was voted for unfairly. That doesn't mean the other side gets an autowin. It means you report the vote, or you CVB to equalize the debate, not to "swing it to the other side." Swining the debate morphs your intent from CVBing to outright votebombing. You were not better than anyone who votebombed DK's debate.

And, you solicited those votebombs out of no regard for who actually won the debate, but only out of a regard for you personal sympathy toward Emilrose.

Yeah I am going to offset those. I stated that clearly in the comments as well. I even said if he left it alone I would leave it alone. Yet votes trying to award him a free win came in after I notated that was vigilantism. I leveled the playing field

You went far beyond "leveling the playing field." You circumvented moderator authority and undertook a for of vigilante justice that is no longer tolerated on DDO. The whole reason we have mods is to avoid votebombing wars, and, by circumventing that process, you undermined the legitimacy of the voting process.

And I don't care if you gave a heads up. It was categorically unacceptable and condemnable.

You should go for a few months at least.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 9:56:23 PM
"im actually asking you to vote for pro

5 points and never repeat it

HEs delib gettign people to vote for him and i want to offset it"

-Mikal, to me, with about 10 minutes left in the voting period

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 9:56:59 PM

To what end?

He said he could get 30 people to "vote for Pro"... Than mentioned getting 20 people if cvb didn't stop (because you know cvb is my fault <_<)... Than said he was responsible for the last 10 seconds of voting, where I got 10+ updates on votes, all on Pro's behalf.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 9:58:36 PM

To what end?

He felt that DK got some unfair votes (Emilrose got far more unfair votes than DK, btw.)

So, rather than going to Airmax or reporting the votes, he decided to round up a bunch of twits and votebomb the crap out of DK.

CVBing is designed to EQUALIZE the bad vote to make it as if the bad vote never was cast. Mikal and his cohort did not just equalize, they gave DK the loss. They went beyond the boundaries of acceptability, and gave DK the loss for something that wasn't found in the text of the debate.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 9:59:14 PM
At 2/3/2015 9:56:23 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Soliciting votes for any particular faction is prohibited by DDO rules.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 10:00:19 PM
At 2/3/2015 9:55:55 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Firstly, that is not at all true. Remember my FTO debate with whiteflame, where Raisor cast a vote that said the EXACT same thing? You had no issue with that. Saying that you will write and RFD soon is NOT the same thing as being biased or voting unfairly.

Secondly, Airmax contacted everyone who did that and DEMANDED that they write proper RFDs, so you had NO excuse for what you did anyway.

Thirdly, I don't care if someone was voted for unfairly. That doesn't mean the other side gets an autowin. It means you report the vote, or you CVB to equalize the debate, not to "swing it to the other side." Swining the debate morphs your intent from CVBing to outright votebombing. You were not better than anyone who votebombed DK's debate.

And, you solicited those votebombs out of no regard for who actually won the debate, but only out of a regard for you personal sympathy toward Emilrose.

You went far beyond "leveling the playing field." You circumvented moderator authority and undertook a for of vigilante justice that is no longer tolerated on DDO. The whole reason we have mods is to avoid votebombing wars, and, by circumventing that process, you undermined the legitimacy of the voting process.

And I don't care if you gave a heads up. It was categorically unacceptable and condemnable.

It will go both ways if I am

IF someone vote bombed me like that Id laugh at them. I have been around long enough to know how to deal with it and get it gone, or something in to counter it. There are voting politics on the site whether people admit it or not. Asking someone to vote last min with a pledged vote is the same thing as asking someone to vote for you. Just because you don't directly state it does not change that

That's the same thing I did to level the playing field, and which I did not start. I will be happy to level it out with an unfair disadvantage. When you have 15 point of pledges coming in to steal a win, there is an issue.

Just because someone thinks someone won a debate, does not give them the right to change the outcome of the debate with pledges. I can play that as well, as I did.

Do I regret offsetting the BS...no

I'm just honest about it
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 10:01:06 PM
At 2/3/2015 9:59:14 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/3/2015 9:56:23 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Soliciting votes for any particular faction is prohibited by DDO rules.

Yep.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 10:01:16 PM

Sh*t son leave me out of this
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 10:02:19 PM
At 2/3/2015 10:01:16 PM, Raisor wrote:

Sh*t son leave me out of this

I am not critiquing you...Just using Mikal's acceptance of that vote as part of my case. But, sure, I'll leave you out of it going forward.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 10:04:09 PM
I literally can't understand what Mikal said lol. That's the accent that makes the girls hot.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 10:06:39 PM

Mikal, that is directed at me. Look in the damn comments and see the RFD I spent an hour on.

if you dont like it sorry, but that deserved a fair level especially with votes declaring they would vote later in an attempt to steal a win.

"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 10:06:47 PM
At 2/3/2015 10:04:09 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I literally can't understand what Mikal said lol. That's the accent that makes the girls hot.

+5 for selling your thread lol
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 10:07:27 PM
At 2/3/2015 10:00:19 PM, Mikal wrote:

IF someone vote bombed me like that Id laugh at them. I have been around long enough to know how to deal with it and get it gone, or something in to counter it. There are voting politics on the site whether people admit it or not. Asking someone to vote last min with a pledged vote is the same thing as asking someone to vote for you. Just because you don't directly state it does not change that

Do you have evidence that people were asked to vote for DK? Why does that equate to asking someone to explicitly vote for you. Look at Ragnar--he declined to vote at all due to the time crunch. Just because it is last minute, doesn't mean that it is soliciting votebombs.

You, on the other hand, solicited more votebombs than anyone in this whole fiasco. And you didn't just do it implicitly, you did it explicitly.

That's the same thing I did to level the playing field, and which I did not start. I will be happy to level it out with an unfair disadvantage. When you have 15 point of pledges coming in to steal a win, there is an issue.

DK was always winning until a torrent of votebombs came in on Emilrose's behalf. If anyone stole a win, it was her.

And you did far more than level the playing field. That implies you equalized something. You freaking rigged the debate for Pro.

And that is why you are a horrible member of this site.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 10:08:46 PM
At 2/3/2015 10:06:39 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

Mikal, that is directed at me. Look in the damn comments and see the RFD I spent an hour on.

not just at you

Quite a few rfds came in during the past hour. That is not a targeted focus. It was within 3 points then nearly 5 RFDS come in the last hour saying "im going to vote by midnight" or im going to vote later

no matter how you look at that, its blatantly obvious. I just did the same thing and was honest about it
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 10:09:06 PM
At 2/3/2015 10:04:09 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Nah mate, girls love my accent. .
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 10:09:55 PM
At 2/3/2015 10:08:46 PM, Mikal wrote:

not just at you

Quite a few rfds came in during the past hour. That is not a targeted focus. It was within 3 points then nearly 5 RFDS come in the last hour saying "im going to vote by midnight" or im going to vote later

no matter how you look at that, its blatantly obvious. I just did the same thing and was honest about it

Pretty sure I was the only one who said "12:00 DDO time." My point is, the people who said that actually DID post an RFD, so you going up against that is not fair in this given situation.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 10:12:00 PM
At 2/3/2015 10:07:27 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/3/2015 10:00:19 PM, Mikal wrote:

Do you have evidence that people were asked to vote for DK? Why does that equate to asking someone to explicitly vote for you. Look at Ragnar--he declined to vote at all due to the time crunch. Just because it is last minute, doesn't mean that it is soliciting votebombs.

You, on the other hand, solicited more votebombs than anyone in this whole fiasco. And you didn't just do it implicitly, you did it explicitly.

DK was always winning until a torrent of votebombs came in on Emilrose's behalf. If anyone stole a win, it was her.

And you did far more than level the playing field. That implies you equalized something. You freaking rigged the debate for Pro.

And that is why you are a horrible member of this site.

Do I have evidence? When it's a 3 point debate and you have 3 - 5 RFDS saying " I am going to vote later, don't remove this" or something along those lines, its painfully obvious.

I don't need evidence, have max look through pms. I would bet anything, that you will see like 20 messages going on from DK saying.

" Yo this debate is close, blah blah blah"

can you vote on this as I think I won

That is indirectly asking someone to vote for you, and yes it happens and yes I did the same thing.

i'm happy to have offset it
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 10:12:22 PM
He's not even President anymore and he's still being attacked...
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 10:14:54 PM
At 2/3/2015 10:09:55 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
At 2/3/2015 10:08:46 PM, Mikal wrote:

not just at you

Pretty sure I was the only one who said "12:00 DDO time." My point is, the people who said that actually DID post an RFD, so you going up against that is not fair in this given situation.

Not really

the debate is over at a targeted time frame. When your pledging to vote on a debate that is unfinished, that is literally breaking rules as well. AS airmax has always noted, an RFD has to be complete when you post it.

Those votes came in specifically upon request. Which don't care about and it's cool. I'm just saying, I leveled the playing the field
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 10:14:58 PM
At 2/3/2015 10:12:22 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
To all the people fighting a hard battle out there - life's giving you a pretty hard beating. There's no sugarcoating that, but there's no shadow that's free of light. When life sneers at you and asks, "Ready to go again?" - Raise your hand. Reach out to victory. Don't give in.

---Help Bsh and YYW see each other---
http://www.gofundme.com...
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 10:15:39 PM
At 2/3/2015 10:14:58 PM, carriead20 wrote:
At 2/3/2015 10:12:22 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Dude I love hate, its chill