Jump to topic:

While we're talking about RFDs...

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 6:57:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have a problem. I'm not the smartest person ever, so I find long RFDs confusing, overly complicated, and therefore tedious, annoying, and boring. Is it possible to have RFDs that are complete, but not incredibly long winded and confusing?

Does anyone else have this problem?
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 6:58:59 PM
At 2/4/2015 6:57:39 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
I have a problem. I'm not the smartest person ever, so I find long RFDs confusing, overly complicated, and therefore tedious, annoying, and boring. Is it possible to have RFDs that are complete, but not incredibly long winded and confusing?

You're okay just do your best and ignore the comment section after your vote is placed.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 6:59:59 PM

Yes, it is possible on most debates.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 7:01:16 PM
At 2/4/2015 6:58:59 PM, Wylted wrote:

You're okay just do your best and ignore the comment section after your vote is placed.

Okay, thanks. :)

But once on my abortion debate somebody left a long RFD and it confused and frustrated me so much I didn't read it. XD
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 7:04:16 PM
At 2/4/2015 7:01:16 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

But once on my abortion debate somebody left a long RFD and it confused and frustrated me so much I didn't read it. XD

Just ask them for a shortened version that gets more to the point and I think most people will just give you the nuts and bolts so you know how to apply that to future debates.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 7:04:34 PM
At 2/4/2015 6:59:59 PM, bsh1 wrote:

That's good. I hope more people know that. XD

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 7:04:42 PM

That was bladerunner. And while you're under no obligation to read his RFD, if you do take the time, I think you'll find that he gave you a bunch of tips on how to improve your argument for next time.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 7:05:58 PM
At 2/4/2015 7:04:34 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Lol... :)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 7:07:02 PM
At 2/4/2015 7:04:42 PM, bluesteel wrote:

That was bladerunner. And while you're under no obligation to read his RFD, if you do take the time, I think you'll find that he gave you a bunch of tips on how to improve your argument for next time.

Okay. :)

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 7:08:04 PM
Yeah I recommend reading Bladerunner's RFD's but if you can't because of a short attention span or personality type or something, most people will be nice enough to just give you a short message on what to improve in the future.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 7:08:17 PM
At 2/4/2015 7:05:58 PM, bsh1 wrote:

It's frustrating. I like straightforward, direct RFDs that aren't bogged down with unnecessary details.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 7:09:21 PM
At 2/4/2015 7:08:17 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

It's frustrating. I like straightforward, direct RFDs that aren't bogged down with unnecessary details.

Usually a paragraph will do, at least IMO.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 7:10:55 PM

Also, saying you're "not the smartest person" is a horrible limiting belief to hold on to.

== Tony Robbins on Limiting Beliefs ==

What is a belief? It"s a feeling of certainty about what something means. The challenge is that most of our beliefs are generalizations about our past, based on our interpretations of painful and pleasurable experiences.

The challenge is, most of us do not consciously decide what we"re going to believe. Instead, often our beliefs are misinterpretations of past events. How do ideas turn into beliefs? Think of an idea like a tabletop with no legs. Without any legs, the tabletop won"t even stand up by itself. Belief, on the other hand, has legs. To believe something, you have references to support the idea"specific experiences that back up the belief. These are the legs that make your tabletop solid and that make you certain about your beliefs.

For example, if you believe you"re extremely intelligent, you likely have a lot of references to back it up. Maybe you did well in school, people always tell you how smart you are, you catch onto things quickly, etc. You can find experiences to back up almost any belief. The key is to make sure that you"re consciously aware of the beliefs you"re creating. If they don"t empower you, change them.

All personal breakthroughs begin with a change in beliefs. The moment we begin to honestly question our beliefs and the experiences we assign to them, we no longer feel absolutely certain about them. This opens the door to replacing your old, disempowering beliefs with new beliefs that support you in the direction you want to go.

If you develop the absolute sense of certainty that powerful beliefs provide, then you can get yourself to accomplish virtually anything, including those things other people are certain are impossible.

Here are ten examples of empowering beliefs to try on:

1. The past does not equal the future.
2. There is always a way if I"m committed.
3. There are no failures, only outcomes"as long as I learn something I"m succeeding.
4. If I can"t, I must; if I must, I can.
5. Everything happens for a reason and a purpose that serves me.
6. I find great joy in little things" a smile" a flower" a sunset.
7. I give more of myself to others than anyone expects.
8. I create my own reality and am responsible for what I create.
9. If I"m confused, I"m about to learn something.
10. Every day above ground is a great day.

tl;dr You only think you're not very smart because you have reference points back to times in your life when you struggled with a particular subject, or a terrible teacher told you that you were slow, or you found a physics problem boring. If you reframed and started thinking you were smart, you might remember that there were subjects you were good at, that not everything was boring, and some teachers saw potential in you. It's partially about framing, but even if you never remember positive reference points like that, as soon as you stop telling yourself you're not very smart, that allows you to learn and seize opportunities.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 7:12:48 PM
At 2/4/2015 7:09:21 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/4/2015 7:08:17 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Yeah, that's what I think.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 7:16:20 PM
At 2/4/2015 7:12:48 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 2/4/2015 7:09:21 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Yeah, that's what I think.

Agreed.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 7:17:30 PM
At 2/4/2015 7:10:55 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Also, saying you're "not the smartest person" is a horrible limiting belief to hold on to.

Thank you, but I'm making an observation. I'm easily overwhelmed and confused and I have difficulty understanding complicated stuff. So I'm acknowledging that this may be just a problem that bothers me. That's all. I really don't care about my intelligence levels, honestly. It's not important to me. :)

What is a belief? It"s a feeling of certainty about what something means. The challenge is that most of our beliefs are generalizations about our past, based on our interpretations of painful and pleasurable experiences.

The challenge is, most of us do not consciously decide what we"re going to believe. Instead, often our beliefs are misinterpretations of past events. How do ideas turn into beliefs? Think of an idea like a tabletop with no legs. Without any legs, the tabletop won"t even stand up by itself. Belief, on the other hand, has legs. To believe something, you have references to support the idea"specific experiences that back up the belief. These are the legs that make your tabletop solid and that make you certain about your beliefs.

For example, if you believe you"re extremely intelligent, you likely have a lot of references to back it up. Maybe you did well in school, people always tell you how smart you are, you catch onto things quickly, etc. You can find experiences to back up almost any belief. The key is to make sure that you"re consciously aware of the beliefs you"re creating. If they don"t empower you, change them.

All personal breakthroughs begin with a change in beliefs. The moment we begin to honestly question our beliefs and the experiences we assign to them, we no longer feel absolutely certain about them. This opens the door to replacing your old, disempowering beliefs with new beliefs that support you in the direction you want to go.

If you develop the absolute sense of certainty that powerful beliefs provide, then you can get yourself to accomplish virtually anything, including those things other people are certain are impossible.

3. There are no failures, only outcomes"as long as I learn something I"m succeeding.

tl;dr You only think you're not very smart because you have reference points back to times in your life when you struggled with a particular subject, or a terrible teacher told you that you were slow, or you found a physics problem boring. If you reframed and started thinking you were smart, you might remember that there were subjects you were good at, that not everything was boring, and some teachers saw potential in you. It's partially about framing, but even if you never remember positive reference points like that, as soon as you stop telling yourself you're not very smart, that allows you to learn and seize opportunities.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 7:22:06 PM
At 2/4/2015 7:17:30 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Thank you, but I'm making an observation. I'm easily overwhelmed and confused and I have difficulty understanding complicated stuff. So I'm acknowledging that this may be just a problem that bothers me. That's all. I really don't care about my intelligence levels, honestly. It's not important to me. :)

It's an interesting analysis, though.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 7:59:39 PM
I think the site has a healthy mix of long and short RFD's. Don't be intimidated by the longer ones; you can usually say what you need within the space of the vote box.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 10:51:39 PM
At 2/4/2015 7:22:06 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 2/4/2015 7:17:30 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

It's an interesting analysis, though.
It is.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam