Jump to topic:

DDO Lounge

Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 4:40:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
NOTE: this idea is currently not a go. It is in drafting stages and I hope to gain some support before it goes live.

Introduction

The DDO Lounge is a gambling ring, where gamblers play the odds against each other by betting on high-tier debates. Original idea by ClassicRobert here: http://www.debate.org... . I want to revive and refining the idea.

The betting type will be Parimutuel betting http://en.wikipedia.org... , similar to horse race bets. Each better places a bet on one side of a debate. The people who bet on the winning side will receive a reward from the loser's pool proportional to their own bet. The pay off for either side is calculated by the ratio of the opposing side to the bettor's side. The rake ("tax") is 0% since no one is making a profit.

For example, say person A bets 10 value on Pro, person B bets 5 value on Pro, and person C bets 30 value on Con, then the odds of Pro:Con is 1:2, or about 33%:67%. The pay of for "Pro" bettors is 2/1=2. Person A would in this case get 20 value in addition to his 10 value bet, and person B would get 10 value in addition his 5 value bet, while person C loses his 30; notice that 20+10=30.

Mechanics

Value

The amount of value each person starts with will be 100 plus the number of votes they have cast at the beginning of a Season when they place their first bet. This may have the added effect of promoting voting.

Debates

Debates will be selected as they come, with the expectant number of debates to be around about 3 or 4 a week. Debates will be selected based on their potential quality (in reference to debater Elos, for example) by a panel of judges.

Seasons

In order to make the betting more periodical and less monopolistic, bets will be divided into seasons. Each season will be 3 months (with the first season starting if and when this endeavor takes off). A debate's season bracket will depend on it's STARTING date (NOT acceptance date).

2 winners and 2 runner-ups will be announced at the end of every season AFTER every debate of that season has concluded and are in post-voting period. 1 winner and 1 runner-up for most value gained; and 1 winner and 1 runner-up for most percentage of value gained.

Betting Rules

Bets should be placed with a SIDE (Pro/Con, or corresponding usernames), and VALUE.

A debate will be eligible to be bet on BETWEEN THE TIME THAT BOTH DEBATERS HAVE ACCEPTED AND WHEN THE FIRST ARGUMENTS HAVE BEEN POSTED. This effectively precludes all debates with R1 arguments.

The following people are forbidden to bet on debates, or if they did, their bet will be voided:
- calculations managers
- persons on the panel who picked the debate
- a participant in the debate
- persons who vote on the debate (this is exempt if the voter casts ONLY an "agreement" vote in place of a valued vote to express sentiment).

A debate will be disqualified for the following reasons:
- evidence of stacking or throwing
- ANY forfeits/concessions, by system or by writing.
0x5f3759df
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 4:41:30 PM
Feedback/Recruitment

Firstly, I would like people to give feedback to this idea. That last attempt did not take off for various reasons that may also plague this one. If not enough people are willing to participate or strongly oppose the idea, I will call it off.

Second, if this idea does take off, I would like a few people to aid in managing the processes. Preferably, I need 3 to 5 people (slots can rotate in case selectors wish to place bets) selecting debates, 1 or 2 people to help me write a program to calculate the odds (Java, C#, or Excel coders are preferable), and another 1 or 2 people to help me keep track of all the debates and bets and pay outs.

Recruitment List

SELECTORS:

CODERS:

TRACKERS:
0x5f3759df
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 5:59:05 PM
I am highly interested.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 7:52:15 PM
At 2/6/2015 7:32:56 PM, Raisor wrote:
Does betting prohibit you from voting, lobbying for others to vote, or in any way trying to influence the debate?

Betting doesn't technically prohibits you from voting: it is not against the rules for you to vote on the debate if you really wanted to, but if you do your bet will be retroactively withheld.

You can still try to influence the debate in constructive ways such as providing the debaters with advise and such, but things that are already against DDO rules such as soliciting votes for one side is not allowed.
0x5f3759df