Jump to topic:

Dear DDO, a moment:

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 9:09:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm sorry--this really belongs in the Personal forum. But given that sometimes things slip through the cracks there, and given my previous status as president and that I'm still, as far as I know, an assistant moderator, I thought I might be okay to say a few things here. Open book, and all that.

First, I'd like to say that, while I'm pretty open about my life and such, and a lot of you on here know my real name and such, please keep known details out of this thread because it's not just about me, it's also about my wife, and for some reason I feel the need to say that in a distancing thing that may not make sense but is my request anyway. . Anyway.

I've been quiet somewhat lately. The company I work for is gearing up for layoffs, and simultaneously has taken money owed to employees, which has resulted in close to a strike situation, a dynamic where we're losing our jobs even as we threaten to strike over losing what we're owed. Regardless of anyone's opinion of current labor relations in the US, I hope everyone'd understand that it's certainly stressful and has left me little "leisure" time, given that I'm one of the union reps fielding calls about strikes and about layoffs both at the same time.

Simultaneous to that, Mrs. Bladerunner has been having issues as well for which she has been seeing a professional (she has for some time, but things have been not awesome of particularly lately).

I have tried to stay up on any responsibilities I have with the site despite everything that's going on.

Unfortunately, Mrs. Bladerunner's issues with her disorder reached the point where, last night, I had to take her to the ER. She is physically fine, however, she needed some surgery and she is not coming home for several days because she will not be released by the staff there--despite the normal rules regarding 72 hours, apparently there are special "weekend" rules that mean Monday is the earliest that will happen.

So the point of this personal s*** is just that I have to ask for some patience if I suck more than the usual amount, and if I have been sucking more lately I hope this makes some sense.

I don't have much else to say and I probably shouldn't even be getting this personal (particularly on the DDO, rather than Personal, sections). I just...I don't know. I wanted to say something. And I do love this place, so I do find myself here obviously when I'm normal, adn when I'm off-kilter I find myself wanting to be here, even if I'm not being useful here, despite my normal desire to be useful. I hope I'm still doing enough, but I suspect that I really might not be. So. Yeah. To quote Sling Blade: That's all I ahve to say 'bout that.

I'm sorry, again, to post this in the wrong place--I spent entirely too long debating it and said "f*** it". For those who generally bemoan the attention-seeking nature of Perosnal posts in the DDO section, you're probably right but please cut me a bit of slakc.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 9:21:30 PM
At 2/5/2015 9:09:51 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

You got my hope and support. Take care of bid'ness at home.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 9:25:15 PM
I'm sorry--this really belongs in the Personal forum. But given that sometimes things slip through the cracks there, and given my previous status as president and that I'm still, as far as I know, an assistant moderator, I thought I might be okay to say a few things here. Open book, and all that.

First, I'd like to say that, while I'm pretty open about my life and such, and a lot of you on here know my real name and such, please keep known details out of this thread because it's not just about me, it's also about my wife, and for some reason I feel the need to say that in a distancing thing that may not make sense but is my request anyway. . Anyway.

I've been quiet somewhat lately. The company I work for is gearing up for layoffs, and simultaneously has taken money owed to employees, which has resulted in close to a strike situation, a dynamic where we're losing our jobs even as we threaten to strike over losing what we're owed. Regardless of anyone's opinion of current labor relations in the US, I hope everyone'd understand that it's certainly stressful and has left me little "leisure" time, given that I'm one of the union reps fielding calls about strikes and about layoffs both at the same time.

Simultaneous to that, Mrs. Bladerunner has been having issues as well for which she has been seeing a professional (she has for some time, but things have been not awesome of particularly lately).

I have tried to stay up on any responsibilities I have with the site despite everything that's going on.

Unfortunately, Mrs. Bladerunner's issues with her disorder reached the point where, last night, I had to take her to the ER. She is physically fine, however, she needed some surgery and she is not coming home for several days because she will not be released by the staff there--despite the normal rules regarding 72 hours, apparently there are special "weekend" rules that mean Monday is the earliest that will happen.

So the point of this personal s*** is just that I have to ask for some patience if I suck more than the usual amount, and if I have been sucking more lately I hope this makes some sense.

I don't have much else to say and I probably shouldn't even be getting this personal (particularly on the DDO, rather than Personal, sections). I just...I don't know. I wanted to say something. And I do love this place, so I do find myself here obviously when I'm normal, adn when I'm off-kilter I find myself wanting to be here, even if I'm not being useful here, despite my normal desire to be useful. I hope I'm still doing enough, but I suspect that I really might not be. So. Yeah. To quote Sling Blade: That's all I ahve to say 'bout that.

I'm sorry, again, to post this in the wrong place--I spent entirely too long debating it and said "f*** it". For those who generally bemoan the attention-seeking nature of Perosnal posts in the DDO section, you're probably right but please cut me a bit of slakc.

This belongs in the Personal forum.

In all seriousness, though, I hope Mrs. Bladerunner will recover soon and your strike situation will be resolved as well. Take care and update us again soon!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 9:47:39 PM
At 2/5/2015 9:21:30 PM, Zaradi wrote:

You got my hope and support. Take care of bid'ness at home.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 9:57:47 PM
*hugs*

Blade, you never have and never will suck. We support you, and you are a great person. If you ever need anything, let me know.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 10:01:19 PM
*hug*
Definitely praying for you and your wife. I wish I could help.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 10:04:19 PM
At 2/5/2015 9:57:47 PM, bsh1 wrote:
*hugs*

Blade, you never have and never will suck. We support you, and you are a great person. If you ever need anything, let me know.
Tsar of DDO
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 10:21:16 PM
Good luck with the drama man! I wish nothing but the best for you!
To all the people fighting a hard battle out there - life's giving you a pretty hard beating. There's no sugarcoating that, but there's no shadow that's free of light. When life sneers at you and asks, "Ready to go again?" - Raise your hand. Reach out to victory. Don't give in.

---Help Bsh and YYW see each other---
http://www.gofundme.com...
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 10:21:27 PM
Someone once told me that sometimes your work life is going terribly and your home life sustains you and sometimes you home life is on the rocks and your work life gives you something to productive to feel good about and take your mind off things.

Its pure sh*t when you're squeezed from both ends. Nothing anyone can say to change bad situations, all you can do is keep going like Churchill said- when you're going through hell, keep going.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 10:23:54 PM
I think that considering your genuine character and very charitable contributions to DDO, we can let this one slide :)

For you, I sincerely hope everything works out, because it's not fair that one of the good guys suffers like this.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 10:28:20 PM
At 2/5/2015 10:23:54 PM, Zarroette wrote:
For you, I sincerely hope everything works out, because it's not fair that one of the good guys suffers like this.

Nobody deserves to suffer...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 10:31:43 PM
Blade, thank you for your service to this, you have certainly made it a better place. I hope your finicial situation improves and I also hope that your wife gets better.
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 10:47:08 PM
God bless you and your wife Blade.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 10:48:04 PM
At 2/5/2015 10:28:20 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Really? Here, in this thread?
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 10:48:14 PM
At 2/5/2015 10:04:19 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/5/2015 9:57:47 PM, bsh1 wrote:
*hugs*

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 10:49:54 PM
At 2/5/2015 10:48:04 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

I wish the best to anyone that is going through bad times, is all I'm saying.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 10:50:44 PM
At 2/5/2015 10:49:54 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I agree 110%. I just don't think this is the place to flame with Zarroette.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 10:52:00 PM
At 2/5/2015 10:50:44 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

That was not my intent.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 10:59:01 PM
We all <3 you

more than you'd probably expect, being the modest type of person you are
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 11:42:00 PM

The normal amount is zero; I can forgive you if the relative vacuum gauge pressure exerted by your person creeps into the positive, though I highly doubt the likeliness of that happening. I wish you the best of luck.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2015 11:54:49 PM
Thank you, everyone, from the bottom of my generally cold black heart. I really do appreciate it. There are many things I'm good at, and crises I can manage--recently got to save a life, in point of fact, so woo for that--this is not my bestest moment, and I really appreciate you all.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 12:09:56 AM
At 2/5/2015 10:50:44 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

I didn't think so either, so I ignored him. This thread is about, and should only be about DDO's support for Bladerunner.
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 12:12:10 AM
Hope everything works out. I think you'd be a good crisis person so I'm pretty sure it will. Don't worry. DDO time works differently from real life, so you can be gone for a real lifetime and come back here and it's as if less than a minute passed.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 12:34:57 AM
The night is darkest just before the dawn. Things will get better and I wish you the best.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 12:52:25 AM
I sincerely hope that things get better for you. You deserve as much.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 6:13:06 AM
At 2/5/2015 11:54:49 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Thank you, everyone, from the bottom of my generally cold black heart. I really do appreciate it. There are many things I'm good at, and crises I can manage--recently got to save a life, in point of fact, so woo for that--this is not my bestest moment, and I really appreciate you all.

I'm going through a similar thing right now with my fiance. Thank God (figure of speech), her work is understanding. Let me know if you need anybody to talk to.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 8:20:15 AM

I hope things work out at your job and that Mrs. Bladerunner makes a speedy recovery.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)