Jump to topic:

Elo takes a while to change

Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2015 10:11:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I've noticed that once I begin winning or losing a debate, me elo stays the same as it was before. If I go to bed and wake up the next day it usually has changed by then, even if nothing has happened since. Does anyone know why elo doesn't change immediately? I think it must take a while for it to process it and calculate your new elo.
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2015 10:24:15 PM
At 2/7/2015 10:11:47 PM, Varrack wrote:
I've noticed that once I begin winning or losing a debate, me elo stays the same as it was before. If I go to bed and wake up the next day it usually has changed by then, even if nothing has happened since. Does anyone know why elo doesn't change immediately? I think it must take a while for it to process it and calculate your new elo.

I think it's because the elo score is such an important indicator of a members actual skill levels and such. So, there are literally tons of checks and balances necessary to maintain the system's integrity. It's only done in the interest of fairness to you and to all the other members. It's the price we pay for such a reliable indicator.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2015 10:44:15 PM
At 2/7/2015 10:24:15 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

I think it's because the elo score is such an important indicator of a members actual skill levels and such. So, there are literally tons of checks and balances necessary to maintain the system's integrity. It's only done in the interest of fairness to you and to all the other members. It's the price we pay for such a reliable indicator.

Lol, stop joking. He's looking for actual answers.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2015 10:59:06 PM

The answer lies within your question. It takes some time for the system to update, just as how it doesn't immediately show that you are *offline* even though you've logged off. It's just a system that takes time to update certain things.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Complicated_Mind
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 1:24:20 PM

My question is is how are you beating that dude in the gun control debate with a 3 thousand something Elo, and I beat you, and my Elo only went up one point D;<.

Regardless the system is flawed and it's rare anyone takes it seriously. How fast it updates is pretty irrelevant it seems.

I imagine it'd take more effort to update everyone's Elo instantly than Juggle would ever put in anyway.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 2:23:36 PM
At 2/8/2015 1:24:20 PM, Complicated_Mind wrote:

My question is is how are you beating that dude in the gun control debate with a 3 thousand something Elo, and I beat you, and my Elo only went up one point D;<.

Regardless the system is flawed and it's rare anyone takes it seriously. How fast it updates is pretty irrelevant it seems.

I imagine it'd take more effort to update everyone's Elo instantly than Juggle would ever put in anyway.

My elo was 0 when you beat me, so I can't imagine that you would have gotten much. I found the equation from an older forum:

W = winner's original ELO
L = loser's original ELO
D = change in ELO

D = 100*(W+9L)/10W

And there is a 25 point instigator advantage (meaning the instigator gets +25 and the contender gets -25).
Complicated_Mind
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 4:49:10 PM
At 2/8/2015 2:23:36 PM, Varrack wrote:

My elo was 0 when you beat me, so I can't imagine that you would have gotten much. I found the equation from an older forum:

L = loser's original ELO
D = change in ELO

D = 100*(W+9L)/10W

And there is a 25 point instigator advantage (meaning the instigator gets +25 and the contender gets -25).

Actually, I've noticed my Elo fluctuates depending on if my past opponents lose or win their debates. For example, I beat birdlandmemories three times, so my Elo obviously went up dramatically. However, after me, he lost like five debates in a row. My Elo started going back down as his did. Then, he started winning again, and my Elo went up with his.

Additionally, after you beat two noobs, my Elo went even more up (about 50) than when I initially beat you.

But then you beat a really highly ranked debater and my Elo went up by a single point, lol.

Each noob you beat gave me 25 Elo each, whereas for the good debater you beat, I gained 1 Elo. The third noob has given me no Elo.

This is a perfect example of how the system is flawed. It's interesting they adjust Elo based on your past opponent's own Elo. But clearly it isn't accurate as I have shown above. It's as if the formula is randomized when your past opponent's finish a debate.
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 4:50:38 PM
At 2/7/2015 10:24:15 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 4:55:53 PM
At 2/8/2015 4:49:10 PM, Complicated_Mind wrote:
At 2/8/2015 2:23:36 PM, Varrack wrote:

L = loser's original ELO
D = change in ELO

D = 100*(W+9L)/10W

Actually, I've noticed my Elo fluctuates depending on if my past opponents lose or win their debates. For example, I beat birdlandmemories three times, so my Elo obviously went up dramatically. However, after me, he lost like five debates in a row. My Elo started going back down as his did. Then, he started winning again, and my Elo went up with his.

Additionally, after you beat two noobs, my Elo went even more up (about 50) than when I initially beat you.

But then you beat a really highly ranked debater and my Elo went up by a single point, lol.

Each noob you beat gave me 25 Elo each, whereas for the good debater you beat, I gained 1 Elo. The third noob has given me no Elo.

This is a perfect example of how the system is flawed. It's interesting they adjust Elo based on your past opponent's own Elo. But clearly it isn't accurate as I have shown above. It's as if the formula is randomized when your past opponent's finish a debate.

Oh I see. That is kind of sketchy, I haven't actually realized that until you brought it up. So basically I need to beat more good debaters so your elo doesn't keep going up ;) lol