Total Posts:88|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Who is the most convincing debater on DDO?

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 5:43:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
In the old voting system where you can put in who you agreed with before and after the debate... which debater on DDO has made the most people change their minds? Is there a way to calculate this?
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 5:46:09 PM
At 2/10/2015 5:43:33 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
In the old voting system where you can put in who you agreed with before and after the debate... which debater on DDO has made the most people change their minds? Is there a way to calculate this?

Wylted has made me Pro on child rape.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 6:03:33 PM
Me! ^_^

I personally think Envisage can be pretty convincing, and his arguments are generally well-structured. Other than that, Mikal when he does a serious debate.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 6:06:58 PM
At 2/10/2015 6:03:33 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Me! ^_^

I personally think Envisage can be pretty convincing, and his arguments are generally well-structured. Other than that, Mikal when he does a serious debate.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 6:15:28 PM
Me! ^_^

Yes, he can. I meant like is there a way to calculate official statistics of how many people have changed to agree with a certain debater.

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 6:28:47 PM
At 2/10/2015 6:15:28 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Me! ^_^

Yes, he can. I meant like is there a way to calculate official statistics of how many people have changed to agree with a certain debater.

Hmm, likely not officially. You'd have to ask a large number of users on the site to establish who *they* think is the most convincing debater and someone who has made them question their viewpoints on certain topics.

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 6:38:08 PM
it's me
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 6:40:24 PM
At 2/10/2015 6:38:08 PM, thett3 wrote:
it's me

Convince me.

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 6:50:19 PM
At 2/10/2015 6:40:24 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
it's me

Convince me.

You already knew it was me, you don't need to be convinced
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 6:53:49 PM
At 2/10/2015 6:50:19 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 2/10/2015 6:40:24 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
it's me

Convince me.

You already knew it was me, you don't need to be convinced

O.O HOW DA FAWQ DID U KNO DAT??

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 7:37:15 PM
Myself. I learn a lot sometimes, but I've just been half assing stuff lately, so it's not working.

I keep accepting debates knowing dam well I don't have time for them.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 8:34:58 PM
I have to vote for MadCornishBiker, he's just so, eloquent:

http://www.debate.org...
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 8:43:07 PM
Myself ;D

Nah I really think probably bluesteel, thett3, and RoyLatham.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 10:39:48 PM
I changed someone's mind on Flat Taxes, Abortion, and US v Europe. So there's that...
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 12:20:06 AM

The entire idea that debates are designed to make people change their minds on issues is a problem with this site and its voting. Debate is a game to see who can win, and people are supposed to take sides they don't personally agree with. I'd hate to think my arguments changed people's minds to start agreeing with a position that I strongly *disagree* with.

That said, assuming you were trying to answer the question, it's a tough thing to answer. It's very issue specific: I doubt most people would change their minds on abortion, since it is such a salient issue frought with emotion, whereas anyone who reads a drug decriminalization case and doesn't change their mind on the War on Drug is just an idiot. It shouldn't really matter whose debate you read: danielle's, mine, laissez_faire's, j.kenyon's. It's just an issue that so patently obvious, even though it goes against convention wisdom.

And yeah, besides drug legalization, I haven't read a debate on DDO that changed my mind about anything. Except maybe ADOL's bestiality debates; it did make me rethink whether there is any legitimate basis for punishing that conduct criminally.

Honestly, I think people's own debates should make them change their minds about issues. It's hard to change your mind only from the information contained in a debate, unless your opinion was based on almost no hard facts. It takes more research than just a short debate to change a legitimately held opinion. For example, 16K changed his views on climate change from doing a debate on it. If you really want to learn about an issue, that's a better way to learn than assuming that, e.g., because Roy outclassed some n00b on that issue that he must be right.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 12:23:50 AM
Also, another issue with the site is selection bias: people tend to only want to read debates where they have a strong interest in the topic, which tends to mean they already strongly support one side.

I've seen people check the box that says I changed their mind on the issue. That's great and all, but not really my goal when debating. If I was really going to change someone's mind, a better format would be a real life discussion/cross-examination where I could specifically answer their own personal reasons for opposing my position. A debate is just not conducive to that: you don't know the judges' own personal reasons and arguments for supporting the side they do, so you could never hope to predict those and answer them in a debate.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 12:24:39 AM
At 2/10/2015 8:34:58 PM, imabench wrote:
I have to vote for MadCornishBiker, he's just so, eloquent:

"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 2:53:04 AM
At 2/11/2015 12:23:50 AM, bluesteel wrote:
Also, another issue with the site is selection bias: people tend to only want to read debates where they have a strong interest in the topic, which tends to mean they already strongly support one side.

I've seen people check the box that says I changed their mind on the issue. That's great and all, but not really my goal when debating. If I was really going to change someone's mind, a better format would be a real life discussion/cross-examination where I could specifically answer their own personal reasons for opposing my position. A debate is just not conducive to that: you don't know the judges' own personal reasons and arguments for supporting the side they do, so you could never hope to predict those and answer them in a debate.

You changed my mind on our roller coaster debate. Although that was more convincing me that my side was wrong as I was actually willing to debate either side and me realizing not to write resolutions that are slanted against myself.
Genghis_Khan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 9:01:16 AM
At 2/10/2015 8:43:07 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Myself ;D

I haven't read many of thett3's debates but definitely bluesteel and roy. They're debates actually make me change my stances on things.
anything your heart desires
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 10:40:17 AM
At 2/11/2015 9:01:16 AM, Genghis_Khan wrote:
Myself ;D

I haven't read many of thett3's debates but definitely bluesteel and roy. They're debates actually make me change my stances on things.

I have never actually changed my stance becaus of a debate :P
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 10:41:09 AM
At 2/11/2015 10:40:17 AM, 16kadams wrote:
Myself ;D

That's a lie actually. I have when I have done debates, but I've never read a debate and switched
Genghis_Khan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 12:03:31 PM
Myself ;D

well usually when I do change a stance because of a debate it's because my initial stance wasn't very well developed
anything your heart desires
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 12:11:32 PM
At 2/11/2015 10:41:09 AM, 16kadams wrote:
Myself ;D

That's a lie actually. I have when I have done debates, but I've never read a debate and switched

What changed your mind on that fact? :-p
GamrDeb8rBbrH8r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 12:12:49 PM

I think the moast convincing debater would be Mhykiel
"There's no diversity because we're burning in the melting pot."

-Immortal Technique

Rap battle VS Truth_Seeker: http://www.debate.org...
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 12:14:45 PM
At 2/11/2015 12:12:49 PM, GamrDeb8rBbrH8r wrote:

lol
GamrDeb8rBbrH8r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 12:15:53 PM
At 2/11/2015 12:14:45 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 2/11/2015 12:12:49 PM, GamrDeb8rBbrH8r wrote:

lol

I pulled a member's name ex culo. I dont actually think that
"There's no diversity because we're burning in the melting pot."

-Immortal Technique

Rap battle VS Truth_Seeker: http://www.debate.org...
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 12:31:50 PM
In forms of structure Aaron , on a general basis zaradi. Zaradi can have no fuking idea what he is talking about and make it come off so condescending that you instnalty believe him.

Me = the sky is blue

Matt = wtf are you talking about, just no. Its actually green but when then suns yellow rays hit it, it gives off a translucent blue tone due to the radiation that goku spilled out beating cell. Sources stfu I'm right

When your not sure about a topic just be a dik and act like your right.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 12:33:49 PM
Me! ^_^

Senpai
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 12:55:52 PM
At 2/11/2015 12:11:32 PM, Envisage wrote:
Myself ;D

I stopped denying climate change when I did a debate in favor of it
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 1:02:11 PM
At 2/11/2015 12:55:52 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/11/2015 12:11:32 PM, Envisage wrote:
Myself ;D

I stopped denying climate change when I did a debate in favor of it

You should do a debate Pro on "The Court reached the right outcome in Windsor."

You should really read that case (and a bit more about the factual background) and then tell me what you think about gay marriage.