Would you mess with Texas?

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 12:12:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Congressman Hastings would:

http://newpittsburghcourieronline.com...
Hastings calls Texas a crazy state for defending a criminal law prohibiting women from owning more than 6 dildos

[Video] Hastings calls Texas is a crazy state for refusing to set up state exchanges under Obamacare, says he wouldn't live there for all the Tea in China, and tells the Republican Congressman from Texas that he will "wait til Hell freezes over" to get an apology.

Congress finally contains a single set of testicles....

So yeah, uhh, this is relevant to debate because y'all should debate whether Texas is a crazy state. Win and make thett3 cry...
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 12:17:40 AM
That was great. Lol
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 12:18:56 AM
Ya just cant beat people from Florida ;D
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 1:26:06 AM
Not all Texans are Republican. Austin, San Antonio, Houston and the RGV counties vote Democrat.

Also, don't mess with Texas is the slogan for a statewide anti-littering campaign.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 6:00:15 AM
That was great, just great. That was a good start too my day.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 8:31:23 AM
Well California has odd laws too...
leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201120120AB2078
losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/02/14/la-county-updating-beach-regulations
www.dumblaws.com/law/2061
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 10:34:49 AM
At 2/11/2015 12:12:19 AM, bluesteel wrote:

Hastings calls Texas a crazy state for defending a criminal law prohibiting women from owning more than 6 dildos

[Video] Hastings calls Texas is a crazy state for refusing to set up state exchanges under Obamacare, says he wouldn't live there for all the Tea in China, and tells the Republican Congressman from Texas that he will "wait til Hell freezes over" to get an apology.

So yeah, uhh, this is relevant to debate because y'all should debate whether Texas is a crazy state. Win and make thett3 cry...

I want to see the actual state statute that says this. I'm not saying it's not true, but I've heard about lots of these crazy laws, and never been able to find where it actually says it on the books.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 10:38:08 AM
Anything more than 6 is just asking for trouble.

Then again, trouble is my middle name. ;)
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 10:47:41 AM
At 2/11/2015 10:38:08 AM, Zaradi wrote:
Anything more than 6 is just asking for trouble.

Then again, trouble is my middle name. ;)

Who knows they may be selling them. They could be a dildo salesperson.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 11:00:46 AM
At 2/11/2015 10:34:49 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

I want to see the actual state statute that says this. I'm not saying it's not true, but I've heard about lots of these crazy laws, and never been able to find where it actually says it on the books.

Happy to oblige....

"A person commits an offense if, knowing its content and character, he wholesale promotes or possesses with intent to wholesale promote any obscene material or obscene device." Tex. Penal Code " 43.23(a).

tl;dr -- selling a vibrator is illegal in Texas

"A person who possesses six or more obscene devices or identical or similar obscene articles is presumed to possess them with intent to promote the same." Tex. Penal Code " 43.23(f).

tl;dr Texas criminal law automatically presumes that if you own six or more dildos, they are for sale, not personal use, and therefore you are guilty of a crime (see above)

== Bonus: a 2008 criminal prosecution for selling a dildo in Texas under the above law ==

Case: Villarreal v. State, 267 S.W.3d 204, 206, 2008 WL 2744502 (Tex. App. 2008)

On June 25, 2004, Corpus Christi Police Officer Adrian Dominguez was working undercover when he visited a business, called Friends 4 Ever, to determine if it was selling obscene materials or devices. Dominguez was aware that law enforcement agents had previously informed the business owner that the business needed to cease selling certain items that were considered obscene under state law. Appellant was at the business working as a cashier and sales clerk. During the visit, Dominguez purchased a vibrator from appellant; the vibrator was called "Lick it Lover" and resembled the male sexual organ. A few hours after Dominguez's purchase, police officers arrived at the business, where they executed a search warrant and placed appellant under arrest.

In trial court cause number 04"CR"6215"4 (hereinafter "cause one"),3 appellant was charged by complaint with having committed an offense under section 43.23(a) [YES TEXAS ACTUALLY ENFORCES THIS LAW] of the penal code.4 Under this cause, it was alleged that "[o]n or about 1:30 p.m. on June 25, 2004 ... in Nueces County," appellant, "knowing the content and character of a certain device, to-wit: a dildo and vibrator, knowingly promote[d] or possess[ed] with intent to promote said device, which was obscene."5

Appellant pleaded not guilty to the State's allegations in both causes, which were then tried jointly before a jury. The jury found appellant guilty. . .

Just as state courts are not bound by declaratory judgments, a lower federal court's issuance of an injunction"as done *209 by the Fifth Circuit in Reliable"also fails to directly bind state courts. As expressed by the United States Supreme Court in Ex parte Young: "It is proper to add that the right to enjoin an individual, even through a state official, from commencing suits under circumstances already stated, does not include the power to restrain a court from acting in any case brought before it, either of a civil or criminal nature...."25

This Court thus remains duty-bound, for better or worse, to follow the rulings of the court of criminal appeals, which has held"in contrast to the Fifth Circuit"that section 43.23 does not violate the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.26 Because we must follow the court of criminal appeals' holding that section 43.23 is constitutional, we reject the argument in appellant's supplemental brief that contests her convictions for promoting an obscene device.

[YES, THE TEXAS COURT IS LITERALLY SAYING: F*CK THE FEDERAL COURTS, WE'RE IGNORING THEIR DECISION; GO TEXAS!!!!]

{the court is totally wrong btw: the Fifth Circuit holding on the 14th Amendment *is* binding on the Texas court; it doesn't *really* matter that it was an injunction case; this is a huge middle finger to the Fifth Circuit}
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 11:05:24 AM
Anything more than 6 is just asking for "Trouble."

Then again, Trouble is my middle name. ;)

Are.... are you saying you have 7 penises?
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 11:07:10 AM
At 2/11/2015 11:00:46 AM, bluesteel wrote:

Happy to oblige....

"A person commits an offense if, knowing its content and character, he wholesale promotes or possesses with intent to wholesale promote any obscene material or obscene device." Tex. Penal Code " 43.23(a).

"A person who possesses six or more obscene devices or identical or similar obscene articles is presumed to possess them with intent to promote the same." Tex. Penal Code " 43.23(f).

tl;dr Texas criminal law automatically presumes that if you own six or more dildos, they are for sale, not personal use, and therefore you are guilty of a crime (see above)

== Bonus: a 2008 criminal prosecution for selling a dildo in Texas under the above law ==

Case: Villarreal v. State, 267 S.W.3d 204, 206, 2008 WL 2744502 (Tex. App. 2008)

On June 25, 2004, Corpus Christi Police Officer Adrian Dominguez was working undercover when he visited a business, called Friends 4 Ever, to determine if it was selling obscene materials or devices. Dominguez was aware that law enforcement agents had previously informed the business owner that the business needed to cease selling certain items that were considered obscene under state law. Appellant was at the business working as a cashier and sales clerk. During the visit, Dominguez purchased a vibrator from appellant; the vibrator was called "Lick it Lover" and resembled the male sexual organ. A few hours after Dominguez's purchase, police officers arrived at the business, where they executed a search warrant and placed appellant under arrest.

In trial court cause number 04"CR"6215"4 (hereinafter "cause one"),3 appellant was charged by complaint with having committed an offense under section 43.23(a) [YES TEXAS ACTUALLY ENFORCES THIS LAW] of the penal code.4 Under this cause, it was alleged that "[o]n or about 1:30 p.m. on June 25, 2004 ... in Nueces County," appellant, "knowing the content and character of a certain device, to-wit: a dildo and vibrator, knowingly promote[d] or possess[ed] with intent to promote said device, which was obscene."5

Appellant pleaded not guilty to the State's allegations in both causes, which were then tried jointly before a jury. The jury found appellant guilty. . .

Just as state courts are not bound by declaratory judgments, a lower federal court's issuance of an injunction"as done *209 by the Fifth Circuit in Reliable"also fails to directly bind state courts. As expressed by the United States Supreme Court in Ex parte Young: "It is proper to add that the right to enjoin an individual, even through a state official, from commencing suits under circumstances already stated, does not include the power to restrain a court from acting in any case brought before it, either of a civil or criminal nature...."25

This Court thus remains duty-bound, for better or worse, to follow the rulings of the court of criminal appeals, which has held"in contrast to the Fifth Circuit"that section 43.23 does not violate the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.26 Because we must follow the court of criminal appeals' holding that section 43.23 is constitutional, we reject the argument in appellant's supplemental brief that contests her convictions for promoting an obscene device.

[YES, THE TEXAS COURT IS LITERALLY SAYING: F*CK THE FEDERAL COURTS, WE'RE IGNORING THEIR DECISION; GO TEXAS!!!!]

{the court is totally wrong btw: the Fifth Circuit holding on the 14th Amendment *is* binding on the Texas court; it doesn't *really* matter that it was an injunction case; this is a huge middle finger to the Fifth Circuit}

Enjoy. My school account is free, but if I were on a law firm account, finding these would have cost you (slash me, slash the firm) $215. Yes, the legal databases are a HUGE ripoff..... $125 just to run a search.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 11:08:59 AM

Happy to oblige....

I would have nullified it :P
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 11:09:56 AM
At 2/11/2015 11:08:59 AM, 16kadams wrote:

lol, i bet the store owner would be so happy he'd give you a free dildo... it's only a crime if you *sell* it.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 11:11:00 AM
At 2/11/2015 11:09:56 AM, bluesteel wrote:

lol, i bet the store owner would be so happy he'd give you a free dildo... it's only a crime if you *sell* it.

Lololol
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 11:12:07 AM
At 2/11/2015 11:05:24 AM, bluesteel wrote:

I thought we agreed to not talk about this in public!
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 11:12:20 AM
At 2/11/2015 11:11:00 AM, 16kadams wrote:

Lololol

if ur ever in that situation, remember: the ladies love the rabbits
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 11:15:15 AM
At 2/11/2015 11:12:07 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 2/11/2015 11:05:24 AM, bluesteel wrote:

I thought we agreed to not talk about this in public!

Sorry, I was just mad you lied to me... You only ever showed me six...

Or maybe I can't count... let's see: 1 penis, 2 penis, tree penis, for penis, nice penis, five penis, six penis....

yup nailed it
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 11:30:26 AM

Happy to oblige....

Yes!!! I knew the law of six was an issue of distribution.

I'm not wholly opposed to this law, as cities are often have some sort of limitation of who can openly sell "obscene" materials, similar to who can sell liquor.

From the penal code:
"Wholesale promote" means to manufacture, issue, sell, provide, mail, deliver, transfer, transmit, publish, distribute, circulate, disseminate, or to offer or agree to do the same for purpose of resale.

It is not illegal to simply possess six, as you seem to be suggesting, just that it is presumed that the reason you have so many is to promote their use. The case you cite is clearly a business.

"Promote" means to manufacture, issue, sell, give, provide, lend, mail, deliver, transfer, transmit, publish, distribute, circulate, disseminate, present, exhibit, or advertise, or to offer or agree to do the same.

My only questions is, are there no sex shops in Texas? I find that hard to believe.
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 11:32:32 AM

Actually, giving or lending it is also illegal.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 11:37:19 AM
At 2/11/2015 11:30:26 AM, KhaosMage wrote:
My only questions is, are there no sex shops in Texas? I find that hard to believe.

There are. You have to look hard to find them (it is Texas after all), but they're there.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 11:38:50 AM
At 2/11/2015 11:37:19 AM, Zaradi wrote:

There are. You have to look hard to find them (it is Texas after all), but they're there.

If I ever come to Texas, you are totally going to be my tour guide.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 11:39:13 AM

And they are illegal?
Do these businesses not have an exception?
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 11:42:52 AM
At 2/11/2015 11:38:50 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Oh yeah I'd totally be the best tour guide of all time. I can take you to all the hoping spots, like:

- The local gamestop
- Dairy Queen
- a movie theatre
- Uhhh...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 11:43:22 AM
At 2/11/2015 11:39:13 AM, KhaosMage wrote:

And they are illegal?

Idfk...
Comrade_Silly_Otter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 11:46:19 AM
At 2/11/2015 11:43:22 AM, Zaradi wrote:

And they are illegal?

Idfk...

Why don't you know?
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 11:48:26 AM
At 2/11/2015 11:42:52 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Oh yeah I'd totally be the best tour guide of all time. I can take you to all the hoping spots, like:

- The local gamestop

Eh, I haven't gamed in years, but why not?

- Dairy Queen

Cooooooooool. Never been there, lol.

- a movie theatre

Also cool. I especially love the spelling "theatre."

- Uhhh...

Strip club, man! Come on! Withholding the entre is increasing my suffering--oh, now I get it........

DDO's Economics Messiah
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 11:50:14 AM
At 2/11/2015 11:48:26 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

- The local gamestop

- Dairy Queen

- a movie theatre

- Uhhh...

Strip club, man! Come on! Withholding the entre is increasing my suffering--oh, now I get it........

-.- you...
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 11:50:56 AM
At 2/11/2015 11:43:22 AM, Zaradi wrote:

And they are illegal?

Idfk...

Well, you said they were hard to find.
That means either:
1. They are hard to find as they are hidden, like a speakeasy or card room.
2. They are hard to find as there are so few of them, but they are plain to see.

I'm assuming if a store's name was "Sex World", it would be evident what they sell, which implies there is an exception. Conversely, if it appears to be a video store, and you are allowed to go behind a curtain and BAM! dildos galore, this is more hidden, and suggests being illegal.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 11:54:21 AM
At 2/11/2015 11:50:14 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 2/11/2015 11:48:26 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

- The local gamestop

- Dairy Queen

- a movie theatre

- Uhhh...

-.- you...

NO YOU!

(Kinda harkens back to Frozen..)

DDO's Economics Messiah