Jump to topic:

What voting looked like 7 years ago

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 2:45:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I got a notification the other day that someone voted on a debate of mine from 7 years ago. I thought it was interesting how much worse voting was then compared to today.

http://www.debate.org...

Some things to notice:

-There are no RFD's. There aren't even any comments. There is nothing to indicate anyone even read the debate.
-The first vote on the debate is from myself, voting for myself.
-There is a grudge vote from the user "solo." I don't remember why, but for some reason he went through all my debates and voted against me. I probably deserved it.
-There is a very nice example of a votebomb and a counter-votebomb, or "CVB."
-All the votes are three point votes, I don't believe there was an option for multiple voting categories yet.

Seriously when I go back and look at my old debates it's just a mess. Be happy that voting is as good as it is now.
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 2:59:52 PM
This shall haunt my dreams.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 4:32:34 PM
I remember the day voting was finally made open and all anonymous votes were revealed. The site imploded. Many enemies were made that day.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 5:04:36 PM
Preach it!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 5:07:51 PM
At 2/14/2015 4:32:34 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I remember the day voting was finally made open and all anonymous votes were revealed. The site imploded. Many enemies were made that day.

Makes you wonder why they ever were anonymous...
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 5:13:02 PM

Holy crap, I can only imagine what that was like.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 5:14:55 PM
At 2/14/2015 5:14:07 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
Why would someone vote on a 7 year old debate?

Because it's open, and if they see their side losing... You know...

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 5:15:26 PM
At 2/14/2015 5:14:55 PM, donald.keller wrote:

But still, at that point I doubt anyone really cares :P
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 5:16:10 PM
At 2/14/2015 5:15:26 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
At 2/14/2015 5:14:55 PM, donald.keller wrote:

But still, at that point I doubt anyone really cares :P

Tell that to a fanboy lol.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 5:22:10 PM
At 2/14/2015 5:13:02 PM, Envisage wrote:

Holy crap, I can only imagine what that was like.

There was a lot of lying and secrecy. You'd finish a debate and a few hours later, there would be a 7 point vote against you with no explanation. Was it your opponent? Was it someone who didn't like you? Someone who just thought you did poorly?

People would also form voting packs, so a few hours before a debate ended, you'd see one side go up 21 points suddenly. It was like a battlefield out there, man. I've seen things.
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 5:23:59 PM
If you think there are a lot of call out threads now, imagine all the ones that were created when anonymous voting ended and people found out their "friends" had been voting against them for months lol.
- lamerde

DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 6:20:38 PM
At 2/14/2015 5:23:59 PM, Maikuru wrote:
If you think there are a lot of call out threads now, imagine all the ones that were created when anonymous voting ended and people found out their "friends" had been voting against them for months lol.

Was this when the Ferreiras ran the site?

I noticed a thread from five years ago and you commented in it. It would be more than safe to assume majority of people from that time are no longer here. Strange, I even noticed RoyLatham was arguing against the existence of RFDs. Times have changed greatly since you started here it would seem.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 6:21:16 PM
At 2/14/2015 5:23:59 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Was this when Phil & Crystal ran the site?

I noticed a thread from five years ago and you commented in it. It would be more than safe to assume majority of people from that time are no longer here. Strange, I even noticed RoyLatham was arguing against the existence of RFDs. Times have changed greatly since you started here it would seem.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 7:30:29 AM
Strangely enough, no RFD's, anonymous voting, voting blocks is how it is in the real world when it comes to voting.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 12:20:51 PM
At 2/15/2015 7:30:29 AM, sadolite wrote:
Strangely enough, no RFD's, anonymous voting, voting blocks is how it is in the real world when it comes to voting.

Voting on a debate is evaluating a competition.

Voting in real life is registering your opinion on how our society functions.

The two are similar only in the sense that both use a ballot.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 1:53:31 PM
At 2/15/2015 12:20:51 PM, Raisor wrote:

So my opinion that nothing should be done about the what I like to call the "hoax of global warming" is every bit as good as someone who wants institute massive regulation and taxes under the precept of global warming? That is to say voting in real life. It's an opinion based on ones personal observations and what they choose to believe.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 2:02:49 PM
At 2/15/2015 1:53:31 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 2/15/2015 12:20:51 PM, Raisor wrote:

So my opinion that nothing should be done about the what I like to call the "hoax of global warming" is every bit as good as someone who wants institute massive regulation and taxes under the precept of global warming? That is to say voting in real life. It's an opinion based on ones personal observations and what they choose to believe.

No, since you live in Florida, your vote in the presidential election actually counts 69482392 times more than mine.

And this is literally why Winston Churchill said that the fastest way to disavow yourself of the belief that democracy is the best system is a five minute conversation with the average voter...
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 2:19:57 PM
At 2/14/2015 2:45:48 PM, Raisor wrote:
I got a notification the other day that someone voted on a debate of mine from 7 years ago. I thought it was interesting how much worse voting was then compared to today.

Some things to notice:

-There are no RFD's. There aren't even any comments. There is nothing to indicate anyone even read the debate.
-There is a grudge vote from the user "solo." I don't remember why, but for some reason he went through all my debates and voted against me. I probably deserved it.
-All the votes are three point votes, I don't believe there was an option for multiple voting categories yet.

Seriously when I go back and look at my old debates it's just a mess. Be happy that voting is as good as it is now.

I bumped one of the main "drama" threads from after voting became open. When voting was still closed, apparently, theLwerd (now "danielle") had lied to her opponent and said she actually awarded *him* argument points when she voted. Turns out she had voted 7 points to herself.

It's kind of funny. It's like that show "Golden Balls," where at the end you and another contestant have to choose to "share" or "steal" the winnings. If you both steal, you get nothing. Both share, you share. One share, one steal, the stealer takes it all. People lie their @sses off (about how their dad fought in WWII, taught them honor from a very young age -- when the dude never even knew his father: single mother).

I imagine it was the same in the days before voting became open. If you lied to your opponent and convinced him you didn't vote for yourself, then he wouldn't vote for himself and you could win just from your own vote. Genius really.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 2:24:54 PM
At 2/15/2015 2:19:57 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Some things to notice:

I bumped one of the main "drama" threads from after voting became open. When voting was still closed, apparently, theLwerd (now "danielle") had lied to her opponent and said she actually awarded *him* argument points when she voted. Turns out she had voted 7 points to herself.

It's kind of funny. It's like that show "Golden Balls," where at the end you and another contestant have to choose to "share" or "steal" the winnings. If you both steal, you get nothing. Both share, you share. One share, one steal, the stealer takes it all. People lie their @sses off (about how their dad fought in WWII, taught them honor from a very young age -- when the dude never even knew his father: single mother).

I imagine it was the same in the days before voting became open. If you lied to your opponent and convinced him you didn't vote for yourself, then he wouldn't vote for himself and you could win just from your own vote. Genius really.

I just voted for myself every debate assuming my opponent was doing the same haha
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 2:59:00 PM
At 2/15/2015 2:24:54 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 2/15/2015 2:19:57 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Some things to notice:

I just voted for myself every debate assuming my opponent was doing the same haha

As with "Golden Balls," the voting thing is also a prisoner's dilemma game and that is the dominant strategy. So makes sense.

Although since you can talk to your opponent, convincing them you played "not vote" or "share" is even better, if you can manage it.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 3:05:27 PM

Some things to notice:

The show is seriously fascinating btw.

[First video, what typically happens, start watching at 3 min]

[Second video, guy figures out how to BREAK THE GAME. Seriously genius]
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 3:09:56 PM

They interviewed the guy later who told that story about his father, saying that all a man has is his word.

He said he went into it intending to steal and that story was fake.

And apparently in real life, that conversation went on for an *hour.* He just kept repeating over and over: that's all well and good, but I'm going to steal.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 3:17:21 PM
At 2/15/2015 3:09:56 PM, bluesteel wrote:

They interviewed the guy later who told that story about his father, saying that all a man has is his word.

And apparently in real life, that conversation went on for an *hour.* He just kept repeating over and over: that's all well and good, but I'm going to steal.

As if I don't listen to radio lab too : P
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 3:17:33 PM
But yeah saying you'll share the money after and will vote "steal" no matter what totally breaks the game. How do you argue with that?

If you trust the person to share, then you don't need them to vote "share." You have to trust them either way. The only difference is that if they actually vote "share," they are risking you screw them over, whereas if they vote "steal" and share after, you have literally nothing to gain by also voting "steal" unless you are 100% positive they won't share after the show and just want to do it out of spite.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 3:20:28 PM
At 2/15/2015 3:17:21 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 2/15/2015 3:09:56 PM, bluesteel wrote:

As if I don't listen to radio lab too : P

Is that good?

I heard about this at a lecture on negotiating strategies. The presenter showed it for some comic relief. I don't know where he got it from, but presumably there. Doubt he actually watches a British game show.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 3:21:25 PM
At 2/15/2015 3:17:33 PM, bluesteel wrote:
But yeah saying you'll share the money after and will vote "steal" no matter what totally breaks the game. How do you argue with that?

If you trust the person to share, then you don't need them to vote "share." You have to trust them either way. The only difference is that if they actually vote "share," they are risking you screw them over, whereas if they vote "steal" and share after, you have literally nothing to gain by also voting "steal" unless you are 100% positive they won't share after the show and just want to do it out of spite.

I think that's the only risk, that you piss the other person off so they don't think rationally.

From their perspective of "how do I best serve my interest" there is no reason to not share.

But from the perspective of "how do I not look like a chump" they might steal so neither of you get it.

There's more than just financial gain involved. There's pride, ego, a sense of fairness.