Jump to topic:

Powerful writing

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 8:50:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
This excerpt from a New York Times article (by Christopher Maag) has always stuck with me:

Megan Meier died believing that somewhere in this world lived a boy named Josh Evans who hated her. He was 16, owned a pet snake, and she thought he was the cutest boyfriend she ever had.

Josh contacted Megan through her page on MySpace.com. . . They flirted for weeks, but only online -- Josh said his family had no phone. On Oct. 15, 2006, Josh suddenly turned mean. He called Megan names, and later they traded insults for an hour.

The next day, in his final message . . . Josh wrote, "The world would be a better place without you."

Sobbing, Megan ran into her bedroom closet. Her mother found her there, hanging from a belt. She was 13.

. . . Josh Evans never existed. He was an online character created by Lori Drew, then 47, who lived four houses down the street . . .

I still get chills every time I read this. What are your examples of a piece of writing that has always stuck with you?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 9:07:14 AM
At 2/20/2015 8:50:31 AM, bluesteel wrote:
9space's almost-death experience
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
18Karl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 9:15:32 AM
At 2/20/2015 9:07:14 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

You dark soul....
praise the lord Chin Chin
RocketEngineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 11:34:08 AM
This excerpt from a New York Times article (by Christopher Maag) has always stuck with me:

Megan Meier died believing that somewhere in this world lived a boy named Josh Evans who hated her. He was 16, owned a pet snake, and she thought he was the cutest boyfriend she ever had.

Josh contacted Megan through her page on MySpace.com. . . They flirted for weeks, but only online -- Josh said his family had no phone. On Oct. 15, 2006, Josh suddenly turned mean. He called Megan names, and later they traded insults for an hour.

The next day, in his final message . . . Josh wrote, "The world would be a better place without you."

Sobbing, Megan ran into her bedroom closet. Her mother found her there, hanging from a belt. She was 13.

. . . Josh Evans never existed. He was an online character created by Lori Drew, then 47, who lived four houses down the street . . .

I still get chills every time I read this. What are your examples of a piece of writing that has always stuck with you?

Did the woman down the street know who she was, and did she do it on purpose with the intention of leading to a suicide? I mean you probably don't know, but now I have questions.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 11:43:52 AM
At 2/20/2015 11:34:08 AM, RocketEngineer wrote:

Did the woman down the street know who she was, and did she do it on purpose with the intention of leading to a suicide? I mean you probably don't know, but now I have questions.

Yes she knew her. Lori Drew's daughter used to be friends with Megan, but she and Megan had a falling out, so Lori decided to torture Megan to get revenge.

I don't know if the goal was to get Megan to commit suicide, but Lori knew that Megan was on anti-depressants and she said, "The world would be a better place without you" (as Josh). Sure seems like she knew what she was doing (i.e. cyberbullying a 13-year-old girl to death).
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Genghis_Khan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:17:35 PM
At 2/20/2015 11:43:52 AM, bluesteel wrote:

Yes she knew her. Lori Drew's daughter used to be friends with Megan, but she and Megan had a falling out, so Lori decided to torture Megan to get revenge.

I don't know if the goal was to get Megan to commit suicide, but Lori knew that Megan was on anti-depressants and she said, "The world would be a better place without you" (as Josh). Sure seems like she knew what she was doing (i.e. cyberbullying a 13-year-old girl to death).

People like that need to be imprisoned for life.
anything your heart desires
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:18:14 PM
At 2/20/2015 12:17:35 PM, Genghis_Khan wrote:

The article also notes that she did nothing illegal because cyberbullying isn't a crime.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:23:43 PM
Have you ever heard of The Egg Theory?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Genghis_Khan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 12:23:46 PM
At 2/20/2015 12:18:14 PM, bluesteel wrote:

The article also notes that she did nothing illegal because cyberbullying isn't a crime.

what the hell. that's legitmately news to me. why isn't it a crime, if things like libel and in-person harassment are?
anything your heart desires
RocketEngineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 7:22:56 AM

That's pretty harsh. Link to the article?
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 9:24:12 AM
At 2/21/2015 7:22:56 AM, RocketEngineer wrote:

That's pretty harsh. Link to the article?

http://www.nytimes.com...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 9:26:09 AM
At 2/20/2015 12:23:46 PM, Genghis_Khan wrote:

what the hell. that's legitmately news to me. why isn't it a crime, if things like libel and in-person harassment are?

I don't know.... Congress has failed to criminalize it. The Megan Meier Cyberbullying Prevention Act of 2009 would have criminalized what Lori Drew did (in memory of Megan Meier), but it failed to pass Congress.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 10:23:00 AM

Writing at the end of great novels always sticks with me, though sometimes the context is necessary to feel the full impact of their words.

"She put out her arms as if after a retreating figure, stretching them back and with clasped pale hands across the fading and narrow sheen of the window. Never see him! I saw him clearly enough then. I shall see this eloquent phantom as long as I live, and I shall see her, too, a tragic and familiar Shade, resembling in this gesture another one, tragic also, and bedecked with powerless charms, stretching bare brown arms over the glitter of the infernal stream, the stream of darkness. She said suddenly very low, "He died as he lived."
- Heart of Darkness -

~*~

"Suddenly Nel stopped. Her eye twitched and burned a little.

"Sula?" she whispered, gazing at the tops of trees. "Sula?"

Leaves stirred; mud shifted; there was the smell of overripe green things. A soft ball of fur broke and scattered like dandelion spores on the breeze.

"All that time, all that time, I thought I was missing Jude." And the loss pressed down on her chest and came up into her throat. "We was girls together," she said as though explaining something. "O Lord, Sula," she cried, "girl, girl, girlgirlgirl."

It was a fine cry -- loud and long -- but it had no bottom and it had no top, just circles and circles of sorrow."
- Sula -

~*~

"Most of the big shore places were closed now and there were hardly any lights except the shadowy, moving glow of a ferryboat across the Sound. And as the moon rose higher the inessential houses began to melt away until gradually I became aware of the old island here that flowered once for Dutch sailors' eyes -- a fresh, green breast of the new world. Its vanished trees, the trees that had made way for Gatsby's house, had once pandered in whispers to the last and greatest of all human dreams; for a transitory enchanted moment man must have held his breath in the presence of this continent, compelled into an aesthetic contemplation he neither understood nor desired, face to face for the last time in history with something commensurate to his capacity for wonder.

And as I sat there, brooding on the old unknown world, I thought of Gatsby's wonder when he first picked out the green light at the end of Daisy's dock. He had come a long way to this blue lawn and his dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it. He did not know that it was already behind him, somewhere back in that vast obscurity beyond the city, where the dark fields of the republic rolled on under the night.

Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter -- tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther.... And one fine morning --

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
- The Great Gatsby -

~*~

"I had been shouting so much that I'd lost my breath, and just then the jailers rushed in and started trying to release the chaplain from my grip. One of them made as if to strike me. The chaplain quietened them down, then gazed at me for a moment without speaking. I could see tears in his eyes. Then he turned and left the cell.

Once he'd gone, I felt calm again. But all this excitement had exhausted me and I dropped heavily on to my sleeping plank. I must have had a longish sleep, for, when I woke, the stars were shining down on my face. Sounds of the countryside came faintly in, and the cool night air, veined with smells' of earth and salt, fanned my cheeks. The marvelous peace of the sleepbound summer night flooded through me like a tide. Then, just on the edge of daybreak, I heard a steamer's siren. People were starting on a voyage to a world which had ceased to concern me forever. Almost for the first time in many months I thought of my mother. And now, it seemed to me, I understood why at her life's end she had taken on a "fiance"; why she'd played at making a fresh start. There, too, in that Home where lives were flickering out, the dusk came as a mournful solace. With death so near, Mother must have felt like someone on the brink of freedom, ready to start life all over again. No one, no one in the world had any right to weep for her. And I, too, felt ready to start life all over again. It was as if that great rush of anger had washed me clean, emptied me of hope, and, gazing up at the dark sky spangled with its signs and stars, for the first time, the first, I laid my heart open to the benign indifference of the universe. To feel it so like myself, indeed, so brotherly, made me realize that I'd been happy, and that I was happy still. For all to be accomplished, for me to feel less lonely, all that remained to hope was that on the day of my execution there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should greet me with howls of execration."
- The Stranger -
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Unitomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 8:56:57 PM
At 2/21/2015 9:26:09 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/20/2015 12:23:46 PM, Genghis_Khan wrote:

I don't know.... Congress has failed to criminalize it. The Megan Meier Cyberbullying Prevention Act of 2009 would have criminalized what Lori Drew did (in memory of Megan Meier), but it failed to pass Congress.

Of course they failed. Everytime there's even a rumour that Congress is going to pass a law giving it some power over the internet, everyone freaks out.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 9:07:39 PM
"And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also; knowing tribulation worketh patients; and patience, experience; and experience, hope: and hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed above in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." Romans 5:3-5.

"Man is born a predestined idealist, for he is born to act. To act is to affirm the worth of an end, and to persist in affirming the worth of an end is to make an ideal." Holmes, speech at Harvard (1911).

"Wise councels may accelerate, or mistakes delay it, but, sooner or later, the victory is sure to come." Lincoln, debating Douglass, at Springfield, Illinois (1858).

"Pragmatism is a matter of human needs; and one of the first human needs is to be something more than a pragmatist." Chesterton, "Orthodoxy." (1908)
Tsar of DDO
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 9:23:03 PM
At 2/21/2015 9:07:39 PM, YYW wrote:
"And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also; knowing tribulation worketh patients; and patience, experience; and experience, hope: and hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed above in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." Romans 5:3-5.

"Man is born a predestined idealist, for he is born to act. To act is to affirm the worth of an end, and to persist in affirming the worth of an end is to make an ideal." Holmes, speech at Harvard (1911).

"Wise councels may accelerate, or mistakes delay it, but, sooner or later, the victory is sure to come." Lincoln, debating Douglass, at Springfield, Illinois (1858).

"Pragmatism is a matter of human needs; and one of the first human needs is to be something more than a pragmatist." Chesterton, "Orthodoxy." (1908)

haha, that last one is humorous
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 9:23:57 PM
At 2/21/2015 9:23:03 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/21/2015 9:07:39 PM, YYW wrote:

haha, that last one is humorous

Right on.

I've got more... might post those tomorrow.
Tsar of DDO
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 7:49:33 AM
At 2/20/2015 9:07:14 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

._.
Equestrian election