Jump to topic:

Interview with Endarkenedrationalist

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 2:00:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At long last my series makes a triumphant return. Just like last time, this will take two pages so please do not post until I'm finished with the interview.

Thett the mighty: How'd you find DDO? What made you stick around?

LightheartedEmpiricist: Well, I first found it about four years ago. The site was still largely orange and blue, if I recall correctly. I was taking a Speech and Debate class, and I was arguing CON on the Death Penalty for an assignment. So I went to Bing (jk, it was Google, no one goes to Bing) to find ideas for arguments or sources. I checked the site on and off for a few months after that before forgetting about it.

I remembered it last year and decided to give it another peek. I liked debating (informally, at least), and I thought I'd try my hand at it. But it was definitely the community that made me stay. From the outside, it looked like a warm fire on a winter night. I wanted to be a part of that.

Thett the mighty:
You write was is almost certainly the most well read and well received fanfic on DDO. What inspired you to write one? How do you feel about it's popularity? What has influenced your writing style?

LightheartedEmpiricist:
I'm flattered that you think that's the case!

I've always been a writer. Here, on DDO, I know debating isn't my forte. I saw Imabench's Walking Dead fanfiction. It was well-written and quite enjoyable. But he departed the site, and there weren't any other fanfics around. I guess he gave me the idea to try starting one of my own. Though that was just the seed. There wasn't any fruit until Mikal made a mock story in support of Airmax's new policy enforcement about the TOS. As I was on the opposite side, I made a counter-story within that thread. It was intended to be a one-off joke, but it was so well received that I simply had to keep going. I'm truly happy so many people enjoy it. I know it seems like I only have the same three or four viewers, but I'm confident that the majority of my audience simply reads in silent enjoyment. I love writing (even though between school, my novels, and life in general, I'm often kept rather busy), and, like a good little egotist, I love seeing people comment on my story. As to what's influenced my writing style - I'd say circumstance. The fanfic I write here is the only long work I've written in the third person, and that happened because I didn't think I knew people well enough to present their thoughts from a first person POV. I can't say any one writer or work has influenced me in particular. I make my own way. Writing just has to sound right in my head. I don't always do it justice, but I always enjoy it.

Thett the mighty:
I think everyone would think so. How long do you intend on continuing OUAD?

LightheartedEmpiricist:

Season 2 will probably be the last of it. I don't think it's had the same appeal as the first season. I also haven't decided if I want to start a new story after I've finished OUAD or not.

Thett the mighty:

So tell us about your relationship with Esocial. At the risk of sounding insensitive, I don't think I'm the only one who's a bit confused by it

LightheartedEmpiricist:

What exactly do you mean?

Thett the mighty:

Alright, brass tacks: You're gay, but she's a woman. So what's the dynamic of your relationship actually like given that the component of attraction is out of the picture?

LightheartedEmpiricist:

Gaysexual, actually (formal term: homoromantic), but same idea. Annie and I are dear friends. We know each other's real names, faces, voices. We've watched shows together. She's a test reader for a novel I'm working on. Our relationship isn't based on sexual attraction. Relationships don't have to be. Love is so much more than a verb. I love her as I would any of my friends. Annie and I share a mutual disdain for "love," which is popularly viewed as little more than sexual lust. We've bonded emotionally, romantically, not physically. As an asexual, I don't think I can bond with anyone physically (though if I ever were to be interested in marrying a guy, I would for his benefit).

Thett the mighty:

What's this novel going to be about?

LightheartedEmpiricist:

My current novel is set in our world many, many years in the future. Magicians have come out of hiding and taken over half of the world, establishing an empire that has lasted nearly 600 years. People without magic fill the lower rungs from society, from soldiers to beggars. The other superpower controls the other half of the world, except it is based on science rather than magic. Naturally, the two are at war.

The story takes place within the magical empire (Marcaynia). Their philosophy is somewhat social Darwinistic - people are not equal, the powerful rule over the weak, etc. Within this empire are our three main characters. Miranda and her brother want to reform Marcaynia from the inside-out. Lanaya joins a group of psychics (second-class citizens higher than normal people but lower than magicians) headed by Lightning. He leads a revolutionary movement aimed at overthrowing the empire. The final main character, Roman, is a member of the Puritans, who see it as their duty to destroy magic itself and restore the world to how it should be.

Thett the mighty:

Who on DDO do you admire the most, and why?

LightheartedEmpiricist:

I like a lot of users on here, but admiration is trickier. I admire Maikuru and FT for their skills at mafia and RoyLatham and Raisor for their skills at debate. I even admire users like Imabench, Mikal, and YYW for their "I do what I want and fvck your opinion" attitude, even though I disagree with it. But the user I admire most would have to be bsh1. He's kind, caring, and open, and he's made a difference in the lives of so many users. I know he cares about other people on here, and he'd be a great person - a great friend - to know IRL.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 2:02:21 PM
Thett the mighty:

Fair choices, except for the fact that you didn't put me. But I assume it's because you didn't want to appear as a suck up, so you're forgiven.

Tell me about your political views. Where do you fall on the spectrum, and why? What do you think is your most fundamental belief, politically? This can be a principal, an issue, a theory, anything really.

LightheartedEmpiricist:

Oh, politics! Look at you, breaking the golden rule of dinner conversations. I call myself independent, since I have some views that are on both sides of the aisle and some views shared by neither side. I believe most politics stems down to the core of human nature and whether you believe human nature is inherently good or inherently bad. (inb4 Envisage, this doesn't necessarily relate to morality). I've grown more and more disenchanted with the liberal viewpoint (humans are inherently good, they cooperate in the state of nature, everyone can benefit, etc). I think the driving force behind my views is that a) humans are inherently self-interested and b) a higher power is required to break these barriers of self-interest and promote empathy and community.

Thett the mighty:

So if you could tell your past self a short message, what would it be?

LightheartedEmpiricist:

I would tell my past self to join DDO sooner ;-)
Nah, I'd probably say something super clich"d, like "go and dance" or "don't take this way because it goes to the guy who broke your heart" or "no, put it in the other hole."

Thett the mighty:

Put it in the other hole. Interesting. This begs the question, have you ever...fraternized with a woman? If so, in what way?

LightheartedEmpiricist:

Interesting question, that. I kissed a girl in 1st grade, though that hardly counts. Are you familiar with this thing in high school where you write a letter to yourself in freshmen year and open it after graduation? Well, I ended up putting mine away until after my first year of college (oops). One thing I wrote about in that letter was about a girl, whom I've known since childhood and remains a good friend to this day. According to the letter, I had a crush on her. It's strange. I certainly don't remember that.

In terms of desire, no, I've never desired to be with anyone, male or female.

Thett the mighty:

I think that about wraps it up. Anything you want to say to the site, or any last minute shout outs?

LightheartedEmpiricist:

Shout out to my harem (Denny, Zaradi, Niam, and Rev)! Y'all are the greatest! Also a shout out to everyone reading OUAD! Your support fills me with gratitude. And a shout out to Annie, my dearest love. And, in keeping with Katy Perry tradition, another shout out to Thett for conducting this interview series and being an all-around swell guy. Also a shout out to people who still say swell.

Thett the mighty:

whore
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 2:06:46 PM
lol
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 2:36:52 PM
LightheartedEmpiricist:

My current novel is set in our world many, many years in the future. Magicians have come out of hiding and taken over half of the world, establishing an empire that has lasted nearly 600 years. People without magic fill the lower rungs from society, from soldiers to beggars. The other superpower controls the other half of the world, except it is based on science rather than magic. Naturally, the two are at war.

The story takes place within the magical empire (Marcaynia). Their philosophy is somewhat social Darwinistic - people are not equal, the powerful rule over the weak, etc. Within this empire are our three main characters. Miranda and her brother want to reform Marcaynia from the inside-out. Lanaya joins a group of psychics (second-class citizens higher than normal people but lower than magicians) headed by Lightning. He leads a revolutionary movement aimed at overthrowing the empire. The final main character, Roman, is a member of the Puritans, who see it as their duty to destroy magic itself and restore the world to how it should be.

This sounds *extremely* interesting, endark. Best of luck!
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 5:41:18 PM
At 2/20/2015 2:36:52 PM, Cermank wrote:
LightheartedEmpiricist:

This sounds *extremely* interesting, endark. Best of luck!

Thanks, Cermank!
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 6:40:17 PM
I read this. And it was entertaining.

That is all.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 8:34:10 PM
At 2/20/2015 7:00:55 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/20/2015 6:40:17 PM, bluesteel wrote:
I read this. And it was entertaining.

That is all.