Total Posts:112|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

DDO's Great Cultural Divide

YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 10:23:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
There are the crazies who think that being gay is a mental illness (who think that Jung still matters to contemporary psychology), that it's acceptable to use "f@g" in an intentionally derogatory way and who are ok having debates that discuss illegal sex acts.... and then there is everyone else.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 10:24:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 10:23:22 AM, YYW wrote:
There are the crazies who think that being gay is a mental illness (who think that Jung still matters to contemporary psychology), that it's acceptable to use "f@g" in an intentionally derogatory way and who are ok having debates that discuss illegal sex acts.... and then there is everyone else.

Ok then
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 10:33:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
http://feistythoughts.com...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 10:54:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 10:23:22 AM, YYW wrote:
There are the crazies who think that being gay is a mental illness (who think that Jung still matters to contemporary psychology), that it's acceptable to use "f@g" in an intentionally derogatory way and who are ok having debates that discuss illegal sex acts.... and then there is everyone else.

lol, did I just get lumped into the same category as Ajab and Zarroette???
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 10:58:16 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 10:23:22 AM, YYW wrote:
There are the crazies who think that being gay is a mental illness (who think that Jung still matters to contemporary psychology), that it's acceptable to use "f@g" in an intentionally derogatory way and who are ok having debates that discuss illegal sex acts.... and then there is everyone else.

This isn't much of a divide... Like at all. If you took out the debates on illegal sex acts and the one on Jung then you would more efficiently split the crazies from the more normal members. Jung is too trivial of an opinion and I'm pretty sure you're one of the only ones against having debates on illegal sex acts.
Nolite Timere
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,070
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 10:59:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Great to see that you're unbiased and impartial on these matters.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:00:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 10:54:56 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/21/2015 10:23:22 AM, YYW wrote:
There are the crazies who think that being gay is a mental illness (who think that Jung still matters to contemporary psychology), that it's acceptable to use "f@g" in an intentionally derogatory way and who are ok having debates that discuss illegal sex acts.... and then there is everyone else.

lol, did I just get lumped into the same category as Ajab and Zarroette???

It's okay to be a lolicon
Join the club
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:06:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 10:54:56 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/21/2015 10:23:22 AM, YYW wrote:
There are the crazies who think that being gay is a mental illness (who think that Jung still matters to contemporary psychology), that it's acceptable to use "f@g" in an intentionally derogatory way and who are ok having debates that discuss illegal sex acts.... and then there is everyone else.

lol, did I just get lumped into the same category as Ajab and Zarroette???

Bestiality isn't universally illegal... there is Alabama.

Raping 9 year olds is...
Tsar of DDO
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:06:58 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 11:06:04 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/21/2015 10:54:56 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/21/2015 10:23:22 AM, YYW wrote:
There are the crazies who think that being gay is a mental illness (who think that Jung still matters to contemporary psychology), that it's acceptable to use "f@g" in an intentionally derogatory way and who are ok having debates that discuss illegal sex acts.... and then there is everyone else.

lol, did I just get lumped into the same category as Ajab and Zarroette???

Bestiality isn't universally illegal... there is Alabama.

Raping 9 year olds is...

Hahaha, thanks Alabama, for saving me from being lumped into this category.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:14:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 11:06:58 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/21/2015 11:06:04 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/21/2015 10:54:56 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/21/2015 10:23:22 AM, YYW wrote:
There are the crazies who think that being gay is a mental illness (who think that Jung still matters to contemporary psychology), that it's acceptable to use "f@g" in an intentionally derogatory way and who are ok having debates that discuss illegal sex acts.... and then there is everyone else.

lol, did I just get lumped into the same category as Ajab and Zarroette???

Bestiality isn't universally illegal... there is Alabama.

Raping 9 year olds is...

Hahaha, thanks Alabama, for saving me from being lumped into this category.

Really, I'd forgotten that you had all those beastiality debates until you responded. I thought about just saying "debates about raping 9 year olds" but I thought that might be too graphic.

The point I'm articulating though is more or less to outline the extent to which there is a group of people on DDO who are on the outside, and to bring to their attention why they are on the outside.

This is sort of like "otherizing" people, but, beyond that, it's drawing attention to the fact that there is a group of people who have either lost touch with their basic decency or who never had it in the first place. Hard to say...

The tendency among members of that group (and seriously, we all know who they are) is to believe that their thoughts/perceptions about things are representative of the broader community. This post is purposed to illustrate the fact that they are wrong, in that regard.

To be clear, because (while I know you're not going to misread this, I know others will... because they don't read carefully enough or they don't understand what they read) this is not me saying that they should be censored or anything like that.

That group of people can continue to do what they're doing, at least until Max decides otherwise. But, the fact that they chose to do something -even if not strictly forbidden- that is nevertheless wrong is significant.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:17:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 10:59:01 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Great to see that you're unbiased and impartial on these matters.

I am definitely biased against raping 9 year olds, pseudoscience and stupidity. Yes.

This is a spectacularly disappointing comment, though. The reason it's disappointing is that here and now, you're demonstrating that you don't understand what the purpose of being unbiased is for: it's to separate fact from bullsh!t. The purpose is not to be tempted to intellectually entertain bullsh!t, the substance of which I articulated in the OP.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:24:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I want to draw particular attention to the fact that among the "in" group, there are liberals and conservatives, republicans and democrats, libertarians and authoritarians (if you count Ore as an authoritarian). Among the "out" group are Cassie, Ajab, Wylted, Zmikecuber, and Wylted.

Wylted wasn't always in that group, but he chose to be there, by his actions. It's very disappointing.
Tsar of DDO
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:25:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 11:17:01 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/21/2015 10:59:01 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Great to see that you're unbiased and impartial on these matters.

I am definitely biased against raping 9 year olds, pseudoscience and stupidity. Yes.

This is a spectacularly disappointing comment, though. The reason it's disappointing is that here and now, you're demonstrating that you don't understand what the purpose of being unbiased is for: it's to separate fact from bullsh!t. The purpose is not to be tempted to intellectually entertain bullsh!t, the substance of which I articulated in the OP.

YYW, I think there is a divide on the site, between people worth talking to and people who should just be ignored. The people you referenced in the OP and some you have responded to here (and The_Fool and BornofGod) tend to fall into the latter category.

There are some great people on the site. And there are some people who are determined to ruin the discussion due to their personal faults. I honestly think that after a user has been given multiple chances to try to actually engage with people, instead of arrogantly spouting their beliefs like gospel, at some point the site should decide to just freeze them out and ignore them.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:27:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 11:25:12 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/21/2015 11:17:01 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/21/2015 10:59:01 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Great to see that you're unbiased and impartial on these matters.

I am definitely biased against raping 9 year olds, pseudoscience and stupidity. Yes.

This is a spectacularly disappointing comment, though. The reason it's disappointing is that here and now, you're demonstrating that you don't understand what the purpose of being unbiased is for: it's to separate fact from bullsh!t. The purpose is not to be tempted to intellectually entertain bullsh!t, the substance of which I articulated in the OP.

YYW, I think there is a divide on the site, between people worth talking to and people who should just be ignored. The people you referenced in the OP and some you have responded to here (and The_Fool and BornofGod) tend to fall into the latter category.

There are some great people on the site. And there are some people who are determined to ruin the discussion due to their personal faults. I honestly think that after a user has been given multiple chances to try to actually engage with people, instead of arrogantly spouting their beliefs like gospel, at some point the site should decide to just freeze them out and ignore them.

This thread is kind of a step in that direction...

Blacklisting people requires notice, if we're going to get enough people behind it to make it viable.
Tsar of DDO
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,070
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:27:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 11:24:28 AM, YYW wrote:
I want to draw particular attention to the fact that among the "in" group, there are liberals and conservatives, republicans and democrats, libertarians and authoritarians (if you count Ore as an authoritarian). Among the "out" group are Cassie, Ajab, Wylted, Zmikecuber, and Wylted.

Wylted wasn't always in that group, but he chose to be there, by his actions. It's very disappointing.

You listed Wylted twice.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:28:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 11:27:15 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 2/21/2015 11:24:28 AM, YYW wrote:
I want to draw particular attention to the fact that among the "in" group, there are liberals and conservatives, republicans and democrats, libertarians and authoritarians (if you count Ore as an authoritarian). Among the "out" group are Cassie, Ajab, Wylted, and Zmikecuber.

Wylted wasn't always in that group, but he chose to be there, by his actions. It's very disappointing.

You listed Wylted twice.

Fixed.

I've debated whether to include Wylted in that category... the reason is because he wasn't always "blacklist worthy." But, of late... he is.
Tsar of DDO
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,070
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:36:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
You seem to be blacklisting anyone who disagrees with homosexuality, though for some reason I'm not on this list. Or rather, are you blacklisting those who say particularly offensive things about homosexuality? Please clarify as to what behavior necessitates putting someone on this list.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:58:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 10:23:22 AM, YYW wrote:
There are the crazies who think that being gay is a mental illness (who think that Jung still matters to contemporary psychology), that it's acceptable to use "f@g" in an intentionally derogatory way and who are ok having debates that discuss illegal sex acts.... and then there is everyone else.

I think it's refreshing we can have those perspectives here. With the freedom to say those things come the opposite, which is everyone else's right to call them f*cking morons.
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:59:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 11:58:24 AM, TN05 wrote:
At 2/21/2015 10:23:22 AM, YYW wrote:
There are the crazies who think that being gay is a mental illness (who think that Jung still matters to contemporary psychology), that it's acceptable to use "f@g" in an intentionally derogatory way and who are ok having debates that discuss illegal sex acts.... and then there is everyone else.

I think it's refreshing we can have those perspectives here. With the freedom to say those things come the opposite, which is everyone else's right to call them f*cking morons.

I'm glad you think there is a bright side. I think to me, it more or less feels like plunging my head into a vat of human sh!t every time I talk to them.
Tsar of DDO
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 12:08:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 11:36:25 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
You seem to be blacklisting anyone who disagrees with homosexuality, though for some reason I'm not on this list. Or rather, are you blacklisting those who say particularly offensive things about homosexuality? Please clarify as to what behavior necessitates putting someone on this list.

It sounds like you want to be on that list.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,070
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 12:19:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 12:08:18 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 2/21/2015 11:36:25 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
You seem to be blacklisting anyone who disagrees with homosexuality, though for some reason I'm not on this list. Or rather, are you blacklisting those who say particularly offensive things about homosexuality? Please clarify as to what behavior necessitates putting someone on this list.

It sounds like you want to be on that list.

It's a tad unsettling; he seems to be suggesting that the DDO community "boycott" and shun every person who has expressed criticism of homosexuality. For instance, "debates on illegal sex acts" suggests he wants the Site to shun anyone who believes in the Slippery Slope (call the Slippery Slope a fallacy if you will, but the fallacy label really does not affect its validity).
I agree that those who descend to legitimate hate speech and refuse to stop should be confronted, but his definition of hate speech is a tad too broad for my taste.
As for mental illness, that really depends on how you define mental illness.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 1:13:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 11:06:58 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/21/2015 11:06:04 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/21/2015 10:54:56 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/21/2015 10:23:22 AM, YYW wrote:
There are the crazies who think that being gay is a mental illness (who think that Jung still matters to contemporary psychology), that it's acceptable to use "f@g" in an intentionally derogatory way and who are ok having debates that discuss illegal sex acts.... and then there is everyone else.

lol, did I just get lumped into the same category as Ajab and Zarroette???

Bestiality isn't universally illegal... there is Alabama.

Raping 9 year olds is...

Hahaha, thanks Alabama, for saving me from being lumped into this category.

Thanks Alabama needs to be the new thanks Obama.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,070
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 1:35:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 11:06:58 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/21/2015 11:06:04 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/21/2015 10:54:56 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/21/2015 10:23:22 AM, YYW wrote:
There are the crazies who think that being gay is a mental illness (who think that Jung still matters to contemporary psychology), that it's acceptable to use "f@g" in an intentionally derogatory way and who are ok having debates that discuss illegal sex acts.... and then there is everyone else.

lol, did I just get lumped into the same category as Ajab and Zarroette???

Bestiality isn't universally illegal... there is Alabama.

Raping 9 year olds is...

Hahaha, thanks Alabama, for saving me from being lumped into this category.

http://watchdog.org...
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 1:43:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 11:06:04 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/21/2015 10:54:56 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/21/2015 10:23:22 AM, YYW wrote:
There are the crazies who think that being gay is a mental illness (who think that Jung still matters to contemporary psychology), that it's acceptable to use "f@g" in an intentionally derogatory way and who are ok having debates that discuss illegal sex acts.... and then there is everyone else.

lol, did I just get lumped into the same category as Ajab and Zarroette???

Bestiality isn't universally illegal... there is Alabama.

And New Jersey.

Raping 9 year olds is...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:28:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/21/2015 10:23:22 AM, YYW wrote:
There are the crazies who think that being gay is a mental illness (who think that Jung still matters to contemporary psychology), that it's acceptable to use "f@g" in an intentionally derogatory way and who are ok having debates that discuss illegal sex acts.... and then there is everyone else.

You live in a very very very small sheltered world.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 12:41:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/22/2015 12:30:49 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Back my day, the great cultural divide was whether or not to be an Anarchist.

What are you doing back? You made it out. Get the hell out of here and live, dammit.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 12:44:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/22/2015 12:41:02 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 2/22/2015 12:30:49 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Back my day, the great cultural divide was whether or not to be an Anarchist.

What are you doing back? You made it out. Get the hell out of here and live, dammit.

This website will be mine one day.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord