Jump to topic:

Is being gay natural?

tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 11:57:43 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hi, I always wondered if being gay is natural or un-natural. If someone would provide an answer, I would appreciate it.

Thank You,
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 12:14:38 PM
At 2/22/2015 11:57:43 AM, tajshar2k wrote:
Hi, I always wondered if being gay is natural or un-natural. If someone would provide an answer, I would appreciate it.

Thank You,

Natural. We have observed 1,500 animal species engaging in homosexuality. [1] It is not something invented by humans. It occurs in nature.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 12:21:38 PM

Thank You,

Science Forum This Way
------------------------->

Society Forum That Way
<-------------------------
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 12:45:24 PM
At 2/22/2015 12:14:38 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Thank You,

Natural. We have observed 1,500 animal species engaging in homosexuality. [1] It is not something invented by humans. It occurs in nature.

I've always hated the argument of the 1,500+ species, since it only applies to homosexual behaviours, rather than a sexual attraction. If every girl who got drunk and made out with another girl was classified as homosexual, then straight girls would be a minority.

I can't think of a better example than Roy and Silo from central park zoo. Two male penguins that were performing mating rituals with each other and seen trying to hatch a rock. They were given an abandoned egg and they hatched that egg and raised the baby. Unfortunately for the "the penguins being naturally gay" argument, one of them (I can't remember who) later found a female and ditched his male partner, suggesting that he was not gay because of any internal sexual attraction, but because he couldn't find a suitable female and settled with what he could get.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 12:52:50 PM
At 2/22/2015 12:45:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Thank You,

I've always hated the argument of the 1,500+ species, since it only applies to homosexual behaviours, rather than a sexual attraction. If every girl who got drunk and made out with another girl was classified as homosexual, then straight girls would be a minority.

I can't think of a better example than Roy and Silo from central park zoo. Two male penguins that were performing mating rituals with each other and seen trying to hatch a rock. They were given an abandoned egg and they hatched that egg and raised the baby. Unfortunately for the "the penguins being naturally gay" argument, one of them (I can't remember who) later found a female and ditched his male partner, suggesting that he was not gay because of any internal sexual attraction, but because he couldn't find a suitable female and settled with what he could get.

Silo has a girlfriend and Roy is alone.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 1:02:13 PM
At 2/22/2015 12:21:38 PM, Envisage wrote:

Thank You,

Science Forum This Way
------------------------->

Society Forum That Way
<-------------------------

Neither of those forums are in the directions indicated. This post has been reported.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 1:03:25 PM

Thank You,

There are some species in which a certain percentage of the species *solely* engages in homosexual sex (e.g. rams).

The analogy to a zoo is not very apt, considering that mate availability is less of an issue in the wild. Animals in the wild aren't stuck together with only another male in a cage.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 1:08:40 PM

Thank You,

You should post this in the Society or Politics section.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 1:10:48 PM
This is always a very interesting question for me, because it presupposes that there is some meaning to homosexuality's being natural.

We do not look to the natural world for the basis of our morals. Nature is beautiful, but violent and barbaric. It is -har har har- a "state of nature."

Murder is natural, for example. Animals kill other animals, and even members of their own species all the time.

Rape is natural. Strong male creatures rape weaker female creatures all the time.

Violence is natural. Ever see big cats fighting? How about gorillas? Bears? All... very violent creatures.

Nature doesn't tell us what is right and wrong.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 1:13:37 PM
Rule by strength alone is natural.

Inequality and exploitation are natural.

Killing off the weak or potential challengers is natural.

...again, nature isn't really a good way to tell us what's right and wrong, because we are different from; that is to say we are distinct from the animals.
Tsar of DDO
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 1:15:58 PM
"Homosexuality is wrong because it isn't natural"

He says, as he takes out his iPhone while sitting in his car driving on tarmac in a cosmopolitan city speaking a constantly evolving language...A totally "natural" lifestyle.

I really, really do not understand what is even meant by, "is homosexuality natural?" because it comes with a negative connotation...which is absolute rubbish.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 3:05:56 PM
At 2/22/2015 1:15:58 PM, CJKAllstar wrote:
"Homosexuality is wrong because it isn't natural"

He says, as he takes out his iPhone while sitting in his car driving on tarmac in a cosmopolitan city speaking a constantly evolving language...A totally "natural" lifestyle.

I really, really do not understand what is even meant by, "is homosexuality natural?" because it comes with a negative connotation...which is absolute rubbish.

Depends what you mean by natural.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 3:18:01 PM
At 2/22/2015 1:03:25 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Thank You,

There are some species in which a certain percentage of the species *solely* engages in homosexual sex (e.g. rams).

The typical claim for rams is that about 16% of male rams never have intercourse with females. Of that 16%, 10% are gay the other 6% are asexual. What is interesting is that the exclusive homosexuals actually become heterosexual in the mating season and compete for the top heterosexual position so they can breed. But if the end up losing, they become homosexual again. So, actually, exclusive homosexuality is quite rare and is influenced by environmental factors. Further, in areas where the dominant male is killed for conservation purposes, the homosexual males tend to become heterosexual because, well, they have less competition. They are good at it, too. They are not poorly preforming heterosexuals. Research for domesticated rams also finds that mounting behaviors are often not homosexual but are done because the rams want to be dominant.
http://www.mygenes.co.nz...

Is being gay natural? Probably not. But who cares. My keyboard is plastic, it isn't natural. Plus, there is some research indicating straight people may not be born that way, either.
http://www.mygenes.co.nz...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross