Jump to topic:

Reminder: Not all DDO members are American

UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 10:58:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It occurs to me that DDO needs a reminder that not all members are from the United States. So many threads, debates, posts, topics, etc., either implicitly or explicitly make the assumption that we are all from America with phrases like "our country", or "our government". Other times, it's statements like "x should be legalized", to which I can only respond, "it already is.... for me".

Some of you might find it useful to realize that this is the internet, and it is therefore unreasonable to assume that the rest of us live in your country. Many of us don't.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 11:49:47 PM
At 2/22/2015 10:58:41 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:
It occurs to me that DDO needs a reminder that not all members are from the United States. So many threads, debates, posts, topics, etc., either implicitly or explicitly make the assumption that we are all from America with phrases like "our country", or "our government". Other times, it's statements like "x should be legalized", to which I can only respond, "it already is.... for me".

Some of you might find it useful to realize that this is the internet, and it is therefore unreasonable to assume that the rest of us live in your country. Many of us don't.

In our country, everyone is an American.

Except the illegals.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 11:57:35 PM
At 2/22/2015 11:49:47 PM, bluesteel wrote:

In our country, everyone is an American.

Except the illegals.

Wrong... Only the gun-loving god-fearing Obama-hating purebred Americans are American <_<
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 12:10:31 AM

http://www.quickmeme.com...
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 12:20:28 AM
I approve of this reminder. Similarly, I've recently stopped referring to the US as America. God, having a Canadian fiancee really changes you.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 1:11:47 AM
At 2/23/2015 12:20:28 AM, Maikuru wrote:
I approve of this reminder. Similarly, I've recently stopped referring to the US as America. God, having a Canadian fiancee really changes you.

http://www.tshirtsbuy.com...
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 1:12:11 AM

Tulle is Canadian?
Senpai has noticed you.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 1:19:46 AM

I find your complaint to be unAmerican.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 8:15:46 AM
At 2/23/2015 1:19:46 AM, philochristos wrote:

I find your complaint to be unAmerican.

It is quite un-American indeed.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 8:16:21 AM

I think most canadians refer to the states as America as well =P
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 11:58:04 AM
I approve of this reminder. Similarly, I've recently stopped referring to the US as America.
I'm trying to get into this habit as well.

God, having a Canadian fiancee really changes you.
Just wait. It only gets worse. ;)
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 12:01:02 PM

While you are correct that it can be ego-centric or confusing, a major way to battle this is simply by having your profile updated with your location.

After all, why should I, or anyone for that matter, need to explain what country I am referring to when I say "my country" or "this" or "our" or even referencing society, when you can clearly look at my profile to see that I hail from the Midwest.

Problem solved.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 12:31:55 PM
At 2/23/2015 12:01:02 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

While you are correct that it can be ego-centric or confusing, a major way to battle this is simply by having your profile updated with your location.

After all, why should I, or anyone for that matter, need to explain what country I am referring to when I say "my country" or "this" or "our" or even referencing society, when you can clearly look at my profile to see that I hail from the Midwest.

Problem solved.

I fail to see how this addresses anything. Also, I don't see it as a problem. It's more of a silly implicit assumption inherent to how many phrase their generalized statements.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 12:40:21 PM
At 2/23/2015 12:31:55 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Problem solved.

I fail to see how this addresses anything.
Really?
You don't see how this addresses your issue of me saying "my country"?
Okay, then.

Also, I don't see it as a problem. It's more of a silly implicit assumption inherent to how many phrase their generalized statements.
Clearly you do see it as a problem, otherwise you wouldn't have made a post suggesting a change in attitude and text is required.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 12:53:29 PM
At 2/23/2015 12:40:21 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Problem solved.

Really?
Okay, then.

There's no issue with people saying "my country". The issue is with people saying "our country" or otherwise implying that what is relevant to only their country is relevant to all of us.

Also, I don't see it as a problem. It's more of a silly implicit assumption inherent to how many phrase their generalized statements.
Clearly you do see it as a problem, otherwise you wouldn't have made a post suggesting a change in attitude and text is required.

I don't see it as a problem, but people may wish to phrase things more precisely and/or accurately and make fewer assumptions, explicit or implicit. It's more something that I find amusing (and sometimes a little annoying) rather than problematic.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 1:00:54 PM
At 2/23/2015 12:53:29 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Problem solved.

Really?
Okay, then.

There's no issue with people saying "my country". The issue is with people saying "our country" or otherwise implying that what is relevant to only their country is relevant to all of us.

You're right. We should be more divisive.
Our, the possessive of we and us, clearly indicated an assumption that you are part of my reference point.
It sounds to me as if you are assuming that I am talking to you, so maybe it is you who should stop assuming that when I refer to our state, our beliefs, or our nation, that I am addressing you at all, and am actually just addressing those that the message applies to.

I don't see it as a problem, but people may wish to phrase things more precisely and/or accurately and make fewer assumptions, explicit or implicit. It's more something that I find amusing (and sometimes a little annoying) rather than problematic.
Start with amusing yourself, then, and realize this is
1. How people talk
2. That you are assuming yourself as part of the group
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 1:06:10 PM
At 2/23/2015 1:00:54 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 2/23/2015 12:53:29 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Problem solved.

Really?
Okay, then.

You're right. We should be more divisive.

It's about not having enough specificity for others to know what someone is referring to.

Our, the possessive of we and us, clearly indicated an assumption that you are part of my reference point.
It sounds to me as if you are assuming that I am talking to you, so maybe it is you who should stop assuming that when I refer to our state, our beliefs, or our nation, that I am addressing you at all, and am actually just addressing those that the message applies to.

And if you, hypothetically, refer to "our government" without any specificity, who are you referring to? In your case, you have your location in your profile, and we could go look that up, but not everyone who makes these generalizations lists their location. Why not simply state what is being referred to specifically?

Start with amusing yourself, then, and realize this is
1. How people talk
2. That you are assuming yourself as part of the group

1. Then I believe that people should speak more precisely to avoid confusion.
2. I'm not, but my point is that some people are assuming we're all part of their group, often implicitly.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 4:27:02 PM
At 2/23/2015 1:11:47 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

http://www.tshirtsbuy.com...

LOL
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 4:27:47 PM
At 2/23/2015 1:12:11 AM, Beginner wrote:

Tulle is Canadian?

Yup. I enjoy it up there. It's like the US, but clean.
- lamerde

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 6:47:00 PM
At 2/23/2015 4:27:47 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 2/23/2015 1:12:11 AM, Beginner wrote:

Tulle is Canadian?

Yup. I enjoy it up there. It's like the US, but clean.

Bby I misses u
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 9:13:11 PM

DDO is a website based in America, maybe you should consider that. We don't cater to you, you assimilate to us. The vast majority of users are American "THE VAST MAJORITY"
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 9:21:53 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa..... there are countries other than America?
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 10:24:20 PM
At 2/23/2015 9:21:53 PM, komododragon8 wrote:

Amazing, isn't it?
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 10:24:47 PM
At 2/23/2015 9:13:11 PM, sadolite wrote:

DDO is a website based in America, maybe you should consider that. We don't cater to you, you assimilate to us. The vast majority of users are American "THE VAST MAJORITY"

Lol.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 10:31:12 PM

If I go onto a French website and people there "our country is so great" it isn't hard to figure out. Not everyone on DDO is from the US, but the vast majority are, and Juggle is a US company.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 10:32:01 PM
At 2/23/2015 9:21:53 PM, komododragon8 wrote:

I laughed =D
- lamerde

UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 10:37:02 PM
At 2/23/2015 10:31:12 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

If I go onto a French website and people there "our country is so great" it isn't hard to figure out. Not everyone on DDO is from the US, but the vast majority are, and Juggle is a US company.

This applies very clearly in physical space, where borders must be crossed, but there are no such borders on the internet unless different languages are spoken. I don't think this point really applies in this context.

Facebook is based in the US, but I doubt it is legitimate to claim that the default country of reference should be the US on Facebook.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 10:46:21 PM
At 2/23/2015 10:37:02 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

This applies very clearly in physical space, where borders must be crossed, but there are no such borders on the internet unless different languages are spoken. I don't think this point really applies in this context.

Facebook is based in the US, but I doubt it is legitimate to claim that the default country of reference should be the US on Facebook.

For facebook.com, I believe the US is the default unless you change it. However, facebook intentionally reaches out to a global market. DDO, not so much. In addition, your comments were about what people, or what members of DDO say, not DDO itself. As I said, on a french website or a french forum, if someone says "my country" it would be simple enough to figure out what they mean.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 11:07:05 PM

Just enjoy the second-hand freedom you feel for being mistaken for an American. DDO is an inclusive place where we assume that since you're such a great fellow you must also be from the greatest country in the world.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 12:27:31 AM
At 2/23/2015 10:46:21 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 2/23/2015 10:37:02 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

For facebook.com, I believe the US is the default unless you change it. However, facebook intentionally reaches out to a global market. DDO, not so much. In addition, your comments were about what people, or what members of DDO say, not DDO itself. As I said, on a french website or a french forum, if someone says "my country" it would be simple enough to figure out what they mean.

I was also talking about what people say on a site like Facebook. I don't really see this as an american website. It may be hosted in america, but what makes it american?