Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Willing Voters

Varrack
Posts: 2,410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?
YYW
Posts: 36,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 6:21:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

For me, it depends. If a 1000 character RFD is enough for the debaters, then I'll usually be willing to vote. If debaters want more than that (like, a 6 part critique of the debate) then my willingness to vote depends on:

1. My interest in the topic (the absence of my aversion to the topic).
2. The amount of free time I have when asked to vote.
3. Whether I think the debaters are going to read and understand my RFD.

But because it is important to me to be *exacting* (like, I read everything, read it carefully, and am keen to pay attention to every little detail), and because that process takes time, I'm not always going to be willing to vote on every debate.
BLAHthedebator
Posts: 982
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 6:27:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

For me it depends on

1) How interesting the debate is to me
2) If too many points are, IMO, awarded to the wrong side (even if their RFD is valid)
3) How much time I have
4) How controversial/popular the debate is

I rank these on a scale of ten. The closer I get to 40 the more I will probably dedicate to voting and writing an RFD.
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas...
Is...
Youuuuuu
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 6:39:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

Lannan13, I believe, will vote on any debate offered him, but I'm not sure. He is top of the voting leaderboard though
Senpai has noticed you.
Varrack
Posts: 2,410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 6:41:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 6:39:58 PM, Beginner wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

Lannan13, I believe, will vote on any debate offered him, but I'm not sure. He is top of the voting leaderboard though

Not every debate..
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 6:48:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 6:21:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

For me, it depends. If a 1000 character RFD is enough for the debaters, then I'll usually be willing to vote. If debaters want more than that (like, a 6 part critique of the debate) then my willingness to vote depends on:

: 1. My interest in the topic (the absence of my aversion to the topic).
2. The amount of free time I have when asked to vote.
3. Whether I think the debaters are going to read and understand my RFD.

But because it is important to me to be *exacting* (like, I read everything, read it carefully, and am keen to pay attention to every little detail), and because that process takes time, I'm not always going to be willing to vote on every debate.

This is the biggest one for me... And honestly a 1000 character RFD is usually enough, but since people like the super long RFD's I usually only vote on interesting debates :P

So if you ever have a debate on economics, stuff like that, I will vote. It is pretty obvious what my interests are XD
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
YYW
Posts: 36,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 6:51:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 6:48:35 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:21:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

For me, it depends. If a 1000 character RFD is enough for the debaters, then I'll usually be willing to vote. If debaters want more than that (like, a 6 part critique of the debate) then my willingness to vote depends on:

: 1. My interest in the topic (the absence of my aversion to the topic).
2. The amount of free time I have when asked to vote.
3. Whether I think the debaters are going to read and understand my RFD.

But because it is important to me to be *exacting* (like, I read everything, read it carefully, and am keen to pay attention to every little detail), and because that process takes time, I'm not always going to be willing to vote on every debate.

This is the biggest one for me... And honestly a 1000 character RFD is usually enough, but since people like the super long RFD's I usually only vote on interesting debates :P

So if you ever have a debate on economics, stuff like that, I will vote. It is pretty obvious what my interests are XD

It's usually the biggest one for me too... like there are some debates that I just won't judge... even if asked:

1. God's existence
2. Evolution
3. Abortion
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 6:51:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 6:41:21 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:39:58 PM, Beginner wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

Lannan13, I believe, will vote on any debate offered him, but I'm not sure. He is top of the voting leaderboard though

Not every debate..

Every FF"d debate then.
Senpai has noticed you.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 6:53:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 6:51:37 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:48:35 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:21:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

For me, it depends. If a 1000 character RFD is enough for the debaters, then I'll usually be willing to vote. If debaters want more than that (like, a 6 part critique of the debate) then my willingness to vote depends on:

: 1. My interest in the topic (the absence of my aversion to the topic).
2. The amount of free time I have when asked to vote.
3. Whether I think the debaters are going to read and understand my RFD.

But because it is important to me to be *exacting* (like, I read everything, read it carefully, and am keen to pay attention to every little detail), and because that process takes time, I'm not always going to be willing to vote on every debate.

This is the biggest one for me... And honestly a 1000 character RFD is usually enough, but since people like the super long RFD's I usually only vote on interesting debates :P

So if you ever have a debate on economics, stuff like that, I will vote. It is pretty obvious what my interests are XD

It's usually the biggest one for me too... like there are some debates that I just won't judge... even if asked:

1. God's existence
2. Evolution
3. Abortion

I would judge abortion but not the other two.

Also, this might sound dumb... but fonts matter to me. I HATE the default font. It is Tahoma. It is ok if you make it larger than the default size, but if not I usually zoom in to like 150%... I prefer serif fonts when I read a debate. That's why I am beginning to use Georgia size 12 for my debates.

So if anyone wants to win my favor use a serif font :P
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
YYW
Posts: 36,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 6:54:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 6:53:22 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:51:37 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:48:35 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:21:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

For me, it depends. If a 1000 character RFD is enough for the debaters, then I'll usually be willing to vote. If debaters want more than that (like, a 6 part critique of the debate) then my willingness to vote depends on:

: 1. My interest in the topic (the absence of my aversion to the topic).
2. The amount of free time I have when asked to vote.
3. Whether I think the debaters are going to read and understand my RFD.

But because it is important to me to be *exacting* (like, I read everything, read it carefully, and am keen to pay attention to every little detail), and because that process takes time, I'm not always going to be willing to vote on every debate.

This is the biggest one for me... And honestly a 1000 character RFD is usually enough, but since people like the super long RFD's I usually only vote on interesting debates :P

So if you ever have a debate on economics, stuff like that, I will vote. It is pretty obvious what my interests are XD

It's usually the biggest one for me too... like there are some debates that I just won't judge... even if asked:

1. God's existence
2. Evolution
3. Abortion

I would judge abortion but not the other two.

Also, this might sound dumb... but fonts matter to me. I HATE the default font. It is Tahoma. It is ok if you make it larger than the default size, but if not I usually zoom in to like 150%... I prefer serif fonts when I read a debate. That's why I am beginning to use Georgia size 12 for my debates.

So if anyone wants to win my favor use a serif font :P

It's not dumb....

I will not judge a tiny font debate or a debate that's poorly formatted, unless it's a topic that I'm really interested in or the extant RFD's look fishy.
Varrack
Posts: 2,410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 6:56:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 6:53:22 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:51:37 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:48:35 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:21:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

For me, it depends. If a 1000 character RFD is enough for the debaters, then I'll usually be willing to vote. If debaters want more than that (like, a 6 part critique of the debate) then my willingness to vote depends on:

: 1. My interest in the topic (the absence of my aversion to the topic).
2. The amount of free time I have when asked to vote.
3. Whether I think the debaters are going to read and understand my RFD.

But because it is important to me to be *exacting* (like, I read everything, read it carefully, and am keen to pay attention to every little detail), and because that process takes time, I'm not always going to be willing to vote on every debate.

This is the biggest one for me... And honestly a 1000 character RFD is usually enough, but since people like the super long RFD's I usually only vote on interesting debates :P

So if you ever have a debate on economics, stuff like that, I will vote. It is pretty obvious what my interests are XD

It's usually the biggest one for me too... like there are some debates that I just won't judge... even if asked:

1. God's existence
2. Evolution
3. Abortion

I would judge abortion but not the other two.

Also, this might sound dumb... but fonts matter to me. I HATE the default font. It is Tahoma. It is ok if you make it larger than the default size, but if not I usually zoom in to like 150%... I prefer serif fonts when I read a debate. That's why I am beginning to use Georgia size 12 for my debates.

So if anyone wants to win my favor use a serif font :P

Why do you hate Tahoma? Like 95% of debates on this site are that font so that might be tricky lol
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 6:57:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 6:54:37 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:53:22 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:51:37 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:48:35 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:21:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

For me, it depends. If a 1000 character RFD is enough for the debaters, then I'll usually be willing to vote. If debaters want more than that (like, a 6 part critique of the debate) then my willingness to vote depends on:

: 1. My interest in the topic (the absence of my aversion to the topic).
2. The amount of free time I have when asked to vote.
3. Whether I think the debaters are going to read and understand my RFD.

But because it is important to me to be *exacting* (like, I read everything, read it carefully, and am keen to pay attention to every little detail), and because that process takes time, I'm not always going to be willing to vote on every debate.

This is the biggest one for me... And honestly a 1000 character RFD is usually enough, but since people like the super long RFD's I usually only vote on interesting debates :P

So if you ever have a debate on economics, stuff like that, I will vote. It is pretty obvious what my interests are XD

It's usually the biggest one for me too... like there are some debates that I just won't judge... even if asked:

1. God's existence
2. Evolution
3. Abortion

I would judge abortion but not the other two.

Also, this might sound dumb... but fonts matter to me. I HATE the default font. It is Tahoma. It is ok if you make it larger than the default size, but if not I usually zoom in to like 150%... I prefer serif fonts when I read a debate. That's why I am beginning to use Georgia size 12 for my debates.

So if anyone wants to win my favor use a serif font :P

It's not dumb....

I will not judge a tiny font debate or a debate that's poorly formatted, unless it's a topic that I'm really interested in or the extant RFD's look fishy.

Yeah I voted on your debate with kasmic because I like you. But his font (comic sans) gives me cancer.

Here are the best fonts, in my opinion, offered on this website:
Tahoma pt 14
Georga pt 12
Book Antigua pt 12 or pt14

I wish forums had rich text so people would use Georgia for their paragraphs. I don't like the forums because if someone rights a long paragraph, I cry :P
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 7:01:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 6:56:53 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:53:22 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:51:37 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:48:35 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:21:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

For me, it depends. If a 1000 character RFD is enough for the debaters, then I'll usually be willing to vote. If debaters want more than that (like, a 6 part critique of the debate) then my willingness to vote depends on:

: 1. My interest in the topic (the absence of my aversion to the topic).
2. The amount of free time I have when asked to vote.
3. Whether I think the debaters are going to read and understand my RFD.

But because it is important to me to be *exacting* (like, I read everything, read it carefully, and am keen to pay attention to every little detail), and because that process takes time, I'm not always going to be willing to vote on every debate.

This is the biggest one for me... And honestly a 1000 character RFD is usually enough, but since people like the super long RFD's I usually only vote on interesting debates :P

So if you ever have a debate on economics, stuff like that, I will vote. It is pretty obvious what my interests are XD

It's usually the biggest one for me too... like there are some debates that I just won't judge... even if asked:

1. God's existence
2. Evolution
3. Abortion

I would judge abortion but not the other two.

Also, this might sound dumb... but fonts matter to me. I HATE the default font. It is Tahoma. It is ok if you make it larger than the default size, but if not I usually zoom in to like 150%... I prefer serif fonts when I read a debate. That's why I am beginning to use Georgia size 12 for my debates.

So if anyone wants to win my favor use a serif font :P

Why do you hate Tahoma? Like 95% of debates on this site are that font so that might be tricky lol

I like it when it is enlarged. Look here: http://www.debate.org...

That is Verdana size 11. I can read the default font, but it looks terrible in long paragraphs.

Another pet peve: quotes like this "". It is actually grammatically incorrect to say: Varrack says "16k is a noob cancer lover". You use " for measurements, the slanted ones are for quoting people. So the default font here makes me cry like that.

I will, and have, voted on debates with the default font. But if you really want me to love ya, use Book Antigua pt 12 or 14, Georgia 12, or Verdana 11 or 12. And write your argument in google docs or word, then paste in to rich text, so you get the correct quotation marks :P

Like bsh1 uses the default font and the "" quotes, but I still like reading his debates.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
lannan13
Posts: 23,017
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 7:05:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

I'll give a debate a vote.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Varrack
Posts: 2,410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 7:13:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 7:01:19 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:56:53 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:53:22 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:51:37 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:48:35 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:21:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

For me, it depends. If a 1000 character RFD is enough for the debaters, then I'll usually be willing to vote. If debaters want more than that (like, a 6 part critique of the debate) then my willingness to vote depends on:

: 1. My interest in the topic (the absence of my aversion to the topic).
2. The amount of free time I have when asked to vote.
3. Whether I think the debaters are going to read and understand my RFD.

But because it is important to me to be *exacting* (like, I read everything, read it carefully, and am keen to pay attention to every little detail), and because that process takes time, I'm not always going to be willing to vote on every debate.

This is the biggest one for me... And honestly a 1000 character RFD is usually enough, but since people like the super long RFD's I usually only vote on interesting debates :P

So if you ever have a debate on economics, stuff like that, I will vote. It is pretty obvious what my interests are XD

It's usually the biggest one for me too... like there are some debates that I just won't judge... even if asked:

1. God's existence
2. Evolution
3. Abortion

I would judge abortion but not the other two.

Also, this might sound dumb... but fonts matter to me. I HATE the default font. It is Tahoma. It is ok if you make it larger than the default size, but if not I usually zoom in to like 150%... I prefer serif fonts when I read a debate. That's why I am beginning to use Georgia size 12 for my debates.

So if anyone wants to win my favor use a serif font :P

Why do you hate Tahoma? Like 95% of debates on this site are that font so that might be tricky lol

I like it when it is enlarged. Look here: http://www.debate.org...

That is Verdana size 11. I can read the default font, but it looks terrible in long paragraphs.

Another pet peve: quotes like this "". It is actually grammatically incorrect to say: Varrack says "16k is a noob cancer lover". You use " for measurements, the slanted ones are for quoting people. So the default font here makes me cry like that.

I will, and have, voted on debates with the default font. But if you really want me to love ya, use Book Antigua pt 12 or 14, Georgia 12, or Verdana 11 or 12. And write your argument in google docs or word, then paste in to rich text, so you get the correct quotation marks :P

Like bsh1 uses the default font and the "" quotes, but I still like reading debates.

I will take note of that. Usually when I copy my arguments from docs or openoffice and paste them to DDO they turn into some weird font and size that won't change to normal even if I highlight them until I get to the "Review" part and submit it.
YYW
Posts: 36,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 7:16:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 6:57:09 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:54:37 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:53:22 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:51:37 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:48:35 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:21:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

For me, it depends. If a 1000 character RFD is enough for the debaters, then I'll usually be willing to vote. If debaters want more than that (like, a 6 part critique of the debate) then my willingness to vote depends on:

: 1. My interest in the topic (the absence of my aversion to the topic).
2. The amount of free time I have when asked to vote.
3. Whether I think the debaters are going to read and understand my RFD.

But because it is important to me to be *exacting* (like, I read everything, read it carefully, and am keen to pay attention to every little detail), and because that process takes time, I'm not always going to be willing to vote on every debate.

This is the biggest one for me... And honestly a 1000 character RFD is usually enough, but since people like the super long RFD's I usually only vote on interesting debates :P

So if you ever have a debate on economics, stuff like that, I will vote. It is pretty obvious what my interests are XD

It's usually the biggest one for me too... like there are some debates that I just won't judge... even if asked:

1. God's existence
2. Evolution
3. Abortion

I would judge abortion but not the other two.

Also, this might sound dumb... but fonts matter to me. I HATE the default font. It is Tahoma. It is ok if you make it larger than the default size, but if not I usually zoom in to like 150%... I prefer serif fonts when I read a debate. That's why I am beginning to use Georgia size 12 for my debates.

So if anyone wants to win my favor use a serif font :P

It's not dumb....

I will not judge a tiny font debate or a debate that's poorly formatted, unless it's a topic that I'm really interested in or the extant RFD's look fishy.

Yeah I voted on your debate with kasmic because I like you. But his font (comic sans) gives me cancer.

Here are the best fonts, in my opinion, offered on this website:
Tahoma pt 14
Georga pt 12
Book Antigua pt 12 or pt14

I wish forums had rich text so people would use Georgia for their paragraphs. I don't like the forums because if someone rights a long paragraph, I cry :P

Yeah.... there were a lot of annoying things about that debate...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 7:20:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think Blade of truth says he'll vote on any debate in his signature.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 7:22:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 7:13:36 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 2/24/2015 7:01:19 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:56:53 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:53:22 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:51:37 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:48:35 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:21:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

For me, it depends. If a 1000 character RFD is enough for the debaters, then I'll usually be willing to vote. If debaters want more than that (like, a 6 part critique of the debate) then my willingness to vote depends on:

: 1. My interest in the topic (the absence of my aversion to the topic).
2. The amount of free time I have when asked to vote.
3. Whether I think the debaters are going to read and understand my RFD.

But because it is important to me to be *exacting* (like, I read everything, read it carefully, and am keen to pay attention to every little detail), and because that process takes time, I'm not always going to be willing to vote on every debate.

This is the biggest one for me... And honestly a 1000 character RFD is usually enough, but since people like the super long RFD's I usually only vote on interesting debates :P

So if you ever have a debate on economics, stuff like that, I will vote. It is pretty obvious what my interests are XD

It's usually the biggest one for me too... like there are some debates that I just won't judge... even if asked:

1. God's existence
2. Evolution
3. Abortion

I would judge abortion but not the other two.

Also, this might sound dumb... but fonts matter to me. I HATE the default font. It is Tahoma. It is ok if you make it larger than the default size, but if not I usually zoom in to like 150%... I prefer serif fonts when I read a debate. That's why I am beginning to use Georgia size 12 for my debates.

So if anyone wants to win my favor use a serif font :P

Why do you hate Tahoma? Like 95% of debates on this site are that font so that might be tricky lol

I like it when it is enlarged. Look here: http://www.debate.org...

That is Verdana size 11. I can read the default font, but it looks terrible in long paragraphs.

Another pet peve: quotes like this "". It is actually grammatically incorrect to say: Varrack says "16k is a noob cancer lover". You use " for measurements, the slanted ones are for quoting people. So the default font here makes me cry like that.

I will, and have, voted on debates with the default font. But if you really want me to love ya, use Book Antigua pt 12 or 14, Georgia 12, or Verdana 11 or 12. And write your argument in google docs or word, then paste in to rich text, so you get the correct quotation marks :P

Like bsh1 uses the default font and the "" quotes, but I still like reading debates.

I will take note of that. Usually when I copy my arguments from docs or openoffice and paste them to DDO they turn into some weird font and size that won't change to normal even if I highlight them until I get to the "Review" part and submit it.

You can change the font and the size in the rich text menu. Highlight it all, choose the font you want and the size. You don't have to change it--most people are chill with the default font--I am just a freak. I like either large Verdana or medium Georgia :P

Also, I am beginning to steal Roy's method of putting the source in the text and not at the bottom because I think it is easier for readers to click sources if they are interested in the content. To me, if I read, it doesn't matter much. But I think some voters would like that. It probably doesn't matter, because Blue has a 98% win ratio and puts them on the bottom, but that's what I am doing now anyway XD
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 7:23:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 7:22:12 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Also, I am beginning to steal Roy's method of putting the source in the text and not at the bottom because I think it is easier for readers to click sources if they are interested in the content.

This should definitely be used more often.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 8:08:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 7:23:38 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 2/24/2015 7:22:12 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Also, I am beginning to steal Roy's method of putting the source in the text and not at the bottom because I think it is easier for readers to click sources if they are interested in the content.

This should definitely be used more often.

Oh you like that? kewl
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Raisor
Posts: 4,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 8:43:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 7:22:12 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Also, I am beginning to steal Roy's method of putting the source in the text and not at the bottom because I think it is easier for readers to click sources if they are interested in the content. To me, if I read, it doesn't matter much. But I think some voters would like that. It probably doesn't matter, because Blue has a 98% win ratio and puts them on the bottom, but that's what I am doing now anyway XD

I stole that from Roy too haha.

It's easier to read, easier to track sources when responding, and easier to keep the source number straight.
Raisor
Posts: 4,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 8:50:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 6:51:37 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:48:35 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:21:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

For me, it depends. If a 1000 character RFD is enough for the debaters, then I'll usually be willing to vote. If debaters want more than that (like, a 6 part critique of the debate) then my willingness to vote depends on:

: 1. My interest in the topic (the absence of my aversion to the topic).
2. The amount of free time I have when asked to vote.
3. Whether I think the debaters are going to read and understand my RFD.

But because it is important to me to be *exacting* (like, I read everything, read it carefully, and am keen to pay attention to every little detail), and because that process takes time, I'm not always going to be willing to vote on every debate.

This is the biggest one for me... And honestly a 1000 character RFD is usually enough, but since people like the super long RFD's I usually only vote on interesting debates :P

So if you ever have a debate on economics, stuff like that, I will vote. It is pretty obvious what my interests are XD

It's usually the biggest one for me too... like there are some debates that I just won't judge... even if asked:

1. God's existence
2. Evolution
3. Abortion

On a tier slightly below that I would add death penalty, same sex marriage, and weed legalization.
YYW
Posts: 36,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 9:07:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 8:50:11 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:51:37 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:48:35 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:21:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

For me, it depends. If a 1000 character RFD is enough for the debaters, then I'll usually be willing to vote. If debaters want more than that (like, a 6 part critique of the debate) then my willingness to vote depends on:

: 1. My interest in the topic (the absence of my aversion to the topic).
2. The amount of free time I have when asked to vote.
3. Whether I think the debaters are going to read and understand my RFD.

But because it is important to me to be *exacting* (like, I read everything, read it carefully, and am keen to pay attention to every little detail), and because that process takes time, I'm not always going to be willing to vote on every debate.

This is the biggest one for me... And honestly a 1000 character RFD is usually enough, but since people like the super long RFD's I usually only vote on interesting debates :P

So if you ever have a debate on economics, stuff like that, I will vote. It is pretty obvious what my interests are XD

It's usually the biggest one for me too... like there are some debates that I just won't judge... even if asked:

1. God's existence
2. Evolution
3. Abortion

On a tier slightly below that I would add death penalty, same sex marriage, and weed legalization.

I would totally agree with that next tier... lol
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 9:41:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 8:43:30 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 2/24/2015 7:22:12 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Also, I am beginning to steal Roy's method of putting the source in the text and not at the bottom because I think it is easier for readers to click sources if they are interested in the content. To me, if I read, it doesn't matter much. But I think some voters would like that. It probably doesn't matter, because Blue has a 98% win ratio and puts them on the bottom, but that's what I am doing now anyway XD

I stole that from Roy too haha.

It's easier to read, easier to track sources when responding, and easier to keep the source number straight.

What I do is just do this [source] and then when I am done add the numbers in at the end so I dont have to rearrange all of the [1][2][3]'s
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 9:42:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 9:07:57 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 8:50:11 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:51:37 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:48:35 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:21:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

For me, it depends. If a 1000 character RFD is enough for the debaters, then I'll usually be willing to vote. If debaters want more than that (like, a 6 part critique of the debate) then my willingness to vote depends on:

: 1. My interest in the topic (the absence of my aversion to the topic).
2. The amount of free time I have when asked to vote.
3. Whether I think the debaters are going to read and understand my RFD.

But because it is important to me to be *exacting* (like, I read everything, read it carefully, and am keen to pay attention to every little detail), and because that process takes time, I'm not always going to be willing to vote on every debate.

This is the biggest one for me... And honestly a 1000 character RFD is usually enough, but since people like the super long RFD's I usually only vote on interesting debates :P

So if you ever have a debate on economics, stuff like that, I will vote. It is pretty obvious what my interests are XD

It's usually the biggest one for me too... like there are some debates that I just won't judge... even if asked:

1. God's existence
2. Evolution
3. Abortion

On a tier slightly below that I would add death penalty, same sex marriage, and weed legalization.

I would totally agree with that next tier... lol

The second tier is what I like judging :P
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Varrack
Posts: 2,410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 10:51:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 7:22:12 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 7:13:36 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 2/24/2015 7:01:19 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:56:53 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:53:22 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:51:37 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:48:35 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:21:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

For me, it depends. If a 1000 character RFD is enough for the debaters, then I'll usually be willing to vote. If debaters want more than that (like, a 6 part critique of the debate) then my willingness to vote depends on:

: 1. My interest in the topic (the absence of my aversion to the topic).
2. The amount of free time I have when asked to vote.
3. Whether I think the debaters are going to read and understand my RFD.

But because it is important to me to be *exacting* (like, I read everything, read it carefully, and am keen to pay attention to every little detail), and because that process takes time, I'm not always going to be willing to vote on every debate.

This is the biggest one for me... And honestly a 1000 character RFD is usually enough, but since people like the super long RFD's I usually only vote on interesting debates :P

So if you ever have a debate on economics, stuff like that, I will vote. It is pretty obvious what my interests are XD

It's usually the biggest one for me too... like there are some debates that I just won't judge... even if asked:

1. God's existence
2. Evolution
3. Abortion

I would judge abortion but not the other two.

Also, this might sound dumb... but fonts matter to me. I HATE the default font. It is Tahoma. It is ok if you make it larger than the default size, but if not I usually zoom in to like 150%... I prefer serif fonts when I read a debate. That's why I am beginning to use Georgia size 12 for my debates.

So if anyone wants to win my favor use a serif font :P

Why do you hate Tahoma? Like 95% of debates on this site are that font so that might be tricky lol

I like it when it is enlarged. Look here: http://www.debate.org...

That is Verdana size 11. I can read the default font, but it looks terrible in long paragraphs.

Another pet peve: quotes like this "". It is actually grammatically incorrect to say: Varrack says "16k is a noob cancer lover". You use " for measurements, the slanted ones are for quoting people. So the default font here makes me cry like that.

I will, and have, voted on debates with the default font. But if you really want me to love ya, use Book Antigua pt 12 or 14, Georgia 12, or Verdana 11 or 12. And write your argument in google docs or word, then paste in to rich text, so you get the correct quotation marks :P

Like bsh1 uses the default font and the "" quotes, but I still like reading debates.

I will take note of that. Usually when I copy my arguments from docs or openoffice and paste them to DDO they turn into some weird font and size that won't change to normal even if I highlight them until I get to the "Review" part and submit it.

You can change the font and the size in the rich text menu. Highlight it all, choose the font you want and the size. You don't have to change it--most people are chill with the default font--I am just a freak. I like either large Verdana or medium Georgia :P

Also, I am beginning to steal Roy's method of putting the source in the text and not at the bottom because I think it is easier for readers to click sources if they are interested in the content. To me, if I read, it doesn't matter much. But I think some voters would like that. It probably doesn't matter, because Blue has a 98% win ratio and puts them on the bottom, but that's what I am doing now anyway XD

That's a good idea, but I think it's neat to list sources all in a row at the end. It makes the debate look more formal.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 11:12:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 10:51:10 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 2/24/2015 7:22:12 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 7:13:36 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 2/24/2015 7:01:19 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:56:53 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:53:22 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:51:37 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:48:35 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:21:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

For me, it depends. If a 1000 character RFD is enough for the debaters, then I'll usually be willing to vote. If debaters want more than that (like, a 6 part critique of the debate) then my willingness to vote depends on:

: 1. My interest in the topic (the absence of my aversion to the topic).
2. The amount of free time I have when asked to vote.
3. Whether I think the debaters are going to read and understand my RFD.

But because it is important to me to be *exacting* (like, I read everything, read it carefully, and am keen to pay attention to every little detail), and because that process takes time, I'm not always going to be willing to vote on every debate.

This is the biggest one for me... And honestly a 1000 character RFD is usually enough, but since people like the super long RFD's I usually only vote on interesting debates :P

So if you ever have a debate on economics, stuff like that, I will vote. It is pretty obvious what my interests are XD

It's usually the biggest one for me too... like there are some debates that I just won't judge... even if asked:

1. God's existence
2. Evolution
3. Abortion

I would judge abortion but not the other two.

Also, this might sound dumb... but fonts matter to me. I HATE the default font. It is Tahoma. It is ok if you make it larger than the default size, but if not I usually zoom in to like 150%... I prefer serif fonts when I read a debate. That's why I am beginning to use Georgia size 12 for my debates.

So if anyone wants to win my favor use a serif font :P

Why do you hate Tahoma? Like 95% of debates on this site are that font so that might be tricky lol

I like it when it is enlarged. Look here: http://www.debate.org...

That is Verdana size 11. I can read the default font, but it looks terrible in long paragraphs.

Another pet peve: quotes like this "". It is actually grammatically incorrect to say: Varrack says "16k is a noob cancer lover". You use " for measurements, the slanted ones are for quoting people. So the default font here makes me cry like that.

I will, and have, voted on debates with the default font. But if you really want me to love ya, use Book Antigua pt 12 or 14, Georgia 12, or Verdana 11 or 12. And write your argument in google docs or word, then paste in to rich text, so you get the correct quotation marks :P

Like bsh1 uses the default font and the "" quotes, but I still like reading debates.

I will take note of that. Usually when I copy my arguments from docs or openoffice and paste them to DDO they turn into some weird font and size that won't change to normal even if I highlight them until I get to the "Review" part and submit it.

You can change the font and the size in the rich text menu. Highlight it all, choose the font you want and the size. You don't have to change it--most people are chill with the default font--I am just a freak. I like either large Verdana or medium Georgia :P

Also, I am beginning to steal Roy's method of putting the source in the text and not at the bottom because I think it is easier for readers to click sources if they are interested in the content. To me, if I read, it doesn't matter much. But I think some voters would like that. It probably doesn't matter, because Blue has a 98% win ratio and puts them on the bottom, but that's what I am doing now anyway XD

That's a good idea, but I think it's neat to list sources all in a row at the end. It makes the debate look more formal.

Here is a recent debate I did with my new format http://www.debate.org...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 12:28:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

If I am asked, I will always give it some added consideration but I can't say that I would "always" end up voting on it.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Varrack
Posts: 2,410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 8:14:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/25/2015 12:28:01 AM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

If I am asked, I will always give it some added consideration but I can't say that I would "always" end up voting on it.

Is there a topic that you will *always* vote on or one that you will *never* vote on?
Varrack
Posts: 2,410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 8:44:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 6:51:37 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:48:35 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:21:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2015 6:09:57 PM, Varrack wrote:
For future reference, is there anyone out there who will always vote on a debate offered to them no matter how short or long it is?

For me, it depends. If a 1000 character RFD is enough for the debaters, then I'll usually be willing to vote. If debaters want more than that (like, a 6 part critique of the debate) then my willingness to vote depends on:

: 1. My interest in the topic (the absence of my aversion to the topic).
2. The amount of free time I have when asked to vote.
3. Whether I think the debaters are going to read and understand my RFD.

But because it is important to me to be *exacting* (like, I read everything, read it carefully, and am keen to pay attention to every little detail), and because that process takes time, I'm not always going to be willing to vote on every debate.

This is the biggest one for me... And honestly a 1000 character RFD is usually enough, but since people like the super long RFD's I usually only vote on interesting debates :P

So if you ever have a debate on economics, stuff like that, I will vote. It is pretty obvious what my interests are XD

It's usually the biggest one for me too... like there are some debates that I just won't judge... even if asked:

1. God's existence
2. Evolution
3. Abortion

Is there a topic you will always judge?