Jump to topic:

This new voting removal procedure...

Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 12:16:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
...is excellent. Telling voters why their votes are being removed (and I assume that they are being directly contacted about their votes) should go a long way to helping the site not only have better votes, but helping the voter and the onlookers create better votes in the future by giving them examples of what not to do. I think the only negative is that bluesteel has to write out a reason for removal (and probably has red-tape in getting Airmax's approval first), which requires effort and time.

Overall, a clever and practical idea, imo.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 12:39:07 AM
At 2/26/2015 12:16:15 AM, Zarroette wrote:
...is excellent. Telling voters why their votes are being removed (and I assume that they are being directly contacted about their votes) should go a long way to helping the site not only have better votes, but helping the voter and the onlookers create better votes in the future by giving them examples of what not to do. I think the only negative is that bluesteel has to write out a reason for removal (and probably has red-tape in getting Airmax's approval first), which requires effort and time.

I agree. It also allows for further transparency between moderator actions and the public. I think it was indeed a step in the right direction moderation-wise.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 5:15:40 AM

Ya, whoever came up with the idea is pure unrivalled genius who deserves to be worshipped....
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 10:06:10 AM
At 2/26/2015 5:15:40 AM, Envisage wrote:

Ya, whoever came up with the idea is pure unrivalled genius who deserves to be worshipped....

VTL Shaun

But really, it was a great idea.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 11:06:48 AM
VTL Shaun for role claim
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 11:17:55 AM
Had this been around a few months ago, we might still have drafterman.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 11:26:35 AM
At 2/26/2015 11:17:55 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Had this been around a few months ago, we might still have drafterman.

I doubt it.
My work here is, finally, done.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 1:46:30 PM
At 2/26/2015 11:06:48 AM, imabench wrote:
VTL Shaun for role claim

Shaun: 2/6 (JMK, bench)

I'd rather VTL him for death, though. Perhaps we should pressure thett.

DDO's Economics Messiah
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 5:27:00 PM
At 2/26/2015 1:46:30 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
VTL Shaun for role claim

thett's not even in this thread, wtf??
I may or may not be a cat
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 5:28:58 PM
At 2/26/2015 5:27:00 PM, AngelofDeath wrote:
VTL Shaun for role claim

I'm tempted to bus you just so I can 'hammer' you, baby. ;)
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 5:30:13 PM
At 2/26/2015 5:28:58 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
VTL Shaun for role claim

Hammer me all you want babe, i'll take it with pleasure
I may or may not be a cat
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 5:31:54 PM
At 2/26/2015 5:30:13 PM, AngelofDeath wrote:
At 2/26/2015 5:28:58 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
VTL Shaun for role claim

Hammer me all you want babe, i'll take it with pleasure

In that case- why don't we make you lynchproof, and I'll just keep hammering, and hammering, and hammering... ;)
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 5:35:07 PM
VTL Shaun for role claim

I thought he was, to be fair....I need a nap...

But, as a general rule of thumb, you can't go wrong with pressuring the Texan.

DDO's Economics Messiah
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 7:06:25 PM

I appreciate that you and others appreciate the new procedures.

The current presidential administration; Ore_ele and debatability, and Bluesteel, the Voting issues moderator, deserve a lot of credit for these changes. Envisage should get credit too for making a well organized and reasonable case for it.

So far I think things are going well, but it's worth keeping in mind that this, like everything, is a work in progress. I talk to Bluesteel daily about reported votes, and will continue to have discussions with him, and Ore_ele/Debatability about how to improve things. Every member should also feel free to offer their ideas or to contact me, Bluesteel, Ore_ele, or Debatability to discuss anything they like about this or anything else.

To address the issues you brought up regarding the negatives, it's not really an additional burden on Bluesteel to post the review results in the comments since every vote I submit to him requires a reason for deletion already. In the week prior to the current policy, he would already provide his thoughts on why the vote should be deleted, and then I would take action based on that. We did this systematically so that we could deal with the votes quickly and effectively while also keeping detailed records. The only difference now is that those reasons for deletion are now shared publicly, which certainly was a good idea and does make the system better. Naturally, this process does take some time, though as has always been the case, almost every reported vote is reviewed within 24 hours. So far we've been able to continue to do this, and post the result within the same time frame. So while the process does require me to go through the vote reports, submit the relevant votes to Bluesteel for review, and then take action based on his review, this is all still able to be done within the same time frame. Bluesteel deserves a lot of credit for that, and I'm hoping we can maintain that kind of quickness and quality. As things change though, we will adjust to make sure procedures can continue to run as smoothly, and as I said above, we will continue to work on improving things and having both private and public discussion so that we can improve things even more.
Debate.org Moderator
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 3:15:19 AM
At 2/26/2015 12:39:07 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I agree. It also allows for further transparency between moderator actions and the public. I think it was indeed a step in the right direction moderation-wise.

I don't know about the other moderators, but Max does a great job despite not exactly being seen in the public eye. I think the transparency is less important from someone like Max, but yeah, it's a step in the right direction.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 3:16:05 AM
At 2/26/2015 5:15:40 AM, Envisage wrote:

Haha alright. Well done, Mr Envisage =)
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 3:21:31 AM
At 2/26/2015 7:06:25 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

I appreciate that you and others appreciate the new procedures.

The current presidential administration; Ore_ele and debatability, and Bluesteel, the Voting issues moderator, deserve a lot of credit for these changes. Envisage should get credit too for making a well organized and reasonable case for it.

So far I think things are going well, but it's worth keeping in mind that this, like everything, is a work in progress. I talk to Bluesteel daily about reported votes, and will continue to have discussions with him, and Ore_ele/Debatability about how to improve things. Every member should also feel free to offer their ideas or to contact me, Bluesteel, Ore_ele, or Debatability to discuss anything they like about this or anything else.

To address the issues you brought up regarding the negatives, it's not really an additional burden on Bluesteel to post the review results in the comments since every vote I submit to him requires a reason for deletion already. In the week prior to the current policy, he would already provide his thoughts on why the vote should be deleted, and then I would take action based on that. We did this systematically so that we could deal with the votes quickly and effectively while also keeping detailed records. The only difference now is that those reasons for deletion are now shared publicly, which certainly was a good idea and does make the system better. Naturally, this process does take some time, though as has always been the case, almost every reported vote is reviewed within 24 hours. So far we've been able to continue to do this, and post the result within the same time frame. So while the process does require me to go through the vote reports, submit the relevant votes to Bluesteel for review, and then take action based on his review, this is all still able to be done within the same time frame. Bluesteel deserves a lot of credit for that, and I'm hoping we can maintain that kind of quickness and quality. As things change though, we will adjust to make sure procedures can continue to run as smoothly, and as I said above, we will continue to work on improving things and having both private and public discussion so that we can improve things even more.

It's good to know that it isn't too much of a strain on you and bluesteel. I remember how bladerunner tried to make sure that every debate on this site got a vote, and now look at how that turned out. I was just hoping that this new system wasn't too idealistic, and it doesn't seem to be so, hence the praise I gave it. Keep up the good work, Max and everyone =)
YoshiBoy13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 7:52:27 AM
Indeed. If accounts are hacked (very possible), then validated accounts could end up spamming with unhelpful comments in the voting, and skew the results unfairly.
- Just because you're narrow-minded doesn't mean you're always right.